[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Binoculars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (579KB, 2100x1395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
579KB, 2100x1395px
Hello all,

I am a security guard who works night shift in a 40 storey office building. I would absolutely love to take a pair of binoculars to pass the time seeing as there is a major construction project adjacent to our building.

Please tell me what to look for when buying a pair.

Thank you.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2100
Image Height1395
>>
>>2952428
Large objectives for a nice bright image, sealing to keep crap out of them, and quality coatings/optics.

How much are you looking to spend?
>>
>>2952430

Maximum $500AUD
>>
>>2952431
Do you own a dslr? You could spend that $500 on a nice telephoto, that way you can see shit and also take photos.
>>
>>2952435

I do own one, however a camera won't look right, especially with other staff around. Might raise an eyebrow.
>>
>>2952437
Ah I see, no worries then mate
>>
Buy Fujifilm,

They made binoculars during the war that rivalled Zeiss, they still make the best stabilized binos on the planet (they also invented them) and are used by Military (especially Navy) all over the world.

Some Fuji binos surpass Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss in both quality but also in price, the binos and scopes they manufactured during the war are still extremely sought after and cost a lot.

You might be able to get some 10x50s close to your price (probably a bit more) but they will be better in quality than anything under.

If you really can't afford a good pair Fuji binos don't buy anything else other than Nikon (can get a decent pair for about $300aud, you would be happy with the Nikon pair unless you tried them side by side with a Fuji or any other higher end pair.
>>
>>2952442

Me again,

Try and find something like this if you can stretch the budget slightly more.

Fujinon 10X50 FMT-SX Binoculars

I just saw them on Procular for like $680, discounted from about $1100

Check some other sites though
>>
>>2952443

Many thanks freind. I will take your advice and start to search for a pair.

Can you tell me about the kind of zoom I should look for for a viewing things less than approx 2K away ??
>>
>>2952437
They make adapters which turn a telephoto lens into a spotting scope. Would that fly?
>>
>>2952445

It's basically the same as camera lenses.. You can get binos with a larger magnification but prepare to pay more (especially when you want to use them in low light) the 10x50s are a good compromise, good in low light with a good magnification but still considered wide angle in bino standards.

As a comparison though, 8x42s are popular among bird watchers as they have an ok magnification but aren't over the top (so it's still easy to scan around without getting lost)

I would recommend trying to find some too try out, don't let the salesman convince you into buying a trash pair though.. A good pair of binos will last you your whole life.

Those Fujis I mentioned are military spec.
>>
>>2952450

Ta mate.
>>
>>2952449

Umm... I don't think so.
>>
>>2952428
For casual observing I'd go for a pair of 8x40s, especially if you are taking them to work and wandering about with them. 10x50 are bigger, heavier and harder to keep stable for extended periods.

Go to a shop and have a hold of a few pairs. Size, weight and ergonomics are hard to judge from photos.

Personally I'd avoid zoom binoculars, as you zoom in the image will get darker and you'll need a tripod.

>>2952443
>Fujinon 10X50 FMT-SX Binoculars
These do look nice but idividual focus is a pain for general use. I've got a 20x80 pair of binos with IF, for stargazing having the focus locked is ideal.
>>
I am first mate on a sea fairing vessel we only use bushnell they have compass inlay and distance meters. Great optics.
>>
Hunters know all about low light binoculars, m80. Ask around some forums, and read some reviews.

http://www.bestforhunting.com/best-low-light-binoculars/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.