[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gopro Karma vs DJI Mavic Pro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_8629.jpg (45KB, 948x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8629.jpg
45KB, 948x640px
Which one should I buy?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width948
Image Height640
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2942480
Will you have money left over for lube?

I heard taking that in the ass dry would hurt a lot
>>
File: solo.jpg (258KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
solo.jpg
258KB, 1152x768px
>>2942480
Neither.
Save some money and buy the 3DR SOLO that is currently on sale for $400. You'll still need a GoPro for it, but a good HERO4 can be had cheap if you don't already have a HERO3+ or better, and still spend less than the newest kit.

I have both the SOLO and a Phantom3Pro, and have flown many other types. SOLO is currently the absolute best bang for your buck.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
PhotographerKF5EQV
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:05:01 20:43:05
Exposure Time1/160 sec
F-Numberf/5.0
Exposure ProgramNot Defined
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/5.0
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length150.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2942549
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3dr-3dr-solo-drone-with-gimbal-rechargeable-battery-extra-propellers-and-backpack/9999271200050001.p?skuId=9999271200050001

forgot the link
>>
>>2942549
The Mavic is way more portable. Might also be a more stable drone. I think there is a good reason to get that one anyhow.

> 3DR SOLO for $400
Apparently $500 and cost of GoPro not included.

You could instead buy a Xiaomi, and that one has a gimbal and 2km range.
>>
>>2942565
Ok, well it was $400 last week, price is going back up it seems.

As for MAVIC, I'm sure it's a good UAV and if your the type who would rather spend top dollar on whatever is brand new then save and get the previous generation then that would be the one to get.
>>
>>2942568
> if your the type who would rather spend top dollar on whatever is brand new
I don't feel like buying anything old indeed.

Again, you can get a Xiaomi for ~$500 with the gimbal *and* camera, or have an amazing DiY one from typical parts, both brand new.

The Mavic is probably just worth its money 'cause it is extremely easy to carry and use and works just great - something most people might be looking for.
>>
>>2942480
Welp, one of these 2 will be my 1st drone.

People are always going to say there is something better and cheaper and thats fair enough. But the way I see it is that the karma comes as a complete package. And GoPro is a brand I know works. (I will wait for honest customer reviews 1st though) Also like the fact that it has a detectable gimble and a separate remote.

But then on the flip side the DJI is a very good brand and the size of the mavic is unreal. So for some1 thats never had a drone the attention it may draw can be quite over whelming the smaller of the 2 will be less conspicuous. Ive never been a fan of sticking your phone on the controller but the way this 1 has been made is nothing short of perfect.

Just looked at the 3DR SOLO and it looks cheap and the foldablity is 0.

Yes, now the drone market is going to be flooded with foldable drones and some I'm sure just as good and much cheaper than these current 2. As for deciding which, I'll most likely go with the karma but it will be a split decision once I do purchase 1.
>>
>>2942480
DIY drone with Pixhawk and Xiaomi Yi cam on a hobbyking gimbal. 1/5-1/3 of the price of a ready made boxed in toy like a DJI or any other shit. And better quality.
>>
>>2942578
> And GoPro is a brand I know works.
DJI has been to the drone business quite a bit longer.

> Also like the fact that it has a detectable gimble
So has the Xiaomi. Also a bigger brand, by the way.

> ll most likely go with the karma
I wouldn't, but it's your money.
>>
>>2942581
Yea, if you can DiY, you can get to this at a lower price:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaE1qEnIWs

Also much higher salvage rates when you crash. Which might actually happen less with all the failsafes and sensors you can set up on DiY drones.
>>
>>2942578
GoPro drone will likely be a disaster. They have been hyping the upcoming Karma (lol) drone for years now, and just now got this thing to market. IMO probably full of compromise and cut corners.

+1 on DIY drones.
>>
File: yi-erida.jpg (37KB, 715x400px) Image search: [Google]
yi-erida.jpg
37KB, 715x400px
>>2942596
Yep. I'm expecting nothing.
>>
>>2942581
>>2942590
Neither offers the portability, or travelability of the Mavic - and to a lesser extent the Karma.

For dicking around with drones as a pure activity, sure, they're better bang for buck and a better unit. But for the likelihood of having the device somewhere worth using it, I like the idea of the Mavic personally.
>>
>>2942671
It doesn't take much to make a folding arm frame. Stop being a lazy artfag!
>>
>>2942759
Stop projecting your DIY spirit on me!
>>
>>2942576
For the time and effort it's gonna take me to get all the parts. The tools and materials for the job. I'd rather just buy it pre made.

The time I spend on making it.. I can do over time at work and earn eother of the drone twice over.

Also a any drone build I see on youtube has been a little x wing thing built for racing. With no gimble. And a shitty camera.

I'm here taking about things for aerial photography. Not a child's toy
>>
So, I am dumb about drones, but kind of interested.

Could I mount essentially any small lightweight camera (say an m4/3 with a prime) onto one of these drones (DIY or pre-made), or does it have to be a shitty action or integrated camera?

