[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling and Photography

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: thinking.jpg (207KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
207KB, 728x546px
How do you balance travel and getting good shots? Do you bring a compliment of lenses or a travel lens set?

Currently I just bring my 60D, 24-105, and then 10-18. Sometimes I miss some macro shot, long range shot, etc that if I brought all my lenses I coulda had. At the same time I don't want to have to walk around all day with 4 extra lenses and shit on vacation and have to plan my day around photography.

I'm going to Italy for 10 nights in 2 months and plan to just bring the kit mentioned above, get up one day early to take some nice shots at sunrise in each city I go to, scouted a few and wrote down some ideas, and then snapshot the rest.

Anyone else do more? How do you manage walking around with all the gear and shit? It sucks having to bring a camera bag around into restaurants, etc.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:12:21 01:04:50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width728
Image Height546
>>
>>3019338
when i travel i just bring my gr21 and a hexar rf with 35mm
>>
>>3019338
i guess i just dont find carrying a bag to be bothersome or something to plan around. i carry two film bodies with 28/50/135/200 primes

>It sucks having to bring a camera bag around into restaurants, etc.
honestly.. why?
>>
>>3019379
>tfw to poor for hexar rf
>>
>>3019338
Are you travelling to take photographs or travelling for some other reason and just taking a camera?
>>
One camera, one prime lens.

Has worked for me on all my trips which added up together since 2012 equates to about 16 months of travel.
>>
>>3019440
This is pretty good. Shot my last trips with a 35 1.8 which was especially great in the evening and nighttime.
Sometimes wished for something wider. But I wasn't convinced with the 24 and 28 2.8 as primes so I will most likely get a 16-50 or 17-50 now that I will bring if I feel in need of something more versatile.
>>
>>3019430
wanna buy mine? it's pretty beat
>>
>>3019338
The 24-105 turns any camera into an unstoppable monster.
Anyone who claims to "need" more than that may be a massive gearfag.
I did 3 weeks in japan with just a 50 and a 35, and 2 weeks in NZ with just a 30 and a 28, and never wanted for more.
>>
>>3019440

This. Take to much gear and it becomes a burden. Keep it light and easy.
>>
>>3019451
$?
>>
Kit lens(18-55 or 24-70 on FF) + a fast lens or tele.
>>
>>3019338
If i'm going out for a day where I plan to shoot a lot, 70-200 f4 & 24-70 f4.

If it's with me just in case, a 28mm f2 and 55mm f1.8
>>
It depends if your trip goal is photography or enjoyment. Naturally, the most versatile choice is a 24-xx zoom. I personally go for a 35 and a 70-210/4. The only time that setup is inadequate is indoors where a 20 would be more useful, but I don't want to carry all that much.
>>
>>3019513
Pretty much. I went on a day trip to sweden a few years back. I had 5-6 lenses with me, ended up using only the sigma 30 1.4 the whole trip. The other stuff was only a hindrance.
>>
>>3019429

Because a lot of restaurants are smallish, pack you in, etc.

>>3019431
>>3019562

Photography is my biggest hobby but I'm not traveling with a primary purpose, I want to get good shots though to print out and remember and to share with friends.

>>3019510

The 24-105 makes me want a full frame camera more than anything, 24 would be perfect on full frame but on crop it's too narrow to get large buildings and shit.

That being said the 10-18 is a perfect compliment and small enough to throw in a tiny bag or friends purse.
>>
The most practical kit imho would be something like

Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC
82mm and 67mm Variable NDs
Good hybrid full frame camera (D750+/5D-6D)
>>
I guarantee no one on this board travels even 1/3rd as much as I do so i'll bite.

I use one body and the 18-55 kit lens (which is quite stellar, it's the Mk.II VR) as my go-to walkaround. I have a 35,50 and 85 prime if it's night or I plan on stalking people, a 180 for birds and an 11-16 for landscapes and all of it fits in a regular Canon DSLR bag nothing special. If I really want I can even squeeze in a film body.

The point is, have an idea of what it is you're after and mount that on the camera but have a plan to drop it on a moment's notice for another lens, I usually carry the 35 or 85 in my pocket if I don't have the bag.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.