[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I learn color? I see people talking about things like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: color-calibration.jpg (46KB, 388x258px) Image search: [Google]
color-calibration.jpg
46KB, 388x258px
How do I learn color?

I see people talking about things like sRGB and Adobe RGB coverage and display calibration and whatnot but when I look at images I can't tell what's wrong with the color unless it's way off. Like I saw someone complain that an image had unnatural skin tones but I didn't see it. I can look at an image on different screens and even though I see that it looks slightly different I can't tell which version is the "good" one. When I edit my photos I just play around with the sliders until I like it. But I don't know if what looks good to me looks good to someone else.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D90
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS5 Windows
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.7
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern818
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)157 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2012:05:04 13:35:37
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Subject Distance1.68 m
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length105.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width388
Image Height258
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlNone
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessHard
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
Well first of all http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk If you can do this you can learn color.

I'm not sure if you can train your hue acuity though, it might be one of those things that has to happen when you're a wee bab.

Beyond that, learn by reference and by doing. I think we all started with atrocious colors and over time just refined our palette.
>>
Calibrate your display and get used to looking at well colored images a lot. Only then you'll begin noticing which images are off and by how much.
>>
>>2966627
I got 11, what did everyone else get?
>>
>>2966649
Last few times I took it I got 0, I'm scared to take it again in case I do worse.
>>
>>2966627
That's a dumb test, it depends on how your monitor is calibrated, if I crank the vibrance on my monitor, it becomes ridiculously easy.
>>
>>2966654
>It's easy if you cheat
Then don't do that dummy
>>
>>2966638
How do I know which are well colored in the first place?

Also how good should my display be before I can even start learning about color?
>>
>>2966654
>>2966658
actually it does not become easy, because it is about to sort by hue, not by saturation or luminanz. and to recognize which the natural order within a hue value is, is a brain capability you cannot trick by raising saturation. make the test, you'll be surprised.

the only way to cheat is to measure the hue value and display a gradient position.
>>
>>2966627
>141

wew lad, I guess B&W it is for me
>>
>>2966675
>Also how good should my display be before I can even start learning about color?

any ips panel and colour calibration hardware will do better than getting an expensive "good" monitor.

A second hand older generation spyder go as low as $30, personally I spent a bit more on a new one because it's something that should easily last 5 years or more if monitors don't have any drastic changes that render it unsuitable. and it automatically adjusts my monitors brightness depending on ambient light.

And IPS is in another league compared to tn when it comes to colour, again, a second hand 1080p model is by no means bank breaking.
>>
>>2966682
I got 24 and I'm colour-blind, top kek.
>>
>>2966627
simplifying a subject matter into an arbitrary and obviously subjective test is so 21st century
good job
>>
>>2966696
You can just tell us you failed.
>>
>>2966689
I would not get a 6bit IPS (almost all cheap ones) if color accuracy is a concern. Better than TN, yes, but still lacking.
>>
File: munsell default.jpg (65KB, 913x511px) Image search: [Google]
munsell default.jpg
65KB, 913x511px
>>2966649
I got 10 but I'm going to blame my shitty laptop monitor.

I thought the mark was 1-100. Redid the test and didn't change any of the colours and got 990. Feel a bit better.

First time in ages I've heard Munsell mentioned.
>>
>>2966875
>A Iower score is better, with ZERO being a perfect score

>FeeIing better going from 10 to 990

????????????
>>
>>2966880
Redid the test from scratch and didn't change any colours to see worst case senario.
>>
>>2966649
Got a 0. Some of them are a bit tricky because it looks like a couple of them are more/less saturated than others.
>>
>>2966615
Color choices need to be made deliberately. What makes a color "feel" correct is not simply just the color in one area. It is all of the colors playing together, and how they relate to one another that make it feel "good" or "correct".
>>
>>2966615
This seems to be an apropiate thread.

Lightroom works on prophoto but exports to photoshop as srgb or adobe 1998

What should I configure everything? If I put everything on prophoto will it look wrong if I post it to facebook or instagram? Or after Im done should I export it to srgb?
>>
>>2966913
configure your monitor to prophoto, export to srgb.
>>
>>2966926
My monitor as in windows color management system default?
>>
>>2966898
Yup. The values aren't consistent but that's the munsell scale for you.
>>
File: A0067826-y1080px.jpg (613KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
A0067826-y1080px.jpg
613KB, 715x1080px
>>2966913
As anon said: workspace to high gamut and digital output to sRGB.
This assumes you are not printing, which is really the only reason to use a profile that isnt an sRGB variant (RGB, 1998 etc).
The catch is that when you are editing in high gamut you are not seeing what you will get in output.
I never print, and I've found it much more intuitive to set everything to RGB. That way what I see when I edit is what I get when I output to jpg.
With that in mind I have also removed the high gamut monitor from my setup, and just use two 50" and 55" TV's... set to RGB mode of course, because thats all they do. The differences inherent in the two screens is fairly significant, but in the sense that it forces me to prevent my mind from automatically accepting that the hue I see is 'normal' (because thats when the brain does). But rather the differences in hue and saturation give me some reference for how the image will look on different displays, and tends to keep my mental whitebalancing being re-assessed fairly dynamically.
So ultimately the difference between high gamut workspace and sRGB workspace is fairly minor, but if you want WYSIWYG then set RGB on everything.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakePENTAX
Camera ModelPENTAX K-5
Camera Softwaredarktable 1.4
PhotographerAndrew Wade Eglington oh-hi.info
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)25 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:10:14 11:43:45
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating1000
Exposure Bias-1 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length17.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width715
Image Height1080
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeClose View
>>
>>2966987
Doesnt lightroom work with prophoto by force?

Thanks for the help btw.
>>
File: color.png (18KB, 903x290px) Image search: [Google]
color.png
18KB, 903x290px
interesting test
>>
Might as well ask here. I'm in the same boat as OP but I'm also red green colorblind. Do I just go with it, or is going black and white a viable option
>>
File: Capture.png (49KB, 911x484px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
49KB, 911x484px
>>2966627
>>2966649
What a great bargain these monitors were.
>>
>>2966953
The only time I've been taught about the Munsell Scale is in my painting classes. I think it's more applicable in painting, but painting also has helped me understand quite a lot about color that I would not have learned otherwise.
>>
>>2966994
Maybe. Not everyone uses LR though.
Ultimately it makes very little difference. But there is *a* difference, and if you are noticing edit/output differences that might be related..
>>
>>2966615
I play Blendoku on my phone. Highly recommended for both entertainment and eye training
>>
>>2966649
>http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk
4 here
>>
File: PERFECTSCORE.jpg (68KB, 901x476px) Image search: [Google]
PERFECTSCORE.jpg
68KB, 901x476px
Fuck yah, perfect score!
>>
>>2966682
>>2966690
I got 118 this time.
Last time it was 124.

Being colour blind is suffering.

>>2966682
>wew lad, I guess B&W it is for me
fuckin A
>>
>>2966627
>>2966649
I got 4
>>
>>2966627
I got 30. Thats acceptable ya?
>>
File: colourTest.png (18KB, 911x297px) Image search: [Google]
colourTest.png
18KB, 911x297px
not too bad I guess.
I shoot in adobeRGB and export sRGB
>>
>>2966627
I got a 0/perfect. Monitor is a Dell Ultrasharp, uncalibrated.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.