[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Howdy /p/hotographers Quick question from you guys since I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: D3S_0818-1200.jpg (254KB, 1200x946px) Image search: [Google]
D3S_0818-1200.jpg
254KB, 1200x946px
Howdy /p/hotographers

Quick question from you guys since I've gotten some mixed opinions on a camera. I am not a photographer in the slightest, so I have no real idea of what things are good and bad, but I found this camera in a box with a bunch of other photography stuff in my grandma's house when we were cleaning out some old things from the basement. Its a Pentax ME Super, but that's all I really know. I asked some other folks I know but they didn't really give me an answer either way if its decent or not.

In the box was a short lens, a really long lens with a sliding jacket around it, a case for when the small lens is on the camera, a flash and a strap, I assume so you can wear it around your neck or something.

So, what are your guys' opinions on it? Should I keep it and try my hand at taking some photos to see if it even works?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3
Camera SoftwareVer.2.02
PhotographerKen Rockwell
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.3
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)220 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014-05-27T01:59:30-17:00
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/18.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/18.0
Exposure Bias-2 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash, Compulsory, Return Not Detected
Focal Length200.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height946
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Digital Zoom Ratio1.1
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>So, what are your guys' opinions on it?

The ME is, assuming it works, a well serviceable film camera. It doesn't have a cult following unlike some other K-mount cameras.

> Should I keep it and try my hand at taking some photos to see if it even works?

Yes.
>>
>>3046552
Before taking any photos check the mirror foam. Old, sticky foam will leave hard to clean residue on the mirror so it's better to be safe than sorry.
>>
File: 1490560930998463057573.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1490560930998463057573.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>3046567

I'm not sure what that is but I'll take a picture of what I think it is.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeHuawei
Camera ModelNexus 6P
Camera Softwareangler-user 7.1.1 N4F26T 3687331 release-keys
Sensing MethodUnknown
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:03:26 15:42:23
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating203
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Brightness0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.67 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4032
Image Height3024
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3046571
Foam's in horrible condition. If you have some basic manual skills then it would be the best if you scraped that shit off with a razor or a hobby knife and glued a new piece of foam there. You can buy pre cut sets online or you can use any kind of soft spongy foam to nigger rig a new one. Don't use glue that could leave residue on surrounding area when drying. Or just shoot without foam (probably not safe for the camera).
>>
>>3046552
Also since you don't sound so smart: Never touch mirror or that piece of "glass" above it. Mirror can be cleaned but it scratches really easily (it's not just a regular mirror) and dirty or scratched focusing screen is impossible to fix. Don't touch shutter with your fingers. Only clean your camera by blowing air into it.
>>
>>3046573
>>3046574

I'm not smart but I'm not dumb. I definitely know not to touch sensitive mechanical parts with my fingers anything with contact. I'll try to get that stuff done and it seems fairly simple after reading a few tutorials. Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>3046576
Sorry I was born a cunt. Have fun with your camera it's a great one for a begginer.
>>
Great find OP, what I'd suggest is to examine everything before using it.

For example, the foam stuff that's around the mirror and the interior of the back of the camera. It's likely it's turned into black gunk.

Check where the battery compartment is and see if there has been any leakage. Remove any old batteries.

Twist all the knobs and see if they turn reasonably well. Also try to advance the lever and see if you can fire the shutter.

Google Pentax ME super manual and study how the camera works.

Look through the lenses against a bright white background and check for obvious dust and fungus.

You want to pour money into it unless you know 100% that it's useable.

DON'T do the light seals yourself, pay $10 for a good camera tech to do it for you.

Get replacement batteries and check the metering. Buy some film and do a test shoot!!

Good luck and have fun!
>>
>>3046585
I meant to say DON'T pour your money into it; e.g. buy film and shit, before you know it works.

For some reason I've gotten excited and found the manual:

http://www.bildraum-f.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/03/Pentax-ME-Super-Manual.pdf

And here is our LORD, Kenneth Rockwell imparting his wisdom about it:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/pentax/me-super.htm

Seems like a vert user friendly camera.

You should get it working again regardless, cos if you don't use it, someone else might enjoy it. You can probably sell it for around $50, maybe more with the lenses.
>>
>>3046588
>>3046585

Wow, thanks bud! Looking at the manual, it seems that I have everything except the little airball blower for clearning; but I think I could find a suitable replacement for one easily if the thing is all working.

The battery housing is perfectly clean, looks like there were no leaks. There are no spots in the lenses, All the knobs twist well, the seals around the back and side of the gate seem all fine, but the one by the mirror (pictured above) needs replacing apparently.

I looked at the manual and some videos about the features of the camera and how to use them and everything seems to be in good, working order.

Thanks for the help guys, I may report back if the thing actually works after the little bit of repair!
>>
>>3046591
Sweet, then I understand that everything is a trivial matter!

Here is Flickr with picture of or done by, a Pentax ME super, to get you hyped:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=pentax%20me%20super
>>
>>3046574
Not compressed air from a can, the propellant will get stuck to your mirror / sensor
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.