[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the texas leica

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 29

File: GSW690.jpg (771KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
GSW690.jpg
771KB, 2048x1365px
Anyone use this camera? What are your thoughts?
>>
>>3003108
I'm poor, OP, sorry.

I'm fine with my yashica rangefinder.
>>
>>3003148
There are two versions:

"GW690", with a 90mm lens (35mm equiv. is about 40mm i think)

"GSW690" with a 65mm lens.

Seems like the consensus on other forums is that the lenses on these cameras are extremely sharp and excellent, though every time I hear something like that I just assume its fan-boy shit and take it with a grain of salt. The sharpest MFs I have seen with my own eyes are the Mamiya 7 and Hasselblad. I am curious if these are on par or somehow better than the 7 (doubt it), because even if they are just on par, the price is really pretty great for these it seems. ~500 dollars USD for 6x9 in a rangefinder package seems like a great deal to me, but I want input on this first.

I also wonder about how monstrous this camera really is. RF cameras are usually cool because they are really low-key and easy to bring out into public without looking too awkward, especially when shooting. Does this camera completely ruin that? As opposed to a Hasselblad or RB67, I assume this is still better/more incognito compared to those huge things, but It's hard to tell from online photos or videos.

My overall question would be: Is this camera easy to travel with at all or am I underestimating it?
>>
>>3003116

Medium format is just another ballpark. 6x9 photographs are some of the largest you can get on roll film, so I think ~500 bucks is a pretty decent price if what they say about the lenses of these is true.
>>
>>3003168
Yeah, sure 500 bucks in nice compared to a mamiya 7 ou a makina 67 with youre are into MF RF but I would put my money elsewhere. I'm saving for a rb67
>>
>>3003189
Funny enough, I have been shooting with an RB67 for about 7 years now. In fact, I found out about that camera when people on this very board started buying them way back then from some guy who was selling a bulk of them on ebay with a hard-mounted eyepiece. I guess the ebay seller got a bunch of them from a company who did school portraits and I recall him selling full kits for around 250 bucks, a total steal. I wonder if anyone here remembers that or was even around then... but thats neither here nor there!

I really love the RB67's sharpness and lens system. I even picked up a really awesome handgrip (check that out if you are interested int he system), but it is just simply too difficult to carry with me nearly anywhere. I am aware that its a studio camera by nature, but I found myself wanting to use it outdoors more and more. I was thinking that perhaps these Fuji cameras would help with those issues.

If you want any first hand info on the RB before you buy one id be happy to share my experiences
>>
>>3003196
>but it is just simply too difficult to carry with me nearly anywhere.
That's my fear. I put hasselblads out of my list because of this + I would be too cautious using it afraid of damaging it.

what do you think about a bronica s2? They seem compact and light enough to carry around
>>
>>3003206
I honestly think a Hasselblad would be a joy to bring around compared to an RB, and from the one Bronica I have ever handled I'd say the same for that. I would probably look into the Bronica line to see if the lenses are sharp first and foremost. I got a kind of cheap-y vibe from the one I was messing around with for a while (it was a friends camera - I never actually shot with it). The 'blad and the bronica are square format though, which is a completely different feeling and outcome than 6x7 and beyond. Certainly a major thing to consider.

I know exactly what you are saying about feeling cautious. Thats actually a big part of the reason I chose the RB in the first place - a nice large negative for a cheap price in a sturdy package. I do enjoy feeling relief that I'm NOT carrying around a 2000 dollar camera. I could also probably beat the shit out of someone with the RB, so you get the added protection and also the piece of mind that its likely not going to break if you drop it haha. I've dropped that thing on solid concrete more than once and it still runs like clockwork. That being said, after so long of using it, I think I am just fed up with it.

Personally, I think I am just tired of top-down view cameras as well. I think I have come to the point where I realized that the positioning of those cameras and the way you use them is just not for me. That goes for the TLR's too. I have a Yashica Mat 124g that I have had just as long as the RB and I have an even harder time getting used to that. I think it has something to do with the fact that your eye never really gets close to the glass, and It never seems like I can get it into sharp focus very fast. I solved that problem with the RB by using a prism finder, but that also adds a lot more weight (at least a pound or two). I'm not so much a fan of 6x6 except on certain occasions or for good reason as well..
>>
File: rb67studio.jpg (105KB, 374x453px) Image search: [Google]
rb67studio.jpg
105KB, 374x453px
>>3003214
contd.