I'm not really interested in the fake and gay fisheye look or gnat of a dynamic range you get with those. Actually, video is a very secondary interest for me in the first place, stills would be the thing for me.
>>
>>2943045
> Could I mount essentially any small lightweight camera (say an m4/3 with a prime) onto one of these drones (DIY or pre-made), or does it have to be a shitty action or integrated camera?
You can but it requires a bigger drone. The battery packs and motors can be immensely powerful but you of course still need some battery weight to achieve flight times.

Getting to 20 ish minutes isn't hard with good batteries however even on a DIY copter.

> shitty action or integrated camera
They're not usually much worse than a shitty m4/3 though, and it may be more common sense to use these because, well, you could still crash, and loosing a $100 gimbal and a $5 camera case is cheaper than loosing a $700 lens and sending the camera to a $120 repair of the external case. Or a total drone loss (unlikely as that may be on a DiY drone with GPS and buzzer, who knows...)

Really, this or something like it isn't very bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6ficQM-Yg

MFT won't do all that much better until you lift >$1k of equipment
>>
>>2942918
> For the time and effort it's gonna take me to get all the parts. The tools and materials for the job. I'd rather just buy it pre made.
You should be able to do the order in 2h if you're not going crazy.

> The time I spend on making it.. I can do over time at work and earn eother of the drone twice over.
Another two-four hours. But maybe?

It's still going to add cost over time. DIY will let you do upgrades to your next drone (need that better GPS module or the hotter software or a ground laser meter on top of your ground radar? That's ~$30 each rather than $1000 with all new equipment).

> Also a any drone build I see on youtube has been a little x wing thing built for racing. With no gimble. And a shitty camera.
They're obviously more popular.

Doesn't make it a problem to find 30 different gimbals (http://www.banggood.com/search/gimbal.html / http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__960__501__Multi_Rotors_Drones_Parts-Camera_Gimbals.html), that can use basically any damn camera you want.

And the devices you get on the drones discussed are exactly sports cameras anyhow.

> I'm here taking about things for aerial photography. Not a child's toy
Big words, but you're not more of an adult for being ignorant and wanting instant satisfaction. And you are certainly not lifting more srs photo/video equipment with a pre-made consumer drone.
>>
>>2942918
A childs toy is exactly the DJI Phantom and derivatives (inspire 1 and mavic etc). A serious DJI platform has the Wookong flight controler. All those shit have the Naza which is a dumbed down piece of gimped shit. Also the motors and motor controllers are dogshit, you can get better ones for half the price.
A 3DR Pixhawk costs 1/10th the price of a Wookoong and does more, you can make your frame as big as you want and don't have to live by with the boxed toys limited dimensions. You can put whatever gimbal, gimbal drive and camera you want on, not to mention the video transmitter can be as powerful you dare to order. Again, no limitations.
Buying ready made is stupid, lazy and wasteful.
>>
File: 24drone-web-master1050.jpg (182KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
24drone-web-master1050.jpg
182KB, 1050x700px
>>2942918
>"I'm here taking about things for aerial photography. Not a child's toy"
>asks for advice on which 'new this month' model of consumer grade BestBuy trash to buy, then doesn't listen to and argues with the adults who offer advice

Just buy what you want and quit wasting our time with your pretentious "I'm a real areola-photographer" BS. You obviously don't know the first thing about it and are not willing to listen to those who do. Have fun with your eminent fly-away or crash because you think you know better than anyone else.
>Pic related is OP's drone in about 3 months tops.
>>
>>2943115
>>2943132
>>2943145
Not sure if samefagging or 3 different people.

But sorry I don't think you seem to understand the point I was trying to portray. I'm you're average Joe. I have no experience in building drones. Even if I wanted to try I'd have to buy tools for the job (Adding to the cost). Plus I wouldn't know how to order all the parts and the soldering.. don't get me started on that. I can't solder for shit.

Adding things and not adding things to the drone will be complicated to. I'm sure I can spend time on Google researching it but this is what I mean about putting hours in at work over research. The actual build time may very well be 2-4 hours. The research isn't though.

And il check those sites thanks. The only youtube ones I have seen was small racing drones. Not for photography and filming high quality...

I also seen that you have to get the propellers usage just right for it to fly stable. I wouldn't know how to do that.

So far play to you if you can. But personally I would rather just buy it made and ready to go.

Also I'm not OP.
>>
What would be a good practice to not lose much money while still being able to upgrade to new drone tech as it comes?

I hate the idea of spending €1000+ on a nice drone and then realize a year or more after that it's worth 1/3 or nothing and 10x better stuff exist on all features.

Do you use it sparingly and sell it after the novelty wears off? Perhaps a DIY thing you can always strip and replace with separate new, and better, parts as time goes on? I can imagine the latter is only applicable to a certain degree.
>>
>>2942549
>go pro
just strap a xiaomi on it.

