[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 55

File: a8ea7ca66dbf42ae3f8b85090f87e648.jpg (377KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a8ea7ca66dbf42ae3f8b85090f87e648.jpg
377KB, 1600x1200px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

>simple questions
>dumb questions
>noob questions
>pro questions
>>
>>3056078
when someone leaves a note no your windshield looking to buy your car, how much do you ask for over the going price?
>>
>>3056079
depends how open you are to selling it
>not very open
3-5k over
>very open
1k over

chances are he's hoping for a bargain
>>
>bought canon eos 1200d
>bought canon ef-s 24mm f.28 lens
>aim is to shoot the aurora

"Remember to take all filters off the lenses prior to shooting, including a UV filter, or you will end up with an undesirable aberration on all your images."

do lens coming with filters already on them? i thought that was something you had to add.
>>
>>3056080
>depends how open you are to selling it
just got all the maintenance issues of owning an older "luxury" shitbox under control so not a motivated seller. could get something newer but wouldnt be fully loaded with leather heated seats and shit.
>very open
also broke as shit in my final year at uni
its getting harder to be the blue collar slob trying to blend in with the trust fund kiddies
>>
I recently took an interest in photography after shooting with my parent's camera during summer vacation (I'm still in high school). I recently bought an Olympus Trip 35 because I like film photography and want to start from basics.
What are your shooting tips? It's a pretty simple camera, so I was thinking of bringing with me wherever I go to snap cool shots as I see them. I was planning on making a little "High School" series of photographs sort of chronicling the experience before I graduate.
Also, I shot a few rolls, and although some were good, a lot of pictures were blurry, even though I checked the focus ring. Any suggestions for that?

Anyways, thanks for the help, any input is greatly appreciated?
>>
>>3056088
My biggest tip would be to literally just shoot. Fuck up shots and learn from your mistakes, that's all you can really do.
>>
My 32RH transmission on my 4.0L '97 TJ lurches every time I put it under initial load (as in, shift from neutral to reverse or drive). What's the deal? Is my transmission mount crooked? Is it a suspension problem?
>>
File: IMG_0140.jpg (378KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0140.jpg
378KB, 2048x1365px
>>3056101

(2/2) Found both of these on some urban exploring page on Tumblr

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwarePhotos 1.0.1
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:02:27 19:39:36
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2048
Image Height1365
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: HS_1174.png (803KB, 918x607px) Image search: [Google]
HS_1174.png
803KB, 918x607px
>>3056103

What type of photography is this? (1/2)
>>
>>3056105
Its just out of focus images of nothing.
>>
What filter can I use if there is a lot of haze/smog I want to make clearer?
>>
>>3056207
A polarising filter could cut the reflected light from the smog but i'm not exactly sure.
Theres a dehaze feature in lightroom, you could also try doing multiple/long exposures if the smog is intermittent and blending the differences.
>>
>>3056207
Black and white with a yellow or red filter to remove blue. With digital you're kind of fucked, but Lightroom's dehaze brush can work miracles in some instances like anon said.

>>3056098
Change the blinker fluid
>>
File: image006.jpg (82KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image006.jpg
82KB, 1080x1080px
>>3056078
ohh a drifting thread
>>
>>3056103
>>3056105
Millions of images like this under the hashtag 'bokeh' on the various social and picture aggregator sites.
>>
Is it better to shoot sports in in JPEG? In other words, is the faster shooting speed worth the quality drop?
>>
>>3056992
If your prints don't need to be bigger than a magazine than yes
>>
File: goldring[1].jpg (22KB, 300x395px) Image search: [Google]
goldring[1].jpg
22KB, 300x395px
what's the Nikon gold ring actually made of?
>>
>>3057011
actual 18k gold. the L from Canon's lens are just red ink.
>>
>>3057011
this needs a serious answer
>>
>>3057022
yes but the secret ingredient in the red ink is the blood of a sacrificed Canon factory service center technician
>>
>>3057027
Now I get the why they are so slow even for a minor clean up
>>
>>3057011

actual gold
>>
File: laptops.jpg (65KB, 656x659px) Image search: [Google]
laptops.jpg
65KB, 656x659px
>>3056078
not sure if this counts as /gear/ so i'll post here:

pls halp me pick a laptop, /p/

>>
>>3057150
pls
>>
>>3057150
Dell is only headache. Asus is good. just buy you a Mac.
>>
>>3057366
do you think it is "better" to edit photos on a 4K/UHD display than a 1080p/FHD display? i haven't found a consensus one way of the other; it's about 50/50 saying it's really helpful or just a meme
>>
>>3057366
>just buy you a Mac.
t. gullible brand whore
>>
Where the fuck is last years photo book.
>>
File: IMGP0735.jpg (942KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0735.jpg
942KB, 1600x1064px
At racing events, there's usually a separate fenced off area between the spectator accessible areas and the track limits, as well as a few small elevated grandstands. These areas are for photographers, paying a heavy premium to get access to a few specifically located fence cutouts and elevated areas that all the other photographers paying this premium get.

The last race I went to, Long Beach GP, entry was around $60, and the photo pass entry was $290. There's hundreds of these photographers, and they're all walking around with a huge amount of gear.

My question is who the fuck are these people? I'm guessing there's a few amateurs in the mix, and I'm guessing the different racing series each have a few photographers, the track probably has it's own photographers, teams probably have a photographer every now and then, but it seems like there's a lot of photographers out there that I haven't accounted for. Are there a lot more hobbyists than I expect doing this?
>>
I've been considering getting in to photography for a couple of months now, in that time I've seriously considered getting a Contax T2 as I've loved what I've seen from it. I've mostly just been watching and reading tutorials as I'm essentially a beginner. Do you guys have any recommendations starting with film? Any required readings or useful videos to watch on photography in general? I'll mostly be doing street shooting.
>>
with a full frame or crop sensor is there ever a time it benefits you to go over f11?
>>
>>3057590
Street tracks are different in that the amount of space is limited. Go to any of the real road courses, especially the older ones, and you can get barrier-side spectator areas that are only a few feet removed from where the media stand. And there's no need to fight over elbow room either: you can stand wherever you'd like, and there's plenty of space for everyone.

LBGP is easily accessible for most people though, so you'll see a lot of them crowding around.
>>
>>3057683
try shooting macro or product with f11. so much shallow dof
>>
>>3057683

Sometimes you need more depth of field.
>>
>>3057150
Dell XPS my man
>>
>>3057369
I would personally go the 4K, more real estate in PS since the PS panels on all sides are smaller. Try editing in 1080p vs 720p mode.
>>
Canon EOS 450D + Canon EF 28-90mm or Canon 1100D + 18-55mm?
>>
>>3057366
Spot the clueless mci.
>>
Some questions from someone completely new to the hobby:

>do you guys ever use the automatic mode of taking pictures?

>the selection of lenses is quite overwhelming and I don't know what to look for. How do you guys choose the lens depending on the type of photos you want to take?

>do you keep your dslr with you at all times? If not, do you specifically take some time each week to go out just to look for good places for photos?

Thanks.
>>
File: IMG_2163.jpg (806KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2163.jpg
806KB, 1000x667px
>>3058040
>do you guys ever use the automatic mode of taking pictures?
No lol. Aperture priority is best for dynamic settings. Manual if you're doing landscapes or long exposure crap.
>the selection of lenses is quite overwhelming and I don't know what to look for. How do you guys choose the lens depending on the type of photos you want to take?
A google search will get you many blog posts about choosing your first few lenses, if you have none. If your camera came with some kit lenses, use those until you figure out what you want to do, then buy lenses specific to your needs. Don't spend money you don't need to.
>do you keep your dslr with you at all times? If not, do you specifically take some time each week to go out just to look for good places for photos?
I usually keep mine in my car in case of impromptu trips to interesting places. Otherwise, I try to schedule trips with one or two photog friends a few times a month.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 7D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.7 (Windows)
PhotographerSR
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:04:16 10:59:57
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/6.3
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/6.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3056088
Analyze your shots too. Compare them to photos that you really like. Dont be like me and over-research everything
>>
>>3057739
I second dis.
>>
File: 20170408_115031.jpg (549KB, 1728x972px) Image search: [Google]
20170408_115031.jpg
549KB, 1728x972px
How far can an s7's camera take me?

