[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zines thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

Can we get a zines thread going?

It's something I've wanted to do for a while (especially since starting working in graphic design) but I'm struggling to a) find a good and interesting subject matter, and b) get good enough photos that I'd want to publish in a zine.

I'm fairly inexperienced with photography - I mainly do / want to do protests, demonstrations and festivals (candid moments of passion/emotion are my favourite), but I'm from a small town and on apprentice wages so it's a struggle to get out there and shoot.

Can people share their own zines, some favourites and / or tips on creating them? I'll drop a link to my favourite below, picture is related - a recent photo from a deomstration converted to mono to be artsy (and because it'd probably be printed mono anyway to save £)

Cheers /p/

https://katedaviesdesigns.com/category/shetland-oo/

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 700D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:04:02 18:45:55
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3051630
>Can we get a zines thread going?
yes we can. ill sure be a slow thread, so youd have to bump it if you dont want it to die too soon.

is that url your own?
>>
>>3051649
>I'll drop a link to my favourite below

Maybe should've been cleared with that - the link (Shetland Oo) is to my favourite zine, or at least the one I've enjoyed the most. Story and lighting is spot on for me, which are the two things I look for.
>>
>>3051652
a zine is as punk as it gets aka. stapled sheets of printed material, specially protests. that link shows a fucking hardcover book, a super posh one at that, thats why i thought you put a wrong link.

you want the first approach. make a dummy. you need to get some A4 sheets of blank paper, fold them in half and make a dummy, then print in small size the photos you want featured in the zine, edit and sequence them and tape them to the pages of the dummy. you need to do that because its the only way to feel what itll be like to flick over its pages.

show results, would be educational for the rest.
>>
>>3051657
once youre done with the dummy you need to make the print files emulating what you got with the dummy but with the actual photos in full resolution/size/etc. then you print and staple it. wa - la, a zine.
>>
>>3051660

I guess in a few years when I'm hopefully more successful I'd be able to move on to high end stuff - storytelling through photos is a little cheesy but something I love.

I'll have a try at making a mock up - I've been editing something small together in InDesign but it'd be a lot better to see it physically.

I'll update when I've got something together, I'm not sure when that would be though, I really need some more good content to stick in there.

Thanks for the suggestion!
>>
>>3051663
>InDesign
you use that after you got the paper dummy right.
>I really need some more good content to stick in there.
zines are supposed to be shitty and precarious, do one with whatever material you have. you can learn sequencing by editing a photo set of fruits from your fridge. the more you do the better.
>Thanks for the suggestion!
np.
>>
File: IMG_5754.jpg (166KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5754.jpg
166KB, 720x1278px
OP back - got around to smashing some stuff together tonight and I'm really happy with how it's turned out - may not be the most impressive thing ever but it's cool to hold my work in my hands as part of something.

I'll dump all (phone) images of the first zine attempt for those interested. CC, tips ect. is appreciated.

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
File: IMG_5755.jpg (238KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5755.jpg
238KB, 720x1278px
OP back - got around to smashing some stuff together tonight and I'm really happy with how it's turned out - may not be the most impressive thing ever but it's cool to hold my work in my hands as part of something.

I'll dump all (phone) images of the first zine attempt for those interested. CC, tips ect. is appreciated.

Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
File: IMG_5756.jpg (241KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5756.jpg
241KB, 720x1278px

Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
File: IMG_5757.jpg (233KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5757.jpg
233KB, 720x1278px

Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
File: IMG_5758.jpg (257KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5758.jpg
257KB, 720x1278px

Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
File: IMG_5759.jpg (245KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5759.jpg
245KB, 720x1278px

Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
File: IMG_5760.jpg (190KB, 720x1278px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5760.jpg
190KB, 720x1278px
And that's the back cover.

Image Width720
Image Height1278
>>
that back cover is lame af
>>
>>3052263
good work man I'm thinking of making one up soon first i just need a few more photographs for what i want to create.
>>
>>3052266

>"We refuse to accept a fascist america!"
>People in england
>>
>>3052435
My favourite was when there was an anti trump protest in York (small rural city in the north)

>Literally constituting two hundred 38-year-old mothers who desperately needed more attention in their pointless middle class lives.
>>
>>3052268
>>3052272
>>3052273
>>3052276
cover is weak as fuck. back cover is turbogay.

the way you laid it out is totally wrong. it looks and reads as a goverment pamphlet. looks "official", has no raw strength, not that there is any of that in the photos, but at least make it look like there was some sort of energy there.

do the layout like a mag, vertically oriented. crop the photos heavily to their bare bones, destroy them. as it is, its visually dry and boring. also no narration whatsoever.

>inb4 i need better shots
no, you dont need better material, you need beter editing skills, this is not a flickr gallery with one photo per page, its printed format, it works different.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.