Don't get me wrong, you can totally take the RB out and shoot with it, and I wouldn't take shooting with it for those years back for the world. I got a lot out of that camera. When I think of shooting though now, I float towards the ease, quickness, shape, feel and usually light weight of RF.

The RB simply cant be beat for the price as a studio/portrait camera though, I will say that. Perhaps 4x5 would be even better for relatively the same price if you were using a press camera or something, but then you are buying sheet film and paying out the ass for that.

heres something I shot in studio with an RB. Jesus, how far off topic/rambling am I at this point? Oh well its fun to chat.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Macintosh
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width6024
Image Height7506
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution163 dpi
Vertical Resolution163 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2011:02:22 15:27:06
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width374
Image Height453
>>
File: rb67handheld.jpg (199KB, 670x535px) Image search: [Google]
rb67handheld.jpg
199KB, 670x535px
A shot from the 65mm RB67 lens walking around. You can get great shots walking around, your arm will just be sore as shit the next morning if you don't use a strap

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2014 (Macintosh)
Image Width6345
Image Height5076
Number of Bits Per Component16, 16, 16
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2014:12:11 16:54:14
Image Width1904
Image Height1523
>>
>>3003108
>Anonymous 01/15/17(Sun)23:00:52 No.3003108>>3003116Anyone use this camera? What are your thoughts?
no

pentaxkc 67 with cheap tag

buy one
fuck fuji
>>
>>3003228
What about Fuji don't you like? Wouldn't one of these be about the same price? Got any examples you shot with the Pentax?
>>
>>3003230
no i just boug ht it. one roll done gotta develop it.

Tbh they're cheaper, (slightly) in the right situations

the camera has mirrio lockup

more lens options, if i remember the fuji doesnt let you swap lenses it's fixed yea?
>>
>>3003232
It's fixed, yes. I have no idea about Fuji as a company since I've never owned a camera made by them which is why I asked.

Having the fixed lens doesn't really bother me too much since I usually always stick with one wider lens anyways. They stopped making them interchangeable when they noticed nobody was buying other lenses anyways.

The lens on the Fuji is actually leaf, so even though MLU is great for getting rid of vibration, the leaf shutter makes no vibration at all.

Not having the interchangeable lens does make me wonder about portability though, which is why I was hoping someone had personal experience.
>>
>>3003214
> I've dropped that thing on solid concrete more than once and it still runs like clockwork
Yeah, I tend to break things too. I dropped my F3 once I fucked the filter screw but the lens was fine. I broke the battery door cover of my D7100, I dropped my Lubitel TLR and the taking lens came out, I put it back but It will no longer focus until I adjust it to infinity.

I have a yashica TLR too, great cameras to go arround town feeling like you have a rollei without mind raping it.
>>
Saw one of these cocksuckers for the first time in person yesterday. Hilariously big.

It's to a like a 35mm rangefinder in the same way an RV/RZ is like a typical box medium format SLR. Resized 200%
>>
>>3003206
Get an SQ-A. Newer and far more abundant.
>>
>>3003239
I had a GSW for a year.

If you can live with the single focal length, it's a good camera for the outdoors, I'd say - surprisingly lightweight given the size. Fits well in the hand, and really no more cumbersome to use than a manual 35mm RF/SLR, despite the size, especially if you have large hands.

Only iffy thing is the built-in lens hood, which gets in the way of using square filters, tho those are a bit of a PITA to use in a RF anyway. Also, the shutter, despite being a leaf one, gives off this ugly loud metallic TWANGG -sound when fired for some reason. Didn't bother me that much, but if you want to be stealthy then this could be an issue for you.

I've not used a Mamiya 7 so can't say how it compares to that, but had no qualms about the picture quality of the GSW.

The only reason I sold mine was that I realized a fixed lens camera just isn't for me, and I ended up taking a lot less pictures as a consequence of that. Now that I lug a brick of a Mamya Super 23 around, I miss the days of the lightweight Fuji. And while interchangeable backs are really cool, I'll probably end up trading the 23 for the Mamiya 7 one day, once I have enough spare cash to make a complete transition.
>>
It's a terrible camera, don't get one
>>
its a great camera, go get it.
>>
>>3003165
Not on par with Mamiya 7 lenses, but not that far behind.

I own both 90mm and 65mm. What surprises me the most with the 90mm rangefinder, is how accurate the framing is. What I see in the finder is almost exactly what the film captures. Even for close-ups @ 1m. The 65mm is not that accurate, but still pretty good. Extremely simple and easy to use. No batteries.

