[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shooting in RAW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0087[1]sm.jpg (196KB, 700x464px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0087[1]sm.jpg
196KB, 700x464px
Hey guys, I've heard a lot on here about shooting in raw and having it be superior to shooting in jpeg. Can anyone tell me why this is? I've always shot in jpeg but looking to broaden my horizons. Any tips/advice/info about shooting in raw much appreciated, I don't really understand it or how to go about it desu. Pic related, a snapshit of literally what's in front of me shot in raw and fucked about with on Photoshop.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNIKON CORPORATION
Camera ModelNIKON D5100
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/5.1
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Color Filter Array Pattern806
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)54 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:10:12 13:45:31
Exposure Time1/125 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating400
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length36.00 mm
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width700
Image Height464
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Gain ControlLow Gain Up
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
>>
you could have used google to find an answer. jpeg is compressing your image and making your image smaller so to say. With that loss you might not be able to work on your picture properly and won't be able to get things out of the lost information. Shoot in raw and work with photoshop. Jpg is only an end product while raw is a in between step.
>>
File: PA110852.jpg (797KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
PA110852.jpg
797KB, 640x800px
>Jpeg: Select white balance before you shoot. Raw: Select white balance after you shoot.
>Jpeg: Choose from very basic picture profile options before you shoot.
Raw: Carefully create a picture profile of your own, by hand, tuned for each individual image. Or, select from one of many high quality plugins, presets, filters, etc. Or a combination of the both.
>Jpeg: Be stuck with default in-camera noise reduction and sharpening, which is crude and vague due to the speed at which it must be processed on such a small device.
Raw: Carefully clean up & do spot removal after creating a custom noise reduction profile for each image. Resize your image to whatever size you need, and use any of many very high quality post sharpening tools to pull detail from your camera you might not have though possible after shooting jpegs.
>Jpeg: Highlights which go to 256 white are lost forever.
Raw: Highlight range extends past the normal "256/100%" barrier, and modern raw converters like Lightroom can interpolate vague yet colored highlight detail even beyond the raw limit.

These aren't all of the benefits of raw, just a handful which may be relevant for your next steps in photography.

>>
I've been shooting RAW/JPG(fine) with two separate memory cards since my camera has two slots. Am I wasting space shooting JPG?
>>
Also use AdobeRGB in camera and convert to web-safe or s-RGB at the last step. Much more color information preserving even more detail.
>>
>>2945161
No, you are making redundancy which can help you if/when your primary RAW card borks
Most professional/event/journalist photographers do this.
>>
One reason to shoot JPEG is because since it takes up less space if fills the buffer slower. If you only got 7 shots RAW you might get 13 JPEG. With a fast card you might get even more shots.
>>
RAW is better because jpg's are a lossy format, which is because of rotational velosidencity. A jpg loses on average 20kb of quality each year it is stored on a hard drive. This is why raw is better.
>>
>>2945211
Fuck off Ken
>>
>>2945169
Why not shoot RAW to both cards then? Any reason to save the JPG files once the precious RAWs are safe?
>>
Only thing you really have to worry about shooting RAW is that your camera can take a lower number of pictures within a short time span before freezing up.

I missed out on some closeup shots of a guy riding toward me on a longboard in a monkey mask because my camera was busy from taking pics of him from further away.
>>
>>2945139
think of a jpeg as a ready meal, a raw as a set of fresh ingredients.

The important thing when shooting raw is what you want your end outcome to be, this may be the decision between exposing for your subject and exposing to prevent any area from blowing out.

Don't worry about white balance or any of that shit, the only things that will ever change a raw are aperture, iso and shutter speed. Everything else is done in post.

Sharpening is a required part of converting raws, bayer filters inherently blur what your shooting, sharpening brings the sharpness back to where ti should be. Be careful not to oversharpen (like pretty much every in camera jpeg engine does!) or you will get nasty blocky artifacts around high contrast areas.
>>
What is the best software for begginers to do raw post proccessing?
>>
simply put, the jpeg from your camera is a picture that is already post processed with the settings of the camera body. The white balance, colorspace, hue, saturation, lightness, contrast, sharpness... are set in-camera and the output if compressed.
ofc you can edit that afterward but there is not that much data left compared to what's been caught by the sensor.

A raw file is what the sensor sends to the board. Nothing more. It's a bunch of bits, not even an image yet, with much more data to play with. Up to you to process it to your liking.
>>
>>2945139
it gives you more breathing room for mistakes and such. Being able to make a pic darker and lighter with less noise and grain than trying the same thing with a jpeg. also changing white balance afterwards was pretty gamechanging. That and the highlight slider. sure it's nice to "get ti right in the camera" but I find it better trade-off for being able to garnish the image to my liking afterwards.
>>
>>2948314
getting it right in the camera totally applies to raw files as well. The more sand you harvest, the better castle you can build with
>>
>>2945288

Can anyone answer this?
>>
>>2949445

You can shoot raw to both cards, it's just slower.

The reason I shoot raw + jpeg is that sometimes i get some really great jpegs out of my fujifilm camera and don't need to bother with RAW processing. That's pretty rare, though. I never use the jpegs on my nikon cameras.
>>
>>2945161
If you have two cards, I wouldn't worry. I don't shoot raw+jpg anymore because if I burst fire my camera gets slow as shit writing both files
>>2945184
Yeah that's a benefit but you can buy a 30 gb SD card at a store for less than 20$
>>2945211
Love when my JPGs go on a diet
>>2948181
Lightroom
>>2945139
OP the only benefit to shooting JPG is if for some reason you have to upload photos to a computer that doesn't have a driver for your raw files, and have no post processing programs at your disposal.
Also most photo journalists have to shoot JPG, post processing is looked down on in that field and can bring you under heat, also you can push JPG files to publication editors faster.
I shoot RAW because I raise shadows a lot, and it doesn't look as nice doing that to JPG files.
>>
File: DSCF4506.jpg (227KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4506.jpg
227KB, 1500x1000px
Listen to internet and shoot raw. Never learn to postprocess. JPEGs from camera look excellent. Have gigabytes upon gigabytes of .RAFs on your computer. Use JPEGs to show your photos to other people.

Equipment MakeFUJIFILM
Camera ModelX100T
Camera SoftwareDigital Camera X100T Ver1.10
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.0
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Maker Note Version0130
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:10:03 19:35:43
Exposure Time1/56 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/5.7
Brightness0.8 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeAverage
Light SourceUnknown
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length23.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width4896
Image Height3264
RenderingCustom
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
SharpnessNormal
Subject Distance RangeUnknown
SharpnessNormal
White BalanceAuto
Chroma SaturationUnknown
Flash ModeOff
Macro ModeOn
Focus ModeAuto
Slow Synchro ModeOff
Picture ModeAperture Prior AE
Continuous/Bracketing ModeOff
Blur StatusOK
Focus StatusOK
Auto Exposure StatusOK
>>
>>2949545

Thanks!
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.