[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Color Correction/Calibration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: CGC7Z1E.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
CGC7Z1E.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>trusty 32" Vizio LED TV I used as my main monitor literally exploded after 2 years
>a gift from my dad
>he didn't get a warranty because "TV's never break"
>out of panic due to deadlines I buy a cheap ($140) 32" LED monitor with good reviews from normies thinking it would be just the same and I could get back to work
>didn't even consider the possibility that the colors would be different on this new monitor
>everything looks off
>spend hours adjusting TV settings and using programs like calibrize to adjust color
>nothing looks quite right
>looks too blue
>now it looks too red
>too greenish blue
>fuck why is everybody's skin so RED???
>now the contrast is fucked
>NOW I CAN SEE GRADIENTS ON PEOPLE'S SKIN
>CANTWAKEUP

So dearest /p/, I'm in a bit of a pickle.
Color calibration is such an important issue for us yet you rarely ever see it mentioned or discussed.
How do you know when you've got accurate color? Do you use software or external devices that supposedly do all the work for you?
As you can probably tell from the amount I paid for the TV I'm not in a position right now to be buying expensive toys so that's a thing.
As always /p/ I value your input and advice.
>>
>>3030661
you're fucked op, you get for what you pay, can't cheap out on a monitor and not even sure why your using a tv a monitor in the first place. as for the second question you need an external device that calibrates the correct color over your screen and those can cost quit a bit.
>>
>>3030661

To be fair, your earlier monitor was probably off too, Vizio is well known for its lack of color accuracy.

There is actual hardware for colo4 calibration, your eyes will always be off.

>http://xritephoto.com/colormunki-smile

Is a link to one of the cheaper well reviewed ones a simple google search gave me.
>>
>>3030667
The TV I was using before actually had really accurate color, I remember making a big deal about that when I got it (gg dad). But you're right, it was a stupid move to cheap out, I did it really fast without thinking about it.

>>3030671
Okay good to know this is an issue that must be corrected with hardware, and although $100 is steep for me right now it looks like a worthwhile investment, thank you for finding that for me.
It seems cheaper options are limited to just once device per license.
>>
>>3030661
>everything looks off
>nothing looks quite right
>looks too blue
>now it looks too red
>too greenish blue
>fuck why is everybody's skin so RED???
>now the contrast is fucked
>NOW I CAN SEE GRADIENTS ON PEOPLE'S SKIN

The story of your clients.
>>
http://shootdatapost.com/blog/2012/2/21/hd-monitor-calibration-smpte-arib-and-white-balance.html

If you have good options on your television you can do this
>>
>>3030778
Nah colors on my last monitor were great, matched perfectly with my printer and macs I worked with. That was the problem, it was so good I never had to worry about it so I completely forgot it was even a factor when buying this cheapo monitor.

>>3030783
I actually tried this exact method but was never satisfied with the results, thank you anyway.

I ordered a secondhand colormunki off of eBay for 30 bucks, if this thread is around by the time I get it i'll leave a few words about my experience with it and hopefully fully recommend it!
>>
>>3030661
You buy a 10 bit ips panel, colormunki and colorchecker and never worry about colour again.

Not that expensive desu
10 bit korean 1440p 27" monitor
$350
Colormunki
$150
Colorchecker
$80

Just fyi, your tv had shit colour too.
>>
>>3030801
>10 bit ips
No idea what this was until just now so looks like I'll have to start saving up, thank you for the new information
>>
>>3030803
10 bit isn't vital, ips is.
>>
>>3030661
>How do you know when you've got accurate color?

Used i1 Dsplay LT + DispCal GUI. Cost me some $50.
>>
>>3030801
>10 bit korean 1440p 27" monitor
>$350

Prove that they exist.
>>
>>3030818
Google it, you lazy ass.
>>
>>3030831

Googled it, found none.
>>
>>3030835
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB287Q-3840x2160-DisplayPort-Monitor/dp/B00KJGY3TO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488288974&sr=8-2&keywords=10+bit+ips

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1488288974&sr=8-8&keywords=10+bit+ips

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-NX-VUE27P-Resolution-Backlight-Display/dp/B01LXPOL8I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1488288974&sr=8-13&keywords=10+bit+ips

Googled it, found three.
>>
>>3030842
1) it's $350 VA
2) hit
3) hit

Ok then, I hope that they really have 10 bit input.

And how exactly do you get 10 bit output from a consumer grade video chip btw? Last time I checked only AMD chips were able to do it and I did not find a single substantial confimation of that besides a photograph of a monitor showing that it accepts 10 bit - what does not matter at all because if you do not set up correct colour depth in video driver it will still feed video chip with 24 bit data.
>>
>>3030853
get a load of this nerd
>>
I have a Dell Ultrasharp 27" 1440p with pre-calibrated sRGB. Get fucked stingy nerd
>>
>>3030818
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-QNIX-QX2710-LED-Evolution-ll-DP-Multi-TRUE10-Matte-27-Monitor-/262004562610?hash=item3d00b05ab2:g:1yYAAOSwHnFVzW4B
>>
>>3030872

not showing 10 bit colour.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.