[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art school ??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Photography.jpg (96KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
Photography.jpg
96KB, 425x282px
I'm going to college for photography and i just want to know:

>is this a good choice
>what can i do with a bachelors in photography
>what should i expect
>>
sorry for the shit quality thumbnail
>>
>>3026472
>what can I do with a worthless degree?
Absolutely fucking nothing!
Go for economics or some kind of STEM instead and keep the photography a side project.
>>
Question: How do you call an art graduate?
Waiter!
>>
>>3026472
Only advice I can offer is go somewhere good or not at all. Atleast here in NYC it really helps to have a degree from NYU, Pratt, etc... but a community college associates in photo isnt going to help you
>>
>>3026472
It could be worth it for your personal photography if you learn about art and design over strict camera operation. I did a short, cheap photography program at a community college and they had us learn drawing and design which really helped IMO.

As far as getting a job you need to network like crazy for that, but it's doable.

You don't need a degree to do photography. You could get a job teaching with it, you could also work at a big retailer and climb up the chain with it. The district manager for my local Target makes $250k a year and he has a history degree. You could start as an ETL at $55k and work up from there. Sure it's not what your degree is in but at least you turned it into a job, ya know?
>>
Going to a 4 year school for photo (or any art really) is a stupid stupid choice. Want to study photo? Go do a 2 year program at most.

I'd suggest choosing a different career path you think you'll enjoy and keep photo as a hobby. That's what I did. I have a career I enjoy and a salary that allows me to travel and shoot a fuckton of film.
>>
>>3026472
The worst choice of your life
>>
Do what you want OP, personally, I'm getting my assoc. in photo. Follow your own memes and dreams
>>
The photo world is too large. If you're plan on doing random freelance work such as newspaper, sports, and other shit of that nature you don't need much other than the experience of work.
Since you are in art school I would expect them to be teaching how to be come an artist but you still can take those skills to acquire a job elsewhere out of the art world. The art world is ALOT of WHO YOU KNOW, WHERE YOU WENT TO SCHOOL, and IF YOUR WORK IS GOOD. Once you have your BFA its all about how much you work on your art. Or you can do your MFA and have the ability to teach.
>>
Why does this major even exist kek
>>
>>3026681
academia con artists are pretty inventive.

can you guess how much money makes the person that invented the whole "women's studies" branch?
>>
>>3026476
>>3026504
This. Even if you get a degree in another subject, you can still take a bunch of photography courses while you're at school and get good at it. Then you'll be a good photographer and have a real job that pays enough to support your photography. Best of both worlds
>>
>>3026476
This is exactly what I did. Getting a degree in economics while landing internships for photography.

People will never/should never take you seriously for going to school for 4 years to learn to use a fucking camera.
>>
I've read lots of interviews with photographers. Very few went to school for photo. Hell, depending what you want to shoot you may be WAY better off studying something else even if your main goal is photography. Lots of Nat Geo photographers have degrees in the sciences for example. Marine biologist / botanist first, photographer second.
>>
>>3026472
>""""""art""""""" degree
>>
>>3026472
might be a good way to learn lighting techniques and get some studio time in

but it's massively overpriced and you could spend those 4 years actually shooting real shit instead of school projects
>>
>ITT: A bunch of college dropouts who will never accomplish anything of worth with their photography try to tell someone not to commit to the bare minimum requirement for credibility in their field.

OP, you will find that a bachelor in photography won't get you far, but that's because you need at least a master's to be taken seriously. This is only for fine art photography, of course. However, for fashion and product photography, you'll still find that a lot of the top names went to serious art schools like Parsons or RISD, even if they did become sell-out whores.

Keep in mind that this all depends on your measure of success. If to you, success means between $10,000 and $100,000 a year, you don't need a degree. If success to you means creating one meaningful work in your entire life, you should pursue higher education.
>>
I'm only gonna say that just about all good contemporary photographers that are successful had some formal education in the field.

The responses in this thread are exactly the same as when discussing formal education in /g/ /sci/ /gd/, everywhere. And it depends a lot of you are in the US or in yurop
>>
Having a mountain of debt and a degree with extremely limited value, while watching more talented people with no art degree leapfrog you professionally... will teach you some important life lessons.

