[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one go about selling their pictures? I am looking into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: olympicsunset_01straight.jpg (117KB, 900x596px) Image search: [Google]
olympicsunset_01straight.jpg
117KB, 900x596px
How does one go about selling their pictures? I am looking into selling framed prints or posters but I really have no idea where to start. Has anyone on /p/ have any experience with either selling online or at an arts festival, flea market or gallery? Any tips?
>>
I've had good luck with "fine art america" and society 6.
>>
>>3000474
Any idea on the royalties on each of these sites?
>>
>>3000453
>How does one go about selling their pictures?
bruh, you probably don't have the talent to sell photos.

don't be mad, not everybody can be talented.
>>
Step one: stop calling them pictures
>>
Lots of info here...

>>2975076
>>
>>3000572
>>3000584
Thanks for your input basement dwellers.
>>3000591
404'd
>>
>>3000453
I've done both galleries and flea markets. And my experience is that the best place is neither. If you can find a good weekend art show, that works best. However it depends on what your photography is like and how it's priced.

I used to show at a gallery in Texas, I sold a few pieces there, but the gallery took a percentage of each sale which I didnt really like, especially because the sales were so infrequent. Another downfall of the gallery is that you aren't physically there to try to sell the photos. One strength about photography vs some other forms of art is that there is a story behind each photo (especially with landscapes) and I think people like to hear the stories and feel like they're buying part of the adventure.

Flea markets are okay, because you're actually there to tell people about your images and you can try to sell them. the only downside is that a lot of the people there are just looking for cheap trinkets.

however, if you can get into an arts festival, that's the best. You already know the people walking around the arts festival are actually there to look at art, and more likely to buy.

Generally the way I sell my stuff is printed on metal, for a few reasons.

1. the buyer doesnt need a frame if they dont want it. Frames are very expensive, especially if they want something non-standard. If you explain that to them, that theyre actually saving money by buying it, they tend to like that.

2. It's durable. Scratch resistant, water proof, and it lasts longer than a standard print

And in my opinion the metal prints look good too. Sharp images, good color, etc.

When you're displaying your images its always a good idea to print one thats really big (or as big as you would want to print it) to show people what it will look like if they get a big print, because I assume you would also offer custom sized prints. and obviously, you should have a good mixture of image sizes and prices to get people buying at every price point.
>>
>>3002107
Wow there are actual tripfags in this fucking deserted board?
>>
>>3002111
Thats the only place a trip makes any sense. Why would you have a trip on /b/?
>>
>>3002111
>shocked at trips on /p/
>deserted board
you missed >>>/b/
close tho, you just flipped the b to a p
>>
>>3002107
how well does limited edition numbered prints work? And increasing the price for each print sold?
>>
>>3002133
limited editions for anything, photographs included, usually only matter to people when lots of other people want it (unless you're only selling one print). So if you're not famous, then no one really cares a whole lot if it's limited edition or not.
>>
>>3002133
Ehh, I don't know. If you're in a gallery you NEED limited edition. The only tough thing is deciding what that number of editions will be, then sticking with it. I'd say just put your initial prints at like 40-50 editions, and see if you ever sell out of those or how fast they sell.

I've gone into Peter Lik Galleries before acting like I wanted to buy a print, and got to sit down and look at their entire pricing guide and what percentages they increased by. Id say first thing to worry about is to figure out how well your prints sell at different price points.

Ive heard (never tried it) that you'll actually sell more prints if you price them absurdly high, because the people that think they are art connoisseurs think they're getting better art simply because the price is higher.

TL;DR, yes have limited editions, yes raise the price. But you need to figure out what works for you
>>
>>3002136
That is true, however you have to look to the future. If a small gallery wants to hang his prints, he might be required to have a limited edition. So if he sold prints without a limit, they might not let him in. And its not like prints are going to be flying off the shelves. So if he limits to like 50, he will definitely have prints left for a while
>>
>>3002140
>Spice

who the fuck are you.
>>
>>3002144
>knows his name
>asks who he is
>>
>>3002144
I was fucking around with sugar a few months back, and just decided to keep it.

>Anonymous

who the fuck are you??
>>
>>3002162
Well considering you're the opposite of Shug, you must take excellent photos then
>>
>>3002390
Hah, this.
>>
File: 1482469274238.jpg (162KB, 1119x1383px) Image search: [Google]
1482469274238.jpg
162KB, 1119x1383px
>>3000453
>selling online
hard to do, pretty much every photo site ever is doing this and the market is pretty hilariously flooded. You will competing on a world market. If you're a social media whore this might be a decent route.

>arts festival
I'm assuming you mean one of those minor weekend craft and arts fairs. These are viable, there's a few people here that do it quite well. http://www.alexburkephoto.com/ this guy does it and does it well. His work is solid, printed and presented excellently, and his booth excellent. This route is a lot of work but can be a living. There's a definite price cap for this route.

