[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting GF into pet photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: File Feb 20, 2 38 20 PM.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
File Feb 20, 2 38 20 PM.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
She expressed interest the other day so I figured I could get her a basic setup for her upcoming birthday. What's a good camera body and what lens should I get? Should I get lights or reflective panels? I'd like to craigslist or ebay the hardware if possible, she'd upgrade anyway if she wanted to get serious about it

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6 Plus
Camera Software8.1.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:02:12 22:49:17
Exposure Time1/4 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating320
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-1.8 EV
Exposure Bias1/256 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2448
Image Height3264
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
What's your budget?
>>
>>3025656
you could potentially get her started with film photography. you can find a decent SLR for dirt cheap, and it's fun to experiment with different film stocks and processing techniques (assuming you have access to a darkroom and won't just have your pics developed at the store). plus girls dig the whole hipster aesthetic.
>>
do not buy a film camera for shooting pets, you need high-iso performance (for in-door)and autofocus(at least for your beginner gf).get a a6300 or something with okay lens. they are good enough for shooting pets.
>>
get her a second hand Fuji mirrorless
>pic related
>>
>>3025693

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kodak+portra+cat&biw=1410&bih=781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIsL_-x5_SAhWHuBoKHbL3CbEQ_AUIBigB

I beg to differ; these are all quite good.
>>
>>3025706
just count how many pics are taken in room without extra lighting

KYS
>>
>>3025665
Is $300 laughably low for a used digital setup? Also it looks like portrait lenses are usually 80-200mm, is this what I'm going for?
>>
>>3025983
old rabal with kit lens.
>>
File: _IMG5554_pexp.jpg (325KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
_IMG5554_pexp.jpg
325KB, 1200x795px
>>3025693
don't mind me, just shooting my cat with tri-x

Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
>>
>>3025984
Canon rebel? What's a kit lens?
>>
File: IMG_8160_copy.jpg (239KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8160_copy.jpg
239KB, 1024x683px
Buy the cheapest, last generation rebel and a 50mm f/1.8 lens for her, it will be pretty decent outdoors stopped down to maybe f/2.8

Don't attempt shooting pets indoors. The lighting will be poor (especially if you rely on indoor tungsten balanced lighting) and considering pets don't really like to sit still. Shooting outdoors is much easier but still takes patience.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
PhotographerJohan Robertsson
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:08:10 00:01:27
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length97.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height683
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3026292
To clarify, you could probably get for around 300-400 USD a used Canon Rebel T5 (1200D in europe) or the newer T6 (1300D in europe) and The old Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, or the newer EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, OR the dirt cheap chinese knock-off clone (optically decent) Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8.
>>
>>3026296
thanks for the tips, appreciate it
>>
>>3026287
the 18-55 lens that comes with them. It's more versatile then a 50mm prime if she wants to be shooting things like landscapes.
>>
>>3026674
looks like it's f/3.5-5.6, that's worse for low light conditions right? seems like a meh tradeoff
>>
>>3026676
now your just gearfagging
>>
>>3027073
I don't know enough to gearfag, I just figure more light = better image
>>
>>3027197

Sure in some conditions, but with a 50mm prime your stuck at 50mm. I find it a tough focal length for crop sensors, but I dont shoot portraits.
>>
>gimme basic gear for my basic bitch
>>
>>3027788
if I go with the nifty fifty, what are 2nd and 3rd lenses to get for pet photography? From life experience I prefer to go with dedicated tools instead of multipurpose ones - the tradeoffs ultimately leave me unsatisfied
>>
>>3027870
Fast wide angle for cute closeups and a telezoom for snapping from further away when they run around on a field or something.
>>
>>3025656

You aren't getting her into pet photography; you don't even have basic knowledge.

You're getting her into snapshitting.
>>
>>3025693
thats a bloody lie, if anything film renders better animals because of higher dynamic range. I couldnt take a picture of my back cat with digital but in film there is detail everywhere
>>
>>3028040
Oh come on now, maybe with a point&shoot from 1998 you'd have some trouble, but any modern camera has enough dynamic range. I have a black and white dog and I've never had any dr problems taking her pics in any light with any of my cameras.
>>
>>3027870

I dont get why you think the 50mm is such a good choice, it's so limiting. If you need something faster than the kit lens (which you wont), get the Sigma 17-50 2.8 used.
>>
>>3028410
It's a crop sensor, that already isn't ideal. Crop sensor + small aperture lens sounds like too many sacrifices to me. Again, this hardware will all be sold soon pending her decision to pursue or not. I'm assuming I'll be able to get the money out of it that I put into it so I'd rather get the best picture available in the mean time
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.