[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /p/ I would like to buy Canon 5D MK II, but I still hesitate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

File: frontview.jpg (190KB, 1280x964px) Image search: [Google]
frontview.jpg
190KB, 1280x964px
hi /p/
I would like to buy Canon 5D MK II, but I still hesitate about that. Could you give me some pros and cons about that idea?
>>
con: you would have less money after the transaction than before
>>
>>2953845

sure. but any other better ideas do you have?
>>
There are better alternatives for less. Like d700. Would've bought that but wasn't on TradeMe (NZ eBay). Next cheapest (and good build body) was 5D2. Pretty happy with it but if you have the option, buy the Nikon.
>>
>>2953854

i almost know nothing about DSLRs cameras. I am into analog ones. what makes nikon better than that canon?
>>
>>2953854

i also considered nikon df and canon 6d. now i don't know what to choose ;-;
>>
>>2953860
Df is great if you can avoid the nostalgia tax. I got mine used for 800€ and in that price range, it's very good.
6D is also great, essentially a smaller and lighter 5D Mk III with a few missing features (simpler AF system would be the main disadvantage). Overall good camera for money.
>>
>>2953867

i also would like to use prime lenses from my FD mount, that why i have chosen canon to buy, so AF wouldn't annoy me so much
>>
>>2953871
You'll gonna need an adapter with a lens on it to use FD lenses on a modern Canon body. Not exactly an ideal solution..
>>
>>2953841
Pentax K-1
>>
>>2953883

that's not a problem to me. i can't afford buying new efs lenses
>>
>>2953867
>Df is great
No it is not. Get an XT10 or a K-3 Silver if you want the nostalgia looks but none of the awkward fiddling and gimped nofeatures.
>>
>>2953858
Canon sensors are shit. But man it doesn't matter THAT much, reasons to consider D700 over 5D is that it's cheaper, just as well built, and has a slight edge in sensor build and a better lens selection. Shouldn't matter much if you're not getting paid or making prints.

5D2 has video, 20MP (vs 12), larger lens selection, MagicLantern.

Nikon old lenses are a lot better than canon new or old ones. But again, these reasonings are just for you to spend less, not to degrade cameras.
>>
>>2953912
>better lens selection
>DSLR lenses
>retrofocal bullshit
>brown people still fall for it
>>
>>2953867
why not get an eos m or a6000 you wont be ab'e to adapt on the canon ef range without an adapter that reduces iq because it will include glass elements
>>
>>2953928
> he doesn't know objective measurements of lens ratings
> mentions retrofocal design irrelevantly
>>
>>2953943
(((objectif)))
>>
>>2953867
>Overall good camera for money.
>anything Canon
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2953841
Instead of this shit fest

get the Pentax k-1
>>
>>2953841
The 5D2 is still a good camera. The focussing system is a bit primitive but once you get used to it it will get you where you want to be faster than most of the so-called technologically superior cutting edge brands.

The sensor is also old but you can still make 16x20 exhibition quality prints and no-one will know what camera you used (assuming you have a decent lens of course)
>>
>>2953997
>The 5D2 is still a good camera.
No it is not
>>
>>2954001
yes it is, NG's best photos are taken on 5d2, not that its the camera that did it but you're wrong about it being not a good camera
>>
>>2954002
It doesn't worth the money. You can buy much better cameras for cheaper.
>>
>>2954004
$800? no.
>>
>>2954004
OP didn't specify a price, you're full of shit
>>
>>2954008
>OP didn't specify a price
So? It costs what it costs.
>>
>>2954013
>It costs what it costs.
Very erudite. But since it's only available used it costs what the buyer and seller agree on, which OP didn't specify
>>
Another con no one mentioned yet:

Full frame zooms are crazy expensive, if you have any plans to go wider than f/4.
>>
>>2954006
>K-70
>$600
>>
>>2954035
>k-70 is better than 5d2
>he thinks he's funny
>>
>>2953912
>Canon sensors are shit.

Your opinion is shit.

