[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Photography online portfolios

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 8Q5A4472.jpg (243KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
8Q5A4472.jpg
243KB, 960x640px
Hi /p/,

Some months ago I posted about a website I was doing for my photography work. You guys gave me some tips that helped me back then.

Well, I just updated it, but I still would like to hear from you guys before showing it to general public. I feel some sections probably have too many photos, or have photos that didn't need to be there... anyway, if you guys want to take a look, here it is:

www.gabrieljtrodrigues.com

I'd also like to hear your opinion about a new section for concert photography. I think I have the material to do such section, but I don't know if it's necessary at all -- seems like it would be somewhat conflictive with the general mood of the work I'm showing there...

Also, feel free to post your own websites. I'd like to see the portfolios of fellow /p/hotographers.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width960
Image Height640
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:11:29 19:53:56
Exposure Time1/640 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width960
Image Height640
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
I checked it. Your first three sections looks basically the same. lost interest in the sixth photo of the first section.

Also, the demonstration part has some junkies smoking weed, i already think you are a junkie.

You could put most of those three under urban life and it would make no difference. definitely too many photos.

Try recategorizing and trimming down the fat, you have some solid images here and there.
>>
Olar,

did you used 'portfolio box' as your engine? You site looks clean and it's nice to see. Maybe for a portfolio site it has too much, maybe if you select only the essential would attract more attention.

funny thing, I'm also from SP and just did my 'portfolio' today, as I'm searching for a job again
http://www.chiereguini.portfoliobox.net/
I would appreciate if you give me some opinion and even feed back

thx
>>
>>2982016

>I checked it. Your first three sections looks basically the same. lost interest in the sixth photo of the first section.

Hmm... "Demonstrations" and "Urban Life" are really similar indeed. Not sure about "University Joy" though.
I think you are right, anyway. I felt the need to do separated sections here because "Demonstrations" is the nearest section I have from photojounalism, whereas "Urban Life" is... well, more free, I think.

But the idea of cutting off something like 70% of "Demonstrations" (which is by far the largest section) and something from "Urban Life" is growing in my mind.

>Also, the demonstration part has some junkies smoking weed, i already think you are a junkie.

Hahah, I'm kind of the opposite, actually. Never smoked anything and, hell, I don't even drink. I'm not very fond of those images to be honest; I may keep them, but put them between the last ones in that gallery.

Thanks for the help!

>>2982024

It's actually SquareSpace ("Wells" template). Took me a while to make it the way I wanted -- very clean, as you said.

Will take a closer look at your site and report back.
>>
File: 011 IMG_9998.jpg (336KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
011 IMG_9998.jpg
336KB, 960x640px
>>2981977

Good stuff OP. I like your style.

I agree with >>2982016 in that there are many photos across sections that could be grouped together and/or reduced. The unclassified section stuck out because it was the most different. Layout is easy to look at and navigate.

My site here: http://www.contactpete.com/
I'm not sure where I'm going with my portfolio since photography isn't my day gig, so harsh cc is appreciated

Also, pic related >>2982082 I took this one a while back and never ended up posting it

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T2i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.0
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:03:25 19:20:22
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Subject Distance3.17 m
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length75.00 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
>>
>>2982024

OP here, reporting back.
Site seems fine. You're not making the same mistake I am: putting too many images...
I'd like to see a bit more, though, mainly on "Jornalismo". I feel I can't quite get your style as a photographer just by your portfolio (and I've seen some of your threads here: I know you have the material). Just don't overshoot, like I did -- this isn't so much about number of images; rather, it's about cohesion, I'd say...
(By the way: it's funny to see that we actually shoot the same rallies).

Last but not least: try setting up some kind of "home" page or an index page (but don't do like I did -- I think mine is kind of precarious...).

>>2982109

Thanks. I'm happy to hear that navigation isn't too difficult. It was one of my greatest concerns...
I'm keeping my site unaltered while this thread is (kinda) active, just in case another anon has more tips. Will do the changes as soon as the thread reaches page 5 or something.
>>
File: 8Q5A0974.jpg (96KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
8Q5A0974.jpg
96KB, 500x333px
>>2981977
>is that MASP
>gabrieljtrodrigues

oh shit lmao you're from SP too

so much filler do you even know what a good portfolio aspires to do
first three sections are the all too the same and too much fodder further diluted the content
also that means no memorable ones
pic related only thing salvageable

>>2982024

shit this dude's from SP too are we having a party or something
>>
>>2982961

/p/ SP meetup when? edition "I'm too wasted to walk through Augusta right now"
>>
>>2982024

cheap stained pinstripe suit pants, missing bass buttons on accordion, coconut ring, adulterated hat: is he homeless?
did you get yourself a homeless dude up in your portfolio?
>>
>>2982963

this is /sp/ now

didn't wake up in a good mood anon sorry for the harsh criticism
noticed you did archi, why do you need a portfolio anyways?
>>
File: _ACM4919.jpg (560KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
_ACM4919.jpg
560KB, 665x1000px
>>2982965
He's not homeless, street musician actually, because of cultural enrichment sort of a thing...

