[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, could use some advice. So I have been trying to self

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: charlie-sigh.jpg (53KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
charlie-sigh.jpg
53KB, 500x647px
Hey guys, could use some advice.

So I have been trying to self teach myself all of shit shit about cameras, photography, etc and I am actually starting to make a bit of headway on it, my ultimate goal is film making- I know I know, who the fuck does this guy think he is- its cool I get it.

Anyway, I want to start filming footage so that I can learn how to edit and do stuff in post but I only have a budget of about $1200 and dont want to throw it all away at the camera and lens alone. With so many cameras in the market its been pretty hard to narrow it down but I think ive come to the conclusion that the Cannon EOS 700D with an 18-135mm lens would be a good starting place.

Do you think that this is a good choice? Ive seen impressive footage- after post of course- with the 700D as that is something that matters to me allot, image quality, resolution, colors etc. I know using a DSLR I am a bit limited but its a brave new world in the film game.

Thoughts? Thanks everyone, I hope you are all having a good october.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width500
Image Height647
>>
The 18-135 will not be a great lens, it's a kit lens that covers a broad range of field of views. Do you know that you need that much zoom? If not I would recommend investing in a nice prime instead. You can probably get a prime with a larger aperture (more light and control of depth of field) and for video you might want a 28mm or 50mm equivalent to learn with (~18mm or ~35mm).
>>
>>2944466
Would you recommend getting a cannon 60d or 70d for full frame or would a 700 still be okay?
>>
>>2944477
Don't get a full frame camera

get the 700d and those 28mm and 50mm primes
>>
>>2944482
Why dont get full frame? From my understanding aren't they better?
>>
>>2944507
>$1200 budget

You could get a body for that price, but you won't have a lens.
Full frame is a hefty money burner and you don't have the budget for it to start off with.
>>
>>2944512
Okay, thank you. Do you have any recommendations for lenses? If I am not using a Full frame won't it fuck with the video through compression (if that is the right term), if so, should I get a prime 50mm to account for such things?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, the learning curb is steep.
>>
>>2944432
Canon are cat penis tier bad for video, I've seen 2nd hand a7s within your budget, which is god tier.

Remember, for good video you want manual focus and aperture lenses and will probably want gimbles and cages in the future. There's more hobbyist kit available for the sony than any other body and you can use any old lens on them.

The canon sensor is around 6 years or more behind Sony, it's biggest downfall is its high iso performance, which is obviously super important for video with your limited shutter speeds.
>>
>>2944432
Dont listen to >>2944482 as he clearly doesnt even know, just like you, that a 70d isnt full frame.

For your budget (and i suspect your brand preference), you should try and get a 70d either from ebay or craigslist. The value in terms of quality from a prime lens over a zoom doesnt carry ovee much for video, so I wouldnt worry too much if all you can afford is a kit lens. After all, youre gonna probably want to get a mic (a Rode in the lower end is about $100) and a stabilizer (cheap one from Amazon around ~$125 should be enough to satisfy your needs) as soon as possible.
>>
>>2944517
>Compression
If you mean the flatness of the image relative to the background, then yes. However it's less likely to be much of a difference to you starting out. You don't need meme tier bokeh and shit corner sharpness. Equivalent lenses on APS-C will do you just fine.

If you mean digital compression, as in quality. Nope.
This is one of the times where one word means two things with an overlap.
>>2944525
I love when people misread things. I love autism and the normiefag autists on this board sometimes.
>>2944524
As much as I hate to agree with our no 1 elected Sony shill. A camera like the A7s or micro four turds/APS-C mirrorless is generally better for video due to the ability to adapt primes.

Aperture control is key, and the EF mount is very limited in that respect.
>>
>>2944525
Id also like to add that you shouldnt for any reason be getting a 700d. In terms of Canons that were made specifically for video in mind: 80d, 70d, T6s. In that order. Get whichever one you want but used. Ive seen 80d go for about 900 on craigslist.

>>2944528
>I read the wiki so I know what im talking about
>>
>>2944528
I would love an A7s but they seem a bit out of my price range with a lens in mind as well :/
>>
File: meme image.jpg (235KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
meme image.jpg
235KB, 1920x1080px
>>2944531
>>
>>2944534
Did you even read what i said? I read the source blog for that image and it isnt video. Im trying to wrap my head around what sort of point you were trying to prove.
>>
>>2944535
I don't care.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why you feel the need to be a jerk on the internet.
>>
>>2944537
Because youre giving out wrong information to someone asking for help and with the intention of spending 1200 based on what people here tell him.
>>
>>2944540
Give him the correct information. I think your reading comprehension is way off though, so to give you a chance to redeem yourself I'm replying to you.

Now you have to reply with the correct information or will forever be known as that jerk on the internet who replies to posts without being helpful
>>
>>2944533
A $20 pentax 50mm f1.7 will give far better image quality than the zoom you mentioned in your first post. For video, there's very little need to ever spend more than $50 to $100 on a lens.
>>
>>2944432
If you're concerned about budget, don't get a full frame. Most movies/video you've seen in your life weren't shot on full frame either.
Look up Super 35, or just read about other film formats and aspect ratios in motion picture industry.
While full frame in motion pictures has been around for a while, it wasn't until the last decade that it became common place for video cameras to be full frame.
But RED has non full frame cams, and the canon c300 isn't either, both very popular for modern video work.
You can buy a canon dslr, Nikon, Sony alpha, even a cheap ass Sony nex for video work.
I had friends do video work, you'll find yourself spending a lot of money on rig bullshit, so it's good to save money on camera gear.
>>
>>2944547
Refer to >>2944525
>>
>>2944550
Oh, thanks.

Glad to see I was right. You are semi-retarded, Yeah. I get to be the jerk now. I was calling you out for your reading comprehension. I should have stated I wasn't the anon you actually replied to, I was just calling you an autist with poor reading comprehension, which appears to be true.

I'll explain it in simple terms. That poster said Don't get a full frame camera. It's kinda thrown off considering the person they were replying to had poor English skills.
Then you replied with:
>Dont listen to >>2944482 as he clearly doesnt even know, just like you, that a 70d isnt full frame.
Which seems to imply that you for some reason thought the previous poster thought a 70D was full frame, when in fact you just didn't comprehend the chain of events.

It's okay, we all fuck up sometimes.
>>
>>2944553
Autism
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.