[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I start developing my own film?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 7598-005.jpg (441KB, 1818x1228px) Image search: [Google]
7598-005.jpg
441KB, 1818x1228px
I'm a novice trying to improve my film photography

I live in Australia and I'm being ruined by film development costs ($20 - $30 per roll including scans)

I can't decide whether to keep forking out to the lab or start developing at home

what kind of tank should I buy? do I need stainless steel or is a plastic tank okay?

what do I do with the negs once they're done? do I just take them to a lab? that'll still cost me $10-$15 for scans

my plan so far is:

>using stand development technique
>placing the tank in a cooler full of water @ 20deg celsius
>Compard R09 developer and Ilford Rapid Fixer

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJI PHOTO FILM CO., LTD.
Camera ModelSP-3000
Camera SoftwareFDi V4.5 / FRONTIER355/375-1.8-0E-016
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:07:08 14:34:43
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1818
Image Height1228
>>
Bumperino
>>
>>3026758
fuck you man don't bump my thread
>>
>using stand development technique
Don't do this, unless you really want to risk haloing.

>plastic vs metal
I like to use metal (Hewes) for 120 and plastic for 35mm. A pro with metal is that you can use it while it's still wet. A con with metal is that heat from you hands transfer more easily to the tank. Just be aware of that when you agitate.

>what do I do with the negs once they're done?
Put them in something like this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42995-REG/Print_File_PF357BXW100_Archival_Storage_Page_for.html
>>
>>3026757
Um you know it's 2k17 right? We have film that develops instantly now.
>>
$30 per roll? shit my local place does it for around $6
>>
Yes you should, its a no-brainer. First step is to determine the volume of containers you will need based on how often you plan to soup film. 1L capacity minimum is the prudent start point. I personally usually shoot 20-30 rolls and then do a big souping session, if you're of my ilk then you'll need larger containers. Next buy a paterson tank, the super system 4 or larger. My advice would be to get the 5 roll tank if you're shooting a lot; it'll save you processing time though you'll have to mix larger quantities of chemicals. Buy the graduated pitchers with handles and some storage bottles. Get your Chemistry. Don't forget the thermometer. Clips. Syringe (not needle type) for liquid concentrates. Stir stick.

Next choose a developer.
>>
>>3026757
>>using stand development technique
Great plan for ensuring failure.
Using your rodinal at 1:50 give you drastically shorter dev times, much better consistency, and you will still develop between 35 and 40 rolls from your $25 200ml bottle.
Question how badly you need to save 50 cents a roll before you decide to fuck your film on purpose.
>>
>>3026860
6$ per roll? shit my local place does it for around 3€ plus prints
>>
>>3026945
3€ per roll? shit my local place does it for free, then the owner's wife sucks me off
>>
File: yorkshireman.png (150KB, 312x308px) Image search: [Google]
yorkshireman.png
150KB, 312x308px
>>3027023
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.