[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

50mm & fixed lens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 50mm.png (1MB, 1884x1285px) Image search: [Google]
50mm.png
1MB, 1884x1285px
Hi /p/,
What are your thoughts on this Pentax SMC 50mm F1.7 / what fixed focal length lens do you recommend?
>>
>>3060695

50mm is great for film and full-frame DSLR's but for APS-C I'd recommend 35mm or even 28mm primes of at least f/2.8.
>>
My thoughts are that this question belongs to the fucking gear thread.
>>
File: rando_snap.jpg (788KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rando_snap.jpg
788KB, 1620x1080px
One of the best pentax-m mount lenses. Some chromatic aberration wide open but besides that it's a sharp lens. There's a Pentax-m and a Pentax-a version, the optics are the same but the A version is for pentax mount cameras with automatic exposure settings and is a little bit more expensive.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 700D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:04:21 09:18:14
Exposure Time1/100 sec
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1620
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3060713
>for APS-C I'd recommend 35mm or even 28mm primes of at least f/2.8.

Could you explain why?
>>
>>3060876
Not him but a 50mm lens on APS-C results in a pretty small field of view for "general purpose" applications - it's basically a short telephoto lens, and while that will work great if you want to do portraits or isolated subjects, if you're looking for something more versatile you should go with a shorter lens.
That said, the lens that you should get obviously depends on what kind of shooting you do and what you prefer. Just today I received my first prime lens and it's a 50mm because I found that many of my favorite shots with my kit zoom were at 50mm.
But if you like taking shots of buildings or scenes with a more natural field of view then you should go shorter.
>>
>>3060884
So, you said that thinking on how many purposes a lens could fit. Alright, I thought about something worse for a moment. I'm thinking about getting this lens for my A6000. I already have the Sigma 60mm 2.5 'Art', but I'm curious about this little guy since I found it damn cheap.
>>
If you're into pentax the pentax-a 28mm f2 or f2.8 are absolutely fantastic
>>
>>3060910
If you already have a 60mm then there's definitely no reason to get a 50mm, at least until you get a decent number of lenses to fill out the lower focal range.
Is there something about the 60mm that you're unsatisfied with? Because a 50mm will look *almost* the same, a little bit wider but not enough to make a difference in the vast majority of shots.
If the price of this lens is literally nothing to you then go ahead, maybe you'll end up liking it more than the Sigma. But if you do then you may as well sell the Sigma because having both of them is pretty useless.
Look into 35mm lenses if you want to actually increase your versatility as a photographer.
>>
>>3060910
It's never going to be as good optically as the much newer sigma you already have. If you want to fuck around with legacy lenses, and want something wider, look into tamron adaptall 28/2.5. They are dirt cheap and surprisingly good optically.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (479KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
479KB, 1000x1333px
>>3060695
Nice lens, I use it for some occasional portrait paired with an X-PRO2.
The sweet spot is from F2 to F5.6, at F1.7 I find it really really too soft, above F5.6 it loose sharpness.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeOnePlus
Camera ModelONEPLUS A3003
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.9.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:04:21 11:47:24
Exposure Time1/252 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.26 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3480
Image Height4640
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Time (UTC)09:37:48
Date (UTC)2017:04:21
>>
Speaking of 50mm prime lenses. I have the cheap 100 USD one from Canon with low aperture. It's great for creating blurry backgrounds but I need to be 5000000 feet away to get everything into frame.

Does ~20MM lenses with low aperture exist for cheap?

Thanks
>>
>>3060741
Lol xd
>>
>>3060695
If I'd go for only 2 primes to carry, my ideal would be these. I like shooting street and portrait so...

>23mm apsc (35mm FF equiv)
general walkaround lens, tight indoors, group shots, standard perspective

>85mm apsc (128mm FF equiv)
general portraiture, subject isolation and bokeh, compressed perspective, distance gives no issues talking to the subject for head/body shots
>>
>>3061091
there's a 24mm f2.8 that's like $150
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.