Pic related

Camera SoftwareGoogle
>>
D700: cop or not?
>>
>>3056088
when shooting film document the conditions (light) and camera settings, so you can get to know what settings to use depening on the scene
>>
>>3058219
I've seen people respond to this kid but is everyone dumb the Olympus trip is 100% auto. You just point and shoot.
>>
File: IMG_2936.jpg (322KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2936.jpg
322KB, 1000x667px
>at /p/'s suggestion bought a canon eos 1200d
>bought a ef-s f2.8 24mm lens
>aim to shoot aurora
>none around atm
>practice shooting night sky

what is wrong with this picture? how can i get the stars more in focus? hints and tips please. i'll throw up a picture

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 1200D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1 (Windows)
Image Created2017:04:17 09:26:10
Exposure Time10 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Focal Length24.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3058040
>Auto
I use manual but I believe the last strawpoll on the subject had an overwhelming majority of /p/ users on aperture priority.

>Lens
Find pictures you like, figure out what they where shot on - grab the closest thing you can afford.

>Habits
Shoot something everyday is what they say, even if its just a cellphone shot of a houseplant.

I keep a chinese action cam in my bag when I don't feel like dragging around my big camera.
>>
shouild i buy a6000? with 35mm f1.8?
>>
File: IMG_2932.jpg (403KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2932.jpg
403KB, 1000x667px
i think the moon phase kinda fucked me a bit. was hoping to get more stars, also i now realise i need to go further out to really escape the light pollution.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 1200D
Image Created2017:04:17 09:23:15
Exposure Time13 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length24.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3058227
no
>>
File: 950[0].png (2MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
950[0].png
2MB, 1200x1200px
sup fellas

i'm currently majoring in multimedia production and took an interest in photography

i just got out of an internship and i'm pretty much broke, currently looking for a job that pays a minimum wage. i know some of the basics of photography and how to handle a semi professional camera like the likes of nikon d3300 and a canon t4i (which is the one my friend has the the one we use in class, respectively). so I have 3 cameras in mind: the nikon D3300 which I'm used to and took a couple of good shots (which costs BRL 2K, the body + a 18-55mm lens), a T5 for 1,6k with also a 18-55mm lens and the T5i for 2,2k, same lens.

the thing is, even though the T5 and T5i boasts the same image quality and a couple of differences in its body, the D3300 is better than a T5 and cheaper than a T5i, even though the T5i it's more of a favorite.

which one should I buy?

even though the T5i is more expensive, i'd be willing to buy it if it means that I won't be having to change cameras once I get further into photography, professionally.
>>
>>3058276
>and the one we use
fix'd
>>
I feel like a dick, but this just sold for 250 usd on a local student art site.. Not a art student, but I feel like that power lines add nothing and it's not in focus.. Perhaps I don't get it or someone wants to support student art
>>
File: ughhhh.jpg (604KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
ughhhh.jpg
604KB, 1000x667px
>>3058299
Said photo

>>3058276
Have you looked into used mirrorless cameras? If you want 4k they'd be your best bet or a used canon 70D

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 70D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.4
Image Created2017:04:02 21:21:00
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length85.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3058300
i've never trusted used tech-goods, specially cameras in regards to lens conservation and clicks amount.
>>
>>3058303
btw. like I said, price is of matter since i'll be making a minimum wage and a 70D is just too much expensive
>>
>>3058305
B&H and KAH are both excellent places to buy used gear with that come with warranties along with being heavily checked. I got my Leica M2 through B&H and it was as under rated in condition.
>>
>>3058326
i'm sorry, I'm brazilian. i'm sure those stores are out of my league
>>
>>3058300
lmao the powerline that goes right through the horizon
>>
>Full Frame
>Everyone talks about it
W-What is it and why is it important
>>
>>3058330
And it sold for 250 bucks...Sadly it gets worse with the others.. I can't even.. But this was a great push to sell prints with the tagline of me being a student...
>>
>>3058331
muh sensor size
>>
>>3058331
It means the sensor is the same size as a standard 35mm film frame.

It's important because most old lenses and most modern professional level lenses were made to cover exactly this size.

The only drawback is that they are more expensive than smaller sensors.
But the differences are getting smaller as technology advances.
>>
Is Canon's autofocus better?
>>
Anybody can recommend a good monitor for photo editing etc under 250euro?
>>
>>3058225
>how can i get the stars more in focus?
make a Bahtinov mask for your lens and focus on a bright star with live view at maximum magnification
>>
Crop freely or by aspect ratio? I've always cropped autistically by aspect ratio when working with digital, but recently attended a darkroom course and realized that 1) chances are you're gonna crop from 3:2 because paper has different dimensions and 2) you're probably getting ballpark ratios at most if you crop

So has my autism been stupid all along?
>>
>>3058564
For very moderate crops, such as to compensate for viewfinder inaccuracy and optical crappiness towards the edges, I try to retain the aspect ratio. If I'm discarding lots of stuff because of being at minimum focus distance or something, I usually prefer 1:1 just because it looks better on wide screens than portrait orientation does.

Your problem is making up a stupid rule and then following it like it meant something. So yeah, clever people don't try to avoid walking on a crack on the sidewalk.
>>
Can I get "roll thread" picture please.
>>
I don't understand nothing about photos, camera and other things.
I want to build drone to spy people, normally drones are equipped with gopro clones, which have wide view. So, if I want to spy on people, I'd need a different kind of camera, right? Something with a tight lens or a bigger focal distance.
>>
TIFFS !!
what image viewer do you guys use for previews of big TIFF files ?
i like to browse the film scann tiffs then open on ps etc.
what can you recommend me ? windows 7 OS
>>
>>3059177
>bigger focal length
you can look up google for focal lenght comparisons

>>3058394
idk maybe dell ? dell is always good i believe

>>3058387
all DSLR autofocus are good/ fast
but the cameras are getting shit. if you're not shooting nascar then get any camera with decent af speed

also need this to be answered pls
>>3059257
>>3059257
>>3059257
>>3059257
>>
>>3058331

It's important to help reduce noise in comparison to a comparable crop sensor.

Also the same FOV on a crop sensor will have more distortion than on a full frame since the focal length will be shorter. This is important for portraiture and architecture mainly, however I'd say it's just important full stop.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Image Width1985
Image Height1800
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:04:22 10:26:41
Image Width1590
Image Height1196
>>
>>3059288
>Also the same FOV on a crop sensor will have more distortion than on a full frame since the focal length will be shorter.

This is wrong.

Focal length doesn't cause distortion, subject distance does.
Same FOV means same subject distance so same distortion.
>>
>>3059257
Haven't tried it with TIFFs, but FastStone is very fast with (big) raw images and I'd imagine with TIFFs as well.
>>
>>3059177
I doubt you'll have much luck with a telephoto lens on a drone.
The image will be extremely shaky and hard to aim.
>>
>>3058387
>Is Canon's autofocus better?

High-end Canons and Nikons are very closely matched.
Maybe Canon's high-end is a fraction better but it's barely noticeable.

The difference between high-end and low-end models of either brands is much bigger.
There are also considerable differences between generations.

ie: camera model matters far more than brand.
>>
>>3059291

If we are referring to the comparison of sensor formats in relation to optical distortion to somebody who has no clue - it is simply easier to explain it in these simple terms.

Also you yourself are confusing angle of view and field of view. They are different. Angle of view is in relation to the lens only. Field of view is determined by the camera and lens combination.

>>3058331

https://photographylife.com/equivalent-focal-length-and-field-of-view/

Read this if you really care.
>>
>>3059303
>f we are referring to the comparison of sensor formats in relation to optical distortion to somebody who has no clue - it is simply easier to explain it in these simple terms.
Your words are pure disinformation. Same FOV never leads to perspective difference regardless of focal length. Reread your bullshit pls.
>>
>>3056078
What's the best way to compress raw image files?
>>
>>3059380
Convert to DNG with small or no thumbnail. It can be both lossy and lossless and it does not even look extremely lossy in lossy mode.
>>
File: boringmikucake.jpg (172KB, 644x720px) Image search: [Google]
boringmikucake.jpg
172KB, 644x720px
How do I photograph my son's birthday cake in a pleasing way?

