[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MF backdrop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: MN017.jpg (80KB, 832x1246px) Image search: [Google]
MN017.jpg
80KB, 832x1246px
Hello /p/,

I'm jerking around here alot, and most likely I already told (You) why you are an ape-head and why you suck. But I think I mostly was quite helpful though.

Now tables have turned and I need your help: Currently me and my glorious company build a studio in order to produce a TV-series. In doing so, we planned to install windows in the scenery and to setup large backdrops behind them, which show the room's outside world. (Standard procedure actually.) For hipster reasons we shot the pictures, which are to be printed on the backdrop, on medium format film. Now I have two questions:

Firstly, what resolution to scan should I look for? How much resolution is mf capable of? Some companies offer 4000dpi? Is that already very fine or meh-tier?

Secondly, I need a formular to calculate how far away the backdrop must stand and which size it therefore must have, so that the view on it is scaled 1:1 in regard to reality. It was shot on 80mm, so 40mm full frame equivalent. Focus was infinite, since the outside scenery are some city buildings about > 30m away. Do I need to know the size of the objects which were photographed, or can I calculate it based on the focal length and the distance the screen will have?

Thank you for your kind support.

(pic unrelated. is for attention. clever.)
>>
>>3033280

>But I think I mostly was quite helpful though.

Ok

>Firstly, what resolution to scan should I look for? How much resolution is mf capable of? Some companies offer 4000dpi? Is that already very fine or meh-tier?

Resolution of the backdrop depends on how close and with which resolution you shoot the show in. If you do 1080 there should be no need to print in higher res because you will most likely never have the whole window in one frame.

>Secondly, I need a formular to calculate how far away the backdrop must stand and which size it therefore must have, so that the view on it is scaled 1:1 in regard to reality. It was shot on 80mm, so 40mm full frame equivalent. Focus was infinite, since the outside scenery are some city buildings about > 30m away. Do I need to know the size of the objects which were photographed, or can I calculate it based on the focal length and the distance the screen will have?

Do you know anything about triangulation? You got a diagonal angle of 55° with 80mm on what I guess is a 6x6cm frame(google angle lens calculator or similar). Now the size of your print only depends on the distance to the camera recording the show. If you do your calculations, you will get this:
diagonal=2*dist_cam_wall*tan(angle_of_view/2)
Which is basically the definition of the tangent function.
Math is really helpful in life btw.

>(pic unrelated. is for attention. clever.)

Worked for me
>>
>>3033483
Thank you so far. Ofc the backdrop does not have to be printed in 600dpi. But from what I have seen, it does not make a huge difference in price if it is 96dpi, 48 or 32. So-spoken: you waste the 'tint' anyways.

In regard to the angel your message firstly let me notice an error in my thinking, MF is 0.7 crop, not 0.5. So 80mm equals 56mm FF, not 40. So for the angle we have
2atan(61.5/(2*80)) = 0.733 rad = 47°
horizontally and vertically.
For your formular this would mean:
2*10m*tan(47/2) = 322.45
322 what? meters? hardly. millimeters? like 32cm? wut? 322cm would sound like something wise, but how can cm be a result when I calculated in meters and degrees?
are you sure you're not being an ape-head again? "Math is really helpful in life btw." Hurr.

But you've been quite helpful though.
>>
File: MN034.jpg (82KB, 1246x832px) Image search: [Google]
MN034.jpg
82KB, 1246x832px
some more clever
>>
OP you seem pretty autistic and like an ass hole and I'm not just going to help you because you posted two photos of sexy women.
>>
>>3033725
true, you don't help me because you can't.
>>
>>3033686
this is nice
>>
>>3033280
max rez I get from my Nikon Coolscan 8000ED and Fuji NPS / Hasselblad 80mm CF is about 2.5x2.5feet. could probably go super grainy and print 6x6 and it would still look fine as a backdrop.

a lot of the nasty grain will dissipate if you use a back lit duratran. Light jet printers are something like 150dpi at best.
>>
File: 1488631428061.jpg (212KB, 832x1246px) Image search: [Google]
1488631428061.jpg
212KB, 832x1246px
>>3033725
>not just going to help you because you posted two photos of sexy women.

OP cant send money over the interweb so sexy women are the best payment for help / advice

this was my 2 cents OP >>3033761, a 6 foot duratran would look great as a early/mid 90s talkshow background like old Conan or Letterman

also didn't see it at first, that ass was distracting me, but you have a nasty clone stamp here
>>
Try these?:
https://toolstud.io/photo/dpi.php

http://www.photokaboom.com/photography/learn/printing/1_calculators.htm
>>
>>3033677
Set your calculator to degree not radian.
>>
>>3033836
oh, well ... you can calculate it
322*(pi/180)=5.6

This would mean the screen would have to have a size of 5.6 meters when standing in 10m distance, to show a shot with 56mm FF equiv. in a 1:1 scale.

This sounds possible but also a bit larger than I expected... I have to counter-check this ...

thank you in every case.
>>
File: MN003.jpg (75KB, 832x1246px) Image search: [Google]
MN003.jpg
75KB, 832x1246px
>>
>>3033865
Well you could crop that image
>>
>>3033881
hm ... that is true as a matter of fact.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.