[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retard-level question on focal length

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 61UVSdr6QVL._SL1500_.jpg (58KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61UVSdr6QVL._SL1500_.jpg
58KB, 1500x1200px
Hey /p/, probably an autist-level question about a lens.

I have a Rebel T6i that I'm looking to get a new lens for, a 24-mm f/2.8.

Looking at the description on Amazon, there's a line that I'm not sure about.

>Wide-angle lens for Canon APS-C cameras (equivalent to 38mm on a full-frame camera)

Any way I can tell what the actual focal length would be? I'm still obviously learning and I don't wanna fuck it up before I buy it.
>>
It will be a 24mm lens. No if's, and's, or but's about that.

It will shoot photos similar in field-of-view and depth-of-field to those shitty old fixed lens rangefinders with 38mm f4-or-so lenses.
>>
File: FX-and-DX-camera.png (33KB, 650x481px) Image search: [Google]
FX-and-DX-camera.png
33KB, 650x481px
>>3019268
The actual, physical focal length is exactly as the name implies, 24mm.

However on a APS-C camera such as yours the field of view will be more akin to that of a 38mm focal length lens.

This is because the area capturing light is smaller than that of a full frame camera. The image I've attached should explain how this works
>>
>>3019268
Basically, the lens will be 24mm but it will have the overall field of view of a 38mm lens. The depth of field will look like f/4 not f/2.8. It will let in the same amount of light as a f/2.8, it just won't have as smooth of a background.
>>
>>3019275
So if I were to compare it to my 18-55 (purely on levels of zoom), it would be the equivalent of setting the length to 24mm?
>>
>>3019278
Yes correct
>>
>>3019280

Alright, thanks for the help!
>>
>>3019268
This really makes me wonder why lens manufacturers don't put a few different versions of what the focal length would be on the lens or in the manual.

We should have a universal system for measuring lens fov, dof, and compression.
>>
>>3019345

Compression is a function of perspective tho
>>
>>3019268
The aps-c sensor on the t6i has a 1.6 crop factor. Any lens you put on it will need to be multiplied by 1.6 to get its equivalent focal length on a full frame sensor. Example a 50mm lens on your camera will act like an 80mm because 50x1.6=80
>>
It's a fucking great lens, get it.
>>
>>3019345
>We should have a universal system for measuring lens fov, dof, and compression.

Well, every lens has FoV listed in its specs (for the intended film/sensor format(s)), but somehow people prefer focal length; depth of field is a complex function that includes distance to subject so it cannot be expressed as a fixed value; and perspective compression doesn't have any numerical representation at all.
>>
File: standards.png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24KB, 500x283px
>>3019345
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.