>>3003239
> I have no idea about Fuji as a company since I've never owned a camera made by them which is why I asked.
I now own:
Fuji GX617
GW + GSW690III
GX680III
Even though they are made in plastic (metal body, plastic shell), they feel sturdy/high quality, more so than Mamiya 7.

These are the cameras I've kept. What I sold:

Hasselblad 500cm
Mamiya 7II
Leica M3
Leica R6.2

>>3003278
>metallic TWANGG -sound when fired for some reason
From what I've read, it's a spring in the framecounter. The shutter is actually very very silent. Maybe there is some way to remove or silence that spring. Like putting some sealing foam inside it.
>>
>>3003278
>Only iffy thing is the built-in lens hood, which gets in the way of using square filters
Just use step-up rings to build outside the hood. A 77mm filter / ring fits under the hood.
>>
>>3003324
ive read its fairly easy to dislodge the counter mechanism.
>>
>>3003108
I really want one but am poor
>>
>>3003108
it's still expensive.
>>
I've gotten more into MF recently, and for me the problem was also that I just don't like wlf focusing much. I shoot street mostly and it feels weird and disconnected - I prefer direct eye contact with the subject and making it clear I'm taking a picture.

I got a Pentax 6x7 and I've been enjoying it a lot. That said, the ergonomics aren't great and it's pretty fucking heavy. I still haven't used my tlr once since I got it.

If I had the money, I think I'd get the Mamiya 7 (or 6 if I ever get used to squares) or the unfortunately rare Bronica RF.

Shame the options are so limited.
>>
>>3003382
Why would you need anything more than standard focal lenght?

The mamiya 7 is sharp as fuck.
>>
File: Bigger in texas.jpg (283KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Bigger in texas.jpg
283KB, 1024x1024px
So the question is, GW670III or GW690III?
>>
>>3003429
The leica.
>>
File: konica-rapid-omega-100-and-lens.jpg (151KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
konica-rapid-omega-100-and-lens.jpg
151KB, 1000x1000px
if you want a similar but cheaper option for a 6x7 rangefinder with usable ergo, consider the Koni-Omega cameras, got a Rapid 100 kit for $120.
>>
>>3003281
>>3003304

The Duality of Man
>>
>>3003394
I mean the options in MF RF cameras are limited. You have a couple cheaper ones and a couple expensive ones and that's it (unless you count folders or there are things I don't know of). I'm totally cool with having just a 35mm or 28mm equivalent.
>>
>>3003429
I've owned or worked with shooters who had all the cameras mentioned above. I owned a Hasselblad and a GW670III for two years. Worst equipment sale I ever made. Wish I had it. But I would say get the 690III, there are more of them and its the same amount of film per roll, so no reason not to get the extra 20mm instead of bigger frame spacing. The loudness is the counter, you can disable it.

Mamiya 7 couldn't focus as close and the rangefinder always went out of alignment.

Also consider the Fuji GS645s, just sold that camera, it was also amazing as a travel camera.
>>
>>3003562
6x7 and 6x9 are the same shots per roll? Forwhatpvrpose.jpg Might as well shoot 6x9 for the big neg and 3:2.

I know about the 645 RFs, but I'm not so keen on having to shoot everything holding the camera sideways for landscape orientation.
>>
To anyone who has owned one - would you ever shoot on the street with this? I can see how it's a great landscape camera, but how would this do walking around a city with? Do you think you'd attract too much unwanted attention?

Thanks everyone for the input so far
>>
File: DSC00011.jpg (403KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00011.jpg
403KB, 667x1000px
>>3003206
I own an S2A; it's a fucking heavy son of a bitch and the shutter is so loud it could set off car alarms.
Gorgeous camera and the lens is nice, but I'd much rather get an SQ since it's lighter, has more abundant accessories, and is more modern.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
Horizontal Resolution720 dpi
Vertical Resolution720 dpi
Image Created2016:04:03 18:34:45
>>
File: R0210097.jpg (164KB, 1102x800px) Image search: [Google]
R0210097.jpg
164KB, 1102x800px
>>3003206
>bronica s2? They seem compact and light
kek
They are sexy as fuck, but in all seriousness, buy a newer, leaf shutter camera. They have some serious gravity, and the shutter still manages to throw the whole camera around.

The Fujis are based cameras. They are the best handling large negative cameras. They're not even *that* big, if you're not a manlet. If you want to shoot events with one, buy two and get an assistant, they eat film. Get a newer model with push-buttons to load, if the extra $50 over the identical-everything-else older models ain't a thing to you.
Lenses are practically flawless, my only complaint would be the 5-bladed aperture.

