[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a bunch of 8mm film reels I want to digitize. Any good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 8mm.jpg (112KB, 380x252px) Image search: [Google]
8mm.jpg
112KB, 380x252px
I have a bunch of 8mm film reels I want to digitize.

Any good methods for that? I don't mind if it involves building something. I tried capturing off a screen, but the results sucked.

Some howtos use cameras to photograph each frame, but afaik that kills the shutter soon.
Others point to a flatbet scanner project, but that's only for 35mm I think.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 40D
Camera SoftwareGIMP 2.6.7
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2010:04:22 13:25:54
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.3
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length41.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width380
Image Height252
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2961367
There's a very good method an old friend told me about. See, back in the day, there were those so called "labs" that scan your film professionally using special equipment. Some of these are still available, so you should be able to exchange money for this service.
>>
>>2961428
Labs charge you through the ass for it though. I had a lab quote me 60e starting price, 24e for handling, and 3.45e per minute not including soundtrack.
>>
>>2961430
You already determined it's difficult to do well. You either need special equipment or a whole lot of time and spare shutters. You expect labs to do that for free for you and the six other people in the world who want to digitize 8mm film?

There's probably a commercial grade film scanner that will handle 8mm reels, just find one and decide whether you'd rather pay that price or pay a lab to do it.
>>
>>2961428
When I use the price quites from >>2961430 as some sort of reference, I'm in a range where I consider a diy solution.
I don't mind if need a couple of stepper motors and maybe a raspberry plus camera module which takes 3-4s per frame.
The films are decades old, I don't care if the scanner runs without much attention for a few weeks to create eg 960x720 image sequences. These thousands of images I can convert with ffmpeg.

My problem is, how to get the optics right without spending a few thousands?
>>
>>2961445
I'm not arguing that it's overpriced, I'm just saying that it's expensive as fuck, so unless you really, REALLY want those old videos digitized at high quality, a lab job probably isn't worth what it costs. Rigging a DIY system if you're skilled enough or finding an old projector and recording off a screen are the only practical solutions that don't cost a fortune.
>>
File: 027557390927.jpg (171KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
027557390927.jpg
171KB, 900x900px
>>2961367
screen, white wall or large piece of paper, is going to be your best option.
The problem is going to be frame rates, 8mm and super 8 run at 18fps and video typically runs at 30, 24, or 48fps, the off set will give you flicker.

my school had a projector that had a slider that could bring the frame rate from 18 down to 12 and gave pretty good results. I was thinking of trying this by plugging my projector into a dimmer switch. it might work.

then just run the camera at a matched or higher frame rate than the projector, ie 12-24fps / or 15-30fps.
your motion will be slower but it will correct the pulsing of light and dark. some editing programs will let you fix the speed.
>>
>>2961507
tried that, but the resutlts were... far from acceptable. that's why I'm thinking about a frame-by-frame solution
>>
OP you're going to end up getting them scanned or leaving them to rot.
>>
>>2961430
The first result I found charges between €0.80 (for >180 minutes) and €0.99 (for < 90 minutes) per minute.
Plus €15.00 for each DVD (max 90 minutes per DVD).

So that's €74.40 for 1 hour.
Quite reasonable IMO.

Only kinda shitty they don't let you download the result instead of putting it on a DVD in 2016.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.