It just looks boring and waxy. I swear, it's a delicious ice cream cake.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Image Created2017:04:18 21:16:02
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width644
Image Height720
>>
>>3059399

No flash, my man.

Also, don't let your son play with barbies or else he'll grow up into a queer.
>>
>>3059400
I didn't use the flash. I just put it next to a luxo lamp.

My son was conceived to Hatsune Miku music, so her presence on the cake is meaningful.
>>
>>3059401
use a natural light my friend, also try looking up for a reference in google
>>
>>3059399
>How do I photograph my son's birthday cake in a pleasing way?
Use backdrop, arrange lighting builbs manually to your taste - no ceiling bulb!
>>
>>3059404
Well, it's nighttime now. So, in the morning, I guess.

Thank you for all the advice. I want the family to be impressed when they see it.
>>
>>3059400
What? He should use the flash because it's dark??
>>
>>3059417

then use natural light. front flash just makes everything look extra shiny and greasy. it's the worst possible lighting for food.

the best possible is a north-facing window with a silver reflector to add fill light.
>>
>>3059419
>silver reflector
I'm too ghetto for this. Should I just put a lamp behind the thing?
>>
>>3059431

aluminum foil works extremely well. don't use a lamp because it'll have a different color cast than the blue light coming from the sky.
>>
>>3059433
Bless. I'm going to get a good picture now, I think!
>>
>>3059392
TY anon
>>
>>3059399
This is a boy cake? Wtf?
>>
hey /p/ shooting film for a long time, just into DSLR a couple months ago and the photos look flat as hell so i shot in RAW this past week and now i need to get photo processing software to finish my photos up.

>is adobe creative cloud worth getting?
>or just lightroom?
>should i/ where to torrent?
>>
>>3059486
Of course.
>>
>>3056081
No.yes.
>>
>>3056207
A facemask would filter the smoke away, try that
>>
>>3057573
Up ur ass turn right
>>
>>3058300
Yeah fucking modern art nonsense and all that
>>
>>3059303
You are wrong pls focal length means no shit to distortion, phone cameras have focal lengths of a few mm yet are perfectly fine.
>>
>>3059399
Ur son will browse 4chan all day just like his old man
>>
>>3059515
Thank you.
>>
File: junk.jpg (830KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
junk.jpg
830KB, 1000x1000px
Are there any tips to choosing a color filter for B&W tography? I lack vision, they all look good/bad to me :[

Image Width1000
Image Height1000
>>
File: Olympus OMD EM5 Mark2_Snapseed.jpg (197KB, 992x596px) Image search: [Google]
Olympus OMD EM5 Mark2_Snapseed.jpg
197KB, 992x596px
My parents gave me their Olympus OM-D E-M5 ii since it's gathering dust, and I'm looking to get better and learn more about photography.

Is it good for a beginner? Is it awful in general? Why/Why not? Should I be looking at a non-stock lens if I'm going to be using it primarily for street photography?

Thanks in advance!

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width992
Image Height596
>>
>>3059523

That's because it's a shit photo with a limited color range.

Red is for that dramatic dark sky effect that so many artsy black and white photos have. Yellow and orange have a similar effect, just with different intensity.

Blue looks like shit 90% of the time but can make for dramatic portraits of crinkly brown people, and of architecture and shit at dusk.

Green is instant art and is pretty much the best one to use in most scenarios.
>>
File: yes.jpg (326KB, 1000x1050px) Image search: [Google]
yes.jpg
326KB, 1000x1050px
>>3059603
wow you're right anon, green is bottom left

Image Width1000
Image Height1050
>>
>>3056105
>>3056318

>tfw posted an experimental bokeh picture like this on Instagram
>first picture I had someone ask me for a print of
>>
>>3059584
Just use it.
>>
>>3059584
/p/ will shit on it for using a Micro Four-Thirds sensor ('cause memes, mostly), but it's a pretty good camera. probably a little complicated for someone completely new to photography, but ask your parents for the manual or download it online and just go out and shoot and you'll learn what all the buttons and dials do fairly quickly.

what kind of lens did it come with? and if you didn't already know, m43 cameras have a crop factor of 2x, so a 25mm lens on your Oly will be equivalent to a 50mm lens Full Frame/35mm camera (which is the default when people write or refer to focal lengths)
>>
>>3057150
Middle, ssd will make it fast as hell, especially opening, importing and exporting.
>>
>>3056992

You mean, faster write speed to disk? Your shutter speed determines the shooting speed. Get a 1066x card, write speed becomes a non-issue unless you're shooting 15+ shots in a burst
>>
What are my snapshits worth? A regional car club wants to use my pictures in their bimonthly magazine. Is it worth trying to wrangle money out of them, or would it be better to get exclusive access or other intangibles instead?
>>
>>3059639
Oh yeah, gonna use the shit out of it even if everyone thinks terrible.

>>3059647
What effect will the crop factor have on pictures? Will it just mean that certain focal lengths will look different than on other camera bodies?

I'm not entirely certain how to describe lenses, but its 12-50mm and has options between manual zoom and electronic zoom as well as a macro option.
>>
I only have one battery for my D610. Is it worth it to buy Nikon batteries, or are generic batteries ok? Its like 50$ for a nikon battery from my local store, or 20$ for STK battery from amazon.
>>
>>3060628
It's generally OK. You might have slightly less actual capacity than Nikon batteries, but you can usually pick up 2 off brand ones for the same price as 1 Nikon. Pick the well reviewed brand, Wasabi or Watson or similar, and it shouldn't melt your camera or anything.

I think you can get 2 wasabis with a double charger for $70 in the states. Jelly as fug leaf here.
>>
>>3060635
I'll get you a set and mail them to you, canadiabro
>>
>>3057369
Just make sure it's matte and IPS.
Especially on a laptop because you won't be able to control reflections everywhere.
>>
>>3059502

You can change the way your DSLR makes JPEG's.
Make them as vivid as you like.
With Nikon it's called "picture control" not sure about other brands.

If you do want to shoot raw, then Lightroom is definitely the best program to start with.
Maybe add Photoshop later on if you want to do heavy editing.

Darktable is the best free alternative, but it's not as good and doesn't run on Windows only OSX and GNU+Linux.
>>
What post processing software should I get? Also I dont plan on buying it
>>
>>3060663
DCRaw + vim.
Just convert to text format and edit the pixel values.

Do it, freetard.
>>
>>3060087
>What effect will the crop factor have on pictures?
Practically nothing, unless you are planning to adapt full frame lenses to use on your Olympus.

If I was you, I'd just stick to lenses made for m43. Olympus and Panasonic make some good ones, and some third-party lenses are out there, too, but they aren't as common as for other formats.
>>
File: images (14).jpg (13KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (14).jpg
13KB, 443x332px
I bought an old canon zoom lens and it's not the cleanest. Is there a way to open up canon lenses to clean them?

How does stuff even get inside of them anyway?
>>
File: x-picture.jpg (1MB, 1545x1024px) Image search: [Google]
x-picture.jpg
1MB, 1545x1024px
the photo attached was taken about 30 years ago by my mom. it has been our family's "ghost" picture. i recently discovered it again as i hadn't seen it since i was around 10. i'm 33 now.

question: not saying it's of a ghost, would just like to know what could have created this image of the shadowy figure? it's not a double exposure cause i found the negative and there's no other person on either side of the negative. everything seems blurry, i'm thinking maybe somebody was moving when accidentally took picture. when picture was taken, my mom swears nobody else was in the room with her.

any ideas? thanks.

Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelEZ Controller
Camera SoftwareEZ Controller 6.50.008 (160222)
Image Width1545
Image Height1024
>>
>>3060832
Spooky but cool as hell, those wispy bits are the best part.

