[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im a noob, like i literally got my first real camera 3 hours

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 04_Fujifilm_XE-1_35436308.jpg (57KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
04_Fujifilm_XE-1_35436308.jpg
57KB, 770x433px
Im a noob, like i literally got my first real camera 3 hours ago

Been having trouble controlling shutter speeds, the knob goes from 4000-2000 yet everything above 60 creates a really dark image, nearly black, when i take photos in my room.

so i google around, many sites tell the thumbrule of having a shutter speed equal, or higher than the focal length.
right now im shooting at 18 mm so according to the "rule" i should be using 1/18 or higher; but its an apsc sensor, should i recalculate it?

Overwhelm me with tips and tricks
>>
>>2981006
you should go back to the store with it
>>
>>2981006
that's a rule of thumb, and a bad one. 1/18 s exposures won't freeze motion, for example. there are plenty of situations where you need to go to 1/500 or faster even.
as for your other question, look up the exposure triangle
>>
heres one nice trick: kill yourself
>>
>>2981011
>>2981013
lol
>>
>>2981006
>knows what apsc means but doesn't understand exposure
and another gearfag was born
>>
>>2981006
>4000-2000
4-2000
>>
>>2981006
If you have a Fuji XE1 I assume it's second hand, do a fucking factory reset and just download the pdf manual.

Happy shooting.

>>2981011
>>2981013
Have a word with yourselves.
>>
If you want to learn a bit more about assessing your exposure quickly with your camera in particular, I would advise starting with the aperture prio mode and use both the exposure and aperture dials to control your settings quickly, this way you can be in control, but with metering assist, which will lower your chances to fuck up your shot.
>>
>>2981006
Go to manual mode and adjust the iso, aperture and shutter speed till you get a decent looking image. If it's too dark or too bright or something else you didn't want then keep adjusting.

Once you figure out all of that then go take photos and figure out why their good or bad. It's probably not because of the camera or liens that you're using btw

Glhf OP
>>
>buy fuji digi

kys
>>
>>2981006
Set camera to shutter or aperture priority, shoot. If the camera turns out to be stupid, get something else.
>>
>>2981049
whats wrong with it?
>>
>>2981006
Read Understanding Exposure from Bryan Peterson. You should find a few on torrent, that should explain the basics of the exposure triangle for you.
Have fun with your stuff but don't expect to have stunning photos right away. Learning to use the camera is the smallest part, learning to view the world in a different way takes a lot more time, experience and practice.
Don't give up, shoot a lot and sooner or later you will start having a few keepers.
>>
>>2981006
>everything above 60 creates a really dark image
Raise your iso and open your aperture. Look at the exposure meter.

>shutter speed equal, or higher than the focal length
For apsc x1.5
>>
>>2981081
>Look at the exposure meter
what is this exactly?
>>
>>2981006
>>2981082
Why did you buy a camera without having even the slightest idea of how exposure works?

>>2981020
Do this.
>>
>>2981006

redditors that respond in a serious way to such blatant troll threads should neck themselves.
>>
>>2981082
It displays your facebook likes.
>>
>>2981083
>Why did you buy a camera without having even the slightest idea of how exposure works?
i grasp the idea, how in the hell would i be able to appreciate the the fraction of seconds it takes to get a well lit image in a certain lighting before getting a camera?
>>
I love how you fucking idiots are telling OP to learn the encyclopaedia of photography yet all he needs to fucking do is reset the camera, read the manual and get his fucking advice from a place that isn't full of 16 year old cunts telling him to kill himself repeatedly.

Fuck.
>>
>>2981104
By doing a little over 10 minutes of research you cretin.
>>
Use the camera light meter as your guide. Shooting indoors, you'll want to bump up your ISO (sensitivity) or open up your aperture (to let more light in). However 1/4000 is a fairly fast shutter speed. The type that you'd use outside in daylight. Try and read up a little about exposure and the exposure triangle.
As for the camera being APS-C. The reciprocal rule kinda works in reverse for smaller sensors, so you want to be at 1/28 for an 18mm lens on APS-C. Round up to 1/30. You calculate from the equivalent focal length.
>>2981012
>that's a rule of thumb, and a bad one
Oy m8. It's time for you to stop posting. At least while you're calling out the reciprocal shutter speed rule. Yeah, you can go ahead and explain that sometimes people need to freeze motion but the truth is that it works, especially for longer focal lengths.
You don't want to be shooting 1/30 on an overcast day with ISO 100 film while shooting a medium format SLR with an 80mm lens handheld for example. The reciprocal rule works, but there are times when you can cheat it. Rules only become bad when you're bad enough to follow them indiscriminately like some numale who can't think for themselves.
>>2981105
>I love how you fucking idiots
>all he needs to fucking do is reset the camera
This is a great piece of satire. What the fuck will resetting the camera do if he's still in fucking manual mode? At worst, it'll just drop his ISO even lower.
>>2981020
>>2981083
These guys also confirmed as fucking retards. Second guy gets a pass if he only meant to read the manual.
>>
>>2981331
Because it'll reset whatever setting the previous owner had on his camera you stupid fucking cunt.