>>2982967
I'm not OP...

Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D700
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.5.1 (Windows)
PhotographerMirari
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern804
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)85 mm
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:12:05 22:54:10
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length85.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
OP here.

>>2982961

>oh shit lmao you're from SP too
I'd not be surprised, actually. There's plenty of brazilian lurkers here, SP is huge and has a lot of photographers, so...

>so much filler do you even know what a good portfolio aspires to do

Yeap, I guess you're right... to some point. I'm not very fond of portfolios with too few images, but I definitely exaggerated.

>first three sections are the all too the same and too much fodder further diluted the content

I can see that with "Urban Life" and "Demonstrations", but is "University Joy" so similar as well? This is definitely news for me...

>also that means no memorable ones

Got it.

>pic related only thing salvageable

That was cruel...
(I like this photo, but it isn't my favorite from that section, lol).

Thanks for the feedback, anon. Don't worry about harshness -- this is what /p/ is for.
>>
>>2981977
It looks like you took all the photos in the same day
>>
>>2983224

see this is what I mean >>2983582
vida universitária seems to me like a gleeful and colorful blur but it's just the repetition of the same picture

>>2982970
>street musician

potato potato I find it offensive
as in it's borderline cultural misappropriation
>>
>>2983755

about >>2982970

Are you on drugs? Just quit it, mate, It's damaging your brain functions.
>>
language selection is a little weird, splash pages are usually pretty bad and this one doesn't do anything for you. very blank. either make it exciting or get rid of it

concert section would be good even if brief
>>
OP here.

>>2983582
>>2983755

>It looks like you took all the photos in the same day

I think I understand what you guys are trying to say, but... well... if that's the case, I have a real issue.

I can solve too many photos in a section, getting rid of entire sections or adding new ones, but I feel what you guys are asking from me is a photography that I still don't have. I hope you understand -- if my photographs look repetitive throughout the sections, solving the problem isn't exactly a matter of managing the sections themselves. This wouldn't be enough, from what I can understand from your feedbacks -- unless I limit my whole portfolio to something like two galleries, 10 photos each.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, and I seriously appreciate your input, but I'm afraid I can only go so far on getting my portfolio better from your comments. Severely limiting my portfolio for the sake of variety isn't the best option for me right now, I think. As you guys noticed, I don't have too many memorable photographs (and it can take me my whole life to achieve this, if I'm lucky...). This may be a true limitation of my work and... well.. I have to deal with this. For now, what you guys see is pretty much the best I can do...

(cont.)
>>
>>2984407

That all being said, I still think the sections defined as they are now aren't a bad idea. "Urban Life" and "Demonstrations" can be stylistically similar, but their difference relies on theme. "Demonstrations" is more prone to photojournalism; this hardly is the case with "Urban Life". If they look too similar, I'd rather get rid of "Urban Life" -- something I'm not very willing to do, but I'm hearing you with attention on this subject.

Cutting off a lot of photographs from "Demonstrations" seems necessary and I'm going to do so.

"University Joy" seems to me different from these two sections, even in its style. I'm still a bit surprised with your inputs, but I know we grow attached to our work and this can blur our judgement... so yeah. This section could have the same fate as Urban Life.

My main idea, right now, is to adjust "Demonstrations" to an acceptable number of images and re-think some images in "Urban Life" and "University Joy". If you guys have any ideas, feel free to tell. I can't say I'll just apply them all, but I'll listen carefully.

Thanks for your feedback. Much, much appreciated. And sorry for the long post.
>>
>>2983928

I don't exactly like the idea of the splash page either, but I'm thinking on the kind of people that will reach my site as I give business cards etc. (I'm in Brazil. Imagine an old photog that isn't that intimate with internet etc... it's probably easier to just select the language first and begin from there).

Unfortunately, SquareSpace is a bit limited in tools to customize these pages (unless you know a lot of CSS -- which I don't...). Well, I can put a photograph. Would it make it better?

Thanks for the feedback!
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.