[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bessa R series cameras

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: voigt_r2m_d.jpg (36KB, 508x389px) Image search: [Google]
voigt_r2m_d.jpg
36KB, 508x389px
Why does nobody talk about these things, they seems like a very good if not better alternative to owning a Leica ?
>>
>>2978812

welp, you just added a 30% price increase for that camera by mentioning it online and saying HUURR WHY CAMERA GUD NO FAMOUS.

THANK YOU FAGGOT I HOPE YOU MC FUCKING KILL YOURSELF.
>>
>>2978812
They do have a good following, but they have a number of noticeable differences to the Leica.

The most significant are the rangefinder base distance and the build quality. The rangefinder base distance is the distance between the rangefinder window and the viewfinder. See the little black box to the left of the white window? That's the rangefinder window. Now look where it is on a Leica M3. It's a lot farther away. The longer the distance of the rangefinder base, the easier (or more precise) the focusing is.

The build quality is also not quite up to Leica's standard. The body feels comparatively 'cheap' in the hand, and the shutter is quite loud.

All that said though, they're great cameras and a great way to start using M-mount lenses
>>
>>2978812
that's not an epson.
>>
>>2978812
A while back they were pretty popular on /p/, in fact, that's what prompted me to jump on the bandwagon. Still have my R3M with 40mm Nokton SC

They've been discontinued by Voigtlander, so they're not as cheap as they once were, but you can still find some models retailing for 800 usd brand new.

I like their unique, Japanese aesthetic. Not like holding a giant brass brick
>>
>>2978812
They're plastic M4/M7 alternatives.

Pretty reliable. Shutter is a like a quiet SLR (the body basically an FM10 body), but a little louder than a M with a cloth shutter.
>>
File: konica.jpg (317KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
konica.jpg
317KB, 750x1000px
>>2978812
GOAT fake leica coming through
if this thing had ttl flash metering it would be the ultimate m camera

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone SE
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width3024
Image Height4032
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:12:07 14:01:49
Exposure Time1/120 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating40
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness6.0 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width750
Image Height1000
RenderingUnknown
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: IMG_2711.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2711.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2978904
Welcome to the club bro. It's good shit

Equipment MakeApple
Camera ModeliPhone 6
Camera Software10.0.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)29 mm
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:15 11:44:14
Exposure Time1/20 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness0.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length4.15 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height2448
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2978833
Does the base distance actually make a noticeable difference will someone using a Bessa have more out of cows shots than someone with a Leica ?
>>
>>2978923
out of cow shots are not noticeable until you start playing with extremely thin depth-of-field
>>
>>2978923
Really depends on the lens you'll be using. If you're shooting a 28mm or a 35mm then the focus accuracy will probably be about the same, but when you start getting to longer focal length lenses like 90mm where the depth of field is much shorter it'll be harder to get spot on focus with the bessa.

If you're not using super fast or long focal length lenses then the Bessa will not be noticeably worse.
>>
>>2978833
>The body feels comparatively 'cheap' in the hand, and the shutter is quite loud.
The body feels absolutely fine tbqh, shutter is perfectly acceptable for a metal and not cloth shutter.
The body on a leica on the other hand is an ergonomic brass and zinc meme. Cloth shutter and 1/60x, 1/1000 shutter is pure meme territory.
>>2978904
>ultimate camera
>that tiny grip
>>
>>2979156
> that tiny grip

It's literally more grip than any other M-mount camera ever made, unless you pay 100 bucks for some shitty screw on bit.

The back of the camera has a raised thumb grip as well, which Leica doesn't have either.
>>
File: DSC02621.jpg (46KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02621.jpg
46KB, 800x532px
>>2978904
>GOAT fake leica coming through
Ah, here it is.
>>
>>2979401

viewfinder looks yuge.
>>
>>2979401
>silver

pig disgusting
>>
File: DSC02209.jpg (59KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02209.jpg
59KB, 1024x680px
>>2979409
that's because it is, bae.
>>2979418
for you
>>
>>2979426
>>2979401
would be perfect with 40 and 90 framelines
actually, i'd prefer it if they made 60mm m-mount lenses. I tried a 58mm lens and it's such a sweet field of view. everything felt so perfect
>>
>>2979432
>would prefer it if they gimped it to accomodate pleb garbage
Know how I know you're subhuman?
>>
>>2979439
Posts so shit, they're identifiable all over /p/. kys
>>
>>2979432
>60mm
wew, is that for you pussy assed fuccbois who don't know how to take another step closer?
>>
>>2979446
Are you having a stroke? You're shitting all over /p/.
>>
>>2978812
good alternative to Leica

