[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

guvment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: no-5-dam.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
no-5-dam.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
Hey /p/, does anyone have experience here proposing projects to regional or state governments? My state has a lot of hydroelectric plants, in rural areas, and despite its importance to the entire state energy economy, it's not really talked about in urban areas. I'm interested in these feats of engineering and I'd love to take pictures of the inside and outside alike. Figure the easiest way to get inside is to have the government give me access. Is it possible to propose or request access, in return for offering them photos/a project as publicity for their infrastructure? I think cities and localities will do this to make themselves look attractive to tourists, and to their own residents even. I figure regional governments can't be much different.
>>
>>2992269
The local government authority responsible for them will probably have a public relations officer whose job is to deal with media enquiries. PHONE them, explain what you want to do and ask whose permission you would need to obtain.

If you act courteously and professionally they will probably help you as best they can.
>>
File: bellows_falls_island_hydro_1_1.jpg (97KB, 1360x892px) Image search: [Google]
bellows_falls_island_hydro_1_1.jpg
97KB, 1360x892px
>>2992279
If I wanted to do it then, I should contact the state, right?

Should I maybe have a website ready to make me look like I'm professional enough for them to even take me seriously? As of this moment I don't have one. I really want to take this on as my first major project.

The other thing I should mention is that I want to do this with my 4x5 camera. Another worry is that my choice of equipment might seem ridiculous to them.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D1H
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS Macintosh
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern726
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution170 dpi
Vertical Resolution170 dpi
Image Created2011:04:21 08:47:27
Exposure Time1/250 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length28.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1360
Image Height892
>>
>>2992493
If you don't have a website and they ask to see one, you'll look like a scrub and they might tell you to get lost politely (we'll be in touch.) If you're going to be taking this seriously then you should have a personal site. Just get some squarespace shit that's cheap/looks good
>>
>>2992269
>not really talked about
because dams are a disaster for the environment and dont even count as green anymore, as well as larger projects being insanely prohibitively expensive (a damn in brazil is the most expensive construction ever built) and, in the us, only a percent of hydropower is allowed to count towards a states sustainability portfolio so as not to discourage future projects, because the states are required to have a certain amount of sustainable energy.
there really is no reason to talk about dams unless they need to be repaired or taken down.
>>
>>2992493
>bellows falls
vermont, eh? vermont is pretty good about their water and with such low population density probably not overly concerned with terrorism. i bet youd be able to get in with little problem.
>>
>>2992516
I recognise that they are not the most sustainable or ecologically friendly option as far as power generation goes. I am only interested in them as interesting feats of engineering, and it's not something I've seen much artistic work on. Not that I doubt there isn't already tons of shit out there, regardless.

Dams are big and cool looking and contain neat machinery and I'd like to photograph it. The "talked about" comment was my reflecting that perhaps they would be open to some kind of artsy indirect PR like photography projects.
>>
>>2992493
>If I wanted to do it then, I should contact the state, right?
If the state is responsible for their management, yes, the PR department, Sometimes called a Press Office (though that name is a little old fashioned now).

>Should I maybe have a website ready to make me look like I'm professional enough for them to even take me seriously?
Just be honest. If you are a student shooting a project for a portfolio then say so. Lying and getting found out is the worst thing. Besides I'm sure they would be happier dealing with students than nosey journalists. If they think your are going to shoot and advert they will just say a flat no

In fact they will probably make you sign a form agreeing not to use the images for commercial purposes. This usually means you can't use them in adverts or any other kind of product promotion. But you can still sell them for editorial or artistic purposes. But make sure you read it before you agree to it

>Another worry is that my choice of equipment might seem ridiculous to them.
That is the least of your worries.

If you really want to appear pro know as much as you possibly can about the location in advance. Have a clear idea of what you are trying to get and explain that to them as concisely as you can. Also give them an estimate of how much time you think you'll need.

Remember being pro means being pro. It's an attitude towards the work that you are doing and the people you deal with while doing it, not just throwing up a website and pretending.
>>
>>2992934
>Remember being pro means being pro. It's an attitude towards the work that you are doing and the people you deal with while doing it, not just throwing up a website and pretending.

I hear you. I want to take this seriously. Gonna' take some time to plan, since we're buried in snow right now. Getting a time estimate in particular is great idea.

>In fact they will probably make you sign a form agreeing not to use the images for commercial purposes. This usually means you can't use them in adverts or any other kind of product promotion.

Dang, that's lame.

>Just be honest. If you are a student shooting a project for a portfolio then say so.

I'm not just looking to add a project for a portfolio. Dams really do excite me as an engineering feat.
>>
>>2993431
>Dang, that's lame.
It's not really, It's intended to ensure you are not using their facility to advertise or endorse products or services.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.