[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /p Look for some camera advice. I'm currently an APS-C

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

hi /p

Look for some camera advice. I'm currently an APS-C shooter (Nikon world) and looking to upgrade to full frame at an affordable price. I am doing this primarily for the reduced amount of noise associated with full frame cameras and overall better low light performance. I'm trying to decide between a Nikon D610 and Sony A7II. Both are roughly the same price (1400-1600). I'm mostly brand agnostic and have an open mind if you guys have alternative suggestions, though I'm not particularly interested in Canons as I don't like how their colors are processed in-camera and the overall lack of detail 1:1.

I mostly shoot:
Street (day & night)
Portraits
Landscapes
Boudoir

In that order.

My pro/cons list:

D610 Pros:
Fast DSLR focusing system
Dual memory card slots
Large lens selection

D610 Cons:
Shitty AF points all in the center
No IBIS
Meh video recording
Low native ISO

A7II Pros:
EVF
Mirrorless / discreet /
AF points spread across the entire frame
Fast AF for mirrorless
IBIS - fast stabilized primes for le cheap
High quality high bitrate video, modern codec

A7II Cons:
Only single memory card slot
AF hunts in AF-C mode
Dodgy RAW implementation
EVF

Thoughts?
>>
full frame is a meme, get a micro four thirds.
>>
>>2978092
Surely you jest.
>>
Budget?

Favourite focal lengths?

Boudoir shots?
>>
>>2978111
1400-1600 with a tiny bit of flex. If I stick with Nikon, I can keep my favorite FX lens - 50mm f/1.8G. Favorite focal lengths are 35 and 50mm.

Boudoir.
>>
>>2978091
Give the sony a week and you'll move evf into the pros list, being able to fluidly go from viewfinder to rear screen for composing has improved my creativity and workspeed immensely, it's raws are now perfectly normal and I've only had af-c hunt on adapted lenses.

I think the 55mm will look fantastic for boudoir with its soft, creamy bokeh and 3d pop, it's the first 50 to usurp my nikon 50mm f1.4, and i currently own 6 different 50 1.4's!
>>
>>2978091
>APS-C shooter (Nikon world)
Are you also a citizen of Autismland?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wM_5nROeaw
>>
>>2978308
No, I'm pointing this out because Canon's APS-C has a different crop factor than Nikon, assface.
>>
>>2978091
Do you actually need FF or just want a new gadget and have a false belief that it will somehow improve your photography?
A modern APS-C can do everything a FF can except a few niche applications.
Why not get a nice APS-C with pro AF and pro body features and spend the money you saved on good glass instead?
>>
>>2978467
It's a known thing that you get roughly half the noise with a full frame camera compared to APS-C. I tend to do a lot of shooting indoors and don't always have the ability to mount a speedlite, and in the evenings, so the lower noise performance of full frame would be nice to have.

I'm not too picky with lenses, to be honest. I'm more than happy having no more than 2-3 at any given time. One fast prime for portraits and low light, and a superzoom for everything else.
>>
>>2978091
just get the sony
/thread
>>
>>2978465
why couldnt you have said it like that in the first place?
>>
>>2978091
>>2978472
A7 II has the better lenses. Native [and adapted from Canon if you must].

> AF hunts in AF-C mode
Maybe with some Nikon lenses on some adapters? Certainly not the case in general.
>>
>>2978534
Because it's common knowledge?
>>
>>2978538
Thanks for the advice bro. I don't plan on doing any sort of adapting since there's always some kind of performance decrease by doing that. I saw a handful of YouTube videos where reviewers complained about the AF hunting especially in low light with moving subjects. I guess results vary?
>>
>>2978541
Oh, in *low enough* light it's normal that it hunts.

Because once PDAF no longer works (was it at around -1EV?) it will use CDAF (which works to like -3EV I think), and that by nature hunts some.

Thing is: There is also nothing really different about that on the DSLR, they also get slow and hunt in low light.
>>
>>2978541
>portraits
>landscapes
>boudoir

>portraits
>boudoir
How important is AF though? Senior pictures or active|sports portraits? If it's not the latter You can lower this on your list of priorities.
>>
>>2978554
I do a lot of street photography on top of all that, so fast AF to get in and out quickly is key. I could just manual/zone focus but I don't like the tradeoff in sharpness doing things that way.
>>
>>2978550 (cont'd)
By the way, Sony's CDAF has a good pace and high accuracy, as far as CDAF goes. [At least to these -3EV or so. At the limit of it basically entirely ceasing to work it of course gets shit with only locking on every third time.]

>>2978554 also has a point.

And I'll add that for portraits and boudoir, once CDAF too becomes annoying [which is like 0.5EV before it starts to be unworkable altogether] you should most definitely already be adding light or switch to a faster lens to not have the damn ISO noise.

>>2978564
> I do a lot of street photography on top of all that, so fast AF to get in and out quickly is key
Do you usually go for severe motion blur or extreme ISO noise shots?

Because PDAF will usually actually work slightly beyond to the point where you still can do these settings well.

