[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pentax K1000 light meter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 3641742012_122670f501 (1).jpg (91KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
3641742012_122670f501 (1).jpg
91KB, 500x414px
So I bought a Pentax K1000 off of ebay for $55 with the 50mm lens included. The camera is in awesome condition, looks beautiful, everything works except for the light meter. It's always stuck in the middle.
I installed a new battery in it, still wasn't working.
I even tried wiping the battery contact thing with my shirt but it didn't do anything.
Has anyone had any experience with getting the light meter to work?
I tried the test thing where you put the camera in Bulb mode ASA 100 and the meter was still in the middle.
Seller refunded my money and surprisingly just said I could keep the camera as well.
>>
>>3003104
Just use sunny 16 if you're outside or use your smartphone as a meter with the proper app. A meter isn't a big deal, half of my cameras doesn't have one and the other half are without batteries anyways.

Metering light is a meme people were fine without a meter until the end of the 60's.
>>
>>3003104
the cable that connect the light meter to the battery must be fucked up because a sulfated battery.take the bottom off and remove the battery cradle, there should be a black cable attached to it.if the cable is long enough you might be able to fix it, if not you need to disassemble the camera and recable the thing....or just don't use the light meter.
>>
>>3003109
I could use my t3i or iPhone as a light meter, which I will probably have to do, but I was really hoping I could rely on the camera itself. unfortunately, I think the problem is what >>3003172 is talking about.
The light meter needle is stuck in the very middle, but it DOES move veryyyyy slightly when I change my exposure settings, but when I say very slightly, I mean it only moves up or down like 5 degrees.
>>
>>3003172
I'm also scared to dismantle the camera because I wouldn't want to fuck it up any further.
>>
i've seen that it's common for the wire to become disconnected from the battery compartment, and just needs to be soldered back on.
>>
Those light meters aren't going to work very well anyway. They're too old.

The old meters use an electro chemical process that degrades over time. Even if you do get it 'fixed' e.g. on a circuit level it will be inaccurate because of the degradation.
>>
Whoever sold it to you kicks ass if they let you keep the camera. Don't take it apart, just use your phone.
>>
>>3003211
If you're afraid of repair it why do you even create a thread for?

>>3004257
This, those meters aren't good anyways. Your iphone will meter it way better.
>>
Here, OP

Good luck repairing it.

https://www4.uwm.edu/psoa_er/manuals/cameras/K1000.pdf
>>
>>3004257
>>3004386
That's bullshit. CdS meters are quite accurate and don't degrade over time. They may need to be recalibrated to work with modern batteries though, since many were designed to work with mercury batteries that are no longer available. Any decent camera repair shop can do that for minimal cost.

The Pentax K1000 isn't exactly "old" as far as cameras go. They were made well into the late 90s. The idea that they have bad meters probably comes from idiot millenials who don't understand how to use them and get mad when they don't work exactly like a modern computerized color matrix meter.
>>
>>3004452
Yep, they sure were top acurate back in the 80's.

>what is matrix metering
>what is ruining slides because of bad metering
>>
>>3004456
>>what is matrix metering
A complete meme that just underexposes to protect highlights on slides, and relies on the exposure latitude of modern colour neg films to save shadows.

>>what is ruining slides because of bad metering
You are. Your bad metering ruins your slides.
>>
>>3003104
bring it to a camera shop. one of those old man ones with 50 35mm cameras in the front.

hell take it apart and either fix it if its easy or tell you whats wrong for less than 20 i would say.

if not an old man camera shop would probably have a cold shoe lightmeter.

dont listen to theses cucks about using a phone. very awkward to use a phone unless your doing landscape.
>>
>>3003109
>sunny 16
>tfw when you life in europe and dont get enough sun and its sunny 8 for you
>>
>>3004257
>>3004452
i agree i have soviet cams from the 50s with perfectly working light meters.

the ones that degrade are the ones that only use a passive meter.
>>
>>3004801

You do have Sunni 72, though.
>>
>>3004801
I was in europe last week I was shooting FP4 and neopan most of the time at f5.6 and f8 but when I went to the Alps I was shooting at f16-f22 because of the snow.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.