I got no idea though
>>
File: Resized.jpg (377KB, 1000x652px) Image search: [Google]
Resized.jpg
377KB, 1000x652px
>>3056078
How do I best avoid noise when taking a photo of landscapes? I've worked on some photos in LR to try and mitigate the noise but I'm not really satisfied. This picture in particular seems to maintain it's noise no matter what I try.

>This was taken literally my first ever trip out with a camera just starting out so please be as judgmental as possible as I'm all about improving

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Image Created2017:04:20 19:55:05
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length18.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3060835
thanks. yeah, i'm no photographer and have no idea what would have created that figure-like thing. it's been a family mystery.

i would really like to get to the bottom of it. i'm at the point where i would like the negative analyzed forensically to get some answer.
>>
>>3060866
Its probably a ghost. Go back to that room and take some pics
"they say she still sits in front of that window to this day... 30 years later..."
>>
>>3057011
Related question should I paint the gold ring around some of my cheap lenses for shits and giggles, and if yes, what paint to use
>>
so bought a second hand canon eos 1200d.
came with cds n' stuff
laptop has no cd's

how do i update the software on the camera? can't find a download for the eos utility thing, only updates. :/
>>
>>3060925
sorted. all g.
>>
File: 20170401_071435.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170401_071435.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
How to get gud

I'm a super shitty beginner and my gf wants me to be better at taking photos, mostly of her

Here's a pic I took from my cp, how is it for a beginner?

Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelSM-G530H
Camera SoftwareG530HDCS1AQB1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image Width2448
Image Height2448
Image OrientationRight-Hand, Top
Image Created2017:04:01 07:14:34
Exposure Time1/332 sec
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness6.7 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length3.30 mm
Image Width2448
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDH08QLHL03AY
>>
>>3060940
Do it for yourself. No matter what anyone says being "good" is entirely subjective if you like your picture.
Taking pictures of a significant other is very nice though and really all you have to do is probably make her look cute, dreamy, sexy, whatever and she will like it.
as for that pic.. its fine i guess if the exposure and lighting were better it would be fine too.. go out with an idea and take pics, it will help a lot more than just a random snap that meant nothing
>>
>>3060861
Play around with the settings, if you have a steady hand or tripod you could do bracketing.
or you could overexpose the sky a bit to get shadow details then bring the sky back in Lightroom with an adjustment brush dialing exposure down for that adjustment.

depends on the camera, mine seems to be better at recoverying shadows than highlights for example so I try not to overexpose too much.
>>
I always see people talking about DR when discussing cameras and having the ability to push 3-4 stops this and that. But who actually has to push their picture by 4 stops of light? Or is there something else a 4 stop DR sensor does better than a 2 stop DR sensor?
>>
File: X-700-brocure.jpg (72KB, 600x843px) Image search: [Google]
X-700-brocure.jpg
72KB, 600x843px
I posted in /fgt/, but the thread died and the ony response was a super salty brandfaggotry shitposter.

So I have a bunch of MD lenses (fuck you, phillip reeve, for getting me hooked on manual lenses) and want an MD body.

Thinking an X-700 or X-500. How much should I spend? Is the motor drive worth it?
>>
>>3061067
I'd get a non-electronic Minolta desu, I had too many just die on me before. Currently using a SRT-101. It's fully manual but it has a built in light meter that's pretty reliable
>>
>>3060698
Thank you <3
>>
>>3061068

Whats shooting on the SRT-101 like?

I tried an X-500 before, and the thing I liked about it, was it showed both my selected shutterspeed and the metered shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

It would also warn me if my selected shutterspeed was too low for handheld shots.
>>
>>3061066
It's not the whole photo being pushed 4 stops, it's shadow detail being brought up 4 stops or whatever. It's the ability to shoot higher DR scenes with ETTR and push the dark areas until they're nice and visible. Yes, in most cases, you might only need 2 stops, but as with most things, more is better or at least nice to have.
>>
>>3061114
Exactly.

For me the high DR is mainly about preventing the skies from blowing out.
>>
>>3061102
yes the shutter speeds show in the viewfinder.

The camera does not warn you about the shutter speed for handheld shots, but that's not something that the camera can determine for you anyways desu.
>>
The camera on my phone sucks so I want to get a nice digital camera, would a first gen Ricoh be a good choice? I love how the b&w looks but how is color photography and low light? There's a first gen for 110 dollars on Craigslist in mint condition, is it worth picking up or should I talked the seller down? Thanks.
>>
>>3060832
double exposure
>>
>>3061354
buy a Sony a6300
>>
>>3061505
It's pretty pricey, how much better is it than the a6000 or Ricoh gr?
>>
File: IMGP0605.png (812KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0605.png
812KB, 1000x662px
I suck and I'm getting worse. I fucking love photography, and I know a lot about it, but I just fucking suck. All day I get inspired to photograph stuff and then when I do bring my camera with me I take nothing but shit. I've lived in the most ridiculously photogenic places and whenever I make all the effort to go out and capture them it's a gigantic waste of time.

I don't know what to do, I need someone who wants to go out togging with me I think. I just keep getting discouraged and don't take my camera out anymore. Help /p/
>>
>>3061653
iktfb

>I fucking love photography
this is all that really matters
>>
>>3061653
Quit and sell your gear to someone who isn't a whiny loser
>>
>>3056078
is it there are no speedbooster for nikon body to nikon lenses?
>>
>>3062201

Because speedboosters don't work like that.
>>
File: 1366158616455_cam.png (56KB, 329x455px) Image search: [Google]
1366158616455_cam.png
56KB, 329x455px
>>3062171
>>
>>3060940
Is that Philippines? mah nigga
>>
>>3062206
so if I really want a speedboster, then i must use a lens that is larger than the sensor?
>>
What are some good sites for LR presets that ain't all about imitating VSCO? I don't want to use presets other than my own, but often time I found myself curious about how people come with those effects.
>>
>>3062228

No, speedbosters require space.

You must use a camera with a mount that has a flange distance shorter than the mount of the lens you intend to use.
>>
>>3062246
ahh ok, so in theory, if I have a lens that has a longer flange distance than the nikon ones then it will work? checking from wikipedia, maybe a lens for pentax645 would work? (excluding the problem of adapting mount)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
>>
>>3056078
is it a good idea to shoot at 60fps so I can lower it down to 24 or 30 if I ever want to in the future?
>>
>>3062254

Yes.

But you lose autofocus. And many cameras lack proper manual focus assists, which means it will be a bitch and a half to use.

Honestly, it isn't worth the trouble on DSLRs, mirrorless is a different story.
>>
>>3062283
It was just a thought. It is a pain in the ass to focus manually with that small viewfinder. I had a few minolta lenses from the film camera and tried to use them on my nikon with a cheap adapter. At best, maybe two thirds of the shots are in focus.
At least I got a better understanding now.
>>
>>3062268
>60fps played at 24fps
iirc It will look like slow-motion, but I think there is a fix for that in editing software
>>
File: received_1515210065179878.png (1MB, 1213x792px) Image search: [Google]
received_1515210065179878.png
1MB, 1213x792px
What is this violet shit and how do i get rid of it?
>>
Found some old 35mm cameras from my parents and started shooting up some film the past couple of weeks, but i'm not sure where to develop the film. My local CVS charges about $14 per 24 exposures. Walmart is a bit cheaper but they charge a development fee (woman on the phone didn't know how much the fee was).
I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to just ship the rolls to a lab instead of trying somewhere local. I'm from Houston Tx if that helps.
>>
>>3062452
You have a bad case of the dreaded purple fringing (PF). To avoid it, stop down when shooting or get a better lens. You can generally remove it in post (software like Lightroom has specific tools for this purpose), but the results aren't always perfect.
>>
>>3062473
You should google film developing in your area first. There seems to be a few from what im seeing.

