[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newfag to SLR and photography in general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0136_resized.jpg (67KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0136_resized.jpg
67KB, 1000x667px
I received a Nikon D3300 with a 18-55mm VR Lens for Christmas and I'd like to ask for a starting learning point how to use it to the fullest. Never really used an SLR camera before.

For example, I have pretty shaky hands and the VR image stabilization doesn't seem to work at all, even when it's enabled on the lens itself. Also what accessories are a must?

Picture in the post is from playing around with the camera for a few hours. EXIF data retained in image for maximum judge.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareVer.1.00
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern860
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)78 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2014:02:08 19:20:21
Exposure Time1/5 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length52.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width6000
Image Height4000
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlHigh Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
/p/ is not the best place to get such questions answered. I would suggest going through Youtube, there are plenty of channels for photography basics.

What you did with that pic you posted is you zoomed in all the way in with your lens, which ifs f3.5 when it's at its widest (18mm) and f5.6 when you zoomed it at 55mm. Basically the smaller the f-number the more open the lens is and more light gets to the sensor. When it's dark naturally you'd want more light to reach your sensor.

Photography can be summed up with: how much light (the f-number) reaches your sensor (ISO number) for how long (shutter speed). All you have to do to get your exposure the way you want it is to get these three factors in check.
>>
>>2989006
Check out DigitalRev TV on youtube, that gook is entertaining as fuck and he teaches things well
>>
Get ready for a comfy first day of Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQiUPbbjBn80FGY7X3lKkxbTTkbqhkx1Z

Also, your pic is probably down to holding technique. You can google how to hold a camera for max stability

Now get off /p/ and never return. It's bad for your photography and your sanity
>>
it's pretty dark and you aren't going to hand-held 1/5 sec to good results, for something like this you should get a tripod or a very wide aperture lens
>>
File: DSC_0096.jpg (2MB, 4342x2895px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0096.jpg
2MB, 4342x2895px
>>2989062
I went out and got myself a cheapo tripod since that's what I could afford. It's pretty shit and unstable. Also friend suggested to do some touchups since I shoot in both JPEG and RAW.

Righto. Time for maximum judge!

pic of 1/2

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)82 mm
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:12:27 14:29:17
Exposure Time15 sec
F-Numberf/16.0
Exposure ProgramShutter Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/16.0
Exposure Bias-3.3 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceCool White Fluorescent
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
File: DSC_0045_resized.jpg (522KB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0045_resized.jpg
522KB, 4000x2667px
>>2990551
2/2

Also I think I should get either a 70mm prime lens or 23-70mm zoom lens due of bigger focal length/lower FoV on the 70mm lens

Camera ModelNIKON D3300
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Color Filter Array Pattern802
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)37 mm
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:12:27 14:56:10
Exposure Time0.4 sec
F-Numberf/13.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/13.0
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceTungsten
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length25.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2989006
Get the 55-200 lens, OP. It's a good lens to have in your bag: it compliments the kit lens well and lets you do a lot more, more comfortably.
>>
>takes photos at 1/5 with zero experience and without knowing how to hold a camera
>EUGGHHH VR IS SHIT

No, you're just a noob.
A camera is an artists tool, just like a paintbrush or guitar, the one thing all 3 have in common is that you need to learn a lot and practice a lot before it's not shit - as a general guideline your first 100k photos shot AND edited are practice. Imagine if you got your first guitar for Christmas, played with it the same amount you've played with your camera and then uploaded your "song" to /mu, there's no way that song isn't abysmal and people are definitely laughing at you, just because you CAN take a technically perfect photo with little more than a click, doesn't mean it has any merit, just like casio have a sick demo beat on their keyboards. The 35mm photographers handbook is a great starting point and readily available for pennies second hand.

Here's a good rule of thumb to get you started, shutter speed should be no slower than 1/2*fl, or 1/fl with vr/ibis/ois/etc if you want reliably sharp photos.

You don't need any new lenses yet, the kit will last you for a fair while, one of the big issues with the d3300 is that older/more affordable autofocus lenses do not work with it as it doesn't have a screw drive.
>>
>>2990551
ISO 100 is for sunlit subjects. Next time you try long exposures; play around with higher ISO settings at 5/15/30 second exposures.
Ill make a suggestion for long exposures. Either go Mup or remote trigger. If you are unfamiliar with or don't have, you can use the self timer to avoid movement and blur in the exposure.
Another fun tip when shooing long exposures at night.. take a flashlight with fresh batteries with you and try whats called light painting and/or during a long exposure stay behind the lens and just ad extra spot illumination with the flashlight.
>>
>>2989006
>>2991316
Hey OP. I found you an article that would explain alot of what I learned through trial and error.

digital-photography-school.com/light-painting-part-one-the-photography/

have fun!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.