[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literally shaking....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: 4L_K00RgTWI.jpg (291KB, 620x385px) Image search: [Google]
4L_K00RgTWI.jpg
291KB, 620x385px
Younger brother just bought a DSLR cause he wants to get into photography.

>gets a canon SL1 (rebel) with kit lens
>takes a few pics
>I look at them
>they're sharper, have better colors, and overall look nicer than anything I currently take
>older 50D with a 50mm 1.4 is what I have

How to tell if my camera body is too old and needs to be updated? Maybe it's a fluke with the focus? Fuck.
>>
>>2972624
>he didn't buy a rebel

Ahahaha
>>
Is it possible that the SL1 is geared more towards JPEGs whereas maybe the 50D is meant to be shot in RAW and then processed?

Also did he shoot it in one of the auto modes? Are you shooting manually?
>>
>>2972624
Just bought my Rebel T5 for a steal. I guess you'll just have a shittier camera senpai
>>
>>2972624

First of all, RTFM. If you have any questions regarding making 50D to record samish photos as SL1 does post them.
>>
>>2972624

I mean, take both cameras and take two photos with exactly the same frame and same objective, then we'd talk.

inb4 focus miscalibration
>>
>>2972624
Doesn't the SL1 have an integrated ADC?
>>
>>2972646
No, just ACDC
>>
File: DDDD.jpg (115KB, 827x539px) Image search: [Google]
DDDD.jpg
115KB, 827x539px
>>2972624
Both sensors have almost the same score.

Probably your brother shoot in auto mode. And the auto mode set up the camera better than what you tried on manual mode.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:11:27 02:27:39
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width827
Image Height539
>>
>>2972640
I would bet he is dumb and is always shooting with the lens wide open.
>>
>>2972703
Aperture has nothing to do with it
>>
>>2972716
>aperture has nothing to do with sharpness
>>
>>2972700
>overall score
>>
>>2972736
Aperture has do with focal length. ISO is for sharpness. You buffoon.
>>
>>2972758
how can you not spot bait of this magnitude

come on now
>>
File: bait.jpg (36KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
36KB, 625x626px
>>
File: 1476479078320.png (115KB, 419x449px) Image search: [Google]
1476479078320.png
115KB, 419x449px
>>2972716
>>2972757
>>
I don't care what anybody says, but the 50D is still a great camera, and more than capable of excellent images. Stop being a whiny gearfag, and concentrate on your skills.
>>
>>2972624
Both cameras are relatively shit.

But maybe it's the lens.
>>
>>2972624
I have experience with both cameras.
Sensor in SL1 is a tiny bit sharper then the one in 50D, but the difference is negligable. Unless you are shooting wide open with that 50mm lens you should get a sharper image with 50D then he can with a kit lens on SL1. Try the same test again. Shoot RAW, not Jpeg, use a tripod, put the same ISO on both cameras, same focal distance, set aperture on both cameras to f/5.6. First try autofocus, if the image is less sharp on 50D, you have a problem. If that's the case use live view and manually focus the lens to optimum sharpness. If it's better then, your camera or lens have front or back focys issues. If its still softer, something is seriously wrong, it could be a lot of things.
>>
>>2972624
it's probably because he's shooting in JPEG and you're so horrendously terrible at Lightroom that his in-camera JPEG engine is better at processing raw files than you are.
>>
File: 2403.jpg (110KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
2403.jpg
110KB, 850x850px
This thread just sums up the moronic gear faggotry of /pee/. Nobody so far has suggested that the reason OP's photos are inferior to his chad brother's is because OP's technique is shit.

Here's the red pill. Both cameras are virtually the same in the grand scheme of things, your brother is just a naturally better photographer than you are, and no amount of gearfagging will get away from that.

Just sell your 50d and find a new hobby.
>>
>>2973193
I admit defeat at his hands. But seriously, there's something "wrong" about the focus on my 50d.

>will look into focus micro adjustments, thanks
>>
>>2972716
>>2972757
holy fucking shit

No dude, shooting wide open always damages sharpness, even at the focal point (btw you mean depth of field, not focal length). Closing up the aperture improves sharpness at the cost of diffraction. Somewhere in the middle is a sweet spot of sorts (depending on your lens ofc).

Come on now kiddo I've been photogging for like two months and even I've figured that much out.
>>
>>2972757
Oh also, ISO for sharpness? For real? ISO is just a sensitivity setting. Too much sensitivity and you're just picking up noise in the sensor. Nothing to do with sharpness.
>>
>>2974327
Have you set the diopter?
>>
>>2974419
Diopter has nothing to do with AF precision.

>>2974410
Due to the quantum properties of light the higher the ISO setting is the more uncertainty contained in light itself gets amplified hence you lose sharpness. This is why it doesn't matter if you shoot wide open on a very fast lens in low light, the loss of sharpness from the lens wide open matches the sharpness or rather uncertainty of captured light on the sensor. Or film.
>>
>>2974437
More to elaborate on photon noise or uncertainty.
The more light you have the less prominent the sporadicity becomes and the detail or CoC becomes apparent. With less light you will see more of the sporadicity around the intended CoC. And it gets amplified by ISO which is driven by the light meter detecting less amount of light. ISO is not affected directly but you can't do much about it other than getting more light (use a flash)
So now you know the gain amplifies two kinds of noise at the same time, photon and electric noise.

Although we don't speak of "amount" with light because no base standard. The "amount" of light from a standard size candle from X distance (cd) is not a standard.
>>
>>2972624
your brother has natural talent for photography.
even if you buy 5d mk iv, i bet your photos will still suck compared to your brother's sl1+kit :-)
>>
>>2972624
50d is fine, 50 1.4 is garbage
>>
>>2972757
you are absolutely retarded
>>
>>2972848
Agreed. I have, among other cameras, a 20D, and its awesome
>>
>>2975348
I like it a ton, and I hope I can fix whatever is ailing it regarding focus
>>
>>2975711
try a different lens
>>
>>2973193
I think I've seen this guy perform
great barbershop singer
>>
>>2975352
Me too, still use it from time to time, nice files, good little camera.
>>
>>2972757

10/10 bait
>>
>>2972624
Maybe you're just bad.
>>
>>2972772
>>2974409
>>2974410
>>2975350

get my board u faglets.
>>
>>2972635
i shoot all my pics with a t5 i love it.
>>
>>2972757
>iso has to do with sharpness

No. It deals with noise. Sharpness refers to how clear the lens renders the image.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.