[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photo sins

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: Looking-room-bad.jpg (155KB, 853x577px) Image search: [Google]
Looking-room-bad.jpg
155KB, 853x577px
Whats the worst sin in photography?

I hate it when they do shit like in the image I linked. I even see professionals do it, and sometimes in movies.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D800
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.4
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern1034
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width7360
Image Height4912
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:10:13 14:05:53
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/4.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/4.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width853
Image Height577
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
One of the worst sin would be to believe that arbitrarily following technical rules precedes artistic purpose.
>>
>>3037783
This

>>3037769
I can't stand that backwards looking room, but I find a lot of photographers don't really have something to 'say'. they'll take a photo of something that interests them, yet beyond being visually pleasing, it doesn't do much else.

I don't like the air-brushed to shit photos I see everywhere, where post-production has created this soulless, flat image.

I'm still new, but I was really disappointed to find a lot of photographers that inspired me basically whacked a VSCO filter over top, played with the hue/contrast a tiny bit and then called it a day. Professionals too. I can replicate the exact thing.
>>
>>3037769
>HDR rape
>selective colour in black and white photos
>photos looking through the viewfinder of a vintage camera
>Any pictures of food in a restaurant.
>>
having sonys marketing balls deep in your ass.
>>
>>3037769
People using film as a crutch. Yeah it looks sweet, doesn't make your shitty ass photos look any better.

I mean I love film, but I'll readily admit how much of a rank amateur hobbyist I am.
>>
People calling Instax Polaroids.
Absolutely death penalty
>>
>>3037824
check out my fujifilm polaroid.
>>
>Whats the worst sin in photography?

I'll take being new and everything ever for 500, Alex
>>
Selective coloring.

Not even once.
>>
Black people trying to use film cameras, its like the special Olympics in slow motion
>>
Giving photos a title.

There's only so many titles you can use if you're shooting with consistency, and eventually it turns into people using some cringy "profound" bullshit on a picture of some flowers.
>>
-Borders
-Mirror shots
-B&W for no reason
-Selective color
-any 15yo girl with the lastest iPhone creating their own "name_photography" page on facebook
-Watermarks
>>
>>3037783
They aren't arbitrary. The rules serve a purpose. In the case of the OP, its a complete waste of space in the frame and an incredibly uninteresting photo because of it.

True, you don't have to follow all the rules, but IF you take a good photo that breaks a rule like balance, rule of thirds, etc. You are following another rule to make up for it, otherwise, you end up with snapshits like you see in the recent photo threads.
>>
Pretending its an artform.
>>
Photo sin? Being new and having questions.

They way most photographers hobnob you'd think they were born taking pictures of snow leopards for National Geographic. Most of you are mediocre at best.
>>
File: selectivecolor_42.jpg (53KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
selectivecolor_42.jpg
53KB, 700x467px
How many sins can you break with one picture?
>>
not maxing out saturation
>>
File: IY0P5559.jpg (2MB, 3522x2348px) Image search: [Google]
IY0P5559.jpg
2MB, 3522x2348px
>>3037769
I would say leaning on fast lenses to create interesting photos that aren't really interesting beyond being pretty to look at.

Here is a photo of part of the hand rail at my grandmother's house. It has nice lighting and has that popular piss filter over it, but there's nothing there. It's just a dumb piece of wood.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS-1D Mark II
Image Created2017:03:08 03:32:23
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating50
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width3504
Image Height2336
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3038018
>>
>>3038018

Did somebody pay for this?
>>
>>3038080
Are you implying this is not a good photo? Google would say otherwise
>>
>>3038018
wow that's amazing
>>
>>3037802
These are the absolute worst
>>
>>3038018
This is silly and gimmicky but kinda cute desu
>>
>>3037813
>reddit: the post

Just because you're salty about having a little white m4/3 doesn't mean you have to play sour grapes over my big black full frame.
>>
>>3037769
Buying canikon when Sony exists.
>>
>>3037938
What is wrong with black people using film cameras? I can use one properly,. Keep your racist shit on /pol/ or /r9k/ you fucking loser.
>>
>>3039558
Keep your fucking race in Africa, the dump where it belongs, loser.
>>
>>3038075
>put your legs under the armchairs
>"a-are you sure?"
>yeah yeah, and cross your arms on top
>"like this?"
> no, put them under your armpits
>"okay"
>now look at me like a bad boy
>"but im not bad boy"
>okay just look at me while I figure out how to make this tripod work... actually this is kinda cool

>snap
>>
>>3039533
you're doing it again
>>
>>3039561
Lol we got a mad white boy. Kill yourself you worthless shit, you have accomplished nothing in you life.
>>
>>3037955
Exactly, the problem is that newfags are told to follow those rules without any consideration for their purpose. "Anon, if want to get good pics, follow the rule of thirds?". But why should I follow the rule of thirds? What does it happen to my pic if I do that? What is even a good pic?
>>
>>3039561
t. Guido
>>
File: 4177232342_713bfa2f05_o.jpg (475KB, 1024x1022px) Image search: [Google]
4177232342_713bfa2f05_o.jpg
475KB, 1024x1022px
>>3037802
>photos looking through the viewfinder of a vintage camera
kek, I'm writing a movie that's a subversion of romance tropes and there's a scene where the male is taking a picture of the female with a TLR and I have a shot planned where the audience looks at her through the finder.

