[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a better 85mm f/1.4 within $100 contemporary or legacy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Is there a better 85mm f/1.4 within $100 contemporary or legacy?
>>
>>3050209
not on pentax there isn't
>>
>>3053525
is there any for canon?
>>
>>3053529
The nifty fifty if you're on APS-C
>>
>>3053540
Thats what im doing atm, but im looking into getting a fullframe some time.
>>
>>3053544
Buy a used 135/2.8, you only have to stand back a couple more steps and the bokeh opens up the same as on an 85/1.4
Or do it like everyone else and get a 70-200/2.8.
>>
>>3053544
85mm on crop is like 135mm. Buy it and the cheapest crop body you can find. Rock up like 2 gun Tony. 28/35mm + 135mm equiv. = badass.
>>
>>3053551
Could you be less of a faggot, please?
>>
>>3053552
No. I did this trick and other photographers said:
>sorry, am I in your way
They voluntarily moved.
>>
File: dave-chappelle.jpg (362KB, 794x529px) Image search: [Google]
dave-chappelle.jpg
362KB, 794x529px
>>3053550
Thanks for the tip my man
>>
I should have been more clear. a) I am a recent Fujifag convert b) the x mount version is about $260

Thank you for your input, because I will probably be buying my second lens next week.
>>
>>3050209
1.4 is memetastic on 85, 2.0 is plenty on an 85. I own the samyang and its been one of my least used lenses, it's soft and low contrst wide open, there's a cold magenta tint to images and the ergo is shit. Also bare in mind, if this is going on a dslr, manual focus won't be accurate until f2.8 unless you have a new focusing screen or use live view.

Just get the oem 1.8 for your mount. Better iq, better balanced lens, will give in focus shots.
>>
>>3050209
Define "better". Helios-40 is an all-around shittier lens in optical measurements but hipsters absolutely love it for its "unique character"
>>
>>3053659
I have owned 3 different copies of the Nikon 85mm 1.8G as well as the Rokinon (for Nikon). Side-by-side, the Rokinon beat the Nikon by every standard besides the ability to autofocus. I typically shoot portraits at f/4 and almost never go wider than f/2.8. There are very few Fuji lenses that can be bought for under $400, definitely nothing near 85mm.
>>
>>3053726
>fuji

Lol, no one asked about toy cameras.

Personally, I've found my canon 85 to be infinitely more usable, and as you say, 2.8 and f4 is the sweet spot, zero need for heavy meme lens.
>>
>>3053709
>better
Great question. For me personally, in this instance - it would be a balance of price, image quality, ease of use, and speed/focal range.

>Helios
For $60, it's hard to imagine that I won't own one at some point.
>>
>>3053728
>toy cameras
Best leave Sony out as well
>>
>>3053744
Lol, I guess that's why e mount is now industry standard for cine and sony fe was the only mount not to lose sales in the last cipa report?

You're anti sony rhetoric just makes you look dumb now that Sony has the platform it's worked hard for outdoing everyone else.
>>
>>3053659
you are a fucking faggot

>soft and low contrast wide open
it's not better than the nikon equivalent aside from autofocus, in fact nothing touches the rokinon/samyang below the sigma art 85mm's price level

>there's a cold magenta tint to images
what the fuck is "setting the white balance manually" oh wait, you shoot film?

>1.4 is memetastic on 85
shooting film is memetastic. also, 1.4 isn't that memetastic on aps-c.
>>
>>3053756
It's pretty funny that if someone hates on Fuji, you can almost smell that they can be baited with shit that would make a sonyfag butthurt.
>>
I ordered the 85mm this morning and I'm already drooling over the 16mm or 21mm.
>>
>>3054376
You don't know what you drool over? How can you decide what focal length you want? Did you buy the 85 just to have it sit on your desk?
>>
>>3054382
I bought the 85 primarily for portrait shots and I intend to use the 16 or 21 or whatever wide angle lens I end up buying for primarily landscape shots. Is it uncommon to own multiple focal length lenses?
>>
>>3053912
hehe, true
>>
>>3053911
>nothing touches the samyang
Lol, yes they do, the samyang is junk

>what is white balance
Understand the difference between a linear and non linear colour shift first sonny.

>film is meme
Lol, new fag.

>I shoot crop
Of course you do you povvo fag.
>>
>Lol, yes they do, the samyang is junk
What do you base this on? Not according to dxo and at least of dozens of other review sites. I tried the old Nikon 85mm 1.4 and the Samyang was better. Yeah, I know, it doesn't matter what I say, because you know better and whatever 85 more expensive than the Sigma that you have is much superior probably (which is why I mentioned that price point).

>Understand the difference between a linear and non linear colour shift first sonny.
Yeah, I understand that outside a graph/chart the difference is barely if at all visible.

>Lol, new fag.
I've been here since 2006, unfortunately. Unless you shoot large format, you are a memer. The threads where people wank over film for its tones are full of people who only ever tried shooting jpeg.

>Of course you do you povvo fag.
I know you don't care, but there are plenty of non-americans and third worlders on this site. In certain countries (eg. Latin America) most crop bodies are 150% or more expensive and look up how much the average person makes in those countries. I know you don't care because mommy and daddy paid for all of your shit and you are a 14 year old autist and have no empathy but that last bit made me mad.
>>
>>3055002
>what do you base this on
Owning one, and 5 other 85mm lenses, none of which cost much more than the samyang.

>difference is barely visible
For you, to me it stands out in nearlyevery shot

>people that like film color only shot jpeg
Lol, no, you clearly haven't been here since 06 or you would be familiar with some of the film togs here.

>I got mad because you called me poor
Lol, so I was spot on in my first reply then,stay mad, stay povvo. And I have family from chile, they own plenty of cameras and electronics, have you ever considered that some of your problems are your own fault?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.