[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the results from using a polarizer filter be achieved in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: polarizer.jpg (316KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
polarizer.jpg
316KB, 1920x1080px
Can the results from using a polarizer filter be achieved in post with color grading? I'm shooting Prores HQ 4K with a Blackmagic 4K, btw.
>>
You could darken the sky, and enrich your greens, but you won't be able to remove the reflections from foliage or other reflections like those from cars or lakes.

I've never used a CPL for video so I don't know what unique things you might bump into.
>>
No, now fuck off. Blue skies and increased contrast isn't the only use of a polarizer.
>>
I know that's not really the purpose of it, but I'm often using my CPL as ND for video. Turned so as to not have its effect, it's actually not too bad.
But if you do want the polarizing effect, cutting reflections and haze, there's no way grading could do it.
>>
File: polarizer2.jpg (66KB, 1000x610px) Image search: [Google]
polarizer2.jpg
66KB, 1000x610px
>>2992544
>>2992549
Do you think a polarizer would have benefits for filming on an island? Using it as an ND would be useful (it gets bright as fuck on the island I'll be on) but I'm wondering more if it would be good for the ocean/foliage.

And is the effect on portraits really as drastic as pic related?
>>
>>2992553
if the skin is highly reflective, it will do its job and flatten the reflections, yeah. it never gets as drastic as that though, and remember you can always tone it down.
CPL on an island, definitely. if the sea is clear, it can make beautiful images.
>>
>>2992557
Thanks man! The sea was fairly clear when I was last there so I'll probably keep it for the entire shoot except for when it gets dark. The Blackmagic 4K is pretty bad with low light.
>>
File: The New World.jpg (109KB, 959x405px) Image search: [Google]
The New World.jpg
109KB, 959x405px
Does it look like a polarizer was used on The New World?
https://film-grab.com/2010/08/22/the-new-world/

I know Chivo used a polarizer in The Tree of Life, but its hard for me to tell if he did the same in TNW.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareACD Systems Digital Imaging
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2006:06:05 02:00:40
Image Width959
Image Height405
>>
>>2992543

You'll have a hard time if you are shooting video.
>>
>>2992582
Using a CPL? I'll be shooting with the "film" setting, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>2992544
>>2992553
These are accurate and good posts. I would bring NDs as well. A cpl only pulls a stop off and you will need to pull more light than that.

>I'm wondering more if it would be good for the ocean/foliage.
A cpl will have a drastic effect on the ocean.
>>
File: polarizer-foliage.jpg (125KB, 400x516px) Image search: [Google]
polarizer-foliage.jpg
125KB, 400x516px
>>2992553
Streams, wet rocks, diffuse light under canopy, leaves, greens, so many things improve apart from just sky and clouds, it is a wonderful tool and inexpensive.

The way it cuts off reflections off of foliage is fantastic.

>>2992567
It depends on the lighting, but yes that is very possible, pic related, stolen off google.

Its honestly a fantastic tool to have, you can enrich so many colours and make them deep and pure by cutting off reflections, glare and diffuse reflections that normally wash the colours out.

>>2992582
No he wont, its exactly the same, if you point towards the sky in the wrong direction or wide angle and/or pan across the sky you'll get the 50/50 one side unpolarised one side polarised look.

Its exactly the same with still images if you want to shoot in a certain direction with the sky included.

Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Width400
Image Height516
>>
File: tonywaifu.jpg (75KB, 795x500px) Image search: [Google]
tonywaifu.jpg
75KB, 795x500px
Hi! I'm TonyNorthrup and in my book Stunning Digital Photography you can learn all about recreating all the filters within lightroom. Here's a quick sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcZkCnPs45s
>>
>>2992543
according to tony northrub, yes.
>>
File: Chibo 38.png (326KB, 720x304px) Image search: [Google]
Chibo 38.png
326KB, 720x304px
>>2992844
Thanks dude! This was really helpful and that image is the exact kind of effect I'm looking for -- the polarized foliage looks just like that in The New World. And I'll be doing a lot of wide angle work (around 18mm) but even if I go down to 10mm and I get that sky issue it seems like something I can fix in post.

Thanks again man, you really pushed my decision!

>>2992857
>>2992882
Eh, I'm not convinced. Using a polarizer means a certain amount of dedication to a "look" but if its the aesthetic I want I might as well use the best method. Plus I don't think you can cut off reflections in post like you can with a polarizer.
>>
>>2993080
>Eh, I'm not convinced. Using a polarizer means a certain amount of dedication to a "look" but if its the aesthetic I want I might as well use the best method.
Which is usually the polarizer. None of the post processing is as good IMO, but it seems that mediocre effects is good enough for too many today.
>>
>>2992857
52mm marumi cpl is only $30.
pl is even cheaper, which what i have for my eos m.
>>
File: Chivo 109.png (294KB, 852x354px) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 109.png
294KB, 852x354px
>>2993087
Sorry if that was worded poorly: my decision is to go with the polarizer as much as I can. And even if I can get something close in post I'd rather get it in camera to save a bit of time and get the authentic look.
>>
File: Chibo 36.png (418KB, 1118x462px) Image search: [Google]
Chibo 36.png
418KB, 1118x462px
>>2993088
I actually already got a Tiffen 67mm Circular Polarizer. My decision was concerned with whether or not I'll use it. I might as well get a CPL for my 52mm -- would Marumi be better than Tiffen?
>>
>>2992593
>>2992844
>>2993088
>>2993101
You guys seem to know what you're talking about so I'll ask. How much is too much/ too little when buying a polarizing filter?
>>
File: Chivo 8.jpg (88KB, 736x398px) Image search: [Google]
Chivo 8.jpg
88KB, 736x398px
>>2993119
OP here: I bought mine for like $30 and it seems decent. It doesn't look like they get too pricey, probably because its such a simple product. They're normally around $30-$60, very few of them are near $100. But that's just what I observed -- I don't know what the best brand is or anything.

Image Created2011:10:08 20:04:05
>>
>>2993125
thanks, always good to get some info
>>
>>2993119
don't buy the cheap chink ones.
when i bought a used lens, it came with a chink uv filter with UK branding. flaring out the ass. junk.

>>2993101
with marumi, it clearly says made in nippon folded 1000 times. so, can't go wrong there.
I have a kenko and it works as well too.

if you use a mirrorless you can get a PL filter, the non circular version, it works on contrast detect AF. I think it works on my sony pdaf too, can't remember.
>>
Is the Befree series really as good as people say? People said not to get a cheap tripod, so I got a Manfrotto 055 in alu. If the BeFree really is that good I'd like to get the carbon version, but can a tripod that light seriously hold a DSLR system steady for long exposures?
>>
>>2992543
No, stop asking this you fucking morons and learn HOW A POLARIZING FILTER WORKS. If you learn how it works, you will learn why it's IMPOSSIBLE to replicate the effect in post.
>>
>>2993245
>he doesn't know how to take pictures in post
>he uses a camera out in the field

lmao look at this tard
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.