[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why post a picture without editing it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 10

File: dean.jpg (75KB, 620x407px) Image search: [Google]
dean.jpg
75KB, 620x407px
Why are so many people not editing their shots, just posting them straight from camera or with just basic temperature corrections?

People talk so much about gear around here but don't even bother to spend some time getting the best out of what they shoot.
>>
Probably because they're newbies. I don't know a single person who has been doing this longer than six months who doesn't post process.
>>
Newbie ideal, "I want to present things as they really are!!"

Generally the reason is being new, and frightened by the idea of processing their own pictures and (god forbid!) having an artistic vision. Most consumers prefer to operate an expensive bit of kit instead.

The next level is composition by zoom, or crop.
>>
>>3007577
newbs tend to think that if you apply a color present on camera, its a more honest practice than using photoshop, too.

there was this local "pro" that was infatuated with the idea of SOOC pictures, so he did his portraits and they all had this retarded red cast on everything, grey shadows too, all his stuff had this soccer mom quality to it, it was sad and hilarious at the same time.
>>
oh, again that raw vs jpg shit.
>>
File: todd_hido7.jpg (461KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
todd_hido7.jpg
461KB, 1200x1500px
>>3007577
I agree 100%.
One of my favorite artists is Todd Hido, and he edits the shit of his pictures, but if you show them to most people they wouldn't even think that they're heavily edited.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width2400
Image Height3000
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2010:02:03 17:26:44
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1200
Image Height1500
>>
>>3007571
>muh high contrast and crushed blacks
what a hack
>>
>>3007571
Because I'm smart enough to know how to do most of what I want in camera using controls that most of you have long neglected to learn to use because you're insecure about your identity as a "photographer" and were once told by a blog that "shooting raw is the only way to go, jpegs have no purpose"
>>
>>3007628
isi please keep your trip on so my filters work
>>
ITT: newfags pretend to be old and wisened, with pinterest albums full of neat infographics
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHvCkRTK4_g

Really just depends on what kinda camera you own desu senpai
>>
>>3007571
i can achieve that by setting +3 highlights, +1 shadow on my fuji.
>>
>>3007571
you dont need to edit your snapshit for us to tell if its good or not
>>
>>3007571
do you have more pics like this?
>>
>>3007628
>most of
Did someone just discover colour grading?
>>
>>3007658
>grain control
>independent shadow and highlight controls for manipulating curves
>white balance
>white balance shift
>sharpening
>noise reduction
>different film simulations with different noise patterns and properties
I'm just shooting film in a digital camera. That's all. Sorry you can't shoot slides, dude.
>>
>>3007666
Kek. I've actually been enjoying the results.
>>
>>3007577
>Newbie ideal, "I want to present things as they really are!!"

Besides being some fantastic ideal which I did not hear about for years (while I am constantly meeting with people who HOWD YOU PSHOP THAT PHOTO LIKE THIS FILTER) this is a valid reason for many people who experienced more than maintaining X Y photography page in social network.
>>
File: FOTO6499.jpg (388KB, 1250x850px) Image search: [Google]
FOTO6499.jpg
388KB, 1250x850px
>>3007666
Satanic trips brings heavenly knowledge. As above, so below.

>>
>>3007678
Better to reign in hell?
>>
>>3007632
>listening to someone who literally told people to tape over the screen on the back of their camera
>>
>>3007628
Just shoot RAW+JPEG, duh.
>>
File: 1440057945903.jpg (323KB, 939x914px) Image search: [Google]
1440057945903.jpg
323KB, 939x914px
>>3007678
>As above, so below.
The Kingdom of Heaven lies within. You are the universe experiencing itself. All is one.
>>
>>3007688
“When the pupil is ready to receive the truth, then will this little book come to him, or her. Such is The Law. ...The Law of Attraction, will bring lips and ear together - pupil and book in company. So mote it be!
>>
>>3007690
>>
>>3007632
man what a fucking (hopefully bribed) retard
>>
>>3007704
>>
>>3007628
>op shows image manipulated in a way impossible in camera
>you guys just don't know how to edit in camera
>>3007666
>admits camera doesn't even have proper curves
>can't adjust colour through curves
>can't adjust hsl of different colours either
>argues that colour theory is a strong point of their photography
>film sims with added grain
>never shot film
>thinks digital camera actually gives film like results
>blown areas in half of their shots
>sharpening... Because any software outside of the camera gives soft detail

You're a great example of bad practices and why to avoid them though, so, thanks?
>>
>>3007628
The RAW previews in my camera actually have a jpeg "filter" applied to them so they look more saturated and have more contrast. And pretty much all of them come out looking the way I'd want them to, which means I know how to use the camera properly. But I still prefer editing in PS out of habit.
>>
>>3008040
>>blown areas in half of their shots
in isi's shots? I don't think so pal
jamiewilliams.22slides.com
These are all jpegs, iirc.
>>
File: avedon.jpg (276KB, 479x619px) Image search: [Google]
avedon.jpg
276KB, 479x619px
>>3007657
one of Avedon's images.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Width958
Image Height1237
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2011:04:12 09:24:35
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width479
Image Height619
>>
>>3008040
>>admits camera doesn't even have proper curves
adjusting shadows and highlights contrast seperately *is* curves. It's just presented as a numerical dialogue instead of a curve graph.

Not sure why you think it's so vital to adjust color through curves or HSL, not everyones seeking to alter reality.

>argues that color theory is a strong point of their photography
I'd argue that jpeg shooters, just like film shooters, are able to better incorporate color theory in the field owing to each jpeg mode having its own latitudes and limitations.

