[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good budget waterproof cameras?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 16

File: 64578-nikon-coolpix-box.jpg (12KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
64578-nikon-coolpix-box.jpg
12KB, 300x186px
What are some good budget waterproof cameras?
>>
File: 20160903_184114.jpg (413KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
20160903_184114.jpg
413KB, 1000x563px
Pentax kS2

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment Makesamsung
Camera ModelSM-N910T3
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5312
Image Height2988
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:09:03 19:10:53
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Focal Length4.60 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1000
Image Height563
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeNight Scene
Unique Image IDH16ULHK02SA
>>
I got the fuji one, xp80, last year; sufficient for the beach holiday I took with friends.

It was good enough for a week's worth snapshits and vids on a boat, on the sandy sand that would've fucked my other shit up and of course in the actual water.

Didn't feel the need to spend much on something I would probably never use again. I've used it once more in water (pool) and a few times streetsnapshitting just because it was sitting there, charged and unused for so long.

If you actually want something decent then look at the olympus one.
>>
>>2971569
How was the picture quality on that fuji one?
>>
>>2971555
the new rebel is waterproof
>>
File: compactcollection.jpg (300KB, 1258x800px) Image search: [Google]
compactcollection.jpg
300KB, 1258x800px
>>2971555
Fuji HD-M

Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.8.14
Horizontal Resolution350 dpi
Vertical Resolution350 dpi
Image Width1258
Image Height800
>>
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIYNUXO
No LCD but would I fair better with using this instead of a normal camera?
>>
what's budget?

Mine's about 400 euro clams and I've been looking for something similar, with raw and waterproof for 100ft/30m. Didn't find one then, but haven't been looking what's available recently, anyone want to spoon feed me if there is something that fits those specs?
>>
>>2971912

Olympus TG-3, whatever one has the f2.0 lens. The sensor in the TG-680 is abysmal at even lower ISOs but it has the flippy screen which is nice you don't have to have it up to your eye when you're shooting. The 680 and 670 do HD video very well, if it weren't for the crap sensor it would be breddy gud.

Honestly I got the best results from an old Canon S50 and the Canon waterproof case made for it. They use batteries from the old Canon Rebel so you will want to replace them it's an old camera. They are 5mp which is nice because ISO 100 is almost DSLR quality because there is next to no pixel pitch and on the wide end it's f2.8. It also has full manual controls too. It shoots RAW too, the TG-680s and most of the sun-300 euro cams don't. You can probably buy the whole setup for less than 200 euro and shit all over the new cams in the image quality department if you don't mind 5mp of resolution.
>>
>>2971914

Thanks for quick reply!

I had a look at the Olympus offerings, but the waterproofing are rated 50ft/15m.
I'm looking at something that I can use to go deeper as I like to dive occasionally and when I do it's almost always a bit deeper than that.

I'll look into the waterproof cases and compact combos later. Last time I looked into it was for a dslr and the price for a case from something like Ikelite was too much for random recreational diving.
>>
>>2971921

The Canon housing for that S50 is rated much higher I believe. Also if you lose it underwater the case will float it to the top.
>>
File: C1-02.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
C1-02.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>2971555
It's an impossible mission. Water has a shitty feature that it makes everything monochromatic. It sucks away all the other colours than blue and makes everything bland and flat.
To shoot something close to you you need off-camera flashes, meaning strobe arms.
To shoot landscapes you need a wide angle lens (basically you can't go too wide) as you want the amount of water between your lens and the subject to be as small as possible, a tele is no good underwater, invest in the camera that has the shortest focal length as possible.

If you want to have good photos underwater and use natural light you want to be as close to the surface as possible. There you will have both light and colours. In the Baltic where I dive the max depth is around 2m, and there you get already a heavy green cast (murky waters so no blue light here) and lack of reds.

Shoot against the light. Wait for the afternoon. Stay shallow.

Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
>>
I've got the AW130, I think it's definitely the best value. Sharp lens, best depth rating, and best GPS support. Using it remotely is neat too. TG-4 is nice but I don't think it's worth it to pay almost twice as much just to get raw support. I really liked the Ricoh WG series but after using them they were too fucking slow and the interface was awful.
>>
File: IMG_1786.jpg (551KB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1786.jpg
551KB, 3648x2736px
>>2973948
is right, going deeper than ~20ft will make everything look blue, but that can be solved in post by adjusting the white balance, so get a camera that can shoot in raw. There's no "waterproof" camera like the TG-3/4 that will be good down to depths you'll actually go diving, so plan on buying an underwater case. Find a used S100 that'll shoot raw and be compact in the case.
This is a good investment because when you're ready to upgrade your underwater photos you'll get much more benefit from getting better lighting rigs than upgrading cameras.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G12
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee
Maximum Lens Aperturef/3.5
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size6.10 - 30.50 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2015:10:29 18:55:14
Exposure Time1/60 sec
F-Numberf/3.5
ISO Speed Rating125
Lens Aperturef/3.5
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashFlash, Auto, Red-Eye Reduce
Focal Length15.67 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeProgram
Focus TypeClose-Up (Macro Mode)
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeRed-Eye Reduction (Auto)
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeMacro
Subject Distance0.200 m
White BalanceUnderwater
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed170
Image Number119-1786
>>
File: test.jpg (10KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
10KB, 600x400px
>>2974225
I have to disagree. When you loose the reds, and later the other colours than blue you can not get them back as there is no way of knowing how red what is. When there was none there is no way to correct it, certain bandwidths just starts to disappear.

Basic shit here:
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-lighting-fundamentals

Aaaand I'm a man of science:
http://wrjdeoa.aslo.net/lo/toc/vol_4/issue_1/0102.pdf
>>
I really hate to be the guy that tells people to spend outside of their budget, but If you know you'll get decent use out of it, from personal experience you are infinitely better off saving a bit more and getting a reasonably nice point and shoot. preferably one with good ISO performance, then go out and get a matching marine case (check out ikelite) Costs quite a bit more, but the results are never disappointing
>>
File: IMG_2080.jpg (559KB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2080.jpg
559KB, 3648x2736px
>>2974371
So this is very interesting to me. If all the reds are gone at 15 feet, then how did I get reds in this photo? I'm at at LEAST 25 ft here and there's no way the flash on my G12 had enough power, so what's going on?

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon PowerShot G12
Camera SoftwareRawTherapee
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Lens Size6.10 - 30.50 mm
Firmware VersionFirmware Version 1.00
Image Width3648
Image Height2736
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2015:11:03 19:10:57
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
ISO Speed Rating80
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashNo Flash, Auto
Focal Length18.10 mm
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Exposure ModeProgram
Focus TypeAuto
Metering ModeEvaluative
SharpnessNormal
SaturationNormal
ContrastNormal
Shooting ModeManual
Image SizeLarge
Focus ModeSingle
Drive ModeSingle
Flash ModeRed-Eye Reduction (Auto)
Compression SettingFine
Macro ModeNormal
Subject Distance2.310 m
White BalanceUnderwater
Exposure Compensation3
Sensor ISO Speed149
Image Number120-2080
>>
Not OP but I was considering getting the Nikonos V. Any experience with this one?

My other option would be casing for my Ricoh GR II, but not sure if there any good ones out there and how much I trust them to not leak desu
>>
File: Curves.jpg (720KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Curves.jpg
720KB, 1000x750px
>>2974418
Curves, maybe white balance can go far enough if you shot raw.

Different guy though, maybe scienceboy has some math for you but I'm doubtful, seems like you'd need to know the white balance / light color and other calibrations beforehand.
>>
File: WB.jpg (700KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
WB.jpg
700KB, 1000x750px
>>2974469
Yeah there's enough info for white balance, ignore the bad curves.