>But man it doesn't matter THAT much, reasons to consider D700 over 5D is that it's cheaper, just as well built, and has a slight edge in sensor build

Are you fucking high? The 5D mark II has nearly twice the resolution, equal DR, and better high ISO performance.

>and a better lens selection.

Nikon has a great lens catalog, but Canon's is actually larger.

>Nikon old lenses are a lot better than canon new or old ones.

You are a meme kiddie, and they are not.
>>
>>2954125
he's right about canon sensors, obviously you don't know shit about sensors. However for laymen, its obvious to tell, canon sensors have a lot more banding and shit noise handling as they heat up during long exposures. 5D Mark II has no where near the DR as D700 neither does it have a better high ISO performance, maybe use both before shitposting :^)
>>
>>2954125
>canon sensors are shit
>implying thats an opinion

>5D2 has better dynamic range
>implying thats a fact

m8 cmon
>>
>>2954145
>he's right about canon sensors, obviously you don't know shit about sensors.

Another meme kiddie. The sad thing is you can't even appeal to "muh dxo score!" since they are within 1pt of each other (and that's with DxO ignoring resolution).

>However for laymen, its obvious to tell, canon sensors have a lot more banding and shit noise handling as they heat up during long exposures. 5D Mark II has no where near the DR as D700 neither does it have a better high ISO performance, maybe use both before shitposting :^)

I have used both you fucking child.

The D700 was released about 2 years before Sony Exmor, with on chip ADCs, was a thing. Canon sensors had the best high ISO and lowest banding before Sony hit the world with Exmor.

These are late 2000's sensors and Canon dominated sensor IQ throughout the 2000's.

>>2954146
>another meme kiddie

I realize you were probably still in grade school in 2008, but back then Canon sensors were at the top on every measure.

The D700 is a fine camera. But the 5D2 has the better sensor. Period.
>>
>>2954153
>The D700 was released about 2 years before Sony Exmor, with on chip ADCs, was a thing. Canon sensors had the best high ISO and lowest banding before Sony hit the world with Exmor.

I should clarify that Sony was using the Exmor name before 2010. I'm talking about Sony's "Exmor" sensors with on-chip ADCs in APS-C and FF sizes. It was around 2010 that Nikon/Pentax/etc were moving to Sony's sensors and everyone noticed "hey, it's possible to get another 2-3ev with no banding."
>>
>>2954153
So this is the kind of person who uses Canon
>>
>>2954159

No. This is the kind of person who doesn't like being talked down to by people whose knowledge of older cameras and sensors is based on nothing more than current year memes.
>>
>>2954160
look everybody, a comedian.
>>
>>2954160
>meme's

ok

so a sensor that is better on paper, and performs better in real life is a meme because it hurts your fe-fes

Poor you :'(
>>
File: IMG_5460.jpg (364KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5460.jpg
364KB, 1200x800px
Been shooting with a Mark II since 2012 and i didn't see a reason for upgrading with mark III (basically only better AF system and half a stop lower noise at high ISO). Nothing i really needed. I shoot events, architecture and food, all kinds of shit really but i really couldn't justify an upgrade. Now with the Mark IV finally better dynamic range etc everything pretty nice, but i can't justify the price, it's NOT THAT much better in any real world sense. If i shot action then yes of course the AF would help a bunch. Also a cleaner ISO800+ would be helpful with event photos but i can still manage and people have managed with a lot less in the past.

Also with the magiclantern firmware you get the dual-iso feature which can expand your dynamic range to ~14stops with the trade off of lower vertical resolution, i use it a ton in contrasty light it works pretty good.

You would still be bracketing even with more advanced cameras if you were doing a landscape type shot in order to capture as much detail as possible in the shadows and highlights rather than just exposing lower and pushing in post.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark II
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
PhotographerJohan Robertsson
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.4
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2015:09:28 22:51:33
Exposure Time20 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length35.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: DUAL5455.jpg (481KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
DUAL5455.jpg
481KB, 1200x800px
here's an extreme case of the dual iso, (the compression kinda blocks up the shadow detail but oh well) As you can see there's still detail in the highlights of the lamps and their reflection in the water while there's also detail in the dark sky.

Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image Created2015:09:29 01:53:29
Exposure Time10 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width1200
Image Height800
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
File: DUAL2747.jpg (453KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DUAL2747.jpg
453KB, 682x1024px
other side of the spectrum with extremely bright light and highlights with dual-iso.

Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Image Created2015:04:13 02:46:42
Exposure Time1/1000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias-2 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length51.00 mm
Image Width682
Image Height1024
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
File: IMG_1553.jpg (261KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1553.jpg
261KB, 1024x683px
Also does just fine in lower light situations as long as you have f/1.4 glass.

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2014:12:14 17:38:02
Exposure Time1/180 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
ISO Speed Rating1600
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias1 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length50.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height683
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
File: IMG_3415 copy.jpg (1MB, 1536x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3415 copy.jpg
1MB, 1536x1920px
I can't really recommend the camera enough if you have money to buy some proper lenses for it.

Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Created2016:10:15 02:15:14
Exposure Time10 sec
F-Numberf/11.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/11.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length70.00 mm
Image Width1536
Image Height1920
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
File: IMG_8661.jpg (198KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8661.jpg
198KB, 1024x576px
last one.

Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image Created2014:09:08 00:17:19
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/4.0
ISO Speed Rating800
Lens Aperturef/4.0
Exposure Bias-0.7 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length200.00 mm
Image Width1024
Image Height576
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2954204
>>2954199
>>2954198
> Johan Robertsson
Are you the guy who took the self portrait with a hassleblad? Really clean image, sitting on a bed or something?
>>
>>2954207
Pls do tutorial on how to use dual iso

How are you images so clean
>>
File: _MG_7804_.jpg (467KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_7804_.jpg
467KB, 1280x960px
>>2954210
It was a Mamiya RB67

>>2954211
There's tons of ways to get clean looking images, if the contrast is low and the light is good there's no problem, just don't go too aggressive on the curves, increasing contrast brings out noise. Dual-ISO is fairly simple to use, installing it is a bit more complex but there's tutorials for that on the magiclantern site. But what i do is, if the scene is too contrasty and i get either clipper highlights or completely crushed shadows i enable dual-iso with a 100/800 ISO spread (could do 100/1600 but on mark II 1600 is too noisy and there's too little overlapp in exposure so it results in aliasing and resolution loss). I then usually just meter -2EV since that's about the amount of extra clean shadow recovery i'll get.

Load pictures onto computer, grab the dual-iso files (easily marked with dual_ in the filename) drag and drop them onto the cr2hdr.exe that they provide on the magic lantern forums, it processes the images (takes awhile) and dumps out .dng files that i edit like any other file in cameraRAW or lightroom only i got more highlights and cleaner shadows, they do get some other artifacts though in some special cases, for instance moiré is much more prevalent towards the highlights in textures that are prone to it. Might get some weird aliasing etc, most of the stuff is unnoticable once you shrink down to like 50% resolution anyway.

But one thing i always do with my images to produce crisp outputs for web is, when i downsize, i take the output resolution i want (lets say 1000px wide) i multiply it by 4x. Then i resize the picture to that resolution first with bicubic smooth resampling. Then i gaussian blur the image with a 1.2 radius and low to medium strength (this is to reduce aliasing) Then i resize again down to final resolution (25% reduction) with bilinear resampling, and it really produces the crispest output you could want really. (the blur step isn't necessary unless you notice aliasing in the final size)

Equipment MakeCanon
Image Created2016:02:24 20:04:57
Exposure Time1/50 sec
F-Numberf/1.4
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/1.4
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length35.00 mm
Image Width1280
Image Height960
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2954211
also 16bit workflow obviously from start to finish is vital (if you do further editing inside photoshop).
>>
>>2954207
>>2954215

not the other anon but dumb question

whats your process for getting the cleanest possible images in lightroom if my images have some noise?

How far can i crank luminence reduction and detail sliders?
>>
>>2954169

The D700 sensor doesn't perform better on paper or in real life.

