[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lens design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: ZeissTessar-text.svg.png (14KB, 365x407px) Image search: [Google]
ZeissTessar-text.svg.png
14KB, 365x407px
How does the aperture work? How does it not change the angle of view when it is closed?
>>
It does change the angle of view
>>
>>2987105
It changes depth of field.
>>
Why would it? It just lets more or less light in depending on how far it is opened, but that doesn't really affect the angle now does it?
>>
>>2987168
Yes but how?
>>
>>2987169
h-how what?
>>
On the subject of lens design

I've been googling, but I can't find any reading material about lens design. It's all lackluster wiki pages, which can only be found if I specifically search fro "Tessar" etc.
>>
>>2987170
make a circle with your hand in front of your eye, now make it smaller, you see less! but this doesn't happen with apertures getting smaller
>>
>>2987173
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photographic_lens_design

Everything you need to know anon.
>>
>>2987174
Poke a small hole in a piece of card with a drawing pin and hold it very close to your eye, whoa, you can now make things out clearer.

The main difference in a camera is the aperture is either behind or in the middle of the lens, so does not restrict the image circle.
>>
>>2987169
light spreads out, it doesnt continue in a straight line when passed through a hole, it doesnt reduce the viewing area
>>
>>2987182
This has nothing to do with lens design. You've just made a wide angle pinhole changing the focal lenght.
>>
>>2987182
>>2987204
>>
literally 10s in google
>>
>>2987226

That does a terrible job of answering op's question though.
>>
>>2987227
>>2987226

Also

>aperture in front of the lens

lol wut
>>
File: DSF5994reg.jpg (217KB, 620x473px) Image search: [Google]
DSF5994reg.jpg
217KB, 620x473px
>>2987228
you can have the iris in the front depending on the lens

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-E1
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)61 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2014:06:30 21:24:13
Exposure Time1/240 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating500
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Brightness5.8 EV
Exposure Bias1.3 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length40.70 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width620
Image Height473
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
>>2987229

It's extremely uncommon (your lens is made by a single guy in japan) and that image is pretty misleading because of it. it's basically reversed.
>>
>>2987231
I never said it was common or not just that it's not misleading because it can be done

It's also irrelevant to the image because its easy to imagine it on the other side as well as it's functionally the same
>>
>>2987233

It's easy to imagine it on the other side if you understand aperture. if you're a newbie, it's only more confusing.
>>
>>2987239
Yeah so you should definitely just teach people the basics so they never want to learn anymore so when they see a rudimentary image that explains how depth of field works they go

>aperture in front of lens lolwut
>>
>>2987227
>>2987228
How do you manage to function as a living human being? Do you have breathing aids?
>>
>>2987240

Or maybe you should teach people the basics simply and in a straightforward manner, so that they have a strong foundation to assess exotic situations later on in life when they encounter them.

don't be butthurt because of i disregarded your technicality and misleading image, kiddo. it's not your fault you can't explain things well. it's a natural byproduct of thinking you know more than you actually do.
>>
>>2987242

No, I just have regular AIDs.
>>
>>2987243
>it's not your fault you can't explain things well. it's a natural byproduct of thinking you know more than you actually do.
>don't be butthurt because of i disregarded your technicality and misleading image, kiddo

You sure I'm the one that's butthurt
>>
>>2987249

Yes.
>>
introducing the aperture behind or in front of the entire lens assembly causes, respectively, pincushion or barrel distortion - exactly because of "changing the angle of view" - to dumb it down - and of course only at very small apertures - which is exactly why aperture assemblies are always, preferrably (cutting costs or simplifying design aside), in between optical elements of the lens - so that the distortions caused by the aperture being, respectively, behind the front element(s) and in front of the rear element(s) effectively cancel eachother out.
This is applied in the early double meniscus or, regretably called - "periscope lens"(the term was overtaken by the other more famous periscope so google wont help) design.

I wish I was less of a fag to fit this in fewer simpler words.
>>
It does. However the effect is one of restricting the angles from which light is permitted to reach the focal plane, thereby increasing the range of depths at which the resulting image is in acceptable focus. Think of it as a smaller aperture causing less blur to reach the focal plane.

This is also the reason why large-aperture prestige lenses (f/1.4 and bigger on 35mm eqv.) tend to be softer and have less edge contrast wide open regardless of focus; the brighter areas leak in more.
>>
>>2987263
reminder that this slav is the giannis of misinformation
>>
ITT: millenials not being able to understand a simple image depicting a natural phenomenon
>>
>>2987394
You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You think you're answering the question, but you're nowhere near. UR TOO INTELLIGENT FOR THIS THREAD XDDDD
>>
>>2987366
That's pretty annoying with older lenses like my 1.4 non-AI nikkor from the 60's.
>>
File: Peacockingmini.jpg (261KB, 1151x800px) Image search: [Google]
Peacockingmini.jpg
261KB, 1151x800px
>>2987078
Hey OP, the optical stop is normally placed in the middle of the lense to restrict any mechanical vignetting it might introduce.
The light travelling through the lense is inverted and spat out the other end upside down and back to front, so they stop down the crossover point. If you take a lense and stop it down, holding it in front of your face, looking from the front, you can still see a clear path through the lense as you move it around within the lenses' angle of view, it's just a smaller path.
What the stop does is filter the light coming through the lense, so that progressively, as you stop down, only light pointing directly from your subject straight at your imaging plane straight through the centre of the lense is permitted to pass.
Think about the way light operates; it bounces in all directions off almost everything. The exception is a mirror, for example, which bounces light off it in a very orderly fashion.
If you look at something across the room, and then move your head 3cm to one side, you can still see it. That 3cm represents the distance from the middle of your 85/1.2 to the outer periphery of its wide open aperture.
That means your very expensive f/1.2 lense will take that entire, 6cm wide wedge of light emanating from that point object, and converge it back into a point (relatively) at the focal plane. When you stop down to f/5.6, it's only converging a 1cm wedge now, and accordingly, it's a shitload sharper, but also a lot less light, so your exposure time increases.
>>2987226 is a useful diagram, because it shows why you get more blur as you open the stop; because it's letting such a wide beam of light through the lense, it reconverges at wildly different points relative to the imaging sensor/film. All of those narrow, in focus beams are also getting through of course, but they're swamped by the massive amount of outof focus light in your final exposure.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Comment
ProjectionRectilinear (0)
FOV9 x 6
Ev13.25
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
>>2987452
I didn't understand a word you said
>>
>>2987452
>EOS 550D
lol faggot
>>
>>2987452
Not OP but actually that makes sense, thanks.
>>
>>2987452
Sweet blow out sky
>>
>>2987263
pretending to know what you're talking about while asking for attention about your sexual orientation that no one asked about

>>2987452
based anonymous providing actual explanation with facts and science and reasonable and responsible language choices

tripfags are such scum
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.