[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cameras for HIGH altitude

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: fujifilmx100.jpg (230KB, 1200x671px) Image search: [Google]
fujifilmx100.jpg
230KB, 1200x671px
Hey folks,
so I'm trying to determine what the best option is for high altitude photography. horror story is I took my iPhone camera through the Himalayas a few years back. either the cold or the altitude fucked with the storage and wiped my photos and wreaked havoc on my battery. looking to not make the same mistake twice.
so id like your recommendation on high altitude ready cameras that'll have no problem at 20000 feet

probably 35mm but maybe digital like pic related (way too expensive)

please something cost effective and below 500 dollars, maybe even sub 200

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
File: 51V1PA6O5ZL.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51V1PA6O5ZL.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>
File: _WM39924.jpg (127KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
_WM39924.jpg
127KB, 1000x500px
>>3019392

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D4
Camera SoftwareAperture 3.5.1
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)160 mm
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2012:09:12 16:43:55
Exposure Time1/500 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating800
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceFine Weather
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length160.00 mm
Comment WILSON WEBB
Image Width2427
Image Height1213
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: CanonAE1-1.jpg (763KB, 1200x921px) Image search: [Google]
CanonAE1-1.jpg
763KB, 1200x921px
>>3019392

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
>>3019395
>NIKON D4
jesus, 400$?!?!

I was thinking of something I could pick up secondhand for about 200 but the Nikon looks insanely awesome
>>
yep, just get a 35mm slr of your preferred brand.

>my choice
>>
>>3019398
any mods I have to make in terms of weather proofing, good choice btw
>>
File: Gopro.jpg (115KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Gopro.jpg
115KB, 900x675px
>>
>>3019397
It was kind of a joke, Its a screenshot from a movie where he was in the Himalayas taking photos.

If you're looking for a digital camera below $500 or $200, it's going to be tough, and I don't know how cold of weather you're going to be encountering. But at $500, you probably can't be too choosy. I'd say go for a simple canon t3i, used on B&H and just try to hope for the best. It will probably work.
>>
>>3019405
oh shit, walter mitty? didn't even realize.
t3i's aren't too bad actually, any tips on weatherproofing?
>>
>>3019392
Hold on a minute here, fucktard. What actually happened with your iPhone that your photos got wiped? That makes no sense. I've never had a problem with flash memory in cold weather. Batteries are another issue.

Batteries are shit in cold weather. That's the truth. You need to keep them warm, at least when you're shooting. Keep the camera in your chest pocket and you should have no problem. If you can't or won't keep them warm then get a 35mm film camera like others have suggested.
>>
>>3019407
lol, yeah, it's my favorite movie.

Not sure how weather proof you need it, but there are some cheap options like pic related. looks like they're about $60.
>>
You're probably best off getting something like the Panasonic DMC-TS6Z or some other waterproof point-and-shoot since it sounds like moisture was likely the problem you had with photos disappearing. As for the cold, keep it close to your body when you intend to use it otherwise the battery will be shit.
>>
>>3019410
lol camera condoms
>>
>>3019412
lol, basically. But it might work for some cheap weatherproofing
>>
>>3019412
>>3019414
lol haha lol
>>
>>3019414
>>3019410
>>3019409
thanks, this helps! think im gonna go with the canon ae1, pentax or the Panasonic
i'll try and keep them warm but it's awkward when you try and put them inside your jacket near your chest, that's why I thought a fully manual 35mm would be more reliable, but a ton of people say iphones are fine as long as you keep them warm
>>
>>3019392
I've been up to 5400m with my D3100 without issues, although it wasn't particularly cold at the time. I have also taken it snowshoeing in -25C without issues. In May I will be taking it up Denali - so will see how it does at 6200m.

As stated, the main problem with batteries is they die when they get cold. A cold battery will recover when it warms up however. What I do is carry mutliple batteries and keep them warm - when the battery in my camera gets too cold I just swap it out and continually rotate like that.

IMO the problem with keeping a camera in your jacket is that keeping the camera itself warm means it will be at risk of fogging up every time you take it out of your jacket if it is sufficiently cold out. A camera that you carry in a seperate pouch stays cold and doesn't fog or freeze over as long as you don't breathe on the lens. The only part that really needs to be warm is the battery.
>>
How about a D300? The bodies go for less than $300 and it's a very capable and extremely durable camera. Use the rest of the money for a lens or two and you'll be set.
>>
>>3019392
I'd say that you want fully manual, no batteries. Spotmatic would be my choice
>>
>>3019397
thats an f3t tho
>>
>>3019400
get a weatherproof 35mm, the pentax lx is good
>>
Pentax K3 is the only camera I would trust. K1 is too heavy and expensive, and cheaper K cameras are not as well sealed. A K7-K5IIS would theoretically survive too, but at an old age the seals may not work anymore.
>>
>>3019454
Read the exif
>>
File: Nikonos-Ambiance-Gear-Patrol.jpg (71KB, 650x411px) Image search: [Google]
Nikonos-Ambiance-Gear-Patrol.jpg
71KB, 650x411px

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 Macintosh
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015-03-16T16:06:56-04:00
Image Width650
Image Height411
>>
Take a 4x5 field camera, nothing will stop you.
>>
>>3019455
LX is sealed, but not K3-level sealed. Plus, no seals on the classic lenses, even if the tolerances are fairly tight on the older metal barrel ones.

Also, it is battery-operated for shutter speeds 1/60 and below. Dunno how that would fare in the cold for a longer period of time, I'd probably go with something fully mechanical (at half or quarter price) if I had the choice.
>>
>>3019444
I second this, durable as hell cameras.
>>
>>3019398
this is a god-tier slr
>>
>>3019407
You could try a used 7d, ISO performance is pretty bad (don't go over 3200) but that camera was damn near indescribable
>>
Olympus Tough

You can also go diving with it and use it as a hammer.
>>
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/31970-pentax-k10d-space.html

100k ft in the air, completely exposed to the elements. I think I'd only trust a flagship pentacks (or a film camera)
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.