[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

yet another filter thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: nano._.jpg (8KB, 300x184px) Image search: [Google]
nano._.jpg
8KB, 300x184px
hello

too bored of reading bullshit on blogs, uv filters take away sharpness, they don't, they do but you don't notice, filters aren't needed anymore, they are, look at my smashed front element, they're needed only if you pee on you lens during a sandstorm, etc

so I've bought a b+w xs-pro clear just out of curiosity to "protect" a Nikon 50mm prime but after a day of shooting it seems to pick up more smudges and dirt than the lens itself and now I have three glass elements to clean (lens and both sides of the filter) instead of one.

should I return it?

what's your take on filters?
>>
File: shitkicker.png (36KB, 2557x1739px) Image search: [Google]
shitkicker.png
36KB, 2557x1739px
I used a filter once and killed m yself same day

>pickrelated.net
>>
>>2969346
I take a lot of sunshits and a filtered lens is practically unuseable for a lot of those shots. UV filters turn your camera into a flare machine. but in more typical conditions it really doesn't make a difference.
>>
>>2969346
why are you cleaning anything else except the outermost surface of the Hitler?

Anyway, not much point with filters for digital, save CPL and ND. If you use film, then UV or color filters can come in handy.

Use one for "protection" if it helps you put your mind at ease so you can concentrate on the shooting. Shit quality ones will give flares easily, but better MC ones are seldom an issue in day-to-day shooting unless you point your camera straight into the sun, as >>2969353 noted.
>>
>>2969346
I'm primarily a film shooter. I never use filters aside from cirpol for landscapes and a blue filter for weeaboo toy photos. The reason is mainly that they indeed seem to gather much more dirt than the lens element itself, and are prone of causing flare, and I've noticed no positive effect from using UVs or Skylights anyway. I used to use a UV filter for protection when shooting in some pretty hazardous conditions, but such shoots sent my Minolta into an early grave regardless.
>>
It's been a while since I went shopping for ND/polarization filters.. And now I see prices of like 150usd.

What the fuck happened and is it actually worth it?
>>
>>2970315
ND filters, yes. Polarization filters? No.

With ND filters, the more stops it blocks the more there's a colour cast. More expensive filters usually have less red/magenta casts. Tho at a certain point you're fucked anyway.
It's invaluable for film desu, and you don't know you need an ND filter for flash work until you do.
>>
>>2970332
Oh, would have no idea of that until I got one and found out by myself, thanks.

Any reason the expensive pol-filters aren't worth it?
>>
>>2970332
Thinking about getting the Hoya 3-400 variable ND filter (for video). It costs €75 is it too cheap or am I going to get decent results?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.