To my knowledge Walgreens and CVS dont give back negatives for whatever reason so youll never be able to make copies. 14 dollars is around what i pay (11)
>>
>>3062484
$14 just seems pricey, especially since I already have 4-5 rolls that i'll be trying to develop within the next month
>>
>>3062478
Thats wierd because I just got this new canon 1.8f 50mm lense a week ago, though my body is like 8 yrs old( canon 500d)
>>
>>3062492
Did you ever look up the amount of chromatic aberration the lens has?
>>
>>3062492
Well, you should also be aware that while higher quality lenses are usually better at correcting chromatic aberration, some amount of purple fringing is unavoidable if you're shooting at large apertures against bright sky. I think only mirror lenses are supposed to be completely free of the problem.
>>
>>3062489
Film isnt cheap unless you do it yourself.
>>
File: JwnXjdY.jpg (917KB, 1814x2268px) Image search: [Google]
JwnXjdY.jpg
917KB, 1814x2268px
>>3062452
Go to bed Andrius
>>
What is the status of the /p/ book for 2016?
>>
>>3062504
Thanks man
>>
>>3057150
those are literally all shit

get a Lenovo 700/Y700 or an XPS 13 if you can spend a little more
>>
I noticed that I spend a lot of time editing colors in Lightroom trying to make average pictures 'better' when I should be focusing on taking better pictures

Should I set my camera to jpeg black and white for a few months and see if I take better pictures? I only shoot raw right now but I feel like I overthink post
>>
>>3063235
I was thinking about that too. But I thing it depends if the color you want is achievable without having to go into post. If the picture is good and you just need to adjust some lighting and tones then I dont think that means your pictures are bad...
>>
soooo. DPI, whats the deal?

if i export a picture with lightroom at the highest resolution i can get, but set the dpi to 72, then open it in photoshop, save it as 300dpi and print it, then that image will be exactly the same as if i export it in lightroom with 300dpi, right?
>>
Does it make sense to buy a 5D Mark II today, knowing that all the cheap ones are used and abused?
>>
I really want to get into that sweet, sweet art grant whoring game - however it turns out the definition of a "Professional" is not inline with "Freelancer" and that someone needs to come to me with more than just some portraiture work.

My question is this, how do I get work outside of basic freelancing?

Should I send my portfolio to local galleries, should I just keep grinding until eventually someone throws me a bone?
Should I just embellish my art grant applications until eventually I get a judge who doesn't care that much?
>>
Are there any decent DSLR cameras I could get for less than $550 USD?
>>
>>3056078
I shoot with a dslr, but what factors should I consider when I'm thinking of printing one for personal keeping, for say future portfolio images and such?
>>
File: Danny 1.jpg (724KB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Danny 1.jpg
724KB, 4928x3264px
>>3065590
I use a Pantex K50, not the best for filming but here's a sample of quality, even though I'm pretty shit bruh

Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-50
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Windows)
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)57 mm
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:02:26 15:36:59
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length37.50 mm
Image Width4928
Image Height3264
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastHard
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeMacro
>>
Recently went through some old old boxes from my parents and found two old manual film cameras. First is a Vivitar 220 / SL, and the other is a Minolta SRT-200. Both seem to be working as far as mechanics, but I plan on buying a couple rolls of film and going out to test them. If they both end up work I'd like to get into film photography over the summer.
The vivitar has a 50mm 1:1.8 vivitar lens, and the minolta has a minolta md 50mm 1:2 lens.
Question #1 are these lenses okay for starting out, or should I try to look into finding some other cheap lenses that would be better?
Question #2 If I develop my own film, and take it to get scanned and printed, would it just be the same cost wise as sending it to get developed too? Thanks in advance
>>
Noob here.

Been using my old as fuck 700d for amateur stuff to some success, but i'd like a camera that can focus worth a damn.

Heard the new 80 is a dream, but is there any other i should consider?

Also, what is the best focusing type to use?

Been zoom/manual alright, but i miss great action shots.
>>
>>3066049
a9
>>
File: K50_1855WR_AW.jpg (446KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
K50_1855WR_AW.jpg
446KB, 1600x1066px
>>3065664
i also use this camera and i think it's the bees tits. also, weather sealing.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image Width1600
Image Height1066
>>
Climate March tomorrow. Should I go and take photos? As a conservative I find the notion of being surrounded by a bunch of hippy liberals to be utterly disgusting. I mean, I dunno, would you bother showing up to take photos at a rally for something you don't personally support.
>>
>>3066108

Probably a bunch of funny signs.

And some super weirdo hippies.
>>
I have a D3300.

I want to buy a 50mm prime lens so I can practice my portrait skills. Going to be shooting [spoiler]my sister[/spoiler] Can someone tell me the difference between these two?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html/prm/alsVwDtl

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766516-USA/Nikon_2199_AF_S_Nikkor_50mm_f_1_8G.html
>>
>>3066108
>man-made global warming isn't real
you're a fucking moron
>>
>>3066139
The first one has no built-in autofocus motor. So it won't autofocus on your d3300 and you'll have to manual focus. Other than that the aperture blades in the af-s are rounded and make for slightly better bokeh
>>
File: P1020236 TWO.jpg (717KB, 1000x752px) Image search: [Google]
P1020236 TWO.jpg
717KB, 1000x752px
I have a Lumix G7 I usually use for Videos but from time to time I do party photography for friends and use an old flash for that, which I have to level manually.
I use the histogramm included in the camera for checkinf photos and I now noticed that even if the histogram displays no clipping or overblowing, the RAW files are still overblown. I use darktable on Linux for editing.
What's the reason for this?
The histogram is divided into 4 parts and generally, if the most upper level is in the last quarter, it is well blown out beyond any saving grace in the RAW
The attached image is adjusted for exposure to show how much the highlights are blown out

Equipment MakePanasonic
Camera ModelDMC-G7
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.16
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image Created2017:04:29 17:47:22
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height752
Exposure ModeAuto
Image QualityUnknown
White BalanceAuto
Focus ModeManual
Spot ModeUnknown
Image StabilizerOff
Macro ModeNormal
Shooting ModeAperture Priority
AudioNo
Flash Bias0.00 EV
>>
>>3059288
she looks pretty ayyy no matter what the focal length is
>>
what's the proper way to use a flash, and when exactly to use it?
>>
>>3066282
You use a flash to add light. How and when depends on what you're shooting. Go through strobist and see if that gives you some boilerplate understanding.
>>
File: 00I0I_ju24CSNPawl_600x450.jpg (26KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00I0I_ju24CSNPawl_600x450.jpg
26KB, 600x450px
What camera is this? someones selling on it on craigslist for 50 and I'm seeing if its worth it.
>>
>>3066449
Is this a good deal, I searched up the lens, and from what I can tell the lens itself is worth 100-300
>>
If I am going to take a long exposure shot using the timer/bulb function (my camera only goes up to 30s) how should i compensate with my f stop?
>>
Is quality lost when converting your film negatives into digital files?
>>
>>3066486
Day or night? If it's going to be bright you'll need a neutral density filter for sure. If it's night you'll have to speriment a little. Depends on the shot and how bright the lights are gonna be.
>>
>>3066461

not a good deal
>>
>>3066513
yes obviously
>>
Can anyone help me? when using my a6k and a Samyang lens on raw my pictures turns out to be muddy/grainy.

even with proper lighting it end up like shit. I know I have a fault since everything seems decent on auto.

is ISO 100-400 too low indoor with lights? is there any cheat sheet for ISO?

whats the best formula to determine what shutter speed to use?
>>
>>3060940
learn about composition techniques, "proper" lighting and post processing with your phone. Practice and take photos erryday desu.

Is that EDSA?
>>
>>3066760
Fuck manual mode and go to one of the priority modes
>Shutter priority for when you care more about freezing/blurring motion
>aperture priority for when you care more about depth of field
Use auto ISO with an upper limit set at like 6400

There's very little reason to use manual these days outside of when you are shooting in a studio and using strobes.
>>
hobby photographer doing senior pictures for a couple of friends. i plan on shooting with a d3300 with 35mm, 50mm and 70-300mm lenses.

tips???
>>
>>3066786
Golden hour, make sure to get some backlit, as thin of DoF as you can.

Head over to pinterest for some posing ideas, shoot those to the friends first.

