[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Press Agency

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 3663263217_920b7c2fa1_z.jpg (123KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
3663263217_920b7c2fa1_z.jpg
123KB, 500x310px
I want to cover many events internationaly and would like to know how to get into them with an accreditation.
>>
There is no such thing as universally-recognized press credentials. They are either just ID cards produced by the agency you work for, or they're issued to you by the event you're planning to cover. The former doesn't guarantee you access into anything, but they do help you get the latter.

tldr; start by getting a job in the press
>>
>>2947560
Ok thanks.

But while searching i found some freelance photographers agencies, are they useful ?
>>
>>2948063
>freelance
>agency
What are you talking about?
>>
>>2948076
Im asuming, an agency that hires fortographers as self employed or contractor and not being paid hourly
>>
>>2948063
Some are. It just comes down to whether it's a well-known reputable agency or some organization that only exists as a website that a couple guys threw together over a weekend. Being a stringer for the AP or Reuters will help you get access to national-scale events. Local papers will help you get into local events. Agencies that exist only on the internet will probably just get you laughed at.

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you actually want to be a photojournalist, or do you just want to get into stuff for free?
>>
>>2948303
No i don't care about entering for free, what i really want is to access good spots to be able to cover the event in a good way and then be able to sell the photos to differents medias. Also some exhibits have a special day only for journalists and stuffs.
>>
>>2948463
Give up.

You can't even hold down the shift key for a response or state what type of events you're covering. Clearly you're not ready for the big boi world of paid work.

Maybe go back to taking pictures of your cat in the garden while it runs around or something.
>>
>>2948480
Ok thank you for the reminder, i am going to find my cats then. And maybe you go back fuck yourself.
>>
Australia has the MEAA which you can apply for and get an ID card. I dunno how much it does - I've never had the chance to use it for anything - but I guess you can wave it around and pretend to know what you're talking about like everyone else here.
>>
>>2948495
Yes Yes I very will go back fuck myself you no u.
>>
>>2948463
There are thousands of people out there who just picked up a camera and think they're going to be the next Steve McCurry, but they don't actually have any idea how to get their work published. Event organizers don't want a horde of incompetents who will just take pictures and leave them to rot on their hard drives. Organizers want to see some kind of proof that you're an actual journalist whose photos will actually be published.

The easiest way is to start freelancing for a local paper or magazine that's well known in your community, covering small events that aren't picky about media. You have to work up to bigger gigs. If you want to work as a totally independent freelancer, you either need to start out shooting things you can get into without credentials and get lots of photos in well-known publications, or you need to start with a small local publication and work your way up by building a reputation. There is no easy path from random guy with a camera to professional photojournalist who actually makes a living.

Also don't underestimate the difficulty of selling your photos. The market is saturated, so it pretty much comes down to your connections. Just having a good photo is not enough to get it sold, and doing so often enough to actually make a living is much harder. I've had hundreds of photos published in dozens of newspapers, magazines, and books with distribution from local to international scale, but the amount of money I've made on it in ten years is about what I make in a month at my real job. I haven't maintained those professional connections, so if tomorrow I decided I wanted to be a professional photojournalist, I'd have to start over from the beginning by cold calling local publications. You need to start by developing those kind of connections. Access to exclusive events will come later.
>>
>>2947459
>Travel to a place where shit have hit the fan
>Contact small newspaper in your native country
>Try not to get killed
>Enjoy your press credentials

https://youtu.be/vU7kK3r4tg0?t=1015
>>
>>2948587
That's a super advice, thanks you alot dude
>>
>>2947459
Create fake passes, about 80% of the time people won't even question it.
>>
>>2952500
Or just have confidence. I made it through security onto the press area at a Michelle Obama rally she recently had for Hillary. No pass, no credentials. Just a god damn random guy with a camera standing next to photographers from ap, wapo, times.
>>
You need to be either:
>friends/family of the people giving accreditation
>sucking dick
>shit hot at networking

I've gained some accreditation to sporting events at one specific venue, and they now know me so it gets a little easier to get accreditation from them again. I applied for other venues and to the sporting organization themselves and got turned down, and I'm mostly fine with that because I'm young and dog shit at network.

At the last event there was one guy
>pretty fat dude, in a dress shirt and boat shoes (it was raining and cold as fuck)
>gets closer and see he's either using a film body, or one of those direct replicas that's a point and shoot dressed as a film camera
>his wife is with him, kit nikon and what looks like an 18-55, he's rolling with maybe a 50mm
>I've wishing I'd used a range extender on my 400mm, on a 7D so I'm actually at like 560mm
>theyre just ambling about taking random photos and chatting during the fucking event, no regard for action or the potential danger of being there

Those 2 had season media passes too, at that point I died slightly knowing they'll have them until they die
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.