[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fungus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Hello guys, I purchased online this Carl Zeiss Distagon 60 f/3.5 C for $290
When I received it I checked the lenses and BAM, shit tons of fungus, we could fill a wood with them, all in the rear lens group.
By the way, the seller assured me that the lens was ok so I could get a total refound sending back the item.
According to your opinion, should I ask for a partial refund (how much??) and try to clean it with hydrogen peroxide (130) and bleach (28%) or I should give up on it?
>>
>>3001644
Never hurts to try if the rear lens group is easily accessible. You could also try leaving it in direct sunlight for a few hours. Fungus isn't a fan of UV light. I'd try to get all of my money back honestly, if there was no indication whatsoever of the condition that's pretty shitty of them to do, especially since this isn't a single colony. I wouldn't take anything less than half.
>>
>>3001650
I'd ask a $190 refund, otherwise I'll send it back.

As far as I know I think that Hasselblad Distagon's rear lens group is kind of difficoult to reach. And also I know that UV light is only useful to kill the colonies but not to eliminate their presence.
>>
>>3001653
Right, if you can't separate the group then all UV will do is stop it from getting worse.
I have a 120mm Zeiss Planar that has pretty significant hazing on the front element but unfortunately it's cemented to another element so I can't get in between them to clean it. From what I can tell it doesn't have too much of an impact on image quality luckily but it sure doesn't look nice.

Best of luck to you, I know how frustrating it is to have such a nice lens seemingly compromised because of the conditions it was stored in.
>>
>>3001665
Yep, It's tremendous. It was a huge disappointment, it came in perfect cosmetic contitions, it even has its original rear and front caps. But when I looked at the lenses...

By the way, I'll try to manage to solve the whole situation, it really bothers me to have a ruined lens, that fungus infection will surely affect the quality of the negatives. I always try to buy perfect stuff.
>>
>>3001665
How can the fungus grow in the glue in between two elements wtf you saying
>>
>>3001720
They can, the glue is the yummiest part of the lens.
>>
>>3001720
Not fungus, I have hazing in between the elements in the front group. Although I know that fungus really likes to eat the glue that's used to bond the glass.
I was just trying to tell OP that I am dealing with another situation somewhat similar to his with having a lens that seems totally inaccessible to clean
>>
I hate writing on the phone. Someone else post the story about ayya and the fungus, please
>>
>>3002045
Cemented lens elements are stuck together with Canada Balsam. Very new lenses are some synthetic that's cured with UV light, and not canada balsam. But actual canada balsam is the purified sap from a tree.
So yes, sooner or later it's possible that shit will begin to grow into the incredibly thin layer of organic cement. Or it will 'separate', which is usually also caused by growth, but doesn't generally look like fungus.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.