You can just take the lesson without the pain, but I suspect you would take a lollipop now if I offered you the choice between a lollipop right now or 50 lollipops tomorrow morning.
>>
>>3026781
is lollipop a codeword for dick?
>>
>>3026776
You can also say most all astronauts have had piloting experience, but tell your kid that paying for flying lessons doesn't mean they are going to outer space.
>>
>>3026784
of course not, but I'd also tell him that not doing it will make it immensely harder, so if he is serious about it, he should start by getting good education on the matter

now take your straw man elsewhere

again, if this is about the US, then yes, I would skip it because education prices there are idiotic

if OP can afford it, even part-time, on the side of something else that earns money, I'd do it, but only if I'd be serious about doing this for a living; if it's just as a hobby then formal education wouldn't make much sense, a course somewhere is more than enough
>>
>>3026785
Unless you intend to be part of the establishment art scene, which is incredibly difficult, I would still suggest that having a background in business and internal drive are far more likely to lead to financial success in photography than an art degree. This comes primarily from the photographers I know who make a living that way.

Still, United States Labor Statistics suggest there are incredibly few people in the workforce who self-identify as photographers. It is possible that art school can take you someplace but the odds really are very much against you.
>>
itt: sad people who wants others to be sad as well
OP: do whatever you feel like, but have a backup plan
>>
>>3026784

This is actually an argument for going to college for photography, my man
>>
>>3026858
this. OP bee urself but dont play urself either.
>>
File: screenshot.3.jpg (139KB, 478x619px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.3.jpg
139KB, 478x619px
One semester away from getting my BFA in photography at a top school in the US. Trying to get MFA afterwards.

Ask me anything
>>
>>3026901

Which school?

(also it's just a b.a.)
>>
>>3026782
Its codeword for BJ
>>
File: sfai courtyard.jpg (359KB, 1033x620px) Image search: [Google]
sfai courtyard.jpg
359KB, 1033x620px
>>3026902
San Francisco Art Institute.

>(also it's just a b.a.)

mine's a BFA buddy
>>
>>3026904

I am mistaken.

Wanna see what an MFA in photography has in store for you?
>>
>>3026906
sure, you have one?

one article we read for a "how to be a artist" class said the top showing artists all went to Yale or didn't go at all, I guess the only the school really matters.
>>
>>3026910
so many typos, sorry.

>how to be a artist
kek
>>
>>3026910

Nah, but natureguy does. I think he even got it from your school.

>>3025910
>>
>>3026913
yeah I think I remember hearing that, pretty sure he did get it from sfai

I like his mantis portraits
>>
>>3026472

***READ THIS***

OP don't listen to the haters on this board, and don't trust what they have to say. The amount of people on this board who actually make money from photography is extremely low. The amount of people on this board who can even take a creative, original photo is extremely low.

I graduated with a bachelor of photography in December and I just received my first job offer as a photo retoucher/compositer at a large architectural rendering firm in a major city. It is a full time job with benefits, a gym membership and a salary of $50,000. I have friends who work in the trades who don't make this much immediately out of school.

Like everything in life, a photography degree will give as much as you put into it, and although I am enjoying some success right out of school, many graduates from earlier years and even from my year are either doing nothing or working on switching careers. A career in photography is not as unattainable as it may seem, but it will only come from hard work and dedication. (Also a friendly, likeable attitude and good networking skills are essential.)

I would be delusional to think that my photographic and post production skills would be in nearly the shape they are if I didn't complete university. Having access to professors, art history courses, the best photography equipment available, and other students drastically accelerated my learning. If you take your education seriously, and put in effort to learn as much as you can, YOU WILL make profound improvements in your ability to take photos. Improvements that I don't see myself having made out of that environment.

1/2
>>
>>3027086
2/2

I won't delude you into thinking that photography is a high paying profession, or especially glamorous, but if you have the passion and are willing to put in the work, it can certainly be a comfortable career. The folks in this thread who tell you that a photo degree is useless will likely never amount to anything more than happysnappers. Life is too short to pick a career that you don't have a passion for, and if photography is your thing then pursue your interests.
>>
>>3027086
Off topic but what kind of programs does your company use for the architectural renderings? I'm already a retoucher and have been for several years but I've wanted to branch out into the 3D rendering stuff. Where do I get started to be able to do the architectural stuff?
>>
>>3027086
>>3027090
I'm inclined to agree with this. If you're actually really really passionate about photography, you'll be willing to put in the work you need to make money off of it. You'll have to work your ass off, but don't waste your life in a career that you hate and always wish you had studied photography in college.
>>
>>3027086
>art history courses
Not OP, but this. I enjoy this.

However, how did you apply to that? Just a portfolio?
>>
>>3027090
thanks for the advice anon !
>>
>>3026472
>is this a good choice
no
>what can i do with a bachelors in photography
nothing
>what should i expect
expanding your horizons when it comes to art but art school doesn't make you an artist
t. arts student
>>
Major in communications and take photo classes to fulfill your requirements while still getting a meaningful degree.
>>
File: 084.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
084.png
102KB, 300x256px
>>3027847

>communications
>meaningful degree
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.