Stop talking about cameras you've never shot.
>>
>>2954244
It does during long exposures. 5D2 gets hotter and thus shows more thermal noise. Stop talking about cameras you've never shot.
>>
>>2954250
>5D2 gets hotter and thus shows more thermal noise.

Read and learn: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=34930
>>
>>2954261
> read and learn
> directs to forums

This is why no one believes you. Also why you lack knowledge.
>>
File: IMG_3588.jpg (1MB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3588.jpg
1MB, 2400x1600px
>>2954235
Well i almost never touche the noise reduction other than the default amount of chroma noise reduction. Although if it's a high iso image 800-1600 that i've had to push a bit brighter i tend to completely turn off any sharpening, i might do just a tad of luma noise reduction and most often kinda try and hide it by adding a bit of soft grain on top since it's more uniform.
Also i might just do two versions of the image one with enough noise reduction to smooth out the shadows but adding grain on top, and another with no noise reduction and no sharpening etc, then just blend those two layers to let the noise reduction only affect the dark portions of the image.

However. Best way to minimize noise is just to process differently. I usually start off in camera raw and i pick the WB i want, i turn the contrast down as much as possible, i turn the whites down as far as possible, i turn the blacks up as far as possible, i don't touch the highlight or shadow slider. Make sure i'm using the adobeRGB profile or prophoto, whichever is required to keep all tones inside the histogram. Load into photoshop, open a levels adjustment layer and move the midpoint right to brighten the image, then i put a slight S curve on top for contrast.

This usually gives a very natural looking base to work off, with very subdued colors with good color transitions etc. If you want more tonality you could do with nik Viveza2 and add some on various places but i like to keep it kinda subtle a lot of the times. Other times i might go a bit crazy though. I'm not very consistent.

Equipment MakeCanon
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image Created2016:10:27 11:22:39
Exposure Time1/200 sec
F-Numberf/8.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Lens Aperturef/8.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Focal Length24.00 mm
Image Width2400
Image Height1600
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceManual
>>
>>2954263
>forum full of known professionals
>discussing real life experiences with the cameras in question

Just stop posting, OK? You've had to back peddle from every claim you've made because you don't have a fucking clue about these cameras.
>>
>>2954283
> not a single back peddle statement
> still claiming I did so
> projecting autism this hard
Weak bait try harder next time and improve your troll skills
>>
>>2953953
fuck off sony tard, there's a reason Sony are so cheap, because in 100% of cases you get what you pay for. stop using DXOmark and you'll learn something
>>
>>2954145
literally nothing in the world has more banding, moire and artifacts than the entire a7 series including the a7r ii. your knowledge on sensors is the work of a true retard.
>>
>>2953851
Get a fulfilling social life so you won't have to fall for the consumerism meme to fill out the emptiness inside you.
>>
op here.

guys, i wanted only pros and cons that stand behind buying 5d2 ;-;
>>
>>2954385
pros: it's a camera
cons: it's an old camera with high price compared to other cheaper newer cameras on the market. It has terrible noise and low usable ISO range. The lenses for it have a high price.
>>
>>2954388
at least one man, who understands my expectations
>>
If you're unable to capture an amazing award winnin photo with the 5Dm2 due to its technical limitations, you're unable to do so on any other camera.
>>
>>2954315
> Sony cameras have more banding than canon
Jesus fuck where do you people get these ideas from

>>2954385
The tripfag already did. Now delete this thread.
>>
Which one is the best Canon and best Nikon out there? And, is there any better camera?
>>
>>2954464
It depends
>>
>>2954464
Best Nikon, D810
Best Canon, 1Dx Mark II
>>
>>2954476
This
>>
>>2954464
>best Nikon
F6
>>
>>2954052
It's the truth, tho.
>>
5DMKII suck go buy MKIII he can record in full raw with magic lantern
>>
5D2 are like 600usd here now, used.

I am so god damn tempted.