I set the white bit of the turtle's neck as white, figure that's the best source.
>>
File: Idea.png (215KB, 1087x708px) Image search: [Google]
Idea.png
215KB, 1087x708px
>>2974476
I thought that since everything in the distance will be really blue that I could use Channel Mixer to make a low quality depth mask of sorts and use it as a mask for a white balance targeting the diver's flipper.
>>
File: Not-great.jpg (696KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Not-great.jpg
696KB, 1000x750px
>>2974482
But their suit turned out a little purple. Maybe there's something to it but with a JPEG it probably won't happen too well.
>>
>>2971572
Good enough for watery snapshits whilst dicking about with friends.

Keep in mind the old standard p&s sensor size it has.

I don't think any toughcam has a 1" sensor yet.
>>
>>2974476
>>2974482
>>2974483
Awesome, I'm gonna see if I can mimic these in RawTherapee.
I've heard other underwater photographers talk about bringing a white slate as a reference and adjusting custom white balance whenever they change depth, but never tried it.
>>
File: Parrotfish.jpg (524KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Parrotfish.jpg
524KB, 800x533px
>>2974455
I shoot with a V. As has already been mentioned in this thread, colors go to shit real fast and with film it's even harder to pull them back to normal. I wouldn't recommend shooting with a Nikonos if you plan to do color unless you aren't diving that deep or if you plan to use strobes.

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Image Width3400
Image Height2279
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2011:08:22 19:13:17
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width800
Image Height533
>>
File: Turtle4.jpg (281KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Turtle4.jpg
281KB, 800x533px
If you want to get artsy and shoot black and white a la Wayne Levin, the Nikonos would be a good, affordable choice. I plan to only shoot b/w in mine from now on.

Image Width4437
Image Height2815
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2011:08:12 23:44:01
Image Width800
Image Height533
>>
>>2974781
>>2974783
thanks for the reply. I am gonna be doing the Open Water Diver, so around 12-18m max I think, plus some surface snorkeling as well. What kind of film do you normally use? Do I need some ultra sensitive stuff like Delta 3200?
>>
File: Turtle.jpg (329KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
Turtle.jpg
329KB, 800x533px
>>2975632
>What kind of film do you normally use? Do I need some ultra sensitive stuff like Delta 3200?

I typically shoot 400ISO. Grab some Tri-x, HP5, or whatever and rate it 400-800ISO and you should be golden (assuming it's a sunny day).

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image Created2011:08:09 19:10:08
Image Width800
Image Height533
>>
File: YellowtailSchool.jpg (602KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
YellowtailSchool.jpg
602KB, 800x533px
Also, forgive the scan quality. These were scanned on an absolutely trash scanner.

Image Width3407
Image Height2232
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image Created2011:08:22 19:55:32
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width800
Image Height533
>>
>>2975669
>>2975670
thanks for all the answers m8! One last question: What lens are you using with the V? I heard the 35mm might be a bit too narrow/slow
>>
File: PeteClimbingTree.jpg (547KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
PeteClimbingTree.jpg
547KB, 800x504px
>>2975681
I only have the 35mm. My main reason for going with it is because it can be used above and below water. Only the 35mm and 80mm can be used above water. The rest of the lens lineup is optimized for underwater usage so they don't work above water.

The 35mm felt fine in my opinion. Never really felt the need for a wider lens, though depending what you're wanting to shoot maybe the wider lenses would be worth looking at. If you're wanting to go really wide the Sea and Surf 15mm is the lens to go for.

Pic related: using the 35mm above water

Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 Windows
Horizontal Resolution2400 dpi
Vertical Resolution2400 dpi
Image Created2011:07:27 14:15:40
Image Width800
Image Height504
>>
>>2975683
oh I didn't know that, gonna try to find one with the 35mm as well then thanks
>>
Here's the setup I went with for underwater shooting:

1. Sony NEX C3 + 18mm pancake. This ran me on the order of $300 used through keh.com
2. Underwater hard case for the same. Amazon has the Polaroid-branded underwater housing for it for $129.99, and it's lasted me a few years years and multiple underwater shoots so far (most of them in salt water).

Results are decent. Better than I'd get shooting film, better than I'd get with a point & shoot and underwater housing.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.