[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into photojournalism ??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: 2016-10-19-13-39-19--403545717.jpg (7KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-19-13-39-19--403545717.jpg
7KB, 279x181px
Is it a good job or should I just go for something different in the photography field ???
>>
If you're asking us and using more than one question mark, you're not going to make it.
>>
make sure you go to college
>>
Nope. Sending pictures of your dick to unsuspecting women is much more profitable
>>
>>2949380
Kek

>>2949381
Ehh

>>2949397
Right and wrong
Here's the thing with journalism in the days of social media and so forth OP; people today tend to get their information directly from the source without the filters or misinformation of others over/underexaggerating the situation. And people are not only accustomed to it by now, but even embrace it because it's as raw as any "credible" news outlet can put out. On top of that, many of the younger people of today (aka us cancerous millennials) don't have the time or willingness to read paragraphs of information because we have Twitter/Facebook/Etc. that contains countless pictures and videos of said events that explain themselves.

Now this doesn't mean that there probably won't be people out there that have jobs to always document situations formally in words/photos that actually convey situations in an almost poetic form, but the inevitable fact that the Internet has become more widespread over the past 20 something years has just put that career choice into a rut.
>>
>>2949368
Apply to some company That'll send you on assignments or just do freelance and photograph major news events and hope news companies want to buy your photos
>>
>>2949368
Unless you're one of the few lucky people, photography is not a good job. Same as singing, playing video games, and any other unqualified thing people actually quite frequently do as hobby.

Get an university degree from a decent university in a marketable subject (not art or humanities or nonsense like that) if you want a high chance at getting a good job.

Or focus on getting paid for shit just about nobody else wants to do (it's not really a hobby of anyone).
>>
File: flies on a corpse.jpg (70KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
flies on a corpse.jpg
70KB, 750x500px
>>2949422
>people today tend to get their information directly from the source without the filters or misinformation of others over/underexaggerating the situation
Do you honestly believe this? Here in the US, 80% of online and televised media is owned by 6 companies. That's 233 executives who mold the opinions of 320 million people.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width750
Image Height500
>>
>>2949422
Just about everyone will tell you that to even touch the door of photojournalism you will need a degree. being a paid photojournalist is not the same thing you see on Facebook. Hell even Snapchat is currently using a professional to cover Mosul.
>>
>>2949442
This. I know this one girl who got a job at national geographic after studying photojournalism and they featured an article she did on the human skull trade on snapchat. The only reason she got that job with Nat Geo is because she had an internship with them during her junior & senior year of college. The key is to go to a school with good connections but a degree in it of itself is an absolute must given how competitive the market is these days.
>>
I was thinking about trying to do combat camera for the reserves and then maybe even try and go for it as a full time Soldier if I manage to slim down enough over the next year or so for cardio.

(Powerlifting is my other hobby 2/3/4/4 but I got fat as a side effect)

Anyone have any exerpeience with this?
>>
OP degrees aren't necessary, I assist a photojournalist for travel assignments and they and most of their colleagues don't have college experience, at least not college experience in formal journalism classes.
Work experience and internships will do so much more for you than a degree in journalism will. Start building a nice portfolio and CV now, that's all an employer will care about.
>>2949473
I'm 1/2/3/3, there's a trip on here in the Air Force that does field photography. No combat stuff but somewhere foreign.
I don't know what the policy or copyright practices are for specifically combat photographers, you might not be allowed to publicly show them.
I had a friend in the navy who just photographed navy training exercises, I heard photographing in the military is fun but kind of hard to get into(low volume of openings) and you might be waiting on it for a while.
>>
>>2949590
The thing about college is that it opens more doors. You have an easier time getting contacts, you show employers that you actual know how to do what you want, and the opportunity of internships provides a shoe in the door for a real job.
>>
>>2949590
Gives me more time to learn how to jog I guess - thanks for the info man
>>
File: IMG_4193.jpg (70KB, 406x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4193.jpg
70KB, 406x450px
>>2949432
>Here in the US, 80% of online and televised media is owned by 6 companies

But regardless the majority of millennials (not just in the United States) are getting their news from social media outlets no matter who's providing it. Taking into account OP (best of luck to by the way) wants to go into that certain career path for the long run it may get harder as time goes on since people are beginning to see the world in almost real time without any written words or fancy video work.

Information is becoming much more accessible if we like it or not. News stations and such may not go away, but they may become as dated as papers are currently.

>>2949442
>>2949446
I guess I'm speaking in a sense of local journalism. In my town, for example, anybody can freelance a story and get paid for it if it's encaptivating and interesting enough.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width406
Image Height450
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 1472530827167.jpg (96KB, 604x504px) Image search: [Google]
1472530827167.jpg
96KB, 604x504px
>>2949368
The communication industry is changing fast, if you want to be a photojournalists working for one of the big 6 News outlets good luck getting a job. Getty has killed that field. If you still want to become a PJ nomatter what.
>Go to college study journalism and take business as electives.
>Create a small news business to keep you out of trouble.
>Get a following on social media.
>Get bought out by newscorp and $$$$$
>>
>>2949473
Saw an article last week about a British soldier who's a photographer.