If possible and if it is friends, kinda make a day of it and have fun.
>>
Traveling with a tripod for my camera.
Can I have it with my carry on?
>>
>>3066866
Google says yes you can. I figured you could though.
>>
>>3066869
Thanks anon.
>>
>>3060940
shit you live in asia and your gf wants better pictures. the bar is high friend, start taking lots of shit with your phone and improve fast otherwise you gonna lose her to a guy who CAN take good pictures of her.
>>
>>3066866
Yes you can. I carry tripods with me overseas and even in carry on as well.
>>
Has anyone entered the contest for imaging-resource and won, even as a day winner?
http://www.dailydigitalphoto.com/cgi-bin/potd/potd_gallery.pl

They have some tips on what they are looking for but some of the winners don't really match what they say they want. If you look back on previous winners, you'll come across some that have poor quality. I've thought it could be from the website resizing images to display them, but I really can't see this being the case since the website owners can't be bad at using computers.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/03/21/want-a-chance-to-win-a-300-gift-certificate-from-adorama-with-your-talents
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/20/how-to-not-win-our-photo-of-the-day-contest

Three people each month out of the month's winners will win gift certificates for a photography website. $300, $200, $100. Two runner-ups are also chosen with no reward. Daily winners receive nothing.
Would you agree with their decisions on who won during previous months?
>>
>>3056078
do you lose a large amount of quality when you use lens adapters?
>>
>>3067190

If it has glass in it, you lose some.

Otherwise, no.
>>
so, took some photos and the fog was too strong! as my Lr doesn't have the dehaze option, what is the best way to give my photo some colors and contrast, beside pushing contrast to +100 and a huge S curve in tone map?
>>
File: $_58.jpg (21KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
21KB, 640x422px
So this is an odd one, regarding hardware.

I'm putting a camera inside of a protective enclosure made of plexiglass and plywood and need a way to mount it to a basic bitch amazonbasics tripod. Basically, I need one of these except with a scew about 1/2" longer to be able to pass through the plywood and still thread into the camera.

What's the best way to go about this here? Drill out the short screw and replace it with a longer one? That's what I'm going with for now.
>>
>>3067740
The tripod screw is a standardised size so you should be able to buy one from a hardware store at the length you require.

Regarding removing the old screw, it should just 'screw' out if you turn it and pull it downwards and out of the tripod as you do so
>>
File: 20170501_205659.jpg (982KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170501_205659.jpg
982KB, 2560x1440px
>>3067741
>>>3067740
>Regarding removing the old screw, it should just 'screw' out if you turn it and pull it downwards and out of the tripod as you do so
No dice, those sneaky podes stuck an e clip in there which keeps the threads from engaging. Is that standard? Idk. BUT, managed to get it out by sticking it in the press enough to bend out of the way. Got a longer screw ordered. Thanks for the help.

Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-G930V
Camera SoftwareG930VVRU4BQA4
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)26 mm
Image Width2560
Image Height1440
Image Created2017:05:01 20:56:59
Exposure Time1/17 sec
F-Numberf/1.7
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/1.7
Brightness-0.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length4.20 mm
Image Width2560
Image Height1440
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image IDC12QSJK01SM
>>
File: fuck.jpg (191KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
191KB, 1000x667px
What are the red squares around the spots and how do I get rid of them? They only show up when I export the image out of lightroom.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D600
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Color Filter Array Pattern814
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)50 mm
Image Created2017:04:26 16:17:11
Exposure Time1/320 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length50.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>3056078
how do I distinguish "good" bokeh from "bad" bokeh? it all looks the same to me
>>
>>3068116
>"creamy" bokeh
dumbfrog.jpg
>>
>>3068116
not intrusive. a great shot with lots of bokeh is at the very most using the bokeh to accent the center of focus. if you're taking shots FOR the bokeh, why
>>
>>3065590
Look at used nikon d7100.
I upgraded from d3100. This is pretty good.

D7200 and d7500 have the same sensor with a few more addons (built-in wifi etc)
>>
I'm a concert photographer but I'm pretty broke and I want to take a swing at graduation photos but I'm only going to advertise to people I know (so fb/ig)
What would you guys charge for a full set of unwatermarked photos?
And whats a good amount of images to deliver as a final product?
>>
Do camera's have a max sd card size?
I know that certain devices have a max compatible size, and I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if they're are any max sizes for cameras.

I have a Panasonic Dmc zs50, is there a max size for this camera?
>>
>>3056078
are any of the freeware alternatives to Lightroom/Photoshop actually good? would rather not pirate and, if I read correctly, you lose your files if you go the subscription route with Adobe and end it
>>
>>3068611
No
>>
>>3068611
>you lose your files if you go the subscription route with Adobe and end it
...no you don't.
>>
>>3068998
Yeah, they can be stored locally instead of the Cloud but I've read about some people not being able to view or edit them
>>
>>3068265
d7500 has d500 sensor
>>
>>3069016
What kind of retard only stores their images on a cloud of a subscription based service? Of course when you stop the subscription you lose access to the cloud storage. That's like expecting to be able to keep using closets in an apartment after you move out.

Only idiots can't access/edit their files because they're too stupid to figure out how to open dngs and psds in not-adobe programs. Solution there is don't only save in Adobe's proprietary format if you can figure out how to open them in another program.
>>
>>3068611
GIMP, ya gimp
>>
want to get into photography
got a Nikon d3100

is that a okay camera?
should i get a new lens instead of the kit one (18-55 something)?
should i just start taking pictures of everything, or focus on one thing (cars, houses etc)?
>>
>>3070400
yes, it's ok for a beginner. a kit lens is fine unless you already know what type of photography you want to shoot, then you can decide what lens or camera system to buy next.

in the meantime, know your camera well, the controls, it's strength and limitations and how to properly use it.

better start learning about framing, composition and having a mindset of always analyzing a scene, practice alot just like any other form of hobby, sport or passion. and yup, start taking photos of people, scenery and objects so you'll know what you want to shoot. learning how to post process your photos properly is also a big plus if needed.

t. someone who still uses a Nikon D80 and an old chink camera phone
>>
>>3061067
I have an XG-M, if you want it you can have it as long as you pay the shipping.
I got it for $4 and I have no MD lenses to put on it, but it works perfectly, no signs of wear
>>
>>3070473

Thanks, anon. But I picked up a slightly worn X-500 for dirt cheap.

Besides, I live in Japan. It would be like $50 to ship it.
>>
File: 170.jpg (14KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
170.jpg
14KB, 225x300px
I don't want to "get into photography" i'm just tired of my shitty phone camera not being able to take decent pictures of the awesome things i get to see. granted im not sure how much of the problem is actually the equipment but im thinking of getting a dedicated camera to take on my trips and to take some /diy/ hobby photos. maby somthing i'm less hesitant to take out of my bag than my phone because if i drop it and im 3 days from home i'm fucked,

i can get a used cannon sx170is for $100, is this worth it? would it be better than the camera on an iphone 6?
>>
I am fail /p/. I got myself a speedlight and want to do similar to attached. I have no idea how to adjust the flash so that it's not filling the entire photo with light. It's a YN560 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1101196-REG/yongnuo_yn_560iv_yn560_iv_speedlite.html
>>
whats the patrician version of the E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS that comes with a6300?
>>
>>3071837
If you don't want to get into photography, get a nicer phone with a better camera
>>
who is the godly racing photographer? Pretty old, shot film I just forget his name. People post his stuff sometimes, he shot a lot of grand prix stuff.
>>
If leaf shutters open centre out, how is the frame evenly exposed? If the centre is getting more light than the edges, why no harsh vignetting on slower shutter speeds?
>>
>>3072554
Control your ambient exposure first. In this shot there's still some ambient light but it's dimmed. Then play with Flash power til you get the right amount of additional light on the subject
>>
>>3072629
Thank you. I watched a few videos and they said to get it so that the photo is all black and then add the flash in. So I took a photo and the exposure was too low so it was all black and then added the flash in and the picture came out very nice for a product shot, but not for boudoir. I don't know how to change the flash power. I have a Pentax K3 and the YN560 speedlite.
>>
>>3056078
what's everyone's ratio of keepers to garbage when they go shooting? I guestimate I'm at about 1:20
>>
>>3072645
Two things.
Check your camera's sync speed. You need to keep your shutter speed less than that, usually 1/125 or 1/250. If your shutter speed is above that, the flash won't be on for the whole shutter. You can figure it out by taking a photo with the flash at around 1/250". If there's a dark band at the bottom, your shutter speed needs to be lower, if there isn't a band you can maybe make it faster. Or just Google your cam's sync speed.