>gallery
If you can get into the right market and gallery you can do hilariously well. More likely you'll be in a hard market or straight up awful market without a good enough gallery (or work) to make this worth your time. One huge advantage of this route is if you get in a good gallery you don't not have to personally sell work or build a client base. You're relying on the gallery to do this and this is why they take a percentage. Galleries can take anywhere from 30-70% these days with 40% being the magic number. Be wary of galleries taking more or less. Also avoid galleries that have a pay to play model. I've been approached by a few of those but everything I've read and other artists I've talked to have convinced me away. They generally still take a percent and so it just isn't worth it. If you gallery route don't expect to make money for a long time. You're there because showing work is important to you, not making money.

>>3002107
>metal prints
seconding this for art festivals. You should still have some prints out but metal prints these work well. They also work well at low end galleries and those awful 30 artist group shows. Metal prints are also very look work and effort not only for the buyer but you as well.
>>
>>3002133
The idea is to increase worth through artificial scarcity. Be wary of large editions. By reducing the number that will ever be made you raise the value of print. Realistically unless you hit it big you won't ever sell out of even small editions. It is acceptable to have editions in a couple of sizes. Like I run 20x30s in sets of 5, 24x36 in sets of 5, and 40x60s in sets of 3. The power of doing editions was somewhat permanently destroyed by the king of ass hats Thomas Kinkade with his editions of 40,000.
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (487KB, 668x1000px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
487KB, 668x1000px
>>3002390
>>3002413
Im not going to say one way or the other. My photos seem to not be the ideal images for /p/. Pic related.

>>3002448
>seconding this for art festivals. You should still have some prints out but metal prints these work well. They also work well at low end galleries and those awful 30 artist group shows. Metal prints are also very look work and effort not only for the buyer but you as well.

This exactly. It's fucking easy to print it. Im not trying to push bay photo, but thats just the printer I go through. Never had any issues with them and sometimes they have 25% off sales on their prints. But yeah, its just good to hang on the wall.

When I do the photo shows, I'll usually bring a tablet with my portfolio and a physical portfolio of some of my best prints so people can see certain images in person.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width955
Image Height1430
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2017:01:14 20:22:10
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width668
Image Height1000
>>
>doing a limited edition run
>of an endlessly reproducible medium

Lmao
>>
>>3000453
I avoid selling online unless it's through a gallery. Most gallery directors have much more professional experience dealing with potential clients and can command higher prices and more consistent sales than you'll probably be able to on your own through Etsy or whatever. You'll end up making more even with their 40% cut.

Art fairs suck. If you're in a big one, you'll probably at least damage one or two prints. The weather is inconsistent, and the majority of the crowd are really just looking for clothing, jewelry, crafts, decoration, and other crap to put in their home. If all you shoot are photos of a popular theme (sports, cars, popular spots in nature that the locals are familiar with) and generally kitschy stuff, you might do well. But it's a risk. Presentation is everything. The good fairs charge $200-$1000 just for a spot to show your work, then you have to invest in a proper tent, lighting, grids, etc. I've made far more profit in gallery than I ever have in an art fair.

As far as galleries go, find a gallery that represents artists of a similar style to your work. There are many reasons for this. One is that they have connections and return collectors who come to that gallery for more work under a similar vein. No serious photography collector is going to go to a gallery that sells primarily tourist paintings. When you find a gallery that you feel represents your work, get in contact with the gallery director. Ask questions, such as what type of work they're looking for and what their process for a portfolio review looks like. It kind of unfolds naturally from there. If I can do it, anyone can.
>>
>>3002495
any limited run of any medium is endlessly reproducible, you idiot. that's why its reproducible
>>
>>3002449
what are your prices?
>>
>>3002796

And it's a total farce unless you're an artist of note. ;)
>>
>>3003067
No, what Im saying is that there are a lot of mediums that use limited runs: Photography, paintings, sculpture. And they can all be reproduced endlessly.

There will always be casts for sculpture, scans of paintings, and files/film for photography. Thats just how it is
>>
>>3003075

And I'm saying that it's a total farce unless you're an artist of note. ;)

No one gives a fuck if John Q. Bumpkin from whereever the fuck only prints 50 copies of his sad little snapshit that he and his friends thought was good. Decreasing the quantity doesn't correlate with increasing the value. Who cares if it's a limited run if you only sell 3 out of the 50? Plus, what guarantee do you offer that you won't turn around and sell more copies later on if you do actually become famous (you won't, no one will, no one gives a fuck about art photography anymore)? Your word? Another layer of comedy to this fantastic farce you've constructed!

Do something bold like delete the file or destroy the negative if you sell a photo. That might be interesting. Everything else is just the rote, pained ministrations of a lost craftsman.
>>
>>3003249
Fuck off isi
Reee
>>
>>3003249
Christ you must live a sad fucking life
>>
>>3003764

Based on what?
>>
>>3003249
>the rote, pained ministrations of a lost craftsman

It's shitposting Jim, but not as we know it.
>>
>>3003249
you are a negative nancy !
>>
>>3003779
You're a vapid cunt. We can only hope that you are at least a self-aware vapid cunt.
>>
>>3003249
lmao
>>
>>3003249
Don't worry, even if Kaz deleted the file or destroyed the negative, it wouldn't matter since his work is generic shit.
>>
>>3007220
>destroyed the negative
That faggot hasn't touched film has he?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.