Equipment MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
Camera ModelGR
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)28 mm
Image Created2015:10:21 10:59:29
Exposure Time1/40 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness3 EV
Exposure Bias1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.30 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1102
Image Height800
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3003625
Outside of a Mamiya 6/7 or some folder I don't think there's much in the MF world that would be significantly less conspicuous.

That said, it's not really much bigger than a FF DSLR (wider, but less thick). Just carrying it at the end of a strap isn't gonna garner you any more attention than any other typical camera. More important than camera size is how you act and carry yourself with the camera either way.
>>
File: 003_fuji645.jpg (146KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
003_fuji645.jpg
146KB, 550x367px
>>3003625
>>3003665
The GS and GA645 are probably the smallest you can get while still retaining a lot of modern features.

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern895
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2013:03:12 11:28:02
Exposure Time3 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length0.00 mm
Comment(c)luis triguez
Image Width550
Image Height367
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Gain ControlNone
ContrastSoft
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
File: DSC_0138.jpg (290KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0138.jpg
290KB, 900x1200px
>>3003206
>what do you think about a bronica s2? They seem compact and light enough to carry around
Ha ha nice one. This is an SQ-A, the S2 is a little bigger. I don't mind carrying it around for hiking but it's a big heavy brick and it's not exactly an everyday-carry sort of camera for casually walking around.

Equipment MakeSony
Camera ModelD6503
Camera Software17.1.2.A.0.314_9_f300
Image Created2016:09:18 14:23:54
Exposure Time1/64 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating50
Exposure Bias1 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.90 mm
Image Width900
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>3003574
yeah, no idea why, but it does make the 67 way harder to find, because who the fuck would buy that? They were designed as the camera for tour bus photographers in Japan. Basically, tour bus pulls up, all the old people wobble out, pose for a group pic, usually in front of the bus not even whatever attraction they're going to see, the photographer shoots the picture, runs to the darkroom nearby somewhere, and has the prints done when the old glassbone people are mounted back up in the bus. It also allows for the use of 120 half rolls, which were only like four or six frames, so you could just run one half roll per group. Also why it has a roll counter on it, so they could keep track of how many rolls they ran a year for tax reasons probably. Asian tourism, especially Japanese, are weird as fuck. When I went to the grand canyon, the buses would roll right up as close as possible, all the people would run out, take a bunch of pictures in literally every direction, and get back on the bus, which was idling the whole time. In South Africa last year, I was in Bo Kap and it was a bit suspect, and then this massive bus pulls up and all these old Chinese ladies jump out like a mafia fuckin hit squad and spray the neighborhood with their cameras. Motor drive on the Hueyan iphone copy, just shooting everything, shooting the people standing around, the ground, like they were making a goddamn 3d mo cap render. I just stayed near them and the sketchies just rolled out. Hilarious.
>>
>>3003785
Same thing at east asian funerals, weddings, and so forth. Buggers don't do anything unless it's being photographed; otherwise it didn't happen.

Glad to see some cultures embracing photography to this degree. Kinda mad to see it's all supremely banal.
>>
>>3003574
I did not realise this either, was going to go for a pentax 67 or fuji gw670 but now? fuck that, 6x9..
only problem is whether the fuji gw690 ii or iii, the ii looks nicer but apparently the coating on the lens of the iii as well as a supposedly clearer focusing prism makes it worth the extra $100~
>>
File: fd.jpg (83KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
fd.jpg
83KB, 1500x1500px
>>3003574
>>3003562
>>3003785
>>3003853
You guys are dumb.
>>
>>3003856
so you get two more shots per roll with 6x7.. then it's a tradeoff between those 2 extra images or the extra 2cm per image
>>
>>3003860

also 6x7 prints almost perfectly to 8x10
>>
>>3003863
seems much harder and more expensive to find the fuji gw670 over the 690 however
>>
>>3003856
This.

I love 6x7 for MF. I already got a ton of 35mm & digital cameras to shoot 3:2 with.

>>3003774
How's the SQ-A weight with the wlf and no grip? I'm kind of tempted to hunt one down when I go to Japan.
>>
File: DSC_0095.jpg (292KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0095.jpg
292KB, 900x1200px
>>3004022
Stripping it down to just the WLF makes it a lot more manageable but it's still a pretty big brick.