>>2979401
Great alternative to Leica

both bodies have their pros and cons and are better than a lot of M bodies in some ways, but often feel much cheaper.
The biggest problem is that a lot of M film bodies are not much more expensive than these and much more pleasurable to use than the Bessa or Ikon.

unless Epson and Voightlander ever make a R-D2 with a FF sensor, or a FF Zeiss digital Ikon, there really is few reasons to use one of these over a leica. The major Pro s I can see is having a meter and a film door
>>
>>2980002
voigtlander provides things leica will never have
in a sense, they carved a niche within a niche

for example, 1x viewfinder with 40mm framelines on the R3
or viewfinder with 21m and 25mm framelines on the R4

you could minolta CLE for 40mm framelines too, but not 1x mag.
>>
l am kind of contemplating getting one. The other option would be Minolta CLE.
>>
>>2980002
>The biggest problem is that a lot of M film bodies are not much more expensive than these and much more pleasurable to use than the Bessa or Ikon.

This is the clincher right here.

I think that most people shooting a 35mm rangefinder in this day and age aren't doing it because it's the best type of camera for the job, they're doing it because they want "the Leica experience." It's all about muh brass brick, muh red dot, muh vintage Leica glass, etc. The Bessa is a better camera than any Leica that can be had for similar money, but it looks and feels more like a Fuji than a Leica and doesn't give you that "following in HCB's footsteps" feel that a Leica does.
>>
>>2980005
this is very true, i love the 1x finder and how bright it is but can never get over that shutter "Thwang!" vs the Leica "tlip". the M bodies also feel so good in the hand.

its kind of like holding a 1911 vs a Glock, the 1911 is just a classic and great in every way, even the ways where the Glock is better.
>>
>>2979432
>>2978812
Because the Leitz Minolta CLE exists and it is objectively the best Leica "Alternative"

28,40,90mm framelines
>>
>>2980064
Same feeling here. The shutter is really loud compared to the leica shutter and what bothers me most is that Bessa R have these stupid strap lugs that never let them hang completely vertical when no heavy lens is attached.
Still, the viewfinder is awesome in Bessa R, I have to admit this.
>>
I like the reassuring, plinky, metallic "click" of the shutter.

What I don't really like is the figety, somewhat low-contrast focusing patch and shorter base length.
>>
>>2980008
If you get a CLE/CL, be prepared to not use the meter or pay to get it fixed.
>>
>>2982532
And the adhesives used in the rangefinder mechanism have generally been failing.

At this point, I see them as an iffy purchase.
>>
>>2982592
Damn I knew about the meter, but this is the first time I'm hearing of the rangefinders shitting the bed.
I guess I'm getting a Bessa if I ever want an M mount camera.
>>
>>2982595
Leica M4 is you don't need an internal meter, Leica M6 if you do. You won't regret it.
>>
>>2978845
kek, I know a guy who's saving up for a used M9 because of the "Leicas are quiet for muh street photography" meme.
>>
>>2982605
Don't tell him about the shutter whatever you do.
>>
File: 140223221924.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
140223221924.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>2982605
Pic related is an all manual, all metal, german, coupled and parallax corrected rangefinder w/sharp 50mm, and a quieter shutter than any Leica, speeds 1-sec to 1/500 in stop increments all on the one dial, syncs at all speeds.
>leica btfo

>>
>>2982595
A Leica dealer friend tipped me to it and showed me two examples of the problem. He won't take them in anymore, and you really can't fix them.

I agree with >>2982604 insofar as you'll be able to have them repaired for a pretty long time and unless you fuck them up - they won't lose value. Buy an M4 for $800 and sell it for $800 when you're done.
>>
>>2982761
>Buy an M4 for $800 and sell it for $800 when you're done.

did they go up recently? the last M bodies I bought, $800 is getting into M3 territoriality, my M4 was $500
>>
>>2982772
M5 prices have gone up too.
>>
>>2982772
Really depends on condition.But I haven't seen the market go soft yet.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.