If the OP is smart enough to start from a clean slate, then he start fucking learning.

I can't believe I'm replying to this stupid of a fucking abortion of a human. Fuck sake mate.
>>
Aight mate
Here's a crash course

1. reset the camera

2. switch it to Aperture Priority (Av on the dial)
The setting you can now control is Aperture, or how much light gets in the lens. With lower numbers you get more light. This means you can shoot with higher shutter speeds and in lower light, and your depth of field will be thinner
Higher numbers will increase your depth of field but also require slower shutter speeds. On both extremes, you'll probably suffer some loss in sharpness; this is just how lenses work. Sharpest should be around f6 to f8. Choose your aperture based on the situation.

3. you'll also probably be able to manually change ISO. this is how sensitive your camera is to light. lower numbers mean less sensitivity. the higher the ISO, the higher shutter speeds you can shoot in low light, but you'll also have more noise.
choose ISO based on the lighting conditions. ISO 100 is perfect for sunny days, ISO 400 for overcast, ISO 800 for evenings, etc. it all depends on the environment and also your other settings–for example, you could shoot ISO 100 in less-than-sunny environments if your aperture is wide open and your shutter speed is slower. it's all about balancing these three settings.

4. now to understand shutter speed: the faster the shutter opens and closes (it's measured in seconds: 4, 2, 1, 1/2, 1/4 etc all the way to 1/16000 in some cases). the faster your shutter is, the less light reaches the sensor. slower speeds means movement can become blurred. for now, keep this setting on Auto (on the dial I guess A) and get comfortable with aperture and ISO

happy shooting
>>
>>2981331
the reciprocal rule sucks, especially for a beginner who's bad at stabilizing his camera. if you ride the reciprocal rule you'll get lots of blurry shots. if you spent less time shitposting here and more time taking pictures, you'd know this, you huge dumbass.
>>
File: k robs a store.jpg (182KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
k robs a store.jpg
182KB, 550x413px
I'm really kind of impressed, /p/. Any other board where some dipshit comes in asking the simplest fucking question that google could explain in 2 minutes would be responded with nothing but "READ THE FUCKING STICKY/GOOGLE IT YOU FUCKING MORON" but here is legitimate advice for a dumbass noob. Brings a tear to my eye.
>>
>>2981446
Most of it is shit, so it's less than nothing.
>>
>>2981451
lets see your work, faggot
>>
>>2981446
>really
>kind of

make up your mind
>>
>>2981472
No.
>>
>>2981446
That's because most newcomers ask what camera to buy, not how to use it.
We absolutely hate those people.
>>
You should be shooting in "P" mode which stands for pro mode.
>>
>>2981442
>if you ruide the reciprocal rule you'll get lots of blurry shots
That's the exact opposite of what it will do. It'll allow you to remove motion blur from camera shake (operator) by sticking to a shutter speed above your focal length. It won't solve motion blur with a subject moving, but that's why you learn about the exposure triangle and what shutter speed is.
There is no reason to not tell someone about this, especially when they are new. It will stop them forming bad habits such as thinking they can handhold 1/30 reliable, even with a 500mm lens.

If you spent less shitposting here and more time taking pictures, you'd know this.
Knowledge is power, knowing when your shutter speed needs to be higher right off the mark is a powerful tool.
>>
>>2981585
>that complete lack of reading comprehension
honestly you're too stupid to argue with. don't forget to breathe.
>>
>>2981600
>Talks about reading comprehension
>Doesn't use shift key at the start of a sentence
>too stupid to argue with
The ironing! I'm glad you took the time to explain exactly why the reciprocal rule is bad knowledge to have as a beginner and didn't just resort to posting a poorly worded insult.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.