>tldr you need to be enlisted for 2 years before applying, you can't join as a "photographer"
>>
>>2949368
f/8 and be there.
>>
I had an idea the other day. What if I somehow embedded myself in the Syrian Civil War and made a YouTube/Twitter account to document it all. Would /p/ watch/follow that?
>>
>>2949942
>OP asks how to be photojournalist
>gets told to CREATE his own news publication
I guess technically hiring yourself counts too
>>
>>2950173
People would follow you, there's journalists out there right now that kind of post on social media as well, but generally when someone travels to war zones they're selling photos to news pubs instead.
I wouldn't advise going to Syria unless you're really at peace with the thought of dying, a lot of journalists have been murdered out there, and as the past has shown, if ISIS kidnaps you and asks for ransom your country likely won't pay it and will allow you to be executed.
>>
>>2950315
I have no qualms with dying. This is the only thing I'm good at and I want to contribute to society.
>>
File: goodluckmate.jpg (60KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
goodluckmate.jpg
60KB, 960x641px
Are you ready for everything?

Starting with a thread in /p/ is bad begging tho

good luck anon
>>
File: goodluckmate2.jpg (59KB, 960x641px) Image search: [Google]
goodluckmate2.jpg
59KB, 960x641px
>>2950419
beginning* fucking auto
>>
>>2949596

College opening more doors is a load of crap, College in the end usually closes more doors than it opens. Most people with degrees can't get a job in their field, and no one going to train and hire them outside of their field due to risk of jumping ship back to their field when an opportunity arises.

If you want to be a photojournalist, go to an event and shoot, go to a protest and shoot, go to a story and shoot. Get use to going somewhere and shooting. If you drive by a story stop and shoot it.

By going to events, protest, and story, you will meet people within the industry.

Once you are confident in you camera skills, ability to get a story and be first name basis with somebody. You are ready to apply.
>>
>>2952084
>closes
yea no, colleges offer so many tools for networking its ridiculous. A college student is more likely to get that internship for a publication than a non-student. Getting the first name basis is easier.

Also their more likely to offer the training to a grad as most employers will see the degree as a sign that they are willing to learn something.
>>
>>2950420
>>2950419
Also fuck your white balance
>>
>>2952084
You have no idea what you are missing.
Greetings from a photography student.
>>
Photojournalist here, well I went to school for Photojournalism but my job title is "Multimedia Reporter & Editor" so I have to write, produce video and photos as well as maintain an active following and presence on social media.

Move to a small town in bumfuck nowhere, that's where the jobs are, gone are the days of working for big papers now.

I worked for a few years in a small town in northern Manitoba, got experience, sometimes a big media company like Canadian Press (Canada version of AP) or Reuters or someone will call you up for a photo and you can charge a good rate for the day or half day to get it.

So yea, my advice: move to bumfuck nowhere, there's plenty of jobs for journalists and photojournalists in small town Midwest USA and Canada, but on the downside: you love in bumfuck nowhere.
>>
>>2952914
fellow assistant photo editor at my college newspaper did exactly this. moved to the middle of Montana and shoots rodeos every other day. Honestly it looks like a lot of fun and you basically get immersed in a whole new culture (if you're from the city like me). I plan on doing the same when I graduate.
>>
Shoot every event, politcal demonstration and any happenings in your town. I've been to the RNC, college strikes, buildings fires and all kinds of shit this year just building my portfolio.

Also, read a lot of books and write just as often.
>>
I did a recent photography course where the teacher had sold some of his photos to be used on the cover of the magazine section of our only Saturday newspaper for a city of 2 million. He got paid less than $200 for the cover photo.
>>
>>2953053
Which is why he now teaches for a living.
>>
File: Doc-Brown-Back-to-the-future.png (487KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Doc-Brown-Back-to-the-future.png
487KB, 970x545px
>>2949368
>How do I get into photojournalism ?

buy a DeLorean
invent the Flux Capacitor
steal plutonium from Libyan terrorists
get that baby to 88mph
go back to any time between 1930 and 1950
don't get into a romance with your mother
>>
>>2953219
>don't get into a romance with your mother
pussy
>>
Photojournalism is actually a field I'm interested in. I just started getting my education in it though. But the main thing I've been working on right now is doing concert work. I realize there's almost no money in it but I'm getting brought in to two publications now and I'm wondering if getting published on these music and culture mags this early in my "career" will help me further down the line.
>>
>>2950419
>>2950420
they're trash, senpai
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.