Equipment MakeSony
Camera ModelD6503
Camera Software17.1.2.A.0.314_9_f300
Image Created2016:06:18 13:07:06
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/2.0
ISO Speed Rating50
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceUnknown
Focal Length4.90 mm
Image Width900
Image Height1200
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
I bought a GW690ii recently and I don't regret it yet.
The lens does indeed seem to be very sharp and 6x9 negatives are gorgeous, not to mention the SLIDES.
The fixed lens isn't much of a problem since I'd be hovering around 90 mm. all the time anyway, but I think the long exposure mode could have been better.
It's T-mode; shutter stays open from you hit the shutter button and until you do any one of several other things; crank the winding lever, change the shutter time dial or (I think) the aperture dial. Can't close the shutter again with either of the two shutter buttons, which just seems strange to me. And I generally prefer B-mode anyhow.
But it's a very nice camera which gives good quality images and a fairly cheap way of getting into MF.

It's bulky but not very heavy and I don't mind traveling with it.
>>
>>3004022
Get an ETRS, a Mamiya 645 (The old one), or a Yashica TLR if you're concerned about size.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (43KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
43KB, 800x535px
>>3004004
>>3003863
>>3003860
>>3003856
There's also a GW680III
>>
>>3004311

Too plasticky
>>
>>3004311
3:4 really is the patrician's ratio, but I think I would need to own the camera well into the next century to realise the savings in film from getting one extra frame a roll over the 500% premium on the 680.
>>
File: CousinZen.jpg (178KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
CousinZen.jpg
178KB, 666x666px
>>3004022
SQ-As are hard to find here. Been trying to simply find an 80mm to replace mine with a dented filter ring. I've only seen 2 SQ-A setups in my 18 months of living here and visiting camera stores relatively frequently. They are quite common on yahoo auctions though and a good looking setup goes for about 25,000-30,000yen.

In terms of weight its not light...but I don't hesitate to throw it in my bag when I go hiking or out to photogenic places. Probably no heavier than a Canon body with L glass.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Horizontal Resolution111 dpi
Vertical Resolution111 dpi
Image Created2008:02:28 19:51:17
Image Width666
Image Height666
>>
>>3003165
>Is this camera easy to travel with at all or am I underestimating it?
underestimating!
the camera is huge
and it is noisy despite not having a mirror
it's great for landscape, too wide for portrait, too big/loud for street
>>
for travel and street the Makina 67 (or Makina 670) with it's Nikkor 80mm f2.8 lens
or the Makina 67w with it's Nikkor 55mm f4.5 lens
are outstanding
they fold flatter than an old polaroid camera
and have quiet shutters
the lens is superbe
the ergonomics for street shooting is very good
the camera was originally designed as a press camera

the drawback is COST, they're relatively rare
and when unfolded more fragile than the Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7 cameras
the wiring for the lightmeter is prone to fail and is expensive to fix
>>
>>3004671
They cost about the same as a Mamiya 7 don't they? In Japan Ive seen a few with the 80mm in the 160,000yen ($1400USD) ballpark
>>
>>3004686
crikey, I saw them for US$800 just a few years ago

forgot to mention, the makina eye piece is threaded, compatible with nikon corrective lenses

i've never heard of problems with the copal shutter

the rangefinder can get knocked out of alignment with rough use but can be fixed

if the built-in lightmeter isn't working it isn't worth the labor to fix it, just slip on a new black voigtlander meter in the hotshoe

---

trivia: besides the Makina 67, Nikon also made interchangeable medium format lenses for the Bronica S/S2/EC 6x6 cameras

---

the mamiya 7 has some fabulous lenses, but its a larger camera, and if I were using the 43mm or 210mm lens I'd want the RB67 for parallex, focusing, etc...
>>
>>3004330
The Mamiya 6 and 7 are way more plasticy. The Fujis are very high quality plastic. It does not feel like plastic in my hands, more like some carbon/plastic composite.
>>
>>3004247
I already have a Yashica D, but I don't like shooting it too much.

Size isn't a concern (I use the Pentax 6x7 after all) but a consideration.

>>3004543
Really? That's interesting, and kind of unfortunate. That price sounds about what I expected though and is why I'm most interested in the Bronica - I'd like to try a different camera than the Yashica I have for 6x6, but I don't want to spend Hasselblad money just to try if I like it.
>>
One of my dream cameras that I won't be getting anytime soon since I already have a ga645zi which I am deeply in love with. That + a shoe meter would become the ultimate landscape and occasional ultra snapshit setup for me.
>>
Fuji 6x9? Yeah i've used one before, its a fucking beast ! Very underrated camera.

You really need an excellent scanner to get the maximum out of it.