But the main reason I need an upgrade for is the iso performance. And it really has to be fullframe because I did the mistake and tried one out for a while and now I can't go back.

I don't shoot enough to justify a better FF camera though.

I might bight the bullet these next two months, black friday and christmas and all that shit.
>>
>>2957386
Also just remembered that the 6D is a thing.

It's just a pure upgrade from the 5d2, correct?
>>
Is the 5D3 the best of the Canon FF bodies, for things like sports, landscapes and whatnot?

Rented a 6D and FF is nice, but the 6D's AF was pretty bad.

I've seen a number of sports photographers using the 5D3 so figure it gives a better AF system whilst not being the price of a car like a 1D.

Having said that, I've found a used 1Ds Mk3 for the same price as a used 5D3 so that could be an option too.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2957394
No, I think it has same number of AF points, lacks the analog stick nipple thing and shitty build. A lot better ISO performance though.
>>
>>2957405
Yes as far as value goes, it's the best FF you can buy. Followed by D800 and 5D2.
>>
>>2953841
a7
>>
>>2954268
I haven't been able to find an answer to this question ever searching around the internet. I do literally ALL my editing in ACR, with a similar process. But I drop highlights down, shadows up, then adjust the black point, white point, and exposure, then go from there.

But I never do much editing when I open the image in photoshop because I've always assumed that by doing the editing in photoshop, its somehow losing the "RAW" information that I was editing in ACR. What processing is happening in photoshop vs ACR? I just don't want to edit in a lower quality that would be possible to do in ACR instead
>>
>>2957417
You're not editing the "raw"-file in Photoshop proper, ACR is purely parametric/non-destructive/metadata. There is no reason to avoid using photoshop like you're doing though. If you import into photoshop as AdobeRGB/16bit the difference is practically irrelevant, it's more a question of workflow/speed/tools. Click on the blue text at the bottom of ACR and you can change bit-depth/color space/res for your PS import (and if you don't already, remember to check 'open as smart object' so you can jump back to ACR once in photoshop).
>>
>>2957583
Okay that makes sense. I've just been very hesitant. The most I've ever done outside of ACR is dodge and burn. I just don't want any weird artifacts to appear from editing in photoshop. I'll try opening it in a high bit depth and doing some light edits
>>
>>2954322
ouch, harsh but true..
>>
Get a 6D instead
>Lighter
>Wifi actually useful
>Better ISO preform
>Smaller

I made the same choice about a year ago and couldn't be happier with my 6D. People like to bitch about the AF system, but frankly the 5D2 isn't much better for fast action. I personally would prefer the more sensitive center point anyway.
>>
>>2959729
Very true but. 5D2 is cheaper.
>>
>>2959729
The 6D is massive. How big is the 5D2 anyway??
>>
Why isn't anyone asking why he wants a full frame camera? What's your experience level and what are you planning to shoot?

You're probably a lot better off getting a older Rabal like a t3i or t4i for $200-$250 that was lightly used by some consumer who shot it a few times at birthday parties and nothing more than a now ancient 5D Mk II that was put through a ton of use.

Stash the extra $500+ in savings into a nice lens to shoot what you want to shoot.

Also gearthread and sage
>>
>>2959903
My advice is to get a full frame DSLR. My 700D is limiting me.
>>
>>2953894
seconded
>>
>>2959903
>What's your experience level
What in the world do you think this has to do with what sensor size you shoot?
>>
>>2959990

It matters more that he may have $2000 in lenses that he didn't mention, assuming he has experience and then yeah a 5D Mk II is a perfectly fine upgrade from a crop, if he doesn't and his budget his limited why the fuck would you waste your money on a body just because it's full frame?

>>2959959

Depends entirely what he's shooting, if you actually think you're limited by a crop sensor you're more likely just a shit photographer who is blaming his gear for the lack of Instagram likes.
>>
>>2959999
So it literally has nothing to do with experience. Gotcha.
>>
>>2960007
Why are you being retarded?

It's directly related. The anon was asking experience level to then suggest maybe not going for a full frame - even a quite old body - if his experience level is low.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.