[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I being overly cynical?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: hahaaaa.jpg (120KB, 750x526px) Image search: [Google]
hahaaaa.jpg
120KB, 750x526px
Am I being overly cynical towards my many photographer acquaintances whose long-term goal is to continue taking engagement/wedding photos of couples with 34mm 1.4 lenses at fully opened apertures?

IDK I just like bold and experimental expression in photography. I know it's not as lucrative as cliché and narcissistic photos of privileged millennials falling in love, but it's still a key part of photography--a part that I feel like so many "photographers" are missing out on.
>>
>>2987631
35mm*
>>
Frankly, you sound like a salty little bitch.
>>
>>2987635
literally all this tells me is what you do for a living. try answering the question instead.
>>
>>2987636

The question was "am i being overly cynical?", and I answered, yes, you are in fact a salty little bitch.
>>
What's wrong with shooting stuff that pays the bills? Nobody pays money for street photography. If you want to make money you need to appeal to the masses. The few people I know doing pretty rad editorial work started out shooting the very stuff your cynical about until someone important noticed them and started giving them assignments.

How do you know they aren't shooting 'experimental' stuff in their free time?

BTW, that OP image is really nice. Lovely composition with how her dress was laid out.
>>
I like the truck, the older planks create a great opposition with the spotless paintwork.
>>
>>2987631
I exclusively shoot explicit endoscopic experimental wedding picures.
I never pay bills, though. Bills are for plebs.
>>
>>2987939
>Bills are for plebs
All of a sudden a true statement appears.

>>2987631
I don't find it all too cynical. Everything is a question of standards. And in case I would eventually marry and I would decide to engage a bearded chilled photog who is a husband and father himself (I learned this is obligatory for wedding togs), I would prefer someone who's understanding of high-tier self-expression is to document a day of celebration for others.
I wouldn't want someone for whom wedding photography is a waste of his time and (maybe) talent.

But when I want fine art photography, to contemplate or decorate my wall so that everyone knows that I'm a gentle spirit, then the last I'd want is a horrible hipster pleb who thinks cars, streets and fences are a subject of interest in any way.

So there is room for everything, and everybody should make what he is made for. .. The worst are people who enforce themselves to do stuff they actually are not good for. In any direction. So, if you hate wedding photography, please do mankind a favour and never ever shoot a wedding.
>>
>>2987631
Your post tell me that:
>you are pretentious, which is fine to a degree since that's almost a prerequisite to getting into photography
>you have a superiority complex
>"34mm, lol!
>you have no respect for potential customers, and have a hugely judgemental attitude towards both paying clients and other photographers

You sir, are everything wrong with photographers. Take your fedora and go take some more "experimental" pictures of trash in dimly lit alleys.
>>
>>2988013
Go into a bar and talk about sports and how immigrants steal your jobs and women, subhuman.
>>
>>2987631
For fuck's sake, you are a gigantic faggot. No, there is nothing wrong with people having different goals than you, fucking retard.
>>
>>2987631

You sound like someone with very little experience doing client work if any at all.

When I shoot weddings, I'm focused on getting pictures my client will like. Not "bold and experimental expression."
>>
File: sportsandimmigrants.jpg (62KB, 400x452px) Image search: [Google]
sportsandimmigrants.jpg
62KB, 400x452px
>>2988020
>>
>>2987631
OP you are definitely being too cynical. Like someone previously said in the thread, your friends' work is more meaningful and less formulaic than you think.

Just because it's honest and mundane work doesn't make it any less valuable than high or experimental photography. And once again, in today's world you really can't pay the bills by taking experimental photos; a sad reality but a reality nonetheless.

Don't ridicule people for using their photography skills to pay the bills in a way you perceive as inferior. Additionally, who knows, maybe in their spare time they are using their equipment to get some of the experimental shots that you're raving about?

In summary, yes, you're being too cynical, but it's not too late to turn that frown upside-down!
>>
Nah, you're fine OP.

Wedding photography is a bland almost talentless job. People who only shoot wide open too are also people who struggle to creatively frame a shot and have to rely on crutches.
Just like every other aperture priority, autofocusing digipleb.
>>
>>2987631
You really don't sound like a very nice person. There's no skill ceiling to wedding photography, there are thousands of wedding photographers out there who are better than you will ever be. If you legitimately think you're producing high art and yet are having this insecurity crisis, I'd say you're not the hotshot you think you are.

This attitude is everything wrong with the industry and the reason photographers are developing a reputation not for being passionate, hard-working creatives but for being pretentious, jaded egotists.

Feel free to prove me wrong by showing us some of your work.
>>
>>2987631
Everyone I know who does wedding photography works their ass off and I respect them quite highly for it.

It's not something I'd get into because I take photos for myself, but I harbor no resentment for people who actually enjoy doing it. The nice thing about cameras is they're just tools and you can do whatever the fuck you want with them.

>am I being overly cynical
Yeah, probably. I get kinda cynical too, about the people on facebook who get hundreds of likes for photos I don't personally enjoy. I realize that the only way to take care of that is to get over myself. No, really, let go of my pretense, get over myself and enjoy life. It's to my benefit, and yours to if you do it.
>>
>>2987631
I don't know if you're being overly cynical, but you are at least unfairly expecting other people to have the same goals and ambitions as you. When it comes to photography, some people want to make abstract art, some people want to create cool but non-abstract visuals, some people want to document the world around them as it actually is, some want to take posed portraits or fashion shoots, some people just want to get cute photos of their kids and/or pets, and some people mostly care about getting paid. None of those is a wrong way to use a camera.
>>
>>2987631
>privileged millennials falling in love
it's not their fault you're unhappy
>>
>>2987631
>IDK I just like bold and experimental expression in photography.

You think they don't?

They're doing what they need to make a living.

Is it cutting edge art? Of course not. It's cliche and pastiche. But it makes money.

If you want to make ART, stay amateur for another 15 years.

Also, used the word 'privilege' so GFY.
>>
>>2988010
>But when I want fine art photography, to contemplate or decorate my wall

Print your own images ffs.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.