[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Light meters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 3868381947_38f865e998.jpg (86KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
3868381947_38f865e998.jpg
86KB, 500x304px
Any of you guys own a spot meter? I'm looking to buy one. So I can do large format landscapes.

Also: why does the Pentax VI cost so much?
>>
how about you get a tiny camera like pentax Q
put a long lense on it and use it as a spot?

i do have a lightmeter but it's only pertinent for flash
>>
>>2995981
This, or just do like Alex and get an old MFT with kit zoom lens, cheap and versatile, you can meter for the subjects and the surroundings.
>>
I use a sekonic 558. Gives accurate decimal readings.
>>
>>2995980
"The modifications, on the other hand, involve physical changes to the meter. Here's what Zone VI Studios said they did in making the modifications: Installation of superior photo-electric cells; installation of a series of step-down baffles to eliminate flare; installation of a braod-spectrum (ultra-black) infrared absorbent coating to eliminate reflections; design and installation of four corrective filters, intended to match the meter's spectral response to the spectral response of the film." Thats why. But they've also been out of business a while so no new Z6 meters. Also remember you can't apply Zone stuff to color nearly as accurately, or in some opinions at all. I have the 758 from sekonic, but its bulky and I don't do zone so I don't really have a need for the spot meter. If I were to buy again, I'd get the 358 and the spot attachment for lighting cycs or whatever.
>>
Just a general question. Why do people use light meters even if they're using a camera with metering?

I've seen people using them in studios with DSLRs, can't you get a decent reading by firing one shot and looking at a histogram?
>>
>>2996112
>>2996112
If you're working with one light, maybe.
But for an experianced pro who knows lighting ratios and shit like that it's probably faster, and more accurate, to use the meter to check everything's where it should be when setting up, rather than a trial and error approach.
Also, your camera doesn't read incident light, only reflected.
Metering with incident light enables you to place tones more realistically.
>>
>>2996118
Ah that makes sense. How come loads of people who own Leicas use meters as well? Do they not have built in meters?
>>
>>2996137
why do people use leicas?
that kinda answers why people who use leicas use lightmeters
>>
>>2996137
many leicas don't have inbuilt. the ones that do have shitty, primitive meters.
ive got an m2 and just use a sekonic l308
>>
gossen digisix ii here.

Not a dedicated spot meter, but you can spot meter with it. It's like $80 and it gives me all of it
>>
>>2996137
>>2996139
leica m-d has only center-weighted metering
>>
I use a light meter app on my phone and comparing its readings to what I get on my camera it seems accurate. Or am I retarded?
>>
>>2996701
apps work for incident metering, but i am not aware of one that could do spot metering
>>
Pentax V1 spotmeter is the best. Sekonic good too.
>>
I have a sekonic 558 and it seems to work fairly well.
>>
>>2996732
It lets me zoom in pretty far to restrict what its looking at, would that simulate spot metering at least a little?
>>
>>2996735
Might get the Pentax digital spotmeter (the none VI one) is the modified one really worth it? Are there any ppl/shops that still modify them?
>>
>>2996137
Only the M5 and on have meters, and they're somewhat rudimentary.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.