[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, in a week or do I might have an opportunity to go shot at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 102816.n.fns_.protest.gas_.jpg (150KB, 860x484px) Image search: [Google]
102816.n.fns_.protest.gas_.jpg
150KB, 860x484px
So, in a week or do I might have an opportunity to go shot at the NODAPL protests. I've likely missed the "best" parts, but I want to give it a go. I don't pretend to be a journalist, but I think it'll be a good experience.

Advice? Stories? Share some of your protest/riot pictures?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.3 (Macintosh)
PhotographerMichael Vosburg
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:27 17:43:43
Exposure Time1/1600 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating640
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length25.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2956894
dont get shot when they fire into the crowd

if you see shailene woodley tell her i think shes hot
>>
>>2956906
Not getting shot is high on my to-do list daily.

Is she even still out here?
>>
>>2956894
1/2
Hey, I was actually there OP.
I shot on the standing rock Rez grounds and interviewed people for a publication I was there for.
Met some folks from Al Jazeera and magnum, even foreign journalists from South America covering it.
On the grounds they have rules they teach you in the media tent, basically they don't want you documenting any prayers, they don't want you in the red warrior camp at all since it's mostly elders, and they'll kick you out if you try to force shots.
I was told that some dudes with VICE Canada were kicked out for trying to instruct people during shots.
Sacred stone camp has a lot of wealthy white activists there and will loan you a sleeping bag and space to sleep if you want to spend the night there, it's a few miles from the pipeline/standing rock.
If you stay on the Rez try to volunteer around the camp of you have the opportunity, I helped the cooking tent chop veggies. Anything helps, bring bottles of water if you can and give them to camp coordinators. Batteries, blankets, anything helps.
The physical pipeline is on private grounds, not Rez land, so the tribe can't stop you from going up to the pipeline.
I went up to the pipe, there's not shit going on there 24/7 but security forces would patrol it about twice a day when I was there.
There's some native elders doing constant prayer on the private land, the tribes ask that you NOT photograph or film any of the natives praying on the private land because anybody documented trespassing can be subject to arrest.
>>
>>2956941
2/2
If you step on the private land, you're immediately subjecting yourself to the possibility of trespassing charges, and conspiracy to vandalize charges.
If there's even a selfie of you on the private land, you could face serious legal action.
If anybody asks to have a photo of them deleted, do it because they have good reason for asking that of you.
Some journalists and documentary producers already have arrest warrants out for them for filming on the private grounds, take all nessecary actions to hide that you trespassed.
Some of the Rez camp staff told me they had their drones/cameras taken from them by private security forces, these dudes are fucking huge and are armed, if they take your gear there's not really anything you can do about it so try not to get too close to the private security.
You'll be safer photographing the national guard or police officers than if you photograph the private security.
Go for it if you want, my name isn't connected to anything I did for my well being. Understand there are serious risks.
It was fun, I encourage you to go there, great experience
>>
>>2956943
Also if you get lucky enough to get reception, text a personal friend as often as possible to tell them your location.
I saw actual NeoNazi shit while driving through Montana and in the North Dakota area, just try to update a close friend or family member about where you are as often as possible.
>>
File: 20161018_185029.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161018_185029.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2956941
>>2956943
Dude, awesome, thanks.

I'm actually considering coming at it from the other direction, mainly because I really haven't seen anything from that side. My day job is in the oil industry, so it can be argued that I have a vested interest in not making them look bad...I also have all the proper PPE and certifications to be around most all of that stuff (not that there's much for a deenergized pipeline being under construction, but showing up in full FRs with gas monitor and the like is a better look than jeans and sketchers).
>>
>>2956948
Yeah, ND is generally shit for reception, but that area is doubly so.
>>
>>2956954
Go for it, the natives I interviewed don't even hate oil workers, a lot even said they have friends working in the industry after the ND oil boom.
They basically just want it rerouted so it's not so close to their Rez land or next to water sources, with the recent pipeline incidents the Sioux nation is worried that the pipeline puts their agriculture, live stock, and water sources at stake.
Constructing the pipeline is tricky right now, while I was there the construction crew had this routine.
Maybe once every few days, they would arrive with excess security forces and push all the natives on the private land off while they build the pipeline for a few hours, some natives would walk back to camp and let them know construction was happening, they would round up some supporters to march out there.
Once too many supporters would show up, the construction crew and security force would call it a day once they're near being overwhelmed.
Also don't bring weapons for self defense, if any police officer, soldier or private security officer searches you and finds a weapon, there could be a huge misunderstanding.
Either way be careful if you decide to go on the private land, no matter how certified you are it will be a security force you'll find yourself talking to, not a pipeline supervisor.
Also you'll have a hard time finding parking, my associates and I got stuck in the mud because the little parking we could find was off road.
So be prepared to walk for a good distance if you need to.
>>
I'd love to see some pictures from this if anyone has some. I'm halfway across the world and would love to cover this, this plight is something I empathize with heavily
>>
>>2956969
It's not quite as straightforward of a story as it's being portrayed. All I can say for sure is that there are a lot of agendas at play and some assholes on both sides. There's also significant doubt to a lot of what's being claimed as the basis for the protests. It's a mess that at least from where I'm sitting looks like both sides are more wrong than right.
>>
>>2956928
Idk but if you see her tell her that okay?
>>
>>2956984
I will, just for you buddy.

