[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: f20130806123413-fed-3-1.jpg (76KB, 709x473px) Image search: [Google]
f20130806123413-fed-3-1.jpg
76KB, 709x473px
So tomorrow I'm going to get an old FED 3 (pic related, essentially a Soviet Leica rip-offfrom the 1970s). I've been shooting digital with a Lumix for the past two years and therefore have no idea about what to expect from a film camera, how do these things even work? How hard is it going to be to control the aperture without any visual guidance?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:12:07 20:52:02
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2012:12:04 18:32:38
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/12.9
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance0.00 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length70.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width709
Image Height473
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>3029121
>How hard is it going to be to control the aperture without any visual guidance?
>not sure if trolling or not.png
Just read the manual.
>>
>>3029121
i want a fed too. but ive been told its a literal pain in the ass to have and mantain one and deal with its multiple quirks.
>>
>>3029123
IIRC the one I'm getting does have a manual, and it's literally in Russian.

>>3029133
They're incredibly cheap, you can easily find a decent one for less than 30 bucks on Ebay. If something, you could go for it just for the sake of being a great-looking collectible, if you're into vintage camera aesthetic.
>>
>>3029133
have you been talking with rocks and trisomic people? Aside from the [endless list of drawbacks follows], remembering to set speeds after cocking shutter, factoring in parallax and the curtains ungluing eventually in X years, it's impossible to misuse or damage. Two quirks is only technically "multiple".

>>3029121
The FED isnt your issue OP, it's not knowing/understanding the exposure triangle after two years with a digicam. How about you start your journey on google, where all great journeys begin, instead of opening up your mouth and waiting for the spoon to come by?
>>
>>3029121
>How do I into film

throw the fed in the dumpster as soon as you get it and go out to get a real camera.
>>
File: No_fun_allowed.jpg (129KB, 593x647px) Image search: [Google]
No_fun_allowed.jpg
129KB, 593x647px
>>3029455
>>
>>3029619
>>3029460
>No fun allowed
was directed at >>3029455

I don't think there is anything wrong with the FED
>>
File: FEDora.jpg (338KB, 1038x584px) Image search: [Google]
FEDora.jpg
338KB, 1038x584px
Just got it, and holy shit, I totally feel in love with how this thing looks and feels. Took me a while to figure out where the aperture and F-stop is located but operating it hasn't been nearly as confusing as I expected. Hopefully my first 36 pictures won't look like a blurry underexposed or overexposed mess.

>>3029202
I do understand the exposure triangle but applying it without the ability to instantly see the picture you snapped on your screen and therefore without instantly checking if your lighting measures were correct is a completely different task. Once again, I never shot on film before, so this is an entirely new thing to me.

>>3029455
>>3029460
What's wrong with FED? Most people say it's a decent starter film camera.
>>
>>3029620
I know, just linked it since it was part of the discussion.
>>
>>3029621
I know this was a troll thread, but I hope you enjy your new purchase regardless.
>>
File: 1479740053144.jpg (139KB, 1024x942px) Image search: [Google]
1479740053144.jpg
139KB, 1024x942px
>>3029623
Literally how is this trolling
>>
>>3029624
Literally how is
>hi guise! i shoot the worst digipleb brand and ive gone and bought the worst possible film camera rate me guise no h8ers lol XD idk even what is film?
>hey guise y u so upset <:^) wats wrong cant we all just enjoy le analog together?
not a troll thread?
>>
>>3029629
Jesus fucking christ what's wrong with someone trying to learn something? I didn't come here with pretensions of knowledge, I just want some guidance from people who've been through this same starting point in film. Stop being such an arrogant cunt.
>>
>>3029629
>Lumix
>worst digipleb brand
Not a troll post?
>>
>>3029631
Buddy, /p/ just isn't the place for it.
If you want to actually get gud at trolling, /pol/ or /v/ or /soc/ will be much more satisfying for you.
>>
>>3029635
I still don't understand why someone simply asking for advice and suggestions butthurts you so much. I guess /p/ is as good of a place to cohesively talk about photography as much as /v/ is for videogames and /pol/ is for politics.
>>
>>3029621
dark finder, hit and miss lenses, and prone to chewing film.

Russian lenses can be good and they can be garbage but you would be suppriesd by how much Zeiss varied back in the day. I have owned 3 hasselblad C zeiss 80mm lenses and they all look slightly different, I sold the best one because it had a gouge in the back element thinking I was trading up.

I also know a guy who bought a jupiter lens looking for `that russian look`and was upset because the lens was too good. it can happen.

My feeling with rangefinders is start with something easy to use like a Bessa, as much as I love my Leica IIIf and shoot it more than my M3, like the Fed I would never recommend one as someones first rangefinder.
>>
>>3029621
>I do understand the exposure triangle but applying it without the ability to instantly see the picture you snapped on your screen and therefore without instantly checking if your lighting measures were correct is a completely different task.

>I do understand the exposure triangle

Not yet, you don't. But don't worry, that's what this camera's going to teach you, and you'll learn to do it eventually with control over focus, depth of field (more or less) and freezing (or blurring) motion as a gestalt whole, not fiddling with parameters on a TI-84 with a camera function.
>>
>>3029894
I kind of agree with you that OP doesn`t know exposure yet having only shot digital.
Digital is a hollow simulacrum of film somewhat related to a positive.
like a positive digital benefits from slight underexposure (shoot for highlights). while shooting neg, most common film type, it is best to slightly over expose (shoot for shadows)
>>
I got a Zorki 4K recently and love it, certainly some quirks and misalignments but it's fun to use and it fits in my pocket. At the price range it fills a niche that I can't find any other cameras for.
>>
>>3029121
if your buying secound hand. bring it to a camera dealer and ask it to be adjusted and the focus lever set.

unless you know how/want to know how to set up a camera like this.

also make sure the curtain has no light leaks.

i used a fed 3 for three rolls all of them came out with no focus and with light leaks.

i had to repair the curtain and using a pliers set the focus lever.

good look the fed series are nigh on unbreakable and very reliable.

and you cant be worthy your salt as a photographer if you cant guess what aperture to use.
>>
>>3029121
Hey a light meter app on your phone, works well.

Shoot it, have fun. I hope you understand the idea with the focusing patch.

Don't be shy to keep it at waist level and set focus strictly with the focus marks on the lens, if you have good distance judgment of course. Guesstimating focus like this can be more accurate than the focus screen IF the timing is out, just stop the aperture down one or two to give more leeway.

Try to not shoot at 1/30 or below, I never got good results like that. Keep the lens at f4 or better for more crispness. My industar 51 bad wide open. NEVER EVER ADJUST SHUTTER SPEED WITHOUT COCKING SHUTTER
>>
If you have a DSLR, use it to find the settings before applying that to your Fed.
Once you've done this a few times, you'll start to get more confident.
>>
File: 41328353.jpg (18KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
41328353.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
>>3029121

Just jump into Large Format already
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.