[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space photos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 12

File: llpegspiral_hubble_1625.jpg (546KB, 1625x1625px) Image search: [Google]
llpegspiral_hubble_1625.jpg
546KB, 1625x1625px
Hello /p/.

As I love space and photography, I declare this space photos thread open.
>>
File: NorthSaturn_Cassini_1024.jpg (99KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
NorthSaturn_Cassini_1024.jpg
99KB, 1024x1024px
Northpole of saturn by Cassini spacecraft
>>
File: ngc4696_Hubble_1500.jpg (227KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ngc4696_Hubble_1500.jpg
227KB, 1500x1200px
Op Here. As I download a vast majority of images from APOD i'll post expanation with the pictures.

>NGC 4696: Filaments around a Black Hole
>What's happening at the center of elliptical galaxy NGC 4696? There, long tendrils of gas and dust have been imaged in great detail as shown by this recently released image >from the Hubble Space Telescope. These filaments appear to connect to the central region of the galaxy, a region thought occupied by a supermassive black hole. Speculation >holds that this black hole pumps out energy that heats surrounding gas, pushes out cooler filaments of gas and dust, and shuts down star formation. Balanced by magnetic >fields, these filaments then appear to spiral back in toward and eventually circle the central black hole. NGC 4696 is the largest galaxy in the Centaurus Cluster of Galaxies, >located about 150 million light years from Earth. The featured image shows a region about 45,000 light years across.
>>
File: Arp240_HubbleKotsiopulos_1618.jpg (251KB, 1618x1288px) Image search: [Google]
Arp240_HubbleKotsiopulos_1618.jpg
251KB, 1618x1288px
One of my favoite

>Arp 240: A Bridge between Spiral Galaxies from Hubble
>Why is there a bridge between these two spiral galaxies? Made of gas and stars, the bridge provides strong evidence that these two immense star systems have passed close to each other and experienced violent >tides induced by mutual gravity. Known together as Arp 240 but individually as NGC 5257 and NGC 5258, computer modelling and the ages of star clusters indicate that the two galaxies completed a first passage >near each other only about 250 million years ago. Gravitational tides not only pulled away matter, they compress gas and so caused star formation in both galaxies and the unusual bridge. Galactic mergers are >thought to be common, with Arp 240 representing a snapshot of a brief stage in this inevitable process. The Arp 240 pair are about 300 million light-years distant and can be seen with a small telescope toward the >constellation of Virgo. Repeated close passages should ultimately result in a merger and with the emergence of a single combined galaxy. Free Download: APOD 2017 Calendar: NASA Images
>>
File: SputnikPlanum_NewHorizons_1180.jpg (229KB, 1180x766px) Image search: [Google]
SputnikPlanum_NewHorizons_1180.jpg
229KB, 1180x766px
>Pluto's Sputnik Planum
>Is there an ocean below Sputnik Planum on Pluto? The unusually smooth 1000-km wide golden expanse, visible in the featured image from New Horizons, appears segmented into convection cells. But how was this region created? One hypothesis now holds the answer to be a great impact that stirred up an underground ocean of salt water roughly 100-kilometers thick. The featured image of Sputnik Planum, part of the larger heart-shaped Tombaugh Regio, was taken last July and shows true details in exaggerated colors. Although the robotic New Horizons spacecraft is off on a new adventure, continued computer-modeling of this surprising surface feature on Pluto is likely to lead to more refined speculations about what lies beneath.
>>
File: ISStransit_Smith_3000.jpg (1MB, 3000x2966px) Image search: [Google]
ISStransit_Smith_3000.jpg
1MB, 3000x2966px
iss passing by
>>
this is nice
>>
>>2967439
>>
File: HeartSoul_Lindemann_1280.jpg (449KB, 1280x898px) Image search: [Google]
HeartSoul_Lindemann_1280.jpg
449KB, 1280x898px
>The Heart and Soul Nebulas

>Is the heart and soul of our Galaxy located in Cassiopeia? Possibly not, but that is where two bright emission nebulas nicknamed Heart and Soul can be found. The Heart Nebula, officially dubbed IC 1805 and visible in the featured image on the right, has a shape reminiscent of a classical heart symbol. Both nebulas shine brightly in the red light of energized hydrogen. Several young open clusters of stars populate the image and are visible here in blue, including the nebula centers. Light takes about 6,000 years to reach us from these nebulas, which together span roughly 300 light years. Studies of stars and clusters like those found in the Heart and Soul Nebulas have focused on how massive stars form and how they affect their environment. Follow APOD on: Facebook, Google Plus, Instagram, or Twitter
>>
Hi /p/

Just took a photo using my new Celestron 8 telescope, what do you think? Does anyone have any tips on homemade star tracking software/hardware?
>>
>>2983590
awesome shot!! what planet is that?
>>
>>2983590
blender/10
>>
>>2983508

kind of amazing, just imagine:
- full moon
- not hide behind clouds
- iss flying by exactly bevor the moon in relation to the photographers position.

i wonder how often that happen...
>>
>>2984491
>- iss flying by exactly bevor the moon in relation to the photographers position.

sorry, i mean "in front of the moon".
>>
File: 1343280849442.jpg (10KB, 285x256px) Image search: [Google]
1343280849442.jpg
10KB, 285x256px
>>2984491
>>2984492
>Full moon
>Not hide behind clouds
Earthlings are so funny
>>
>>2984493

>implying Kris Smith is an astronaut...

god damn it... and i thought /b/ or /v/ were retards...
>>
File: ivan_iss_3032.jpg (1001KB, 3032x2064px) Image search: [Google]
ivan_iss_3032.jpg
1001KB, 3032x2064px
Ivan storm from iss
>>
File: iojup_cassini_big.jpg (131KB, 999x959px) Image search: [Google]
iojup_cassini_big.jpg
131KB, 999x959px
Io and Jupiter, such an amazing and powerful images
>>
File: rings2_cassini_big.jpg (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rings2_cassini_big.jpg
53KB, 1000x1000px
>A Shadow on the Rings of Saturn
>This picture of Saturn could not have been taken from Earth. No Earth based picture could possibly view the night side of Saturn and the corresponding shadow cast across Saturn's rings. Since Earth is much closer to the Sun than Saturn, only the day side of the planet is visible from the Earth. Rather, this picture was taken by the robot Cassini spacecraft that began orbiting Saturn earlier this month. The dark western limb of Saturn looms large on the image right, while complex concentrations of small ring particles reflect sunlight on the image left. Saturn's enigmatic F ring is visible around the outside, showing mysterious knots. The small moon Epimetheus, only about 100 kilometers across, can also been seen on the far left. Cassini is scheduled to drop a probe toward the largest moon Titan in December.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.