Can you drop a self portrait so she knows who she's getting this compliment from?
>>
I think it would be interesting to photograph, and if given the chance, I'd probably go. However, I also don't want to be one of those wannabe photojournalists going just to get photographs for their portfolio.

There's already plenty of photojournalists covering the protests. Don't be a dickhead and let those who are already there do their job.
>>
>>2956943
>conspiracy to vandalize
That's not a real law.
>>
>>2957012
>Don't be a dickhead and let those who are already there do their job.
They're literally not though.
>>
>>2957016
It's a usually misdemeanour offence but an offence nonetheless.
>>
>>2956969
Yeah I'll upload some soon once I get to my PC
>>2957012
There was actually a lot of freelance journalists there, while making small talk I found out a lot of them weren't there representing any publication and was just doing it for portfolio or blog work
>>2957016
It's not, I was paraphrasing, it's actually "conspiracy to theft of property, conspiracy to theft of services, and conspiracy to tampering with or damaging a public service" but vandalize was quicker to type.
>>
>>2957016
>>2957066
>>2957210
Almost always, what's against the law is conspiracy (basically the act of more than one person planning to do something illegal). The "to do whatever" is usually just a modifier that clarifies what the planned illegal act is which in turn informs you how severe the conspiracy charge is (e.g. Conspiracy to murder is far worse than to bootleg alcohol).

>>2957022
No shit they're not. They're afraid to. Look at what there earlier anon said about what he was told he could do--you don't protect protesters as a journalist...fuck, you don't take sides, but that's mainly me pretending journalists have integrity. They can control what gets out because there's no cell signal there and they're willing to intimidate.

Now go read the police reports:
http://www.co.morton.nd.us

I'm wondering if the vice guys are actually the ones mentioned in the report about terrorizing journalists for asking the wrong questions, not the narrative that they were trying to stage things. It'd fit how their media relations people are spinning this whole thing.

Makes me wonder the sanity of me even going down because I don't tend to respond well to those kinds of tactics.
>>
>>2957427
The vice CA crew was just a film crew that was trying to pose people for shots, they allowed US vice to come through afterwards despite that.
The natives generally don't care about camera men as long as you don't get in their face about it.
Also another tip, there will be national guard checkpoints on you way to the area, just try to keep your gear out of sight.
Some film crew was telling me they were given a hard time because a solider saw their gear in the back seat and it resulted in their car being searched and questioned, mine was in the trunk so they just let me right through with no incident.
I guess bring liquid antacid/ vegetable oil/ saline too just in case you somehow get pepper sprayed from an officer
>>
>>2957456
Still could be the vice ca guys. Any info on who exactly it was?

>Three individuals were interviewing protesters in the camp area during the morning of October 18th. The protesters became very agitated with the journalists after they asked some pointed questions. A protester then identified himself as security and physically attempted to
take the reporter’s microphone. The three journalists were then able to get into their vehicle and locked themselves inside. Protesters surrounded the vehicle preventing them from leaving
the camp. Two protesters also used their vehicles to prevent the journalists from leaving. At
one point, the protesters even shook the vehicle and were hitting the vehicle’s windows.
>Protesters demanded the journalists’ video footage.

http://www.co.morton.nd.us/vertical/Sites/%7B90CBB59C-38EA-4D41-861A-81C9DEBD6022%7D/uploads/10-27_charges_filed.pdf

And here's some video
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5jjcuIvK04tc0pCRWRxdm5aQkE
>>
>>2957489
Kek just watched the vid, prob some Irish publication.
I'd love to find the article they wrote on standing rock after this though, I bet it's livid as hell
>>
>>2957617
Just googled, best I could find was this https://www.google.com/amp/bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/fracknation-film-crew-claims-they-were-accosted-held-hostage-at/article_3aeb6f73-8be8-57c4-9fa0-927dba609f1f.amp.html
Some fracking docu producers, still awful though.
Hopefully the protesters don't do anything like that again
>>
>>2957619
>Hopefully the protesters don't do anything like that again
That was kinda tame compared to what I've seen posted on Facebook. It's hilarious seeing this protest called "peaceful". I think they're up to almost a dozen burned vehicles, one took shots at police, and there's been a ton more minor incidents.

I think they've managed to lock up the worst of them though.
>>
>>2956894
Well fuck. No days off for at least three weeks. It'll be cold enough by that point that most everyone will be gone...
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.