> I could just manual/zone focus but I don't like the tradeoff in sharpness doing things that way.
I guess if your DoF is already very shallow from using a f/1.4 lens at close distance or such... but otherwise it's actually not hard at all to hit well with focus peaking and focus magnification. You probably didn't have this before because most DSLR don't implement it, but it's a great help when doing MF.
>>
>>2978570
Not him but peaking changed my life. Sometimes I feel better off with that than relying on AF. And if I have the luxury of time MF and magnification makes worlds of difference.
>>
>>2978570
>Do you usually go for severe motion blur or extreme ISO noise shots?
I usually try to aim for a shutter speed between 320-400 because I'm not into the blur. Sometimes I'm walking past my subject or walking along with them and don't have an opportunity to stop and take my time.

>I guess if your DoF is already very shallow from using a f/1.4 lens at close distance or such... but otherwise it's actually not hard at all to hit well with focus peaking and focus magnification. You probably didn't have this before because most DSLR don't implement it, but it's a great help when doing MF.
When I do street, I actually stick around f/8 or 5.6. I like the classic street photography focal length. Sometimes I'll do portraits but generally at f/2.8 or higher because I only have one shot to get it right. Does focus peaking show up in the EVF?
>>
>>2978576
Ya, I also noticed I can use this more easily and in more situations than I used a split prism or anything else like that back then. Works really well.

>>2978578
>I usually try to aim for a shutter speed between 320-400 because I'm not into the blur
And if you can do this without severe ISO noise, you probably still have your PDAF.

It's not the hottest PDAF (Sony has like 4 cameras now with better one), but it easily will do for walking people in most instances.

> When I do street, I actually stick around f/8 or 5.6. I like the classic street photography focal length.
That's usually very easy then.

> Does focus peaking show up in the EVF?
Yep. Always turns on with any lens that doesn't have electronics or when you're doing MF in any way, unless you set it not to. Will show up in both the EVF and on the back screen.
>>
>>2978578
>When I do street, I actually stick around f/8 or 5.6. I like the classic street photography focal length.

Are you using a fast lens? Even if you're shooting F/5.6 or smaller it's wide open on AF. If you're using a fast lens it could have focus shift, a not to uncommon problem with lenses faster than F/2.

If you get a Sony there's a setting called "Live view display: Setting effect on/off" that toggles wither the aperture is wide open or at the setting you choose, among other things.

>Does focus peaking show up in the EVF?
Yes
>>
>>2978584
>Are you using a fast lens? Even if you're shooting F/5.6 or smaller it's wide open on AF. If you're using a fast lens it could have focus shift, a not to uncommon problem with lenses faster than F/2.
At the moment I'm using a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G. If I switch to Sony, I'll get the FE mount equivalent.
>>
>>2978586
Not the 55mm f/1.8 ZA?
>>
>>2978593
$200 versus $1000. Is the price difference really, really worth it?
>>
>>2978598
Never, if you're just shooting street.
>>
>>2978598
~$290 vs ~$800 here.

At f/1.8-f/4 they're very far apart, and even beyond that, it's still a good difference.

If you ask me, it's easily worth it on FF Sony - YMMV.
>>
>>2978602
Unless it's a known dog it's always worth it. It's when you get past the 2k range (excluding super teles) do the improvements diminish
>>
>>2978091
First of all, there's a containement thread >>2976245

Second, acquire lenses, or a tripod, or a flash.

Third, it's unprocessed Nikon colors that are atrocious.
>>
unless you want to carry 10 spare batteries or have a power bank in your pocket at all times, go for the nikon. this is of course if you travel a lot or spend hours shooting at a time.

>Shitty AF points all in the center
learn how to AF and recompose

>Low native ISO
when do you need more than 6400? even that is a mad stretch. fast prime will negate this issue

>Meh video recording
if this is important to you, maybe a used 5D mkIII would be good.

>No IBIS
using old lenses is a bit of a meme, they aren't designed for modern-day sensors

don't bother using FX lenses on full-frame, might as well upgrade to another crop if you want to keep using it that much
>>
>>2978091
>Fast AF for mirrorless
lol

>A7II Cons:
>Only single memory card slot
>AF hunts in AF-C mode
>Dodgy RAW implementation
>EVF

A7II Cons part 2:
shit battery life
poor lens selection
Fast AF for mirrorless
pooly balanced when coupled with anything larger than a pancake lens
retarded menus
weekly upgrades
lol customer service
all hype little substance
moopco
>>
>>2978091
D750?
>>
>>2978091
the nikon is the obvious answer, only get the sony if you're gonna shoot a lot of video
>>
The Sony is the obvious answer, only get a Nikon if you are in the wild on foot for weeks at a time.

Before that the A7 II is lighter (including native glass) and better.
>>
I want to piggy back off of this thread. Just starting out. I got a drone a while back and started to really dig some of the shots I took. I'd really like to start capturing memories and get into proper photography and not just cellphone snapshots.

I was looking at the Nikon D5300 because of the sales going on right now.

I mainly want a camera than can outperform my Galaxy S7 and won't crash into a building because of overconfidence. Would this be an okay move for $600 if it comes with a bunch of accessories and an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II AF-S DX NIKKOR Zoom Lens?

Or should I get a D3400 dual lens kit instead?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.