[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Camera

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: camera-sm.jpg (574KB, 999x799px) Image search: [Google]
camera-sm.jpg
574KB, 999x799px
Do any of you build cameras?

I'm currently prototyping a handheld 4x5. I've got a 90mm lens that covers 4x5. The lens is attached to a m42 focusing helicoid, but it looks like the helicoid is giving me some vignetting.

Do you know of any sources of helicoids that have a larger diameter than the m42 helicoids but aren't super expensive?
>>
File: 002702-sm.jpg (485KB, 999x799px) Image search: [Google]
002702-sm.jpg
485KB, 999x799px
[2/3]
>>
File: camera-test-sm.jpg (780KB, 999x799px) Image search: [Google]
camera-test-sm.jpg
780KB, 999x799px
[3/3]
>>
Cool, how hard/expensive is it?
>>
>>2978081
The planning is the hard part of this kind of build. I'm going to probably put some plans together when I'm done. The lens is maybe $40, helicoids for m42 maybe $20. Everything else, at least for the prototype is black foamcore and electrical tape.
>>
Have you considered building bellows into your next one? How would a different helicoid reduce vignetting? Are you sure the lens covers 4x5 at infinity?
>>
File: polaroid.jpg (243KB, 1000x834px) Image search: [Google]
polaroid.jpg
243KB, 1000x834px
I love DIY cameras. I'm still working on this Polaroid Pathfinder 110A/B that I converted to shoot Instax. I'm trying to resist the urge to pick up another one to put a graflok 4x5 back on. Handheld 4x5 anyone?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX-Pro1
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)27 mm
Maker Note Version0130
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:12:05 20:52:58
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Brightness0.2 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length18.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height834
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationNormal
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOff
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeManual Exposure
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
building a sophisticated bellows system seems like a pain in the ass
I mean your cardboard box is neat and all but i'd really want something to scheimpflug with if I was gonna spend money on 4x5 film
>>
I haven't but I'm thinking of building an ultrawide MF camera (so I can just use an external finder & scale focus) using 3D printing and shutter/light meter using an Arduino. We'll see.
>>
>>2978120
I don't want to use a bellows because I want the camera to be as easy to build as possible. Bellows means rack and pinion etc.

Yes the lens covers 4x5 at infinity. It's a pretty standard Schneider-Kreuznach Angulon 90mm f6.8.
>>
>>2978231
The final version will be built out of laser-cut-plywood.

Shrug, 4x5 isn't that expensive because I end up shooting a lot fewer frames of it.
>>
>>2978408
I have thought about building MF cameras, but building film transports and a pressure plate is just more of a pain in the ass than dealing with 4x5. With 4x5 you just stick the film to the back of the camera.
>>
>>2978057
>building a film camera
even a hobo can do that.
>>
>>2978494
I'd love to see some hobo-cameras.
>>
File: miroslav_tichy.jpg (356KB, 460x686px) Image search: [Google]
miroslav_tichy.jpg
356KB, 460x686px
>>2978497
Ask and you shall receive
>>
File: miroslav_tichy2.jpg (187KB, 710x410px) Image search: [Google]
miroslav_tichy2.jpg
187KB, 710x410px
>>2978497
>>2978503
>>
File: Front_view_5in.jpg (17KB, 307x256px) Image search: [Google]
Front_view_5in.jpg
17KB, 307x256px
>>2978497
Bostick and Sullivan used to sell one called "The Hobo". Some kook took it to the next level with 11x14
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/hand-held-11x14.html

>>2978057
try to get a medium format helicoid, should have more room for image circle projection. If you're willing to sacrifice a 4x5 holder, cut one up and make a ground glass viewer out of tracing paper. Try to get the lens to sit at infinity at the top of your cone and use the helicoid to focus nearer than that (looks like you did but just in case). I would add a bubble level (http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/86444551?mkwid=txg6YEZy&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test&gclid=CPnZ37Tv39ACFZWCswodpZ8BNA) would do the trick. just glue them on.
>>
>>2978505
His photos are surprisingly nice. One of the articles said that he ground his own lenses. That's totally insane.
>>
File: H1007-L83545564.jpg (141KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
H1007-L83545564.jpg
141KB, 750x500px
>>2978505
it should be noted that this guy wasnt your regular hobo. the guy went to art school
>>
>>2978537
Not really worth noting, I guarantee a lot of hobos went to school and got a degree.
>>
>>2978511
Yeah I need to find a medium format helicoid. I've already cut up a film holder for doing tintypes, for this camera I've been using it as a makeshift ground glass.
>>
>>2978057
I was thinking about building a legit 4x5 camera but I looked for information online and found almost nothing about building a camera
>>
>>2978599
There's a bunch of information out there. You might start here: https://jongrepstad.com/building-a-large-format-camera/camera-builders/

I've built a couple of 4x5 cameras at this point. Ask some questions if you have any.
>>
>>2978642
thanks anon, you're one of the only helpful people I've met on /p/
>>
Sort of. Built one out of a flatbed scanner ... just tossed it in the trash an hour ago. It was sitting around for a few years and had a good layer of dust on it, enough that you could probably just peel it off like a sheet of felt. Always wanted to revisit the thing, but figured I should just rebuild when that time comes.
>>
>>2979037
I built a flatbed scanner camera years back. Got some interesting photos, but man it was a lot of work to make it happen in the field.

I've been lusting after a Better Light back for years.
>>
>>2979085
Tried taking mine out to the park once, cumbersome even hooked up to my netbook. But it was too damn bright and I was trying to shoot things too far away. Up to then I had only shot things indoors.

One thing I always wanted to do was when the local cosplayers do some steampunk shoot. It would've been a weirdly fitting camera to try and shoot it with.

If I build another one, I'm thinking I can run it from a tablet computer to make things more portable.
>but why not just use the tablet's camera
yeah, stfu
>>
>>2978599
literally google the words "4x5 diy"

>>2978709
if you want people to help you out, stop asking stupid questions
>>
built myself an 8x10 ill eventuality start rebuilding it to be lighter and easier to focus. im shooting xray film and almost doing successful carbon prints.
>>
>>2982279
That's cool and all, but what part of building it yourself with floorboards and brand spanking bellows was cheaper/easier/more usable than just buying a used one that started life as an actual camera?
>>
>>2978537
>the guy went to art school
Sounds like the average hobo to me
Also he mostly covered a normal camera with strings and junk to look like shit as a disguise
>>
>>2982279
>>2982302
>>2978057
Nice! The LF community is very small here but it actually produced a DIY camera maker who managed to go worldwide. Look up Argentum Cameras (especially take a look at the portable camera obscura)
I say take good pride in your works and try doing it as precise as you can, there is definitely enough need worldwide to get it out of the shed even as just a hobby.
>>
>>2982302
excluding the lens and film holders the camera probably cost less than $150 to build. the bellows were used, i think they were like $80. finding a 8x10 in Australia for that price is not going to happen... cheaper cameras from overseas arent worth it because of postage being more expensive than the actual camera and ehh it works and i built is so thats good enough for me
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.