You can adjust the flash power by using the directional pad in manual mode. If the display reads 1/1, you're at full power, press the left button and it should go down to 1/2, one stop less light
>>
>>3072655
On a bad day 2:1.

I'm Ken, your lord and saviour.
>>
File: IMG_0361.jpg (723KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0361.jpg
723KB, 2000x1250px
>>3072620
How hard is it too google "F1 photographer"?

It's Schlegelmich if you are still wondering.

http://www.schlegelmilch.com

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image Width2000
Image Height1250
>>
File: 20170505_094258e.jpg (361KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_094258e.jpg
361KB, 1000x665px
I did some bracketed shots during my last trip. I'm merging them in Efex Pro now and I need to be slapped on the hand before putting out a bunch of eye hurting turds.

This is my first time attempting HDR and with all the shittalking I've done on overcooked HDRs in the past, I'll admit I'm at a bit of a loss on how to take actual advantage of the expanded DR without making it look like overcooked shit or on the other hand like something that could have been easily pulled out of just a single RAW.

Pic related is my first tryout shot that I just cooked now. I have a feeling that there's something wrong with it and I'm sure I'll hate it tomorrow morning. Any suggestions on which dials to turn down or how to fix it, during merge or in post-merge post?
>>
Anyone use a macro lense, just got one and it its lagging for a few seconds before taking the picture, and the af seems to be very finicky although not sure if thats because of shaky hands.

only used a normal zoom lense before this with manual focus.
>>
File: _DSC5267-copy.jpg (111KB, 960x612px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC5267-copy.jpg
111KB, 960x612px
>>3072738

Macro lenses can be quite slow to autofocus. Many of the have a switch for different 'modes' for af at different distances.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image Width960
Image Height612
>>
>>3072748
i got the tamron 90mm macro, the only switches it has is full and limit and ill be honest i don't know what those mean, the other lense i use has a manual and af switch but this one doesn't seem to, it has the 'm' and 'af' but on some type of ring i can't move.
>>
>>3072760
full means it will focus all the way to close focus.
if you know you're not that close, select limit.
it will not go there and you'll get faster focus.
>>
>>3072769
alright, thanks ill play around with it a bit more, the normal focus lense was much easier to use.

also is it normal that it takes a while to take the picture, im not using a mount and i usually lose original focus by the time the picture is taken.
>>
>>3072784
if youre using a dslr, live view usually adds a pretty significant delay...
>>
>>3072805
yeah im using a dslr but not live view, the lense the camera came with has no delay its just this macro so far which is having a delay.
>>
>>3072725
pls respond, I'm actually starting to think that it doesn't look bad after sleeping on it but I know I'm overcooking it somehow. After 20 years of being a photog I need guidance out of the HDR hole.
>>
File: wpid-86-touge.jpg (195KB, 666x490px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-86-touge.jpg
195KB, 666x490px
Where do i find magazine tier photos, especially 90's ones?
>>
Hey yall, I'm looking to buy my first camera. My friend's selling their nikon d3100 with the standard 18-55mm lens. Is that still a good camera or should I save up and get a newer d3300?
>>
>>3056078
Does anyone else get nauseous looking at photos taken with a fish-eye lens or am I the only one? Bonus points for a scientific explanation
>>
>>3056078

I'm a photojournalist that just got out of school, so I'm only just freelancing right now.

I've been asked to do some headshots for a friend-of-a-friend, and they're willing to pay me.

This person is also a student, and likely doesn't have much money.

What is a good starting price to charge them? I have no idea where to go with this.
>>
>>3073025
Do it for sex.
>>
>>3056078
What should I loom at when buying babbys first dslr? I've only ever into 35mm and I'm not sure what is too shitty for a cheap used dslr. How low should I be willing to go as far as mp goes? I saw a Canon super cheap but it was 8mp and another only like 50 bucks more that was 15mp. Any help is appreciated
>>
>>3073057
sony
>>
>>3073065
I'd rather go with a Canon eos of some kind since there cheap and I'll at least already have a 50mm lens
>>
>>3073027
Cool, but what about something more monetary? I much rather cash than sex.
>>
test
>>
File: nigger.bmp.jpg.png (53KB, 621x614px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.bmp.jpg.png
53KB, 621x614px
>>3073057
>>3073069
Here's your response anon, 4chan thinks I'm a bot and gives me Communication Error when trying to post it and I can't be fucked to figure out which word is it that triggers it.
>>
File: Shoes-Boudoir-Black-white.jpg (346KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Shoes-Boudoir-Black-white.jpg
346KB, 800x1200px
>>3072676
The flash is attached to my camera at the moment as I didn't realize it needed the remote. I thought my camera and the flash would just connect wirelessly.

I have it in manual mode and took a photo with the +/- to where the photo would be black, completely under exposed as per a few tutorials I watched. I then mounted the flash to my camera and when I take a photo 1/60sec, 8f stop, the photo is like a normal photo with all bright and no darkness. I can't comprehend the YN560 instructions on how to turn down the flash amount.

What settings do I need to get similar to the photo attached? I thought the YN560 would be as intuitive to use as my K-3, but it's not. For the most part, I can get photos how I want just by changing a few settings on my Pentax, but now with the added flash I am completely lost. :(

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
PhotographerAlex Kroke
Horizontal Resolution200 dpi
Vertical Resolution200 dpi
Image Created2014:02:02 17:17:19
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
ISO Speed Rating2000
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias-1/3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length54.00 mm
Image Width800
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3073119
Pic related is what I was looking at getting, any Canon fags tell that can tell me how this camera is?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170509-201438.png (264KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170509-201438.png
264KB, 720x1280px
>>3073207
Of course I forgot it
>>
get an i series instead (the type with sensor cleaning) , 3ti and up...
>>
>>3073207
>>3073208
Nikon guy again, Wikipedia compares it to the D90 which for many years has been an unbeatable workhorse and a backup body of many semi-pros shooting DX by choice (nature, sports, ...). But I don't know how 500D was regarded by the Canonfags.

At the same time it's a 2009 body so it may feel like a frustratingly slow and awkward clunker by today's tech standards. I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a D90 in a great condition today, even though I loved it to death back when it was still the hot shit (didn't own one but the office I worked at had a couple and we could rent them as we pleased, it was this that tipped me over to buying a DSLR of my own some time later).
>>
>>3073208
my eos m is better than this shit.
>>
hey guys i thought i would post this picture here because i am a total amateur to photography and you seem to know everything about this whole thing so what i wanted to ask is about the pic i attached to this post.
can you make a digital photo look exactly like this? i know you can make it grainy,noisy and lower the resolution but i'm talking about the colors, the whole vibe of the picture that just makes it look like it's a 80s or 90s old picture.
i would be thankful if you sent me sites, tutorials or just general advice, thanks in advance
>>
>>3073476
Photoshop curves and noise tools. Or use some plugins with film simulation. Or use Lightroom with plugins. Or some photo mobile apps with filters.
>>
so it's totally possible to make digital photos look like this it just takes some time to master those tools you mentioned
thanks for you answer i'll try to get into them
>>
>>3073506
Direct on-camera flash is the most important stylistic part of this picture. It looks a little underexposed, like the flash's reflection fooled the meter. It's also slightly out of focus.

Yeah the rest of the look you can achieve with levels and curves, add grain, crush blacks, maybe desaturate a little. Try VSCO if you have access to it.
>>
>>3073356
>At the same time it's a 2009 body so it may feel like a frustratingly slow and awkward clunker by today's tech standards.
I've never even held a camera newer than my Canon from 2000 so just about anything is an improvement.
>>3073375
What should I get then for good value?
>>
>>3056078
Just to be sure, can I mount my MC/MD lenses on Canon FD cameras? From what I've read they were around the same period and from when Minolta and Canon worked together.
Following along with the fact that Minolta also had a mounting system labeled "FD"
Any clarification would be helpful.
>>
>>3073625
Bump
>>
>>3070473
>XG-M
My 101 recently bit it.
I'm interested...
>>
>>3073202
Anyone to help a newb out?
>>
what models are these?
>>
So shooting jpg on Sony is pointless right? The colors are all jacked up.
>>
>>3074112

Shooting jpeg on anything is pointless.