>>2942480
you can detach the go pro and use it as a handheld gimbal. that's 2 device in 1.
>>
>>2942918
>not building his own drone
>it's not fun
go ahead and flip your burger.
>>
>>2943109
that camera made her boob bigger.
>>
>>2942590
What type of video transmitter is this and how far does wlan reach? I doubt that dji's "stick your phone on the controller" idea is a good one.
>>
>>2943311
> I hate the idea of spending €1000+ on a nice drone and then realize a year or more after that it's worth 1/3 or nothing and 10x better stuff exist on all features.
DIY is the way to go then.

> Perhaps a DIY thing you can always strip and replace with separate new, and better, parts as time goes on? I can imagine the latter is only applicable to a certain degree.
No, it's almost fully applicable with DIY. You just swap out parts, maybe update or configure your open sauce firmware, then use your upgrade.
>>
>>2942480
Xiaomi MiDrone. Or >>2942549
With the Xiaomi Yi 4k
>>
>>2943246
Average Joe shouldn't want to fly a drone. You have to learn how to properly pilot one in manual or auto level if you want to do aerial photography.
For that your best bet is to DIY a simple quad and learn the dos and don'ts on it, after that you won't want to buy a boxed ready made piece of shit.
If you don't want to put in the effort to learn about it then you shouldn't do it in the first place.
Average Joes are exactly the idiots getting arrested for flying drones and crashing them into stuff, civic buildings, planes and people.
>>
>>2943536
> What type of video transmitter is this
According to his comments on that video: Boscam FPV 5.8G 200mW, ~$14.4 on Banggood.

> how far does wlan reach
Some of it probably the solar system and arrive at some other galaxy at some point.

But for an usable signal: Depends on sender, receiver, atmospheric conditions.

That said, I think most drone-related things prefer to use non-WLAN transmissions when possible, WLAN is AFAIK mostly for direct control with smartphones, and the range on that is probably like 100m or something.

> I doubt that dji's "stick your phone on the controller" idea is a good one.
I don't think it's a bad idea, but flying with goggles on is less distracting.
>>
>>2943536
>wlan
the fact the flying remote is operating at 2.4GHz does not make it a wifi. Video transmitters can be 900MHz, 1200MHz, 2.4GHz (you have to use other bands than 2.4GHz for flying remote) and 5.8GHz. There are many types from close range lightweight to medium range and some high power bit-more-than-medium range.
>>
>>2943596
>Average Joe shouldn't want to fly a drone

What kind of stupid comment is that lol
>>
>>2943687
An accurate one. Selfie sticks are bad enough, just wait until every other retard is trying to fly a drone. Anywhere with people is going to be a total mess.
>>
>>2943687
I too don't mind them using lightweight plastic quads like a JJRC H31 or CX10 or something. They really almost can't do any serious harm to people or even scratch a car.

But average Joe shouldn't be trusted with operating flying 300 gram+ objects that can go in excess of 100km/h. Average Joe shouldn't even be trusted to be able to handle a detached propeller of that size.

That should be left to "geeks" who understand that shit and have the awareness to generally fly safe and deal with .
>>
>>2943599
>>2943601
>operating at 2.4GHz does not make it a wifi
Obviously, I'm used to rc helicopters. Thanks guys.

The thing is I don't trust wlan connections because of little range inside buildings and maybe underestimate its range on open area.
So stopped a friend from buying a 800 EUR video/photography drone since for video it relayed on wlan devices prepared with an app.

I'd like to advise my friend to build a drone himself. But how can I recommend so, if even I do not know shit in terms of multicopters. The only electric on rc helicopters are gyroscopes to keep the heading.
>>
>>2943709
> So stopped a friend from buying a 800 EUR video/photography drone since for video it relayed on wlan devices prepared with an app.
Probably a good call.

If you must have a premade device, at least have one that receives video data with the remote and tethers it to a smartphone so you get some range.

> But how can I recommend so, if even I do not know shit in terms of multicopters.
Maybe because it's documented online and relatively easy and relatively cheap to do with the typical parts?

Besides, the Chinese pre-build and sell various drones that you still can modify, maintain and upgrade just fine - they're made of the same parts and mounted on the same kinds of DIY frames. But eh, I actually think you can build one easy enough.
>>
File: 1475655238313.jpg (75KB, 750x732px) Image search: [Google]
1475655238313.jpg
75KB, 750x732px
Because of faggots like you, EASA is going BAN all "drones" (it's a fucking multirotor ffs) in Europe and "license" dumbfucks who do "aerial photography "so fucking hard that your anal canal and your emotional well being will never be the same. USA started that shit now everyone will follow.

Thanks DJI.
>>
>>2944124

But now seriosly since this whole "GPS assited toy with camera strapon" began I wanted to fucking kill everyone involved selling it to mumbling retards that never even tried RC model flying or know anything about it. And here we are the cancer reached the pretentious faggots of /p/ aswell. Do everyone a favor and crash your shit toys on your own heads.

Yes I'm mad.
>>
File: 18qsnj.jpg (122KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
18qsnj.jpg
122KB, 720x480px
>>2944128
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.