Also: get the 65mm version - not the 90mm, you'll get a lot more use out of it.
>>
>>3004746
I never worried about breaking my 6. It weighs about the same as a Bronica SQ-A or Hasselblad. Sturdy feeling camera with the same feeling of finish as an RB.
>>
File: DSC03095.jpg (299KB, 737x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03095.jpg
299KB, 737x1000px
>>3004651
>not travelling with 2 of them
>and 3 Nikon bodies
>not stopping to drink wine, reload, and take gearfag shots whilst out hiking

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelILCE-7
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)0 mm
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Created2017:01:20 08:37:20
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness-4.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Light SourceDaylight
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width737
Image Height1000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>3005996
>getting grass and dirt and shit inside the film chamber of your camera just to waste a frame of film on bragging about your cameras to a burmese comic book enthusiast subreddit
>>
???
Are you afraid of loading your cameras outside, anon?
I don't have that illness, so it's fine for me.
>waste a frame of film
You're poor too? aww
>>
File: 17079700920_d13ab70f57_b.jpg (171KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
17079700920_d13ab70f57_b.jpg
171KB, 800x800px
>>3006003
Da fuq are you on about?
>>
>>3003228
I second this, I've heard so many great things about the 67 I'd take it over the Texas Leica any day
>>
>>3006644
And I've heard nothing but that titanic shutter and mirror flapping about. To this day I have tinnitus, and my vision is blurred from shutter shock.
>>
>>3006655
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the mirror slap tests they did on bikini atoll. devastating
>>
File: zToky306b.jpg (277KB, 800x603px) Image search: [Google]
zToky306b.jpg
277KB, 800x603px
The Fuji MF rangefinders are really something special. Out of all the film gear I've ever owned, including a Leica M6 with Zeiss glass, the GS645s is one of two cameras I've never been able to bring myself to sell. I've taken my best pictures with this camera. They're all great, so pick whichever film format you like best and just go for it.

Here are some pictures I've shot with it if you're interested:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&safe_search=1&tags=gs645s&user_id=23530296%40N04&view_all=1

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows
Image Width6967
Image Height5248
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution3200 dpi
Vertical Resolution3200 dpi
Image Created2012:12:28 17:16:03
Image Width800
Image Height603
>>
>>3008520
>https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&safe_search=1&tags=gs645s&user_id=23530296%40N04&view_all=1

digging the photos. good shit OP
>>
>>3008520
hey shuttermaki, are you going back to asia any time soon? your hk pictures were great
>>
>>3011578
>>3011604
Thanks guys. Honestly I want to go back more than anything, I was pretty close to booking a flight the other day. It'll happen soon I'm thinking. Hard to believe it's been 5 years.
>>
>>3011652
hey sm, looked at your flickr, didnt find the old spain sigma merrill pics, do you have them somewhere else? i liked them a lot.
>>
File: ySDIM0652b.jpg (446KB, 1200x880px) Image search: [Google]
ySDIM0652b.jpg
446KB, 1200x880px
>>3011654
You just reminded me that I've been telling myself for almost 4 years now that one of these days I'm going to get around to posting them on my travel blog. Truth be told, I haven't posted them because I'm not really all that happy with them.

I have the pics uploaded and a rough draft done. I'll go check how far along I got and see if I can't get that finished up tonight. Should be pretty close to done, just haven't hit the post button.

Equipment MakeSIGMA
Camera ModelSIGMA DP2 Merrill
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)45 mm
Image Width4704
Image Height3136
Pixel CompositionRGB
Horizontal Resolution180 dpi
Vertical Resolution180 dpi
Image Created2013:03:20 17:57:17
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias-0.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length30.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height880
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Unique Image ID303034303630363630BB354F33364133
>>
>>3008520
how is the gs645s?
was thinking about getting it but seems a little fragile with the lens bar and all.. also thinking if going MF you may as well go 6x7 but the fuji 6x7's aren't cheap and the 6x9's are maybe too big/chew up film.
>>
>>3011654
>>3011660
Alright my man, it's up. Thanks for motivating me to finally get it done.

http://www.photosomnia.com/

>>3011753
It's awesome, and very durable. I'm not gentle with my cameras and this thing has held up through my abuse. Again, which MF film format you prefer is a matter of personal preference, but if you want a 645 camera, especially a small, lightweight one to travel with, look no further.
>>
>>3003228
i've owned both
the fuji is a lot lighter and smaller so i like it more
the 67 is a better choice if you want to use other focal lengths though
>>
>>3011758
how is it to manually focus?
also I remember reading you can do long exposures with it but it's quite difficult?
post some more shots from it if you can
>>
File: zHong278.jpg (304KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
zHong278.jpg
304KB, 800x591px
>>3011762
It's insanely easy to focus. The focus ring has almost no resistance and a very short throw, you can flick it from MFD to infinity in less than a 1/4 turn. And if you've ever used a rangefinder, it uses a standard split-focus screen, which is great and reasonably well-lit.