Besides, your raw will get autoconverted when you transfer with the play memories app. So if you need jpeg, thatd be the easiest way.
>>
Why get a zoom lens when I can just zoom and crop in pp?
>>
>>3074130

Cause there is only so much you can zoom and crop before you have major image quality issues.

Unless you have like an a7rii or other high rez sensor, you wont be able to crop much at all really.

Real life isn't a TV show.
>>
>>3074137
So ka
>>
>>3074139

so da
>>
File: 1363152340977.jpg (56KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
1363152340977.jpg
56KB, 532x800px
I have tons of flash-related questions. I have a Rollei 35 and a Canon AE-1, and a speedlite 177A. How do I use this flash? Can I use it with both cameras? How does it know when to fire? What settings do I use with the flash? I've basically never used a flash before

>pic unrelated
>>
This is a really dumb question but okay here goes

Why does video look worse than still pictures? On the same camera. Like is it possible to get picture still of a video?

If I'm shooting some moving scene or event or whatever is it better to take a video and see if I can find a good frame, or do burst shooting? Why does the picture look better?
>>
>>3074229
I have the exact same question lmao, got a AE-1 program and a 177 flash. Anyone know more about this????
>>
How do I get a better "eye" for photography? I think im ok for a beginner, but Ill go shooting, like a lot of my photos, but when I get home and look at them in detail, I hate all but a few, and wish I did something different. (angle, distance, aperture, etc)
Are there any good books or exercises I can check out to help get better?
>>
I didn't make a Flickr account yet.
Is there an option for private storage on that? I don't want to share, just store. And Google Photos has that 16 megapixel limit for unlimited storage.
>>
>>3074964
Look at lots of photos on tumblr or flickr, or go to a bookstore and look at photobooks and magazines, and figure out which ones you like. Try to reproduce techniques used by photographers you like. It sounds like you've already got an idea of what you like about what you're doing, so just keep shooting and refining that, too.
>>
What settings get a shot like this?

I'm guessing the glow comes from a very wide aperture and fairly quick shutter?

Iso up a bit?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Photographer@cjo_photo
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Image Created2016:01:22 22:36:48
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating1250
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width5472
Image Height3648
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
File: 1.jpg (1MB, 2000x1194px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1MB, 2000x1194px
What do u think about this?
>>
>>3074983
You have all data in exif, just read them
>>
>>3074983
1/80 sec and f/2.0, according to the exif, which is about what I would have expected. The glow around the lights is flare. The auto white balance set the color temp to match the streetlights, so you see the red spill contrasting with that.
>>
File: IMG_2402.jpg (15KB, 163x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2402.jpg
15KB, 163x240px
>>3074990

Image Width163
Image Height240
>>
Is post-processing cheating? I haven't done any processing to any of my pictures as I feel like it's cheating and I should just take better pictures instead of learn to process my pictures well. Maybe I just don't want to learn Lightroom.
>>
New to /p/. How do I know which shutter speed to use depending on what it's like outside? What are the rules of thumb when it comes to sunny, overcast, night time, etc.?
>>
>>3075068
no. post process is an essential part of photography. if you don't do it (or direct it) yourself, you're letting someone else decide how the information you captured with the camera will be represented.
>>
>>3074964
>when I get home and look at them in detail, I hate all but a few
Absolutely natural to come back with 95% garbage, 4% all-right shots, and 1% or less of true keepers worth printing.

>Are there any good books or exercises I can check out to help get better?
Photobooks, photobooks, photobooks. Pick an artist or style you like, suck up your ego, then try to emulate their shots, composition and processing-wise. That's your exercise. Do it a lot. Do it enough and it will become second nature. Over time you'll notice you can start inserting your own style into it.
>>
File: outdoor-exposure-sunny-161[1].jpg (357KB, 1000x935px) Image search: [Google]
outdoor-exposure-sunny-161[1].jpg
357KB, 1000x935px
>>3075073
You are only allowed to shoot in Manual until you memorize Sunny 16 and can apply it in all combinations of f-stop, shutter and ISO without thinking about it.
>>
File: _DSC0233.jpg (728KB, 6016x2424px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0233.jpg
728KB, 6016x2424px
Why doesn't anything in this picture look sharp? I can't nail focus at all with my new d750, but I had zero trouble with my old k3. What gives? Do I just suck?

I have it set on single point AF.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D750
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.1.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Color Filter Array Pattern804
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)24 mm
Image Created2017:05:12 22:39:50
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/9.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/9.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeOther
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length24.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
how to connect external microphone to an iphone 7 plus? I want to film with it
>>
Whats a good starter camera for less than $300?
>>
So I just wanna ask this because I'm in no way shape or form a professional photographer.

So I wanted to buy my boyfriend one of these mini polaroids for his birthday. He treats it more like a hobby, he's not a real photographer, he just thinks its more trendy and cool. So point I'm trying to make, I don't need this to be super professional or anything.

I wanted to buy him the ones Ive seen on aliexpress, because I know he's treating this more as a toy (so I didn't want to invest in a super expensive one) Has anyone bought one from there? I shop there all the time for other things, but I wanted to see if anyone can vouch for the camera quality. Also the film as well? Basically just hoping to get someone's experience if they have one from shopping on there.
>>
>>3075632
They are alright cameras to play around with but it will never be a toy due to how expensive the film is. Also, you can probably get a genuine second hand polaroid for uber cheap that at least can be a collectible if he doesn't want to shoot it.
>>
File: 1411306814025.jpg (613KB, 1280x1832px) Image search: [Google]
1411306814025.jpg
613KB, 1280x1832px
I like to think I know a bit about >muh geer
but one thing has been bothering me lately. Is a lens that is designed from the ground up for crop sensor (i.e. a 50mm dx nikon lens) actually the focal length it claims to be? I know that when using a full frame lens on a crop body it effectively changes the focal length so a 50 would be an 80, but if the lens is designed for crop sensors from the start wouldn't it make sense to just call it what it is?

tl;dr is a crop lens that is designed for crop sensors actually the advertised focal length

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Width1280
Image Height960
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2013:01:15 10:39:28
Image Width1280
Image Height1832
>>
>>3075632
stop by a garage sale or ebay and pick up a polaroid for like $5-10. SX-70's are fun to use as well as look at, although the film is a little bit rare/expensive now. Folding bellows cameras are a little easier to find film for, and have that neat vintage look to them. Plus, you'll be breathing new life into old cameras. I've got a Polaroid 420 that I picked up for $7, and a few packs of the film that cost me like $20 each.
>>
>>3076093

A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens, being used on or designed for a crop sensor does not change that.

The crop sensor ONLY changes the effective field of view of that lens.
>>
Why the fuck is there so much noise in my RAW images? I shoot at ISO 800, should I drop down to 400?
>>
How the hell do I compress my 70 mb RAW files to 1 MB (approximately) JPGs without it being incredibly lossy?
>>
>>3076404

You don't.
>>
>>3074964
check the photos you like from other photogs, study the photog's style, study the photos for around 10 minutes each, deconstruct them, know why they look good, why you are drawn to the photos, then imitate what you have observed and incorporate it to your desired style. also, learn how to post-process tastefully. also practice alot for consistency. treat it like any sport, serious hobby or work.
>>
>>3075632
Or just shoot with a mobile phone, and buy a portable printer (size of a mobile phone), install the mobile app with filters, including Polaroid effect. If you're interested, there's a youtube review of diff. portable printers, stated that the Kodak printer produced the photos where the ink doesn't bleed when splashed with water. Portable printers might be the future trend, I'm guessing leaning more to the female demographic who like taking snapshots. At least you can borrow it from your bf too.
>>
hey, /p/tards! what is a good dedicated flash unit for the sony a6000?
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.