>blown areas in half of their shots
Nah, I know how to expose too.
>>
I wonder if it ever occured to anyone in this thread that people did this back in the day to broaden films latitude and to cover for mistakes and equalize exposures better across a more limited medium of sensitivities.

Film doesn't have cutesy mid-range ISO values. You get it there with D&B, pushing and pulling. That doesn't mean every photo requires those steps, and your interpretation that it does makes me assume you'll be making a thread next about the golden spiral.
>>
>>3008163
>adjusting shadows and highlights contrast seperately *is* curves
>being able to adjust "highlights" and "shadows" via 5 presets with no ev & q values is now curves

Lol.

>I'd argue that jpeg shooters, just like film shooters, are able to better incorporate color theory in the field owing to each jpeg mode having its own latitudes and limitations.

>comparing jpegs with 12 stops of DR with no "hidden" data with a physical medium that records over 20 stops and is adjustable in the darkroom to have different colour balance, contrast, D&B, gradient filters, etc.

Get out kiddo

>Nah, I know how to expose too.
>not understanding the limits of your medium

Kekkerino.

This is why you ignore fuji shooters.
>>
>>3007635
:^)
>>
>>3007677
>this is a valid reason
Found the newbie.

This doesn't exist. There is no objective "as they really are." All photography is decisions and processing. Whether you are making those decisions or you are letting your camera makes those decisions doesn't change the fact that decisions are being made. There is no such thing as objectivity in photographs.
>>
>>3008157
is this really necessary?
>>
>>3008230
No, it's a typical case of an artist being OCD, being famous, and having the OCD mistaken as a vital component of his work.
Art students do this to writers, photographers, painters, etc all the time. Stupid mystifications.

>>3008227
>thinks this is an insightful post and not tumblr tier
>calls people "newbie" on 4chan
found the newfag with a steam engine ramrod up his ass browsing /lgbt/ for homemade dildo recipes.
>>
>>3008165
>dodging and burning is only for fixing exposure mistakes
I wonder how it feels to be retarded
do you notice the drool trickling down your neck?
>>
>>3008243
Whenever you find yourself rewriting what someone said in simpler language to make your point feel stronger, you might actually be a reddit-tier faggot that's not even worth further discussion.

Avedon didn't have a live-view with contrast controls in his camera. if he did, he'd have shot differently.
You might have missed the "to broaden films latitude" part immediately preceding the word "mistake" which you clearly did read. Did you only skim, or is English your second language?

Do you always choose to pick fights in languages you can't command, anon? How does that work out for you?
>>
>>3008260
so that's a "no"?
honestly anybody who discards the powerful editing tools available to modern photographers is worse than retarded. The clinically retarded don't have a choice.
>>
>>3008261
Who's discarding them? Why do you think its black and white, you stupid-ass double-nigger? Can you not read?

"That doesn't mean every photo requires those steps, and your interpretation that it does makes me assume you'll be making a thread next about the golden spiral."

If you think every photo needs post, or that no photo can be good without post, or that choosing to shoot jpegs 90% of the time because they match your artistic vision prevents you from using photoshop that other 10% of the time.

No, you stupid fucking faggot. The issue here is you're a newfag turbosperg looking for a set of rules, conditions, and steps to follow to justify to yourself that your time was spent making art and not figuring out what this or that slider does.

You're only fooling other people of the same level of inexperience and inherently crippled creativity.
>>
>>3008272
>nigger
ah, a trump supporter. I see where the problem lies
good luck with that, buddy
>>
>>3008280
>doesn't recognize that nigger is subversive irony on 4chan
literal reddit baby go the fuck home
>>
>>3008282
reddit's great to be honest, they have much better photographers than this shithole and a much lower hipster:actual photographer ratio. you should check it out, you might learn something.
>>
>>3007678
>>3007681
>>3007688
>>3007690
2spoopy4me
>>
>>3008292
hahaha
>>
>>3008292
And yet you return here, day after day, like some victim of sibling sexual abuse eternally seeking the approval of their rapist...and believe me, what happened to you in this thread was rape, you poor defenceless child.
>>
>>3008422
>sibling sexual abuse
I have a half sister half my age. She's quite hot in a funny sort of way. Should I dodge and burn her photos or just fap?

.RAF files... she's 25.
>>
File: 1478958585424.jpg (213KB, 798x770px) Image search: [Google]
1478958585424.jpg
213KB, 798x770px
>>3008292
0/10

Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width798
Image Height770
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3008563
>mfw i face the prospect of posting on a website i can't do so anonymously.
>>
File: IMG_0119.jpg (523KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0119.jpg
523KB, 1620x1080px
I love shooting raw and editing later. Im just a noob with a pos camera

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS M
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
PhotographerDavid Swinehart
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2017:01:23 22:58:41
Exposure Time15 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/2.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1620
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>3008725
most raw fans are
>>
>>3008280
>>3008282
>>3008292
Hahahahaha
>>>/leddit/
>>
>>3008725
That picture actually made my head spins.
>>
>>3007616
I always get a laff out of hido's house hunting, my friend literally lives on the street that photo was taken on (pacifica ca)
>>
File: mynameistriggerandicomeforyou.jpg (407KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
mynameistriggerandicomeforyou.jpg
407KB, 1000x1000px
>>3007571
>Why are so many people not editing their shots
>just posting them straight from camera or with just basic temperature corrections?
Hi, my name is trigger and I come for you.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.