To be honest though, and you can probably gather this by looking at the pictures I've taken with it, I don't really concern myself with focusing this camera all that often. Most of my work with this guy has been on a tripod at night or handheld during day/dusk with 400 speed film, so it basically lives at f/8-11 with the focus set to hyperfocal distance. It's not a camera for thin DOF or handheld night shots. I usually pair this camera up with my Minolta SLR and 50 f/1.2 when traveling for that very reason.

Also, yes, utilizing manual shutter control for long exposures on this camera is an exercise in frustration. At least until you get used to it. It requires you to have some sort of tiny, thin, rigid object, like a house/car key, with which to hit the super annoying recessed button on the side of lens. Since there is no 'bulb' setting on the shutter dial, anything longer than 1 second and you have to trip the shutter manually using this button, and then close it with the normal shutter release button.

As far as posting more pictures from the camera beyond what I have on flickr, my travel blog Photosomnia I linked above has a bunch more, although they're organized by location, not camera, so you'll have to sift through mostly Minolta SLR shots to find them. I almost never crop my shots though, so you should be able to tell which are which by the aspect ratio (3:4 as opposed to 2:3). All my posts from Asia, including Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, and both of the Japan posts will have pictures from this camera on there. I didn't really use it much in SEA though.

Image Width6968
Image Height5239
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2012:10:24 20:39:48
Image Width800
Image Height591
>>
Should I get the GSW690 or GW690?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (489KB, 1100x721px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
489KB, 1100x721px
>>3011952
>Also, yes, utilizing manual shutter control for long exposures on this camera is an exercise in frustration. At least until you get used to it. It requires you to have some sort of tiny, thin, rigid object, like a house/car key, with which to hit the super annoying recessed button on the side of lens. Since there is no 'bulb' setting on the shutter dial, anything longer than 1 second and you have to trip the shutter manually using this button, and then close it with the normal shutter release button.

Or you could just throw the lens cap on and wind/cock the shutter. Not had any issues doing this, even with short times like 4 seconds.

If you don't put on the lens cap before winding, streaking will shop up in the highlights. This is because the film winds a tiny bit before the shutter closes.

I often wonder why Fuji did not use B instead of T.

>>3012008
I have both. I use the GSW mostly for landscapes and the GW for everything else (which isn't much). I prefer the GSW.

GW = ~45mm in 35mm
GSW = ~28mm in 35mm (is also very sharp)

Horizontal Resolution300 dpcm
Vertical Resolution300 dpcm
>>
File: zHong227b.jpg (220KB, 561x800px) Image search: [Google]
zHong227b.jpg
220KB, 561x800px
>>3012019
I'm not sure we're talking about the same camera. I'm referring to the GS645S. Closing the shutter isn't the issue as you can just do that with the main shutter button or a manual release cable attached to it. It's opening the shutter that's the issue. There's no separate 'T' setting on the shutter speed dial, 'T' mode can be activated at any selected shutter speed and is only activated when pressing the recessed button on the side of the lens. Winding the film also will eventually close the shutter, but only after it has advanced nearly an entire frame, but again this is unnecessary as you can close the shutter by pressing the shutter button.

Image Width6960
Image Height5262
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2012:10:24 20:39:36
Image Width561
Image Height800
>>
>>3012019

Which one would be better for close ups?
>>
>>3012039
>I'm referring to the GS645S.
Oh, shit. Sorry. I only hovered your >> and assumed it was a 690III, because "Texas leica" thread.

>GS645S
Ah, yes. I used to have the "Wide" version. I agree with you there on the T setting.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (797KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
797KB, 1100x733px
>>3012047
The GW. It has incredibly accurate parallax correction. That is mainly what I've used mine for, although they're both shit really for it, because minimum focus distance is 1m on both.

The GX680 (I, II, or III) is superior for close-ups. However, it is very big and heavy. The GWs are not.

>>
File: untitled-2.jpg (874KB, 1100x791px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-2.jpg
874KB, 1100x791px
>>3012053
GX680 macro. Could even have gotten a little bit closer. This is with the regular 60mm focusing rails. There are 80mm extended rails available.

