[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you use your light meter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: light-meter-exposure.jpg (19KB, 600x242px) Image search: [Google]
light-meter-exposure.jpg
19KB, 600x242px
do you use your light meter?
>>
>>3010229
You read it.
>>
>>3010229
Nope. Only A and P mode.
>>
>>3010229
All the time, I shoot mostly in Av mode, so I use exp. compensation all the time. It's especially useful these days with the snow.
>>
I used my light meter in 2005. I use a live histogram now.
>>
>>3010239

They had histograms in 2005 too.
>>
>>3010240
Your point?
My DSLR didn't have one.
>>
>>3010241

It did. Maybe not a live histogram, but it had one regardless.
>>
>>3010242
It had a /playback/ histogram, which is useful but a totally different beast. Chimping is a waste of time and a bad exposure technique, especially since I mostly shot people and events back then. You had to nail exposure even in raw on a Pentax *ist, and so I used the spot meter to decent success.
>>
File: ars gratia artis.jpg (119KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
ars gratia artis.jpg
119KB, 1000x625px
>>3010229
>2017
>properly exposing photos

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.6 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution600 dpi
Vertical Resolution600 dpi
Image Created2017:01:26 11:13:51
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
sometimes
>>
>>3010229
Only when shooting film. The metering in older kit can start to get off and even then usually only when doing portraits I care about
>>
Is it okay to use it? I usually use it mostly at night when using manual
>>
>>3010287
Whatever gets you the shot.
>>
>>3010287
Duh?
>>
>>3010278
at least there's no iso grain
>>
For off camera lighting, I hear its needed in order to get those %'s.
>>
>>3011777
For manual off camera flash it will always show you that your subject is underexposed, so only for ttl remotes probably
>>
>>3010229

Of course I use my Nikon's light meter.
I would never be caught dead with a Canon though, Anon.
>>
My main camera these days is fully auto, so no. I adjust the iso to compensate sometimes though.
>>
>>3010229
>not having an evf in current year

Lel, newb.
>>
>>3011901
>mirrorless

not even once
>>
Since I use full manual/mechanical film cameras, yes, always. It's gotten easier to guesstimate correct exposure, having to exactly know the lighting conditions and readouts for every single photo - of course if the weather and setting permit, you meter once and then just shoot at that EV, with corrections as needed per scene. Having to do the thinking and calculations yourself quickly becomes habitual and instinctive - in the future hopefully to the point of not needing the meter most of the time.
Also, blindly trusting a circuit to correctly calculate the exposure for you in every situation and context is plain unhealthy. Only fuckups that happen should be your own fault/responsibility, not the camera's.

All of the above only applies to film, and then not always.
>>
>>3011901
How's that battery life?

Using an optical viewfinder with light-meter takes a little more skill.
But the end result is the same.
>>
>>3011918
Here it is ladies and gentlemen.
EVF is officially surpassing OVF.
>>
>>3010229
No, i just press the shutter.
Btw i have problems focusing my leica, seems to be broken, the pictures in the finder are always sharp, although there is a blurry spot in the middle. And the pics turn out to be either out of focus or even black all the time. Pls help.
>>
>>3011984
Who cares its just a viewfinder. Y'all need to stop discussing which viewfinder is better and just get out and shoot
>>
>>3010229
Lmao whathe the fuck. Yes you idiots, you're always supposed to use it. What kind of thread is this.

If you actually go around proudly expressing that you don't use the meter you'll be seen as an idiot by people who actually know how to take photos.
>>
File: sekoni6.jpg (30KB, 331x568px) Image search: [Google]
sekoni6.jpg
30KB, 331x568px
>>3010229
>TFW I USE A SEKONIC 398 METER, INCIDENT METERS KICK A 5000 DOLLAR'S DSLR, METER ASS ALL DAY EVERY DAY
>>
File: rsz_20170131_121204_richtonehdr.jpg (444KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20170131_121204_richtonehdr.jpg
444KB, 1000x563px
reflected light mustard race

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelSM-P605
Camera SoftwareP605XXUCNF2
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.4
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)32 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:01:31 12:12:03
F-Numberf/2.4
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Focal Length3.40 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeUnknown
>>
>>3013015
One of those is mine you bastard. You'll have to discount me if you want to be posting it publicly.
>>
>>3013103
I just f-figured I'd post t-that here since it's r-relevant, Éire-san ;__;
>>
File: lightmeter.jpg (312KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
lightmeter.jpg
312KB, 1000x562px
>>3010229
>>
File: sek.jpg (63KB, 570x470px) Image search: [Google]
sek.jpg
63KB, 570x470px
>>3013225
my two i love them
>>
>>3010229
mostly when I'm going for siluetes/dark images otherwise I just shoot and adjust unless I might not have the time to do that, I'm slow like a fucking slug so I'm prone to fuck it up if I'm trying to capture the "moment"
>>
>>3010752
it's dark as shit why would it have any iso grain tho?
>>
I base my pictures around it by focusing a mood.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.