[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BenQ LCD Display Good for Editing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled picture.png (87KB, 631x464px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled picture.png
87KB, 631x464px
Anyone edit photos with a BenQ GW2765HT (TheWirecutter's Best 27" Display, Budget Option: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-27-inch-monitor/).

They are $260 shipped for a refurb at the moment. Any reason not to get it, or any better alternatives for the price? I need something more color-accurate than the sub-$100 displays I've been using. Out-of-the-box color accuracy is most important, as I won't be able to afford any calibration devices.

Also, I normally leave my display on 24/7 on my cheapo monitors. Will color accuracy significantly decease on a nicer display if I continue to do this due to color shifting, which I believe is common in white LED lighting?
>>
>>3035687
Trying for colour accuracy without a calibration device is dumb, you won't get close and no panel out of the box is good at this price point.

A 2nd hand spyder/colormunki shouldn't be more than about $50.
>>
>>3035687
> Out-of-the-box color accuracy is most important, as I won't be able to afford any calibration devices.
Dude, if you can't afford a calibrator (don't have it already(?)), then you're doing something wrong in your life or going full retard. And you should never go full retard.
>>
>>3035856
>not just eyeballing it with colour card

>>3035687
>2017
>1440p
just get 4k ips
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=384002160&sort=a8&p=1&H=60,240
>>
Thanks for the advice guys! I shouldn't have a problem saving up for a 2nd hand calibration device if I eat hard boiled eggs for the rest of my meals this week.

In the meantime, please suggest any better alternatives than the BenQ in OP for under $300 (1440p & refurbished preferred).

Also, will leaving an LED backlit display on 24/7 at moderate brightness negatively affect color accuracy before my next upgrade, probably in 4 to 5 years?
>>
>>3035687
Can't do color accuracy. Will be okay in general because neither can almost everyone elses's display, and you don't do calibrated prints anyhow.

Spend your money on a better lens or something.
>>
>>3035687
I'm interested in a new monitor myself. Is a color calibrator really necessary? Who on /p/ actually has used one to calibrate their monitor? I don't really care about perfect color prints, as long as the difference isn't noticeable. I want a monitor with good out of the box color accuracy because I'm sick of using this 5 year old overly-blue 21" Dell.

Is there a place for this mindset in the world, or should I just give in and obtain one use of a color calibrator?
>>
Get a calibrator. Seriously. Huge difference, and absolutely worth the cost. Put aside like 3-5 bucks a day or whatever, a secondhand Colormunki or Spyder should be reasonably priced.
>>
>>3036611
>Is a color calibrator really necessary?
Yes.
>Who on /p/ actually has used one to calibrate their monitor?
Me and a few others.
>I don't really care about perfect color prints, as long as the difference isn't noticeable.
So you care or don't?
>should I just give in and obtain one use of a color calibrator?
Yes, you should.
>>
>>3036611
Screens on Apple products should be fairly color accurate and consistent. I remote desktop to my PC via my iPad whenever I edit photos, to avoid having to buy an expensive display for the same purpose.
>>
>>3036637
I ran my mac air screen by my spyder and it was further out than my cheapy korea import monitor was. After calibration it's still meh.
>>
>>3036656
Doesn't Mac Air have the worst LCD panel of any Apple product though?
>>
Most users of calibrated monitors calibrate incorrectly and are left with false confidence over results more inaccurate than out of the box.

Make sure you know what you're doing if you buy one. Most on /p/ don't.
>>
>>3036611
>Who on /p/ actually has used one to calibrate their monitor?
me.
>>
>>3037156
I've never actually went through the calibration process and curious to know what's so hard about it? I thought it was pretty much automatic??
>>
>>3037161

It is. You'll find that that monitor calibration fetishists are almost as autistic as hard drive nerds.

you know the ones, they format every 2 weeks to keep things fresh and fast.
>>
>>3037162
>It is. You'll find that that monitor calibration fetishists are almost as autistic as hard drive nerds.
If you don't calibrate regularly your calibration is going to be even less accurate than stock.
Fucking idiots on this board.
>>
>>3037161
Ambient light and ambient color affect the accuracy of a calibration. Turning on a lamp or working near a window at 2pm instead of 8am changes everything.
>>
>>3037164
>>3037165
What the fuck. Are you guys calibrating every hour or something?
>>
>>3037164
>f you don't calibrate regularly
LOL!

>>3037178
its the new /p/ hardcore autism. calibrating your display every 15 minutes instead of going out and taking photos.
>>
I've literally never calibrated in 15 years of digital photography and 20 years of photoshop and get great comments on my color.

Even the best, most routinely calibrated monitor still has to go through your shitty eyes. Better to let the numbers guide you. Skin should be mostly red with less green and much less blue. Don't clip your highlights or shadows. Trust your histogram. Don't be afraid to tease apart your images into individual channels and put them back together again. Be objective about your subjective tastes.
>>
>>3037178
>>3037179
Newfags with poorly calibrated monitors and empty pockets.

"Remember that soft proofing can be a useful tool, but to use it effectively you need to appreciate its strengths and limitations, along with an understanding of rendering intents, BPC and other issues.

The help system is very good, but tools like this can give false confidence to the unwary.

That doesn’t stop the Spyder 5 being a very useful monitor calibration system, that I find easy to use and effective."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect

If you don't recalibrate every time you sit down to work you're better off not calibrating at all.
>>
>>3037184

kys my dude
>>
>>3037186
>SHUT UP, DON'T DESTROY MY FANTASY WORLD
t. literally a child
>>
>>3037187

You seem to be riled. Why don't you go make sure your colors are correct?
>>
Before I browse /p/ I calibrate to make sure that I'm seeing the true Yotsuba B color.
>>
>>3037184
>going full autistic mode to calibrate every time you edit
>when 99% of photos are viewed digitally on calibrated screens

It's like pixel peeping, 95% of consumers don't do it and the 5% that do have worthless opinions if that is all they care about.
>>
>>3037228
Or maybe it just means I actually produce prints of my artwork, you teenage clown.
>>
>>3037229

Spot the insecure 24 year old.
>>
>>3037161
>have monitor in suitable light
>dangle device over your monitor
>press go

That's it.

>>3037164
No

>>3037165
No, the calibration remains spot on, you may perceive the colour differently. Most hardware comes with an automatic light sensor to adjust brightness.

>>3037228
Colour accuracy is nothing like pixel peeping, if my colours are known good now, I won't need to 'fix' them when I get a new monitor. I can print with confidence and combined with simple image analysis tools know that if another person comments on the colours being out, it's them that are wrong.

I've had dells, apples, samsung and korean screens, they've all been massively out straight out of the box.
>>
>>3037276
>No, the calibration remains spot on
no
>>
Why does calibration even matter if it's a proven scientific fact that color is perceived by everyone differently? I feel like calibration devices are like audiophile gear... like get over yourselves! :)
>>
>>3039234

The world is chaotic and some people can't come to grips with that, so they need some small thing they can control to give them a sense of power and self-actualization. Their color calibrator is basically a security blanket.

These people usually cause a fuss at restaurants as well.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.