[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>STREET PHOTOGRAPHY What are the best resources for learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: 3SK1p.jpg (368KB, 2000x1997px) Image search: [Google]
3SK1p.jpg
368KB, 2000x1997px
>STREET PHOTOGRAPHY

What are the best resources for learning street photography?

Who are some great street photographers that are worth following?

Tell me everything

>POST YOUR BEST STREET PHOTOGRAPHY SHOT

bonus points for street photography in atypical locations
>>
Bump I'm attempting street photography, for the first time, tomorrow and would like pointers
>>
street photography is a meme, lads. don't bother with it.
>>
>>3022909
Is that Regan?
>>
Just go into a city center and shoot photos of people with wide open aperture and buildings/ lights all bokehed out in the background
>>
File: IMG_0363.jpg (396KB, 1121x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0363.jpg
396KB, 1121x864px
>>3022917
>Bump I'm attempting street photography, for the first time, tomorrow and would like pointers

Here's your lesson:

If you live in a town that is not a metro, you're fucked. Period. I don't care if your town has a "downtown." If the streets aren't crowded enough where you can just blend into a crowd, people will immediately notice your camera and either be on guard or resent having their pic taken.

You're better off in places like that of either sitting still and using a telephoto so long no one notices you (which defeats the purpose of using something like a 50mm or 24-70, or outright asking permission of people like shopkeepers or street vendors. Average folk in a town of say 100,000 where you're not constantly passing people on the street and everybody knows everybody are just far more likely to flip out in my experience because they're not used to the kind of random shit that can happen on *real* streets in metro areas like NYC or LA or Atlanta, Seattle, etc...

So you really have two options: Overt, or covert. If you go overt, most people will be on guard and you won't be getting natural shots - although in my experience people are less likely to freak out because they are more likely to see it coming. If you go covert, you're more likely to get natural pictures, but if / when people notice you, they will flip the fuck out because you covertly took a picture. Get it?

In a place like NYC or something, there's so many fucking people you can just pause, snap, and move on - people forget about you as soon as you're out of view. But when they can see you coming with your camera all the way down the block on a small town street, it's a very different story.

And don't fucking be this guy walking around jamming a flash gun in little old lady's faces...there are fucking better ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Go ahead and be prepared for confrontation, no matter what you do. It will happen. A lot.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5i
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:02:13 17:28:51
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width5184
Image Height3456
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: Velvia100F_003.jpg (359KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Velvia100F_003.jpg
359KB, 1000x667px
I'm still shit at it, but I'm getting braver. No amount of reading is going to teach you. You just need to get out there and do it. It's like reading up on how to do a backflip. Eventually you need to leave the basement, go outside, and just huck yourself.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:02:07 18:36:53
Exposure Time2 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Brightness-7.1 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCool White Fluorescent
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width1000
Image Height667
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
meh type of photography
>>
This looks awful.
>>
>>3022909
Take camera, shoot a lot on street without shaking your hands too much. Sift out the shots that are most interesting to you, and maybe most interesting to someone not from your place.
>>
I could give you the best advice, but you didnt start the post with a photo of yours, you posted that stupid half chink e-celeb, and now i have to hide this thread. Dumbass.
>>
>>3022918
It actually is. Unless you're doing something interesting with it, it's almost pointless.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.jpg (2MB, 2500x1762px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.jpg
2MB, 2500x1762px
>>3022964
shit advice.

street photography is easy
1. don't be a pussy
2. learn how to smile
3. be ready to talk to people when they ask you why the fuck you just took their photo
4. if bruce gilden'ing around the city is your thing, by all means go for it. if you're more of a passive meyerowitz type, learn to train your eye to pick out scenes that are out of the ordinary.
5. have fun with it

check out matt stuart, probably my favorite contemporary street photographer at the moment
>>
>>3023174
>>3022964
SC Charleston is where I'm thiking of going, but if anon is't correct about "if something is out of the ordinary people flip the fuck out" that's so true here, so maybe it's a bad idea anyway
>>
Just buy a cellphone with a good camera and take pictures of chill things. This is what 201x street photography is.

what you guys praise as street is the same shit asians been doing for the last few decades, and it's oversaturated af
>>
>>3022964
>bruce gilden
>not /ourguy/

I mean sure he's an invasive dickhole but he did give some good cc here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=540JpC9IbEU

he just doesn't give a fuck; he almost committed suicide at some point apparently, so he's in yolo mode
he even gets angry at the people who stop to pose for his weird shots
I honestly think that's the kind of shit you need to pull these days to stand out
>>
File: IMG_8435.jpg (175KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8435.jpg
175KB, 1080x1080px
Either get good at being an approachable person or really really good at creepshots.

Image Width1080
Image Height1080
>>
>>3023189
Lol that shit was hilarious.
Wished he would visit /p/ just to critique our snap shits. It would be an honor
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.