[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHOOTING STRANGERS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

how do I GET GUD at getting up close to people and taking their picture whether they like it or not?

I shoot with a wide fixed lens. I recently had a guy yell at me and it's made me hesitant now. I can handle myself but I don't want my camera smashed

when do you ask for permission first, if at all? when do you simply fire away?

what do you do if someone gets irate?
>>
JUST

BEE

URSELF

M8
>>
Only one time i had someone putting his hand in front of my camera. And i took hundreds of people. But i am in Japan so it's easy mode.

What i do is try to take the pics while not looking in the vf. Try to predict where people would be so i place my camera before and people just enter my field. And if you want to look in the vf, don't look people into the eyes after the shot.
>>
>>3010527
martin parr compliments people
you probably shouldn't go around telling tough guys you like their hair though
>>
>>3010527
I have a similar problem as well I'm afraid of being confronted when i do street photography. some people are generally OK with it and even smile while others will come up to you and yell.
>when do you ask for permission first, if at all?
you just keep shooting. if you get confronted ask them if they would like the picture deleted, sometimes a missed shot is better than a fist or shattered glass.
What i like to do is act like I'm shooting behind them so they wont expect a thing
>>
>>3010527
Just smile. If people get mad, they get mad. Do whatever you want to do to de-escalate from there or don't, but most people are fine if you show them a glimmer of consideration
>>
File: DSC00090.jpg (348KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00090.jpg
348KB, 667x1000px
I've found that it helps to live in a big city. I lived in Orlando up until August when I moved to Chicago.
Orlando had a fairly small downtown which was mainly offices and corporate property with not many people out, compared to Chicago which is a bustling metropolis. Although Orlando was much more laid back than Chicago, most of the people you would meet in Orlando were a lot more hostile or uneasy towards cameras (Had a dudebro track me down after he walked into the frame of a shot I never took and threatened to smash my XA if I wasn't in a public space with other people like I was).
Chicago is a lot different in that there's a lot people in a rush to do get somewhere, so they could care less about that guy walking down the crowded street with his camera. If you do ever piss someone off, it'll probably be a foreign tourist; I've noticed more nasty looks from Indian and southern Asian tourists than any other group when downtown.

Don't get in people's faces with a flash like you're Eric Kim, don't loiter around people and act like a creep, take two shots at max, look like a decent member of society, don't act sheepish or withdrawn, know when and when not to take a photo, and always be respectful. You're just a normal dude who likes street photography, not a paparazzo or a weird creep.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2017:01:26 23:52:40
Exposure Time1/90 sec
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating6400
Brightness-4.9 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceTungsten
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3010674
isn't this hard on full manual?

I guess I could just try it with the settings roughly pre-selected
>>
>>3010708
you nailed it actually. I feel like 9 times out of 10 I'll hesitate and hover around pretending like I'm not taking a picture

the way you put it makes me realize, it's infinitely better to just move decisively and take the shot you want and be done with it
>>
Get permission you spergs.
>>
>>3010857
I take my street photos with P. I mess up the focus sometimes, but when i do it like this i take as many shot as possible. Got a 6D with the quiet shutter it's not really noisy.
>>
How close would you get if you were invisible?
Never get permission unless you want a portrait.
I give the smile and quick compliment. Offer to delete (don't delete if it's a great shot). The more withdrawn you are the more creepy it looks.
>>
Just experience desu. It's ok to shoot backs and from the hip at first to gain confidence.

I just snap, smile and nod. That's all you really need. If someone shouts at you, just keep going. If someone asks to see, show them, unless it's film. Be nice but confident.

>>3010968
This.
>>
Beat yourself up about the shot that you could have taken. Walk around with all these missed shots in your head. That's what I did and I couldn't take it anymore. Every close shot you take you gain more confidence, like building a muscle. Try a 50mm, too.
>>
If someone confronts you about taking a photo of them just use your best Gay Lisp to tell them,

"I'm not a photographer I'm an artist"

Works every time.
>>
>>3010527
I am not doing photography of people myself because I'm too autistic for that but I think the best way to handle that would be to just do it with confidence. If someone actually comes up to you, just explain them that you thought they were a great motive, make it sound like a compliment or even straight up compliment them and say that you are a photographer trying to get better.

Just be honest, then you are confident and then the people around you will also be confident.
>>
>>3010527
Easiest way is to go to crowded busy places where nobody gives a damn about you. Touristy places are the best, because everyone thinks you're just another lousy tourist snapping his shitty travel shots.
>>
>>3011115
>>3010527
Having said that, honestly, stop thinking that snapping pics of random strangers in the street is photography. Everything ever done in this genre after Bresson is shit.
>>
File: 1468385635381.jpg (83KB, 445x730px) Image search: [Google]
1468385635381.jpg
83KB, 445x730px
>>3011117
>it's all been done, just give up now

what should I be out taking pictures of instead? deciduous trees in winter? foggy rural roadways? rusty volvos?

you're so preoccupied with presenting the accepted blue board behaviour of scathing cynicism that you forgot to be of any use to anyone.
>>
>>3010855
you can set the camera on manual and pre focus at a estimated distance. it takes a little time, but you can average the distance from something that stays in focus
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.