That's the portion of the film that is supposed to be absolutely ridiculously over the top sappy.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D200
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)75 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2009:12:11 10:26:17
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating160
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceFlash
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height1022
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastHard
SaturationHigh
SharpnessHard
>>
>>3038018
I don't hate it, yeah this is on the same level as pretending to hold up the tower of Pisa but big deal
>>
I focus a lot of my /p/ autism on framing/cropping, so one thing I hate is photographers who NEVER crop, even when they very clearly should. Photography is about making choices, you have to decide what you include or not, keeping everything everytime no matter what is the wrong decision.

What I hate most from /p/ posters is all the wall shit ("hurr I'm shooting a wall, so meaningful") and the street shit, seriously 99% of what streetfags post is utter shit, just random shots, and then they try to salvage it with some ridiculous post processing. Obviously HDR shit too but it seems like the popularity of horrendous "tone mapping" has faded.

>>3037952
>Borders
>B&W for no reason
>Watermarks
holy fuck this. What triggers me the most isn't what dumb normies do but what pretentious fucks with 10 grand of gear do. B&W for no reason is definitely the worst and most pretentious of all

>>3039631
>armchairs
armrests?
>>
>>3039988
>б & ш for no raisin

What does that even mean? Where are the guidelines for shooting in b&w and who wrote them?
>>
>>3039996
imo, converting to B&W should only be done if there's something interesting in the lighting and contrast of the picture that doesn't come through in a color shot because colors are distracting it or something.
>>
File: IMG_2420.png (3MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2420.png
3MB, 750x1334px
It's not exactly the worst sin but why the fuck do people take these 'environmental portraits' or whatever when it's actually just a spoiled landscape shot
>>
>>3039998
i feel like the choice between b&w and color should not favoring any of the two a priori at all. really just figure out what works best, avoiding b&w just to not appear pretentious is pretty weak desu.
>>
>>3040012
This. Holy shit.
So many bad copies of "The Wanderer".
Also, photos of shooter's legs sitting in high places.
>>
>>3039998
You're an idiot. B&W should be your default for "seeing" until the color itself is complimentary enough to add.
>>
File: polaroid.jpg (243KB, 1000x834px) Image search: [Google]
polaroid.jpg
243KB, 1000x834px
>>3037824

Uh oh........

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro1
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:12:05 20:52:58
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness0.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length18.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height834
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
SharpnessNormal
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeManual Exposure
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
File: kenwouldbeproud.jpg (70KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
kenwouldbeproud.jpg
70KB, 960x960px
I don't know if this is the worst sin, but it irritates me
>>
>>3039988
yeah 99.9% of street photography is utter crap. Oh whoa! The back of someones head!! WOW!!!!
>>
>>3040012

They'll be immensely useful as cultural signifiers in about 30 years.
>>
>>3040194
Blue orange contrast?
>>
>>3040398
Skulls on the pictures right edge.
>>
I tried learning my dad Photoshop and Lightroom for relative simple photo editing. It was a mistake.

Anyone know a decent easy to use old people friendly photo editor / put shitty filters on program?
>>
>>3040012
Don't you understand? It's not a good photo if it doesn't have a skinny white hipster chick in it.
>>
>>3040447
but it has one skinny white hipster chick in it...
>>
>>3040025
Oh man shoe shots trigger me something awful...
>>
>>3040442
Just show them how to add contrast and work exposure settings on their phone's native editor
>>
>>3039967
But I guess thats in the context of a movie or whatever, I sort of mean done unironically and at first it looks cool - but it's done to death.
>>
>>3039988
What do you even mean by B&W for no reason? What reason do you fucking need beyond having a preference
>>
>>3040644
he means he's 18 and desperately wants to be accepted as an authority figure online
>>
File: IMG_5164.jpg (355KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5164.jpg
355KB, 1000x667px
>>3040644
>>3040650
I dont know if this is the norm, but i rarely go B&W unless the colors are uninteresting or muddy.

I really like B&W, but i think it is gratuitous in certain situations. The problem is, if you only see the B&W then you cant know if the colors hidden away are just shit or the tog was just being a dip.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6.1 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Horizontal Resolution70 dpi
Vertical Resolution70 dpi
Image Created2017:02:12 08:54:08
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Focal Length47.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3040652
>you cant know if the colors hidden away are just shit or the tog was just being a dip.
you shouldn't care unless you're caught up in your own projections and insecurities, its a fucking photograph you spergy fag
>>
File: jh3243jg3.jpg (16KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
jh3243jg3.jpg
16KB, 320x371px
>>3040668

Camera Softwarepaint.net 4.0.9
Horizontal Resolution96 dpi
Vertical Resolution96 dpi
>>
>>3040644
B&W is all about having good and interesting contrast as there are no colors to work with, not just desaturating because muh art
>>
>>3040746
not necessarily. Contrast gives a b&w images a bit more "pop" to them, but to believe that it is the only element to b&w photographs is pretty narrow minded.
>>
>>3039903
Its always the poor people fucking shit up for everyone,
>>
>>3040447
I like skinny white hipster chicks
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.