[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any professionals here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

Are there any professionals here?
>>
You mean like, lawyers, doctors, accountants, stuff like that?
>>
>>2988290
#rekt
>>
Depends on definition. I do paid work on a semi regular basis.
>>
It depends.
>>
>>2988286
Inb4 this thread devolves into shit posting about what it means to be a "professional photographer."
>>
>>2988323
a person engaged or qualified in a profession.

If you're working full time as a photog, I consider you a professional.

You can BE professional and not A professional, if that makes sense.

I only shoot paid gigs here and there, but I do my best to be professional when I do it.
>>
It's my main source of income, I have side jobs. Shit is slow as fuck right now being winter, it's always slow from xmas till March.

Thinking of going for accreditation but it's fucking overpriced and judged by self proclaimed *professionals*, many of whose work is absolutely terrible. So I dunno.
>>
working at photolab 2 years + 2,5 owning photography buisness doing commercial, wedding, press.. anything
Been with photography for some years now, what exacly do you need, dont know if i can help bul ill try.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
PhotographerJakub Seydak
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:19 15:47:05
Exposure Time1/90 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias1/2 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length42.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
Yes I masturbate professionally and I am sponsored by Astroglide.
>>
>>2988290
Dammit mom, don't start
>>
Former pro photojournalist here. Mostly shot sports and had a sideline in cosplay because my ex-gf was into that scene.

I drifted out of pro photography because it was too much work for too little money. Took a job at an automotive aftermarket company that was about 50% photography and 50% blogging, social media, etc, and eventually got out of shooting for money entirely.
>>
>>2988324
Furthermore, working full time as a photog does not mean your works is artistic or meaningful.
>>
>>2988420
I'd go even further and saying that there's very little room for "art" or "meaning" as a full-time pro. All that really matters is consistency and being able to shoot what your client wants. You go into a gig knowing what you need to get, and don't really have time to express yourself or whatever.

That's a big part of why I quit photography. I realized one day that I was doing repetitive boring bullshit all day, just like people in any other job, and that by sitting at a desk doing repetitive boring bullshit instead I could make twice as much money for half the work and have my evenings and weekends free again.
>>
>>2988324

but photography is a craft or a trade, and not a profession.

i also don't know why people think this demeans photography or those who make a living doing it. i mean, i get why the silly billies who call themselves "professional photographers" are upset by it, since they don't get to call themselves pro anymore (pro means really good!). but why is anyone else bothered by it?
>>
>>2988420
Of course not. In fact, if you're a professional lets say wedding photographer, you're not going to have the time necessarily to make 'artistic' shots, although you do have the freedom to still be a creative person.
>>
>>2988477
How is it not a profession? The only part of it that does not make it dictionary ready, is that the qualification part is ambiguous.

An electrician is practicing a trade, but it is also their profession.

It's really semantics. The best photographers that I've met don't really care if they're called pros or not. They know what they are.

Currently I make money on the side doing photography. Standard shit.

However I am transferring in the military to combat camera, which, by any metric, will make me a professional photographer. Sort of lol.
>>
>>2988286
Legit thought a TV was being walked down the aisle for a second
>>
>>2988495
>How is it not a profession?

No barrier to entry.
No requirement for specialized education, or even any education.
No certification or licensing process.
No code of ethics.
Very few national organizations.
No local organizations.

The only branch of photography that comes close is photojournalism. Everything else is (say it with me) "commercial photography", which is practiced by commercial photographers who may or may not have specialties like wedding, portrait, etc.
>>
>>2988498
So by your definition the only professions out there are doctors, lawyers and engineers?
>>
>>2988503

this isn't my definition. it's an actual, legit legal term that countries use to determine whether your employment is a vocation, a trade or a profession. the original three, by the way, were clergy, doctors and lawyers.

Engineers are an acceptable answer, as are professors and teachers, and architects, and sea captains and scientists and social workers, etc.

Here's a quick easy tip to see whether you're a professional or not: Do you have to say that you are? If you do, then you probably aren't.

You don't have to say that you're a professional doctor or not. By merit of licensing and education, you automatically aree one. To claim that you are one when you are not is a crime. On the other hand, who's to stop you from saying that you're a professional photographer? No one? No problem? How can they prove that you aren't when there's no certification, no qualification, no organization?
>>
I'm a pro "'tog" and a pro shitposter to boot.

>>2988497
wait, you mean it's not a man marrying his home theatre system?
>>
File: 1482469196142.jpg (78KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
1482469196142.jpg
78KB, 449x600px
I shot weddings for awhile and it blew. Moved on and a few years later I'm shooting for arts sake. Have a handful of shows a year and representation at a decent local gallery. Doesn't pay the bills but it makes some money. I work in education as it gives me a pile of free time to do what I want.
>>
>>2988286
nice shot of that ipad, gorgeous cover on that baby
>>
>>2988411
do you prefer what you do now? Do you enjoy shooting more now? Still use the same gear or did you downsize?
>>
>>2988323
so there we go, it is now discussion about just that: >>2988323
We do have a bunch of pros here, but no real question from OP.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1 (Windows)
PhotographerJakub Seydak
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:19 16:00:11
Exposure Time1/180 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length70.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2988629
I definitely prefer what I'm doing now in terms of career. I'm actually working part time while going to school right now, working toward a doctorate and hopefully becoming a college professor eventually.

I'm not as sure about shooting. Having freedom is nice, but I definitely miss the goal-focused shooting from my pro days. I find it kind of hard to come up with anything interesting to shoot on my own.

As for downsizing, yeah, and I've done it hard. I had a D3S and a D300S, the "holy trinity," a few primes, and piles of lighting gear etc. My insured equipment value was north of 20k. Now I have an X-Pro2 and a few primes.
>>
Professional faggot reporting in
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.