>>
>>3012053
>>3012055
I think the processing on both of these is a bit heavy handed.
Too much contrast, too much sharpening.
Also a little cooked on the exposure in the second one.
>>
>>3003196
Will piggyback on this and say the RB/RZ system is beautiful!
If you hunt around you can get an RZ for a great price. I built mine a la carte from ebay for 450.. mint 110 sekor z, 120 and 220 back, waist level finder.
lugging it on hikes for landscape kinda sucks but it's a super cost effective and durable system.
>>
>>3012055
>>3012053

I'm really gravitating towards a gx680iii, I've researched them for a while and now I'm seeing to find one for a good price. How much would you pay for for one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172503169087
Is this a good deal?
>>
>>3012132
>Also a little cooked on the exposure in the second one.
I agree, but It's Velvia 100. When focusing this close, you have to compensate for bellows extension. Getting that right is not easy.
>>
>>3012159
Not more than that. It's nice that it includes the AA battery pack. That alone goes for $130.

I paid $900 for body + 100mm + 2 film backs
>>
>>3012311
Bellows factors aren't marked on the side, like on the memeya?
>>
File: SCANNN_20161027_0003.jpg (851KB, 2560x1679px) Image search: [Google]
SCANNN_20161027_0003.jpg
851KB, 2560x1679px
I've got one and it has been the one I load for cross country trips as opposed to dragging out the rb67 or 645. It's extremely streetable.

Total snapshit included so you can look at the sharpness of the lens. This is the earliest one- I think it's just called a Fuji 6x9?

Exposure Time0 sec
F-Numberf/0.0
ISO Speed Rating0
Focal Length0.00 mm
Image Width2560
Image Height1679
>>
>>3012831

Are these lead paint chips or some kind of grey dorritos? Mallard feathers?
>>
>>3012846
>what is dried mud
>>
>>3012847

The most analogue of all art mediums
>>
If I'm only going to be printing at 18"~ x 20"~ if 6x4.5 enough? I'm thinking 6x7/6x9 would be overkill
>>
File: 7065071705_e6c99c66e0_b.jpg (197KB, 602x800px) Image search: [Google]
7065071705_e6c99c66e0_b.jpg
197KB, 602x800px
>>3008520
I was going through your snaps and noticed this pic, I'm pretty sure I stayed in an Airbnb in that exact building the photo was taken from, if not one behind it.
>>
File: GX680bellows.png (40KB, 904x804px) Image search: [Google]
GX680bellows.png
40KB, 904x804px
>>3012821
Sadly no, but I found a handy guide here:

http://www.dannyburk.com/fuji_bellows_extension.htm
>>
>>3012847
Correcto, outside of Moab Utah.
>>
File: sToky430.jpg (1MB, 929x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sToky430.jpg
1MB, 929x1200px
>>3012883
Oh cool. I wasn't staying there, just climbing random fire escapes and whatnot to get on roofs.

I should really go through all my old pics from that trip and re-save higher res images for the web. 800px just doesn't do them justice this day in age.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Image Width6998
Image Height5262
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2017:01:31 19:45:10
Image Width929
Image Height1200
>>
>>3013209
how difficult was it to climb fire escapes there? I've been to Tokyo but never did.. I don't actually do it in my own city but I think in Tokyo it'd be a bit easier to get away with.
>>
>>3003108
I have a GSW
Pros -

-light for size
-reliable
-great image quality
- same ratio as 35mm
-can stack 2 77mm filters on it with no vignetting
- mechanical
-slides look amazing on a light box
-reasonably affordable

Cons

- rangefinder patch is difficult to use compared to all other rangefinders i have used
-8 shots per roll ( this can be a pro sometimes too )
-pretty slow lens limits handholding
- no normal bulb mode
- takes up a lot of room in a bag
>>
File: zToky313.jpg (250KB, 800x594px) Image search: [Google]
zToky313.jpg
250KB, 800x594px
>>3013369
super easy. most places they weren't locked, even at night and in busy sections like shinjuki and shibuya. people there are super polite and non-confrontational so if you even happen to see anyone just smile, nod, wave, and dont cause trouble or be loud and nobody will do anything.

and i guess i shouldnt call them fire escapes as most of them seemed like the main means of entrance to the upper floors. more like 'external staircases'. an american equivalent would be like what you'd find at a motel, only 6+ stories instead of 2.

Image Width6967
Image Height5248
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2012:11:27 17:52:03
Image Width800
Image Height594
>>
>>3013602
reeee thats so very aesthetic.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.